CoPilot 7 from ALK available this week

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest hotphil

I've found the traffic a 'nice to have' but of limited use for the amount of driving I do. I'm also with you on not having to have a separate receiver, having it onboard on my V1615 is most welcome - one less thing to charge and carry around. I think I'm going to have a look at a TT software licence, iirc it's cheaper than £85 for UK-only and their community sharing map data thingy is already up and running (ALK's won't be until 2008 Q1 at earliest).

Anyone tried both CP and TT on Windows Mobile device and got an opinion on which is better?

Edited by hotphil

Guest nevawlkalone

Do they have a trial version of this? Im dying to get the GPS working on my Vario3 but cant seem to suss it out (google maps etc doesnt get a connection but GPS does work.....or i could be being a n00b lol ;) )

I want to try this as it looks hot but dont want to shell out if i cant get it to function.

Cheers

M

You would have thought that when they announce the new version in a press release in February and then wait until October to have orders on their WWW site, that once that deadline passes, then they really would be set up to take orders.

Yesterday, their WWW site said that they would be ready to take orders today. Today, it says that they will be ready to take orders tomorrow. I like bits of CP6, but as a company, they are a joke.

Guest hotphil

LOL. Just seen that too. Gotta wonder about a company that can't organise taking orders for a product on an advertised date. Doesn't give confidence that they'll be able to ship it or that the product will be ready for market. That's my decision made - I'm off to Tom Tom for £67 for SD-card based Europe maps.... Pity, as I kinda got used to CP6 (and once gone through the arduous time-consuming install/update on my V1615) was quite looking forward to a new version that might even have a 1-click install. I had installed the TT taster edition and it was much easier.

Guest jimbouk
I've found the traffic a 'nice to have' but of limited use for the amount of driving I do. I'm also with you on not having to have a separate receiver, having it onboard on my V1615 is most welcome - one less thing to charge and carry around. I think I'm going to have a look at a TT software licence, iirc it's cheaper than £85 for UK-only and their community sharing map data thingy is already up and running (ALK's won't be until 2008 Q1 at earliest).

Anyone tried both CP and TT on Windows Mobile device and got an opinion on which is better?

I have been using TT 6 for the last couple of weeks, having used Copilot Live 6 for the last year. TomTom Home (the desktop interface) is quite good - if a little intrusive - and on the Tytn2, TT is very usable. BUT, and I dont think its just because of what I am used to, I find Copliot more useful - particularly the free safety cameras!

TomTom's onscreen keyboard was a bit easier to use than Copilots but I use the hardware keyboard anyway, so its a moot point.

Guest hotphil

For those that are interested I got a response as to why ALK have delayed the order date for CP7:

"> Dear Phil,

>

> Thank you for contacting CoPilot Technical Support.

>

> Please note that we are currently awaiting stock and will launch the software for purchase as soon as possible. Please bear with us.

>

> If you have any further questions, or feel that this incident has not been resolved to your satisfaction, please do not hesitate to bring this to our attention.

>

> Regards,"

Guest nuttyphilt

I'd be interested to read how it compares to TomTom. I've used Copilot 6 in the past and found it clearer than TomTom when giving directions but not very intuitive when it comes to setting it up and general 'finger friendliness'. For this reason I now use TomTom, but from the screenshots it looks like they've made progress on this front...

Guest Phil Lee

I have another question about CP7. Does it recognise when the keyboard is opened on the VIII and switch to the correct landscape orientation? Maporama didn't, only having one landscape orientation which was the wrong way round for the Kaiser.

Guest Socrates

Are those screen shots of the PPC version? Looks like it. If so, can you do some snaps of the Smartphone version? Thanks.

How complicated is it to move it to a bigger sd card? Is it just copy and paste?

Also this part: "activated online for your device"

How strict is the activation? If you activate it on one phone, do you have to rebuy it if you replace the phone?

Guest Paul (MVP)

They are of the PPC version, yeah. Sure, I'll install it on the S730 ;)

It's a piece of cake to move. I would have to check with ALK, but you seem to be able to 'deactivate' it on a device, then acitvate it on another.

P

Guest wwaveydave
Awesome. Thanks for the info.

You'll get the standard auto run folder on your SD. You can copy and install this on any device.

You then have to deactivate it on the old device, then you will be prompted on first launch to enter your key and activate it on your new device.

It's dead easy. 5 minute job.

If you don't have a GPRS connection you have to email ALK and they'll send you a new activation code.

Again, my response for this was almost instantaneous from ALK.

Paul,

I was wondering if you could check a few things for me on CP7.

1. Can you see if the new link road from the A1 (Blackcat rounderbout) to the M1 is shown on the map

2. If you look at Bourne, Lincs, PE10 9 can you see if there is a road linking the A15 to the A151 from the South of the town round to the West. I only ask as even Google maps has this road missing and it has been open for over 2 years now

Regards

Kimbie

Guest nuttyphilt

As part of the T-Mobile Copilot 6 packages you got free traffic updates so I sent ALK an email asking if the free traffic will carry on with an upgrade to Copilot 7:

I currently have Copilot Live 6 which came with my phone as part of a T-Mobile package. This package includes the free traffic updates. I would like to upgrade to Copilot Live 7 when it's released but I want to find out if my free traffic updates will be carried forward with the new version?

This is the response:

You will need to purchase the traffic upgrade again if you upgrade to the new CoPilot Live 7 software. This is due to the compatibility of the software upgrades.

Bummer.

Guest hotphil

When I got my CP6 with my Vario, the 'free' traffic subscription was for 18 months (same as the phone contract) - it's not 'ongoing'. You may be about to run out of the 'free' period too.

Mine doesn't run out till 12 December, but I've ported my CP6 licence to my new device and ditched the Vario. Everything should keep working till December and then I'll make final decision on CP7 upgrade or TT or hardware unit.

Kinda hard to know if i'm looking in the right place, but it doesn't look promising... see below...

P

post-1-1193827875_thumb.png post-1-1193827882_thumb.png

Thanks for that Paul.

Bit of a bummer, but oh well. Do you get free map updates with CP7? or is it a pay thing?

Cheers

Kimbie

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.