The official HTC Wings (S730) 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

No because a. TomTom aren't developing for Smartphone nowadays (v6 is PPC only) and b. the GPS doesn't seem to work (left with a view of the sky all night, no fix).

P

TOMTOM 5.1 work perfect in SPV E650 (HTC S710) and i'm using TOMTOM NAVIGATOR 6 on the same device with Fakecursor.

Can you try in your HTC S730?

Guest Paul (MVP)

I imagine TomTom 5.1 will work fine (although i'll try it when I get a min), I don't feel TT6 with Fakecursor is an acceptable user experience for me however!

P

I imagine TomTom 5.1 will work fine (although i'll try it when I get a min), I don't feel TT6 with Fakecursor is an acceptable user experience for me however!

P

ok, give me a reply when you try TOMTOM.

Thank's a lot.

Guest Monolithix

The GPS is enabled, and is detectable through apps like Google Maps (i'd guess). It just isnt locking onto any satellites, which to me would indicate a lack of/poor effort in design of antenna...(which we saw before on some other HTC device, the hermes i think?)

Thanks Monolithix, it's just that I noted if you search htc S730 in YouTube you can see GPS working on a device in Israel, I assume it's the internal GPS and not external as there would be no point as that can be done on a S710/E650. Check it out and tell me what you think...thanks looby ;)

post-116892-1193309456_thumb.jpg

Edited by Looby

How's the S730 for playing games, e.g. warfare incorporated, cubis, explode arena etc?

How does the keyboard compare to say the S710, THC Dash and/or Samsung I600?

Does either Vito Auto notes or Resco Audio Recorder work on the S730?

How smooth (e.g. not very or very) does TCPMP player work on the S730 with .WMV video files?

When you have time could you post details on 'real usage' battery life?

Guest timcroydon

My understanding is that the chipset the phone uses (Qualcomm MSM7200) has GPS processing capability, but there is no physical GPS antenna in the phone so you're unlikely to get a signal.

Guest HerpezP
The GPS module is a bit flaky at first. The native version of Google Maps wouldn't find any satellite because it wouldn't hook up to Windows' GPS libraries for some reason. We had to use a little trick. Run this application first to "wake up" the GPS, and then Google Maps worked perfectly.

http://www.osnews.com/story.php/18810/Revi...TN-II-(Kaiser)/

Don't know if it will make any different if you try that application.

Guest MrProchy

What about the Camera? Can u post some sample pics, please? Is the auto-focus present? It is possible to capture A4 size paper with 8-10pt height text?

Thx for ur answers.

Guest hotlips69

Paul.

There have been a lot of interesting questions asked on this thread that have gone completely ignored so far that I'd love to know the answers to.

Do you plan to acknowledge and/or answer them please?

In addition, my question relates to whether it is technically possible to "upgrade" the amount of RAM in the S730 as you can in a PC or laptop with additionnal or replacement RAM somehow?

Paul.

There have been a lot of interesting questions asked on this thread that have gone completely ignored so far that I'd love to know the answers to.

Do you plan to acknowledge and/or answer them please?

;) Yeah come on Paul. You know how much money you make from us by kindly running your FREE site. At least answer every question. It's not as if you have anything else to do. :(

Edited by Chiz

Guest Paul (MVP)

Hey peeps, the questions are noted, and I will answer them.

I'm primarily occupied at the moment with trying to determine if my handset is faulty, and if so, sourcing another one.

I'm also gonna put up some vids all being well, to show you how snappy the interface is ;)

P

HTC have confirmed it does, but it's not supported. I think I know why now, unless my unit is faulty of course!

P

I have also heard much about the GPS on the S730. Here is a picture showing google maps....post-152455-1193908556_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.