Samsung Blackjack II GPS... ACTIVATED!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest monsterbaldy
The first time I tried the GPS hack it didn't work for me at all, I tried everything, every setting... then I did this.

I uninstalled the hack.

I uninstalled google maps.

I installed the hack.

I installed googlemaps.

I tried again no dice. but only with it set to Automatic for Gps.

I uninstalled the hack... again.

I set googlemaps to COM4 19200.

It worked.

I am well aware of the difference between it finding satellites with GPS and just doing that other triangulation thing with an error of up to 5000m. When it worked, it had 5 gps satellites.

I have a theory that the hack won't work unless your phone is already app unlocked, and that is why a double install works as it app unlocks it the first time. I also don't think uninstalling it really does anything, I think that just happened to line up with me setting it to COM4 19200.

Anyhow... my 2 cents.

-ben

Tried again later... it didn't work. Seems very buggy/inconsistent. Not sure if it is google maps or the hack. I am wondering if the Garmin XT software works more reliably.

Guest mistervybe

after folllowing these instructions i finally got the GPS to show in garmin XT. My only issue is the time it takes to get a signal fix, most times im waiting 10 mins before i get a signal fix in GPSTEST...seems way too long anyone found ways to shorten this?

also it would be nice if i didnt have to manually activate the GPS in GPStest everyone...if opening garmin would do it automatically like it should...

anyone know of any potential solutions.

great post below "thelostsould" cheers

Okay, got this on Christmas and spent all of from then until now (the 29th) working on getting the GPS to work, and properly. Here is my final verdict:

In order to get it working, do a hard reset on your device. Get rid of everything. (turn it off, hold UP arrow key while powering it up and follow the instructions). Now after the reset, create a shortcut on your startmenu for the GPSTest application (ALREADY ON YOUR DEVICE! - make a txt file with notepad, and type 23#"\Windows\GPSTest.exe" save it as "GPSTest.lnk", go into your folder options and uncheck hide file extensions and make sure it is only GPSTest.lnk, not GPSTest.lnk.txt. Now put that in your /windows/start menu folder on your device) Launch that application and press menu-option. Set Operating type to standalone, session to nevigation, and start type to Cold. Press Done and then Menu - Start. Give it 5 to 10 minutes to acquire a signal. Let it sit near a window or stand outside with it. IF IT DOESN'T ACQUIRE A SIGNAL: START ALL OVER AGAIN! If no signal, hard reset your device and do everything all over again until it gets a signal! IT WILL EVENTUALLY!

Once you get your first signal, DO NOT CLOSE THE APP! Let it run for as long as possible. I left mine overnight! After that, install the Modaco Hack to enable the COM4 (it won't affect the actual GPS device, it's just useful). Now I strongly recommend you use GPSTest before launching anything. let it run and try to acquire a signal. It seems to take my phone 3 to 5 minutes to acquire any signals no matter what. So before you go anywhere, fire up GPSTest and let it run while you get ready to go.

That's how I did it. Now I'm convinced this is just how you sort of "break it in." Without breaking it in, it won't seems to work. I went two days of no GPS on my device until I did this. For the first night, I left the GPS test app trying to connect over night and it didn't connect. Now it always gets a signal within 3-5 minutes.

After all of that, you can install any apps and it should work fine if you launch GPSTest and start it first. I use Garmin XT with it and no problems. Gmaps, WLS, and GPSvp also work fine.

Guest christophe75

Hi,

When I try to install this cab on my BJ II, I have a security error message asking my a numeric signature and the installation stop.

How could I bypass that ?

Thanks.

Guest itaintegra

I got my BJ2 last week ive been playing with it nd now i got my GPS to work . I installed the com4 hack twice loaded GM and then put the port to manage by windows and walah it works. I get 7-8 Sat connections withing 10-15 sec.

ED

Guest t3lovers

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Works great. I used both LiveSearch and Google Maps. On Google I manually set the GPS to COM4 and with Live Search I had to sent the GPS to "Intermediate Driver" NOT COM4.

YOU ROCK PAUL!

D

Guest snowboarderron
yah i cant get it to work.

gmaps says it cant connect tp gps and windows live keeps on "geeting gps location..."

Hello I tried the GPS Google maps to this point and cannot get it to connect. Can anyone help me out?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest pakijawan

HI,i did everything you guys did,but no help,i first I ran SDA_ApplicationUnlock ,which i read lets you run some application on Blackjack,then i also ran the GPS hack,think i installed google maps,I ran google maps,changed setting to com 4 and 19200,thenn it gives me error that no GPS receiver found,but when i choose Windows option in settings it works with out problem,but im think thats burning me money ,meaning costing me even if i have chosen GPS ,am i right,please can anyone help?

Guest Dispatch

**CROSS POST FROM Build-in SiRF III GPS receiver for Blackjack II - MoDaCo *** (sorry mods)

I'll post my experience too.

I received my BJII on Friday 04/04/08 and stumbled across the MoDaCo forums looking for the GPS business. I had/have no interest in paying for TeleNav so the first thing I did was download Google Maps to see if the GPS worked or if I still had to use the cell tower triangulation. No luck with the GPS at first.

So I app unlocked the phone and installed the MoDaCo GPS Activator (http://www.modaco.com/content/Smartphone-Standard-News/262074/Samsung-Blackjack-II-GPS-ACTIVATED/), restarted, and tried Google Maps. Still no luck.

So after reading post upon post it really started to seem like most of the problems people have been having with the GPS stems from it not "initializing" properly.

I performed a hard reset and installed both Live Search and Google Maps. Both worked (and still do work) with the GPS without the activator (so presumably both using the GPS intermediate driver). **CAVEAT**: the first time I tried the GPS which was after the activator and unlock were installed I was probably not as patient as I should've been nor was I outside, so it is possible (albeit improbable) that it would've worked with the activator and unlock in place.

So in my experience I think the GPS implementation is still pretty flaky with the i617 but it can work if you're patient and are willing to jump through some hoops such as initializing the GPS with the GPSTest program (built in) before you start up your Google Maps or other apps.

Good luck.

Guest meandmyi780

Hi I have just recieved my Samsung i780 on Orange today and I cannot install the GPS activator?

Do you know how to get around the Orange locked down software?

Thanks

Guest Monolithix

You shouldn't need to install anything on the i780 (its a *very* different device!).

Just fire up google maps or similar and select the gps location from the menu and it should work fine :D

As you probably know from this thread our very own 'encece' (Nick) has been out splashing his hard earned on a shiny new AT&T Blackjack II. It's a great looking device with a few decent spec bumps over the original Blackjack, specifically the inclusion of a SiRF III GPS chip.

Upon starting to use his device however, Nick came across the problem that every Blackjack II owner is facing... the GPS implementation on the device is, er, interesting.

As some of you may know, when Microsoft designed the GPS Intermediary Driver for Windows Mobile 6, they created a user interface to configure it for Pocket PC, but not Smartphone. The GPSID is a driver that sits between the GPS hardware and the application that is using it, providing access to the GPS hardware and doing clever things such as allowing multiple applications to use the connection. All good, but there is a problem with the implementation on the Blackjack (and in fact the Moto Q9H I understand, a device I believe this patch will help with too). The problem is that although the GPSID is configured and applications such as the built in Telenav and Windows Live Search can use the system fine, there is no COM port exposed to allow the vast majority of applications that use this connection method to use the GPS. DOH! And with no UI to configure it, you quickly hit a brick wall.

Nick was obviously quite annoyed at this (what with the GPS being the most significant upgrade to the old device, and the one he particularly wanted), so I set to work on solving the problem, and i'm proud to present my 'MoDaCo Smartphone GPS Activator' :D

Available as either a 'over the air install' or a PC based install or an on-device CAB install (choose one or the other to suit), the activator provides the all important missing COM port for GPS access. After installing (and rebooting), you'll find you have a new COM4 port, and you can use any GPS application you like to your hearts content. Nick has tested it on his Blackjack II and it works a treat, i'm keen for someone to give it a go on their Q9H.

I'm at a loss as to why the feature wasn't in there in the first place (I'm guessing to try and tie people into Telenav?), but i'm real glad i've been able to fix the problem in this way.

Enjoy people, and spread the word to fellow BJII owners!

P

PS As a little bonus, this package also application unlocks your device, letting you do things like reorder the Start Menu how you like, etc!

PPS I've also just created a Blackjack II device discussion area, online now at http://i617.MoDaCo.com!

Over the Air Install: Enter 'http://modaco.com/gpsactivatorbj2' in your device browser!

On device Install (registered members): MoDaCo.SmartphoneGPSActivator.COM4.CAB

On PC Install (registered members): Setup.MoDaCo.SmartphoneGPSActivator.COM4.EXE

On device Install (mirror): http://Content.MoDaCo.net/MoDaCo.Smartphon...ivator.COM4.CAB

On PC Install (mirror): http://Content.MoDaCo.net/Setup.MoDaCo.Sma...ivator.COM4.EXE

If I download Google maps and use exe file from MoDaCo, do i still need data plan? if not than please write me up what should i do after installing exe file

Guest Monolithix

Yes you do, all the activator does is enable GPS to allow GMaps to show your location, you'll still need a data plan to download the actual map images.

Guest nyhunter77

Hi I'm hoping this will help someone out there but I finally got my GPS working, it even knows what side of the house i'm on, it's so cool.

I can lock up to 5 or 6 satellites at one time too. I wish i had this working last week when I got lost repeatedly on foot and in the car :D

Anyways. I have MS live, Google maps, and the Modaco gps activator installed.

Not touching anything else, I uninstalled the google ap and reinstalled it.

It was that easy, don't change any com settings at all. Just leave the settings the way they are. I changed them to the recommended com4 and it stopped working. I did change it back and it works again though, but i recommend not changing the default settings at all, don't even go to the menu, it should work.

I am just guessing but I installed the google maps ap from my desktop instead of over the air, maybe that had something to do with it but now that that is reinstalled, they all work fine. That means i can use google maps because it's faster or MSN when I just want to speak an address when i am driving for example. Very nice.

It took me 2 weeks trying different things off and on, this finally did it. Hope it works for all u guys.

Edit: forgot to mention I have a BJ2 and as people have said before, Cycle the power off and on before testing.

Edited by nyhunter77

Guest ssracer77

I find it interesting that so many people with the same phone are having such varied results.

I got my BJ2 last week through AT&T's website and added their unlimited data package. I immediately started playing around and then found a link to this site.

I downloaded the PC executable to my laptop and with the phone attached with active sync, I ran the application. I rebooted the phone, then downloaded and installed the .cab for google maps. Rebooted again.

COM4 does not work, but leaving the settings on windows default, it works fine. As long as I am outside, I am always able to get at least 4 satellites to lock, with the time varying between several seconds to a minute or two.

Thanks for your hard work Paul!

Guest mesowetodit

Just my exp...

Bot a refurb'd BJ2 from att as my contract was up. Put in a 2gb Kingston microSD.

1. Copied over the Garmin Mobile XT 4.20.30ws to microSD.

2. Copied over the MoDaCo.SmartphoneGPSActivator.COM4 to microSD and ran it, no issues.

3. Switch to COM4 in Garmin settings.

4. Launched Garmin, voila.

Not too straight forward with the minor Garmin hacks,etc. But the MoDaCo.SmartphoneGPSActivator.COM4 was straight forward. Got everything working first try though.

Didn't take too long for BJ2 to find satellite. Drove around the block, works good.

Thanks for everything folks!

Edited by mesowetodit

Guest mesowetodit

Another minor annoyance,

I called ATT yesterday and found that I had .1mb of data used on my account. I asked them how can this be since I do not have a data plan. Well it just so happens that if you use Garmin's online features(traffic, gas prices, hotel rates, weather), they go through the internet.

So I have ATT block all internet access...and I shutoff the online feature in Garmin, if you don't shut this off, each time you launch Garmin you'll get an annoying message telling you this client has disconnected you.

GPS still works, just no more traffic alerts.

Also this will prevent anyone from tampering with your pda/phone and get online by accident, cause as soon as IE launches and you see news....you get charged!

Hope that helps, i'm new, so its news to me. Don't hurt me....

Guest mohan p

i tried to install the hack using all the 3 methods. none of them worked.

over the air install putputs a garbage text file on my mobile ie.

on the device install says file not supported.

and on pc install just opens up the add/remove program dialogue box but does nothing.

please help me...

Guest mimisorR
What other options do we have?

I refuse to believe that some BJII's work and some dont.

How can we even tell if the "gps activator" is installed correctly on the phone?

I have installed it but I dont even know if it really is installed because the gps still wont pick up a signal. On gmaps I have com 4 and I tried 19200 baud as per some posts. On Windows live I have intermediate driver selected, What am I doing wrong here? I know it wont work indoors so I try in my car and I get NOTHING!

I decided to buy this phone from fido because i wnated to get rid of cables , I have a blue tooth gps , an ipaq HP and an ericsson phone k750. So i thought is a smart move... ive spent so much time with this garbage phone ... more than with all other devices toghther... i still have one week to return this garbage to the store and i need to know if really this phone can work as a gps... i was reading all the threads i installed all kind of applications and nothing looks like it doesn't have a gps at all... is there any application available to check the hardware on this .....on the samsung site sais that is not known application created for it but you can use it for 911 calls... in case they need to find you ..... if you are in the basement .....

so should i keed this garbage or not ???

now with all the drivers installed the phone is not answering to incoming calls faster that 10 sec ..... odd

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Alshere

So did I do something wrong on install of the Garmin Mobile XT file name Garmin 2009 North America NT Complete - Repack by Restrected? I do not have the detailed maps. Basically only major roads are shown. Any help?

Guest texaspharmer
As you probably know from this thread our very own 'encece' (Nick) has been out splashing his hard earned on a shiny new AT&T Blackjack II. It's a great looking device with a few decent spec bumps over the original Blackjack, specifically the inclusion of a SiRF III GPS chip.

Upon starting to use his device however, Nick came across the problem that every Blackjack II owner is facing... the GPS implementation on the device is, er, interesting.

As some of you may know, when Microsoft designed the GPS Intermediary Driver for Windows Mobile 6, they created a user interface to configure it for Pocket PC, but not Smartphone. The GPSID is a driver that sits between the GPS hardware and the application that is using it, providing access to the GPS hardware and doing clever things such as allowing multiple applications to use the connection. All good, but there is a problem with the implementation on the Blackjack (and in fact the Moto Q9H I understand, a device I believe this patch will help with too). The problem is that although the GPSID is configured and applications such as the built in Telenav and Windows Live Search can use the system fine, there is no COM port exposed to allow the vast majority of applications that use this connection method to use the GPS. DOH! And with no UI to configure it, you quickly hit a brick wall.

Nick was obviously quite annoyed at this (what with the GPS being the most significant upgrade to the old device, and the one he particularly wanted), so I set to work on solving the problem, and i'm proud to present my 'MoDaCo Smartphone GPS Activator' :D

Available as either a 'over the air install' or a PC based install or an on-device CAB install (choose one or the other to suit), the activator provides the all important missing COM port for GPS access. After installing (and rebooting), you'll find you have a new COM4 port, and you can use any GPS application you like to your hearts content. Nick has tested it on his Blackjack II and it works a treat, i'm keen for someone to give it a go on their Q9H.

I'm at a loss as to why the feature wasn't in there in the first place (I'm guessing to try and tie people into Telenav?), but i'm real glad i've been able to fix the problem in this way.

Enjoy people, and spread the word to fellow BJII owners!

P

PS As a little bonus, this package also application unlocks your device, letting you do things like reorder the Start Menu how you like, etc!

PPS I've also just created a Blackjack II device discussion area, online now at http://i617.MoDaCo.com!

Over the Air Install: Enter 'http://modaco.com/gpsactivatorbj2' in your device browser!

On device Install (registered members): MoDaCo.SmartphoneGPSActivator.COM4.CAB

On PC Install (registered members): Setup.MoDaCo.SmartphoneGPSActivator.COM4.EXE

On device Install (mirror): http://Content.MoDaCo.net/MoDaCo.Smartphon...ivator.COM4.CAB

On PC Install (mirror): http://Content.MoDaCo.net/Setup.MoDaCo.Sma...ivator.COM4.EXE

Guest keith5000

Like others in this thread I had some trouble getting the GPS working for Google Maps and Windows Live on my Blackberry 2. Here's what I did, which is really just a combo of what others have suggested. The key thing seems to be installing the GPS Hack / App Unlocker twice.

1. Installed the GPS Hack / App Unlocker.

2. Powered the phone off and then on again (not sure if this really made a difference).

3. Installed the GPS Hack / App Unlocker again.

4. Configured Windows Live to use COM 4.

5. Configured Google Maps to use COM 4 / 19200 Baud.

Works like a charm. Big thanks to all the previous posters for their work.

Guest John Hope
Like others in this thread I had some trouble getting the GPS working for Google Maps and Windows Live on my Blackberry 2. Here's what I did, which is really just a combo of what others have suggested. The key thing seems to be installing the GPS Hack / App Unlocker twice.

1. Installed the GPS Hack / App Unlocker.

2. Powered the phone off and then on again (not sure if this really made a difference).

3. Installed the GPS Hack / App Unlocker again.

4. Configured Windows Live to use COM 4.

5. Configured Google Maps to use COM 4 / 19200 Baud.

Works like a charm. Big thanks to all the previous posters for their work.

Just bought a BJII. I have installed the GPS Hack / App Unlocker numerous times via the mSD card. Nothing happens. I am unable to edit parts of the registry. I try to install the GPS Hack / App Unlocker over the air and receive nothing but gibberish on the screen of the phone when the download should occur.

My challenge is I am trying to change the \HKLM\System\InBox\Settings key to move email to the mSD card. When editing the registry with Resco Explorer, I receive an error. No keys can be added to this parent key.

Guest InSDCal

Hey thanks for the info...

I tried your suggestion and found that the MoDaCo software installs without a glitch, but this still does not unlock the device. I downloaded the Security Configuration Manager from Microsoft, and it shows the security as locked. This software will allow me to create any of several configurations (Off, One Tier Prompt, One Tier Mobile2Market Locked, Two Tier Prompt, Two Tier Mobile2Market Locked), however I can not place the unsigned configuration on the device. I appreciate any suggestions.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.