CoPilot 7 from ALK available this week

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Syphon Filter
So I assume mobile and redlight aren't in the CoPilot DB.

I still disagree with the concept of alerting people to redlight cameras...

P

Paul,

Where does CamerAware get it's DB from?

Guest Gorskar
Cool ;)

Thanks for the info

I'm still trying to decide whether to go for CP7 (I have an old version, so should be eligible for the discounted upgrade) or something else.

Free speed cameras is good as is the new interface.

However I'm very wary of the fact that they've removed the spoken road names in this version, to be reintroduced "soon".

Also I'd like to know about the traffic updates - the description page (http://www.alk.eu.com/copilot/default.asp) mentions TMC updates. Do you know if this works in the UK and if so is it free/cheap?

It slightly irritates me that they don't have a download version, as the 1GB microSD card is pretty useless (id just copy it to my 2GB one), and id rather save the money on the card + shipping

Guest Syphon Filter
I'm still trying to decide whether to go for CP7 (I have an old version, so should be eligible for the discounted upgrade) or something else.

Free speed cameras is good as is the new interface.

However I'm very wary of the fact that they've removed the spoken road names in this version, to be reintroduced "soon".

Also I'd like to know about the traffic updates - the description page (http://www.alk.eu.com/copilot/default.asp) mentions TMC updates. Do you know if this works in the UK and if so is it free/cheap?

It slightly irritates me that they don't have a download version, as the 1GB microSD card is pretty useless (id just copy it to my 2GB one), and id rather save the money on the card + shipping

Yeah, I know what you are saying. The spoken road names is not really too much of an issue to me, I didnt even realise it was in CP6???

I believe the traffic updates do work in the UK, at least they used to with my CP6. They cost £35 for two years subscription. I havnt bothered yet as I never really used it much on CP6.

The speed camera database is naff, you're better off using CamerAware (Paul, I'll take a royalty for that ;)) or getting a the PocketGPSworld camera database and integrating that into your CP7, I believe Phil Lee has done it so he can help you with instructions.

Overall though, CP7 is really quite good. I like it much more than CP6, the GUI is infintely better and its defintely a little quicker to load etc. I really like it.

Guest Record1

Does CO7 tell you if your destination is on the right or the left when you are close to arriving? I like this feature. I don't think OCN 6 has this feature due to where is gets its map data. I live in the US if it makes any difference.

Guest Syphon Filter
Does CO7 tell you if your destination is on the right or the left when you are close to arriving? I like this feature. I don't think OCN 6 has this feature due to where is gets its map data. I live in the US if it makes any difference.

Erm, not that I know of...As in, as you approach your destination (lets say number 25 Random Avenue) it will actually tell you which side of the road its on? I don't think I've ever used a satnav that does that...

Guest Syphon Filter
Do any other nav apps actually speak the road names?

P

The only practical way of doing it would be to use TTS. But as you say, I dont think I've ever seen a satnav that can do it...TomTom certainly doesnt and I dont recall CP6 ever doing it.

Guest Record1

My nav in my Mercury Mouantineer has that feature, also the Garmin Nuvi 350. But these both have tts. I also read in another forum that Navteq map data includes the info to do it, but that Teleatlas does not. It's not the most important feature, but it helps when you're going crazy trying to make a meeting you're late for. I have gotten so used to rarely looking at the screen when driving using tts. I hope CO7 gets it soon. They say they will, but i would bet it won't happen till version 8. Ocn (Igo) will have tts on their version 8, but it won't be out in the states till Feburary.

Guest Gorskar
Yeah, I know what you are saying. The spoken road names is not really too much of an issue to me, I didnt even realise it was in CP6???

I believe the traffic updates do work in the UK, at least they used to with my CP6. They cost £35 for two years subscription. I havnt bothered yet as I never really used it much on CP6.

The speed camera database is naff, you're better off using CamerAware (Paul, I'll take a royalty for that ;)) or getting a the PocketGPSworld camera database and integrating that into your CP7, I believe Phil Lee has done it so he can help you with instructions.

Overall though, CP7 is really quite good. I like it much more than CP6, the GUI is infintely better and its defintely a little quicker to load etc. I really like it.

Thanks for the reply - I'm aware of the downloadable traffic updates, which I'm told works ok - I was more interested in TMC, which can be picked up by your GPS receiver directly if it is compatible and has a good enough antenna. Saves you data costs, and in theory shouldn't have any recurring cost associated with its use.

Not that its likely to be directly important i guess -my GPS receiver from my old Co-pilot prob doesn't support TMC, and Im not likely to bother to replace it while it still works! If the speed camera database is too naff then yea - best just use CamerAware. £10 one off (modaco plus) including updated databases is cheaper (and easier to keep up to date) than PocketGPSworld - and it seems to play nicely with other GPS software running (trial/non spoken version did with the Maporama trial anyway - both ran together ok.)

Might just wait and see a bit longer. Looks like CP7 is probably the best of the current crop, but id rather buy one that'll last me a while, so if there's a better version of iGo coming out soon, or CP7 is going to require expensive upgrades to add useful features (text-to-speech) then I'd rather wait. I don't travel a huge amount anyway.

Guest jackofall

Update on my i600 issue this is what my CoPilot looks like installed

They are apparently working on a patch but cannot give me any time scales

Could someone with an i600 try and install the cab files here to see if they can at least get CP to load?

Thanks

post-14397-1195027879_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jackofall

If anyone else was having the same issue, I got this update from ALK after I had queried them around when the latest build was due out

To resolve the Black Screen issues you are experiencing on your device with CoPilot Live 7, please follow the steps below to resolve.

1) Exit CoPilot on your device if it is running

2) Connect your device to your PC using ActiveSync or Windows Mobile Device Center

3) In Windows Explorer, navigate to the CoPilot Application directory on your device. This will most likely be "\My Device\Program Files\CoPilot".

4) Copy the file named ‘preferences.cfg’ to your desktop

5) Edit preferences.cfg in notepad

6) Look for the [Graphics] section. In that section there should be a line that reads “RotateDisplay”=1. Change this to "RotateDisplay=2"

7) If that line isn't there, please add it as "RotateDisplay=2"

8) Save the file

9) Copy the "preferences.cfg" file from your desktop back to your device to "\My Device\Program Files\CoPilot"

10)Start CoPilot and you should not see the black screen now

And everything now seems to be working fine except the screen hangs three quarters the way through calculation, back on to the helpdesk!

So far it everything is going OK. The only problem I'm having is with the Live part. It doesn't seem to want to connect. I've created an account online and entered in my details on my VIII but on the Connect screen I just see Status, Status and a tick box with no text next to it.

I had the same problem a new patch has been released which allows this to work, I've checked the "Send message" and "Send destination" options the both work pretty well.

Version is 7.0.6.121

My original which had the problem was 7.0.6.68

Guest jackofall
I had the same problem a new patch has been released which allows this to work, I've checked the "Send message" and "Send destination" options the both work pretty well.

Version is 7.0.6.121

My original which had the problem was 7.0.6.68

Hi were did you get the latest patch from?

Thanks,

Guest Phil Lee

Here's what ALK said to me in their email when they notified me about the update:

Thank you for contacting CoPilot Technical Support.

With regards to your e-mail, we are pleased to inform you that the Live Setup Connection screen has been fixed in a patch release available for download from the following link:

http://www.alk.eu.com/files/v7/7.0.6.121.zip

NB: You need to extract (unzip) the contents of the Zip file to your \2577 folder via ActiveSynch or using a Storage Card reader. The \2577 folder is accessible via StorageCard\2577. Please note you will then need to Uninstall CoPilot on your device, and then Re-install CoPilot 7.

Edited by Phil Lee

• 2 months later...

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but recently found my o2 copilot key, so can get the new version on upgrade, but the ALK site only has it as a box product, can the upgrade be downloaded or does it have to be a box product?

Cheers

Kimbie

Guest Kimbie
An old key? Which version was it for? Have you deactivated it on the old phone?

Copilot 6, Im not sure if it was deactivated but can be done via support easily enough

Kimbie

Guest Confucious

Hi Kimbie

email support and ask them - I'm sure they will provide a link to V6 and deactivate your old phone for you - better still, upgrade to V7 - it is a vast improvement!

Good luck.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.