Why I won't be buying the Kaiser ...

Guest Subliminal Aura

Guest jimbouk

Turn off the O homescreen...

I have had an M500 (fast and responsive)

A JAMin (M600) - slow

An M3100 - slow with original rom - pretty fast with cooked roms

and a Tytn2 - fast and reliable.

only places i personally can think that $ is used often is:

shell scripts

php

visual/q basic

and tcl

all of which i avoid like the plague (for good reason) and also by the way all seem to be scripting languages

but i might just be an elitist ar$ehol€ (oh look another use!) looking to pick a holier-than-thou fight about languages ;)

*chuckle*

edit:

if i program on my device, i use a BT keyboard

another edit:

having a vanilla sim free htc branded unit i could play 720x304 800mb divx's at just over 120% with tcpmp

yet another edit:

i honestly dont think that wm6 is really taking full control of what the chipset has to offer - if you look at the specs of the msm73200 (which is what the kaiser runs) its pretty meaty

Edited by fusi

Guest gs_london
lol - that's one big assumption you're making there.

For example, being a Perl developer (I think that makes lots of use of $ char), or someone who SSH to a Linux box, does not make a Windows Mobile PDA app developer (nor gives you the tools and dev software to do it - note that the free editions of VS2005 do not include support for developing WM apps).

You have got me thinking, perl running on Windows Mobile

Hmm

Lightweight, Powerful, existing wrappers available for win32

would it work?

has it been done?

Guest blackhorse
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhh

Been playing with my orange Kaiser for an hour now and it is RUBBISH.

My 3630 was and still is the fastest and most responsive PDA I've ever owned - and I've owned a fair few.

Why is this thing so bloooming slow ? Is it the orange rom ?

OK Think I have seen the problem : Task manager reports no tasks running whereas memory manager shows them ! Quick kill and things start to run smoothly but again not as smooth is my cherished 3630.

These things are getting slower and slower to boot up also.

I am dreading to see how slow tomtom works on this thing - I guess I can still try tomtom 3 to speed things up ;)

Overall : 7/10 (which is pretty good coming from me)

Now im confused, the title of this thread is why you wont buy the kaiser.

But this above post clearly states you bought one!

Guest Subliminal Aura
Now im confused, the title of this thread is why you wont buy the kaiser.

But this above post clearly states you bought one!

Yeh well mistakes happen I needed a replacement PDA and the Kaiser fitted the bill.

I didn't want to have to go through the pain of customise this taht and the other hence the reason why I started the thread.

3 weeks on I have flashed the ROM 3 times and only now am I semi happy with it.

Edit: If I were an end user who did not have the ability to flash this device then I would have to say that I would have found the device sluggish and not practical.

Edited by Subliminal Aura

Guest jimbouk
Edit: If I were an end user who did not have the ability to flash this device then I would have to say that I would have found the device sluggish and not practical.

Whereas those of us using their devices with the original roms supplied with the device who dont find their devices sluggih and impractical...?

Guest Subliminal Aura
Whereas those of us using their devices with the original roms supplied with the device who dont find their devices sluggih and impractical...?

Easy tiger - let's not troll the web ;). It's all subjective to each individuals needs and wants. Some people are happy to wait a few seconds longer for apps to open whereas some are kind(a) impatient - like me.

At the end of the day it comes down to user experience and their past experiences that dictates how they will find the new platform that they are moving on to. In this respect I have to agree with you.

As so far as the Kaiser is concerned it has more than enough power under the hood such that I found it disappointing if not very angry/annoyed to see it wasted by the supplied software and ROMs.

Just my personal feelings thats all.

Edited by Subliminal Aura

Guest jimbouk
Easy tiger - let's not troll the web ;). It's all subjective to each individuals needs and wants. Some people are happy to wait a few seconds longer for apps to open whereas some are kind(a) impatient - like me.

At the end of the day it comes down to user experience and their past experiences that dictates how they will find the new platform that they are moving on to. In this respect I have to agree with you.

As so far as the Kaiser is concerned it has more than enough power under the hood such that I found it disappointing if not very angry/annoyed to see it wasted by the supplied software and ROMs.

Just my personal feelings thats all.

I wasnt trolling at all. Just trying to balance the thread so that people who read it don't think that O's rom is fundamentally flawed.

I have moved from a M3100, that I flashed with about 15 different WM6 roms to get it to exactly how I liked it. My Tytn2 is running the original O rom, I have simply removed the O homescreen,and done a few of the other performance tweaks that an experienced WM user would do (like turning off noises such as menu clicks and screen taps) and my device is flying along.

Despite being an experienced user and despite having flashed roms many times (so many that I have all my preferred device settings in cabs on my storage card for quick set up post flash), I love the fact that I spent about 15 minutes setting my device up the way I like it - and when i ask it to check my pop email accounts, it does so in about five seconds. Thats five seconds from pressing send receive to it actually showing me my first email on the screen. The O rom is not slow.

Guest mikeeey

The screen is pretty good sized to me. even tho it's the standard 2.8, i still really like it. and yes it does have a $ sign (on the AT&T Tilt model atleast). i really like tephone, and more and mroe things are being done to it making the device even more better. on xda developers they're trying to get some driver updates to most software and games can take advantage of it's 7200 chipset.

once again, it's a great phone.