The offical Samsung Blackjack II 'Ask Nick' thread

Guest nickcornaglia

Guest kluzyfool
I am not sure how you disable the data connection. With every phone I have ever used I have needed it.

I would imagine if you never use internet explorer, email or any other app that needs internet access you will never use any data.

There are apps to monitor data usage. You can also dial a code to ATT and they will show data usage for the month on your phone. It also shows data usage on the ATT web site when you login. Most people have unlimited data and do not worry about it.

SeanH

I see. The reason I asked is that I'll be using the phone overseas, and I don't want to get hit with any huge data charges even if I don't use data over there.

I probably already answered my question though; there's no way it could be transmitting 24/7, since everyone that doesn't have an unlimited plan would be screwed.  It's just that big "3G" symbol up top should mean the phone is just connected, but not transmitting, right?

Edited by kluzyfool

Does anyone know if the Samsung i780 is available. Looks like it would be an awesome upgrade from the BlackJack II. It have WiFi and a 3.2 megapixel camera, and it would be touch screen. Thats what i want. Any availability?

Guest kluzyfool

Are you guys signed up with PDA Max, or Smartphone MAX? I understand that online they don't let you do add Smartphone MAX for the BJII, but the guy from the store was able to add it on. The only differences seem to be that Smartphone MAX doesn't have CV, but it's a little cheaper. I'm not sure if the speed is different; mine fluctuates from E to G to 3G.

Any thoughts on this?

Got my BJ2 yesterday (had BJ1 previously).

After 24 hours use, here are my top 3 registry hack / customization requests:

1/ Reassign the CV and AT&T logo keys to other programs, or at least change the 'home' page loaded via the AT&T key

2/ Make the status LED persistent when a new message is unread

3/ Speed up the jog-wheel responsiveness (i.e. increase sensitivity, to allow faster scrolling in long docs)

Any ideas or hints?

Guest sam black sun 2

hi i was wondering if anybody knew of any NES emulators for blackjack II?? ive tried pnester, none of them install successfully.. (after activesync install it says on the phone that the program was not intented for this device)

also can anybody help on how to install java games? you can buy java games through at&t but i have not figured out how to (or where to) install the .jar files.. thank you

Guest boricua365
Got my BJ2 yesterday (had BJ1 previously).

After 24 hours use, here are my top 3 registry hack / customization requests:

1/ Reassign the CV and AT&T logo keys to other programs, or at least change the 'home' page loaded via the AT&T key

2/ Make the status LED persistent when a new message is unread

3/ Speed up the jog-wheel responsiveness (i.e. increase sensitivity, to allow faster scrolling in long docs)

Any ideas or hints?

Yeah I too am interested in the LED indicator. I'd really like to get it blinking non stop until there are no unread sms messages. I'm so-so on doing things in the registry edit (no pro) but after hours of trying different comnbinations I can't seem to make it work. I can make it vibrate for a certain number of seconds but can't seem to do anything w/ the LED, it just flashes 3 times every time I get an sms. I also can't seem to get the setting correct to have all indicators turn off when I hit a key on the keypad. When someone figures all this it will you please put up a good post on it? Thanks

I know this sounds like a dumb question and probably is. On the BJII is there anything physical that tells you it has GPS. ?

I have just got the Samsung SGH-i640v in the UK - long rumoured to have a GPS, but I don't think it has! However it is somewhat difficult to work as there is nothing software-wise I can see which woudl let me know this (apart from Google Maps which has the GPS option but never finds a satellite).

The guidebook doesnt help either! On looking at the BJII user guide, this doent specifically seem to list GPS either!

Cheers

N

Guest kluzyfool
It just works, I works with any data plan they offer.

SeanH

Would you mind posting the steps to set up a DUN connection to tether your BJII to your PC?

Guest Nathan-C

Did anyone else see this?

Click on the link (it will take you to samsung's flash site introducing the BJII), Then skip the intro, then click on the "technology" link running along the bottom of the flash window. You will be taken to a list (that you can click on to expand and get more info about a particular feature in the phone). Take note of the last feature listed: " Voice Assist" Click on it and you will see it says voice dialing is a feature.

http://www.samsungmobileusa.com/blackjackII/

Now we know its not here or atleast we can't find it. Everywhere else on samsung's site about the blackjack 2 states there is no voice dialing.

So what's the truth? is this Samsung not having any quality control when it comes to their web designers or the feature is there but they choose to hide it or some other lame reason. If anyone has any insight please share.

BTW I really hope its there. I would love to have native voice dialing.

Thanks,

Nathan

Guest cabdriver

:( Downloaded patch and ran it. Selected Comm Port 4, restarted my device and the message is

Waiting for GPS...

alert

Sorry, could not get the GPS position.

------------------------------------------

This is a different message than before but nonetheless - no GPS

Advice?

Cabdriver

Guest silversx

can anyone tell me the exact specs for the BJ 2??

how much rom/ram

what processor and what mhz

which would be better to use if i plan to buy an unlocked one to use with tmobile usa... the bj 2 or generic q9h (not global.. too expensive)

Guest dizzydave
Hi one question i had for you guys. I just got the BJII and i like making my own ringtones. However, i tried this and it told me the maximum size it would support was only 300k. Anyway around this because thats pretty small. ANy feedback would be appreciated Thanks!

I've been using Audacity (you can get it for free from download.com) to trim mp3s down to 20-30 seconds--this seems to do the job since you don't really need a whole song...

Guest ptukhar
can anyone tell me the exact specs for the BJ 2??

how much rom/ram

what processor and what mhz

which would be better to use if i plan to buy an unlocked one to use with tmobile usa... the bj 2 or generic q9h (not global.. too expensive)

128 MB RAM

256 MB ROM

260 MHZ processor

Guest silversx

is the bj2 app locked?? can i install any application i want on it?

if it's app locked, how can i unlock it

and i'm really needing some advice on which one to choose to use on tmobile

the bj2 or q9 global..

q9 is 100 bucks more.. only 96 ram versus 128.. a bit wider

as far as software such as browser.. can't i just install opera mini on the java midlet on the bj2 to avoid pocket IE?

thanks for any help

Guest dizzydave

Am I dumb, or is there no way to view time & date in call history? This seems like a very strange omission--how am I supposed to know how long it's been since I missed a call?

Guest dizzydave
Am I dumb, or is there no way to view time & date in call history? This seems like a very strange omission--how am I supposed to know how long it's been since I missed a call?

Ok, so I'm responding to my own question...because I don't see how to delete it...I am dumb, all you have to do is click on the entry and it drills down into call details...

you wouldn't have even been able to get to the google.com/gmm page on your phone browser without a data plan, let alone download google makes, unless you downloaded on your PC and uploaded it to your phone. the initial message just lets you know that if you use this software you need a data plan, if you have a data plan the maps would be pulled up via your data plan. so yes everytime your scroll around the map and it says "loading XXkb" in the upper right corner. it's hitting your data plan for that amount of data. if you have a limited data plan (i.e. 15mb) once those are up you will be charged extra. my suggestion is if you plan on using your phone to browse the web or use google maps that you get the unlimited data plan (e.g. surf and download as much as you want with no extra charges). the GPS on your phone when using google maps has no extra charge. GPS on your phone(if you can get it to connect) is free as long as you're not using the BS Telenav that ATT as teamed up with to rip you off. yes it's nice of them to offer you Nav software but the fact that they didn't create a UI to set configure your GPS is extremely annoying. it's the same as the UK version of the BJI having Wifi and the US(ATT) version not. ATT wants us to use our data plans in hopes that we don't have the unlimited data plan so that we can run over our data plan and they can charge us extra.

*Sorry venting*

anyways i hope this helps you out.

I don't have a data plan of any kind and i can still surf the internet and use google maps, altough they're probably charging me 10 dollars per kb :(. It might just be the first few days or something, anybody know? Anyway i got my GPS to work very well with this hack and good maps, it gets my position within 5 seconds in my basement, it is a little off though, like 100 feet. I still haven't tried it outside.

Off-Topic:

Anyone know about the wifi this phone has? Im pretty sure it has the wifi hardware inside but ATT has probably disabled it. I know this because i read it somewhere online i don't remember the site and the european version of the FIRST blackjack had wifi in it so why would the american version of the second blackajck not have it??? Doesn't make sense other than the fact that ATT wants you to use its slow-ass network and they want to make more and more money.

Guest xkuizit
Oh I don't doubt it, and I'm not saying that the Bluetooth PAN connection is superior. I'm just saying it's nice to have the availability of it so that I don't need to always have a USB cable with me - something that wouldn't be a problem in and of itself if Samsung didn't use a proprietary connector pinout to the phone. I'm willing to take half of the data speed if it means I don't always have to remember a cable.

Not sure if folks are aware. But someone was able to get Internet Sharing back up. I've tried it and it works with both USB and BT PAN.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1290859

-x

Guest dizzydave
I've been using Audacity (you can get it for free from download.com) to trim mp3s down to 20-30 seconds--this seems to do the job since you don't really need a whole song...

there is a registry change you can make to free it up-look in the at&t samsung forum

Guest sam black sun 2
does anyone know how to use mp3s for notifications?

the mp3's have to be less than 300kb to use them as ringtones or alarm tones, etc.. if you can cut down the mp3 to less than a minute and convert it to mono and reduce the bitrate to something like 96kbps it should be small enough to use.. there might be a way to use a full mp3 but i dont know how.. if its under 300kb it will show up in the list when your selecting sounds..