CoPilot 7 from ALK available this week

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Syphon Filter

i dont have "speech" at all, in ANY language...

Just had a look at the SD card, and there is no "speech" folder...I definitely had one of those under copilot 6!!!

Guest Syphon Filter
Under the COPILOT directory on the card I have SPEECH and then a whole bunch of languages, including EN-GB!

P

Ok fixed it...

I copied the contents of the supplied 1GB MicroSD card onto my 4GB MicroSDHC card...apparently somewhere in that process the speech folder didnt get copied across! Even though everything else did? Weird...I think i now have voice on my installation. ;)

Fixed and appears to be working. Any idea how well the safety cam detection works?

It looks and feels much better than CP6. The GUI is lightyears ahead of what they had before!! I will have to reserve final judgement until I actually use it properly to go somewhere...but first impressions are great.

Guest Phil Lee

Still waiting for a reply to my query on why Live doesn't connect. Tried it on my way home and it wanted to send me the wrong way up a one way street. Bit of a problem with the map I think. Does anyone know how to add POIs to it? I'd like to include the PocketGPSWorld speec cameras.

Guest Syphon Filter
Still waiting for a reply to my query on why Live doesn't connect. Tried it on my way home and it wanted to send me the wrong way up a one way street. Bit of a problem with the map I think. Does anyone know how to add POIs to it? I'd like to include the PocketGPSWorld speec cameras.

Are the pocketGPSworld cameras more up to date or something? Also how does that compare to the "CamerAware" database?

As for sending you the wrong way up a road...does CoPilot not recognise one way streets properly?

EDIT:

Has anyone else noticed that CP7 is considerably faster than CP6 was when loading the program etc? Its really quite quick.

Edited by Syphon Filter

Guest Syphon Filter
So far it everything is going OK. The only problem I'm having is with the Live part. It doesn't seem to want to connect. I've created an account online and entered in my details on my VIII but on the Connect screen I just see Status, Status and a tick box with no text next to it.

I have exactly the same problem on my TyTN II

Guest Phil Lee

I'm going to phone ALK up today to find out what is happening. I considered the query to be non-urgent which is why I used their online form but no response in 2 days is not good enough. On the problem with trying to send me through a non-entry sign, I had the same problem with Maporama. It is a problem with the maps they use. I will ask them if there is a way of reporting mapping errors when I'm on the phone to them. As for the PocketGPSWorld database, it is way better than what is built in to CoPilot. I'm going to ask on their forum if there is a way to import POIs.

I also have some general feedback on the software. Firstly it looks great, so much better than TomTom6. The automatic switch between day and night is brilliant. The night time colour scheme is fantastic too. On the downside, I'm not entirely sure about the dashboard layout. I don't like the way you can only show pairs of information such as Distance and ETA. TT6 can show 6 pieces of info at the same time. I also don't like the way it leaves big text across the screen when you are using it without a route planned. This should be hidden along with the box for the routing arrow. I also don't like the way it forgets the destination after you turn it off. There are times when you want to turn off the program during a journey and don't want to have to reset it. I will be using it in anger for the first time on Friday so will report my findings after that.

Guest hotphil

I thought that (certainly with CP6) if you just dump an ov2 POI file in the right location, it'll pick it up when you launch the app?

In relation to a no-entry sign, that's the thing with satnav's - some folk trust them just far too much, they're an aid, but the driver still needs to be responsible for obeying any signs. It's particularly evident on a recent bus/tram only enforcement near me where I'm seeing lots of drivers blindly following their satnavs, ignoring the half dozen 5ft tall signs and getting themselves a nice £60 fine!

Guest Phil Lee

I have no problem with ignoring the sat nav, road signs are more important ;) As for the POIs, it appears that CP7 is really clever and automatically integrates the Pocket GPS World speed camera database into its own one. The OV2 and BMP files have to be put in the \Storage Card\COPILOT\EU\Save folder. When you start CP7 up it says "Integrating Updates..." then "Update Complete" then starts up. There are no custom POIs which is how things worked in CP6 (from reading websites) but there are additional safety camera POIs on the map which weren't there before I imported the database. I'll report back on my drive home from work tonight but if that is the case then CP7 works much better than TT6.

Guest jimbouk

Live 6 imported cameras too. You just went to the ALK support site and could download the monthly update (for free) and it would install itself over activesync and then treat them as a type of POI (which you could select or not).

(Although when I first bought Live 6 it wasnt free so I signed up for PocketGPSWOLRD for an annual sub too...).

If yours tries to send you the wrong way up a one way street, its not copilots fault. It will be down to Navtek - who supply the maps. They are working on correcting issues like that all the time - but councils keep changing them!

Guest Phil Lee
Live 6 imported cameras too. You just went to the ALK support site and could download the monthly update (for free) and it would install itself over activesync and then treat them as a type of POI (which you could select or not).

(Although when I first bought Live 6 it wasnt free so I signed up for PocketGPSWOLRD for an annual sub too...).

In CP7 the cameras supplied from the CP website are not complete for the area I drive in, that's why I wanted to install the Pocket GPS World ones. CP7 does appear to have integrated the Pocket GPS World POIs into its own safety camera database rather than in a custom POI group like in CP6. This is really good if it has actually done this. I will report whether I get any warnings on my drive home from work tonight.

If yours tries to send you the wrong way up a one way street, its not copilots fault. It will be down to Navtek - who supply the maps. They are working on correcting issues like that all the time - but councils keep changing them!

The particular road I refer to has been one way for at least 9 years. I appreciate that it is a Navteq problem. It would be nice to find somewhere to report it for correction. edit: I see I can report an error on the Navteq website. I'm going to do that now.

Edited by Phil Lee

Guest jackofall

After taking all day to give me the same solution in the same ticket! They have escalted it to thier superiors and will email me tomorrow as they cant call mobiles, which is useful when supporting software for mobiles.

Edited by jackofall

Guest Syphon Filter
After taking all day to give me the same solution in the same ticket! They have escalted it to thier superiors and will email me tomorrow as they cant call mobiles, which is useful when supporting software for mobiles.

Yeah I thought it was odd they ask for a landline number only too!

Guest Phil Lee

I've managed to get the Pocket GPS World database into CoPilot Live 7. It took a bit of work though. Here's what I did.

On a hunch I decided to look at the supplied memory card for CP7. I had never inserted this into my VIII, having copied all the files onto my 6Gb microSD card to install the software. In the \CoPilot\EU\Save folder there were only two files, safetycam.bmp and safetycam.csv. The format of the csv file is very simple. It has the following columns:

Camera, Speed, Heading, Longitude, Latitude,Type

The first 5 columns are self explanatory. All the entries had A in the Type column. I created a spreadsheet to convert the Pocket GPS World downloadable CSV into this format. I saved the file as safetycam.csv then did the following:

1. Browse to \Storage Card\COPILOT\EU\Save and delete all files beginning with AO

1916866305_33080e930e.jpg

2. Copy safetycam.csv to the \Storage Card\COPILOT\EU\Save folder

3. Start CoPilot 7. You will see the following screen:

1917697050_04f398d4c8.jpg

When the installation is complete you will see the following screen:

1917697366_f5d7bcc25e.jpg

CoPilot 7 will then start up with the new speed camera database installed.

Should you wish to go back to the ALK supplied speed camera database follow the instruction on their support site here.

Guest Phil Lee

Around South Manchester it misses out a lot. It also has some with incorrect speed limited in. There are 5405 cameras in the supplied database. The Pocket GPS World one has 11686 cameras in it. I thought it would be good to use this one since I'd already subscribed to it for a year.

Guest Paul (MVP)

A good proportion of the PocketGPS DB is mobile sites tho, which I guess aren't on CoPilot. That said, the PGPS database has more than 5405 static cameras IIRC...

P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.