Major Car Charging Issue

Guest squiggs1982

Guest bronksy

well i bought an XDA one in the O2 store.. that doesn't work either!

anyone tried the Vodaphone or Orange ones?

I dont see the HTC one in retails stores!

Guest mortalwombat
well i bought an XDA one in the O2 store.. that doesn't work either!

anyone tried the Vodaphone or Orange ones?

I dont see the HTC one in retails stores!

this is what you need (NOT the ORA one that is 1 quid cheaper)

this time with the link!

http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?partner=modaco&i=148548

Edited by mortalwombat

Guest bronksy

I cannot believe the only damn charger that works is this one.. not even the price.. just that not any compatible charger works.. i've never experienced this before.. its a righr pain the ass.. everyt time i get a new phone the manu's seems to do something to cripple all the accessories you have... does my head in. Now i've spent 30 quid on getting a charger.. one that didn't work, and now the HTC one.

Guest squiggs1982

I finished up sending the Kaiser back to HTC and having the mainboard swapped. All my chargers now seem to work (from the crappy £2.99 one through to the £50.00 Carcomm). It's poor build quality on the Kaiser's part - the USB port seems to get damaged if you sneeze on it. Check out the threads on xda developers. I've had numerous other HTC devices and this is the first that this has happened to.

Guest bigdish

Bought the XDA charger from Carphone Warehouse for £5.50 .Special offer and works well. (gets a bit hot though)

Running CA3- Navizon - TomTom and BT to Parrot CK3100.

When I disconnect I have 100%.

The best so far is from Proporta. Stick in your car charger with a USB to mini USB.

A bit larger but has vents which keeps it cool :)

r

Andrew

• 1 month later...
Guest Shaftypants

Got the same issue as you guys :D It's a real nuisance - especially as my mains charger doesn't work either!! I can only charge through my computers USB port!! Got horribly lost in London last weekend despite having the Kaiser and 4 different car chargers. Is the HTC one listed above DEFINITELY going to work?!

Guest mortalwombat
Got the same issue as you guys :D It's a real nuisance - especially as my mains charger doesn't work either!! I can only charge through my computers USB port!! Got horribly lost in London last weekend despite having the Kaiser and 4 different car chargers. Is the HTC one listed above DEFINITELY going to work?!

It DEFINITELY works for me... just make sure you get the HTC one....

MW

Guest finisterre

I had all these sort of problems with my Hermes and 3rd party car chargers. Bought the official HTC car charger from Expansys and now it works first time every time.

Guest Paulplex

Hi all,

I've done a bit of testing having read this thread - this all done by charging my new TyTN II via my laptop, not a car kit: but the results are interesting none the less... :D

Using the excellent program Batti 2.1 (available from Paul's list of 'must have' free Kaiser software) and PowerGuard 1.2 (available from FreewarePocketPC.net), I have been able to monitor the battery usage of my phone. I should add that my phone is enabled for 3G in the phone options (I normally force the phone to connect with GSM rather than 'auto' since it saves battery life) and is in a 3G area for signal.

When 'idle', the phone can charge quite happily, even with the backlight fully lit: PowerGuard gives you a graphical indication of the battery usage and all looks good:

Battery Current
: 192 mA

Battery Voltage
: 3847 mV

Battery Temperature
: 32.4 C

---

Batti Status
: Indicates charging (bar at top is blue - indicating connected to power - and is moving from left to right at the top of the screen indicating charging)

Charging LED
: Orange

...now, open TomTom and get the GPS activated; give it a couple of minutes to find the satellites and generally settle down - move that to the background and this is what I see...

Battery Current
: -49 to 74 (variable) mA

Battery Voltage
: 3801 mV

Battery Temperature
: 34.7 C

---

Batti Status
: Doesn't indicates charging (blue bar at top of screen indicates it is connected to mains but does not move from left to right indicating no charge)

Charging LED
: Orange

...so it appears to me that if charging via USB (I haven't tested with a mains or car charger but I'll see if this is any different later on), you can't charge the phone and indeed battery strength drops if you are using the GPS. For use in my car, I tend to use the GPS and bluetooth together (since I wear a bluetooth headset to accept calls if behind the wheel) so if the GPS alone is a problem for charging, I'm definitely going to have a flat battery at my destination if I use the bluetooth too!

I'll try with my car charger (one intended for Blackberry's) later on and obtain an 'offical' HTC charger in time to test with that too - but perhaps the best option is to obtain a better battery than the 1350mAh battery the phone comes with which I can swap and use when using my phone in the car...

Edited by Paulplex

Guest finisterre

My other half's Kaiser will reach full charge in the car, even while running TomTom with regular GPRS traffic checking. If we start the journey with it 2/3rds charged, it will be fuly charged in an hour. This is with the HTC car charger.