Samsung Blackjack II GPS... ACTIVATED!

Guest PaulOBrien

<_< I cannot get this thing to work, im trying to get the gps unlocked or whatever you want to call it so i am able to use my garmin mobile xt. Is there anyone who can give me step by step instructions on how to do this, as if you were talking to a computer illerate person, i have downloaded both things for the com 4 and still no com 4 on my blackjack 2. And does this really work to where you do not have to have a gps reciever seperate from the phone, or is it just easier to get one and use the bluetooth enabled setting. thank you for your help !!!!

As you probably know from this thread our very own 'encece' (Nick) has been out splashing his hard earned on a shiny new AT&T Blackjack II. It's a great looking device with a few decent spec bumps over the original Blackjack, specifically the inclusion of a SiRF III GPS chip.

Upon starting to use his device however, Nick came across the problem that every Blackjack II owner is facing... the GPS implementation on the device is, er, interesting.

As some of you may know, when Microsoft designed the GPS Intermediary Driver for Windows Mobile 6, they created a user interface to configure it for Pocket PC, but not Smartphone. The GPSID is a driver that sits between the GPS hardware and the application that is using it, providing access to the GPS hardware and doing clever things such as allowing multiple applications to use the connection. All good, but there is a problem with the implementation on the Blackjack (and in fact the Moto Q9H I understand, a device I believe this patch will help with too). The problem is that although the GPSID is configured and applications such as the built in Telenav and Windows Live Search can use the system fine, there is no COM port exposed to allow the vast majority of applications that use this connection method to use the GPS. DOH! And with no UI to configure it, you quickly hit a brick wall.

Nick was obviously quite annoyed at this (what with the GPS being the most significant upgrade to the old device, and the one he particularly wanted), so I set to work on solving the problem, and i'm proud to present my 'MoDaCo Smartphone GPS Activator' ;)

Available as either a 'over the air install' or a PC based install or an on-device CAB install (choose one or the other to suit), the activator provides the all important missing COM port for GPS access. After installing (and rebooting), you'll find you have a new COM4 port, and you can use any GPS application you like to your hearts content. Nick has tested it on his Blackjack II and it works a treat, i'm keen for someone to give it a go on their Q9H.

I'm at a loss as to why the feature wasn't in there in the first place (I'm guessing to try and tie people into Telenav?), but i'm real glad i've been able to fix the problem in this way.

Enjoy people, and spread the word to fellow BJII owners!

P

PS As a little bonus, this package also application unlocks your device, letting you do things like reorder the Start Menu how you like, etc!

PPS I've also just created a Blackjack II device discussion area, online now at http://i617.MoDaCo.com!

Over the Air Install: Enter 'http://modaco.com/gpsactivatorbj2' in your device browser!

On device Install (registered members): MoDaCo.SmartphoneGPSActivator.COM4.CAB

On PC Install (registered members): Setup.MoDaCo.SmartphoneGPSActivator.COM4.EXE

On device Install (mirror): http://Content.MoDaCo.net/MoDaCo.Smartphon...ivator.COM4.CAB

On PC Install (mirror): http://Content.MoDaCo.net/Setup.MoDaCo.Sma...ivator.COM4.EXE

Guest ctcost

Just wanted to say thanks guys. This is the greatest hack since sliced bread!

Loaded it on my Blackjack II, loaded Googloe maps nothing worked at first, then downloaded GPS utilities trial version from handango http://www.handango.com/SoftwareCatalog.js...p;platformId=11 , walked out back for a south facing view and within 5 minutes had 5 satellites Working now is Google Maps, GPS Utilities, and Windows Live...Pretty sure all else will work as well.

One guy further up said Samsung told him there was no receiver in the BJ II. They must have been covering up something because it does have an integrated SIRF II receiver according to their own literature,

At any rate, Thanks one more time for this great hack!!! ;)

PS make sure you take the time to wait for the system to warm up before calling any app not working.

Edited by ctcost

Guest Theguy2345

OK, I spent hours trying to get this to work. The ONLY thing I can't do is change Garmin Mobile XT's COM PORT to 4.

I can't find where to change the COM port. In Garmin Mobile XT, I tried Tools/settings/System/RemoteGPS ...but once in there, there is NO WAY to change a COM port.

All I get is a yellow bar that says "Scanning Attached". If I "disable" that, I get: "Connection allowed to Garmin GPS device only"

HOW DO I SET THE COM PORT TO 4?

Please help

Edited by Theguy2345

Guest champ91

these are the steps for mine to work with Garmin

1. Install GPS activation (restart)

2. Install GPSID settings ( set to program: com 4/ hardware: blank/rate: 38400, Auto: checked)

3. Install GPS test (change settings to same as GPSID)

4. Turn on GPS test (minimize)

5. Open Garmin, change GPS to GPS intermediate....

6. Go to GPS info and wait for signal. (IMPORTANT: make sure you are somewhere either at a window or outside is best where you can actually pick up a signal. I think a lot of people are experiencing problems because they are sitting beside their computer when they are doing this. Go outside and try and wait for 5 mins.

Those are the steps that worked for me....I'm sure it's not going to help everyone, but hope someone will get it to work.

Guest yarojack

Ok guys, I know that this topic may be getting to a lot of people already. Here is my problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated

I have a SGH-i616 and i cannot install the .cab file patch to get the GPS to work. As a direct PC install, it says "install complete" however when I go to add and remove programs the file is not there. With the on device install it says I am not authorized to install software. That being said google maps, when first installed picked up a signal and gave me a location but no locked satelites. It lasted about 5 mins after which nothing worked. My guess is that modaco patch is not installed. Where do I start?

Cheers

Well, since it said it was installed, start doing this: Start>Applications>File Explorer. It should be there once you do those steps. It should show up MoDaCo.SmartphoneGPSActivator.COM4 Hope this helps.

Ok guys, I know that this topic may be getting to a lot of people already. Here is my problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated

I have a SGH-i616 and i cannot install the .cab file patch to get the GPS to work. As a direct PC install, it says "install complete" however when I go to add and remove programs the file is not there. With the on device install it says I am not authorized to install software. That being said google maps, when first installed picked up a signal and gave me a location but no locked satelites. It lasted about 5 mins after which nothing worked. My guess is that modaco patch is not installed. Where do I start?

Cheers

Guest BD_Pompey

>You simply install your GPS app of choice and in the GPS ettings...set it to COM4.

Can someone tell me how I do this in Tom Tom Navigator 6? I've got Tom Tom working on the Blackjack II but in the GPS configuration screen it simply gives me the Tom Tom bluetooth device or "Other bluetooth device". I can't seem to get it to see the internal GPS device at all.

Also, I can't see ANYWHERE to be able to configure my GPSID settings. Any ideas?

BD

Device install it says I am not authorized to install software.

FOR ROGERS version of the SAMSUNG JACK i616

1. Download SDA Application Unlock

http://www.myblackjack2.com/hacks-and-mods...ation-unlocker/

2. Reboot

3. Install the MoDaCo patch

http://www.myblackjack2.com/hacks-and-mods/modaco-gps-hack/

4. Reboot

5. Install Google Maps Mobile

6. Set setting in Google maps for COM4

All of this worked perfect for the Windows Mobile 6.0 but when we upgraded for Windows Mobile 6.1, this does not work.

Question yarojack, did you install the upgrade to 6.1?

I installed using the on device installation. I checked my remove programs list and it shows smartphone gps activator. I restarted my phone. When I go to google maps it shows my location about a half mile off. I select menu and tell it to use gps, it says seeking gps satellites (0)... this may go on for ten minutes before it tells me it is not available. What am I doing wrong? When I first got my phone I used the $10 a month att gps and it was accurate within a few feet. Most gps devices don't charge once you purchase the device and it seem ridiculous to have to continue paying for something I already bought. My friends with iphones hit google maps and it uses the gps for free and they are also on att so it must just be their own phones they lock. By the way I am new to your site and everything looks great. Keep up the good work.

As you probably know from this thread our very own 'encece' (Nick) has been out splashing his hard earned on a shiny new AT&T Blackjack II. It's a great looking device with a few decent spec bumps over the original Blackjack, specifically the inclusion of a SiRF III GPS chip.

Upon starting to use his device however, Nick came across the problem that every Blackjack II owner is facing... the GPS implementation on the device is, er, interesting.

As some of you may know, when Microsoft designed the GPS Intermediary Driver for Windows Mobile 6, they created a user interface to configure it for Pocket PC, but not Smartphone. The GPSID is a driver that sits between the GPS hardware and the application that is using it, providing access to the GPS hardware and doing clever things such as allowing multiple applications to use the connection. All good, but there is a problem with the implementation on the Blackjack (and in fact the Moto Q9H I understand, a device I believe this patch will help with too). The problem is that although the GPSID is configured and applications such as the built in Telenav and Windows Live Search can use the system fine, there is no COM port exposed to allow the vast majority of applications that use this connection method to use the GPS. DOH! And with no UI to configure it, you quickly hit a brick wall.

Nick was obviously quite annoyed at this (what with the GPS being the most significant upgrade to the old device, and the one he particularly wanted), so I set to work on solving the problem, and i'm proud to present my 'MoDaCo Smartphone GPS Activator' :lol:

Available as either a 'over the air install' or a PC based install or an on-device CAB install (choose one or the other to suit), the activator provides the all important missing COM port for GPS access. After installing (and rebooting), you'll find you have a new COM4 port, and you can use any GPS application you like to your hearts content. Nick has tested it on his Blackjack II and it works a treat, i'm keen for someone to give it a go on their Q9H.

I'm at a loss as to why the feature wasn't in there in the first place (I'm guessing to try and tie people into Telenav?), but i'm real glad i've been able to fix the problem in this way.

P

PS As a little bonus, this package also application unlocks your device, letting you do things like reorder the Start Menu how you like, etc!

PPS I've also just created a Blackjack II device discussion area, online now at http://i617.MoDaCo.com!

Over the Air Install: Enter 'http://modaco.com/gpsactivatorbj2' in your device browser!

On PC Install (registered members): Setup.MoDaCo.SmartphoneGPSActivator.COM4.EXE

On device Install (mirror): http://Content.MoDaCo.net/MoDaCo.Smartphon...ivator.COM4.CAB

On PC Install (mirror): http://Content.MoDaCo.net/Setup.MoDaCo.Sma...ivator.COM4.EXE

Not sure what i am doing wrong, but when i use the pc install, (my device is connected) THe add/remove programs feature of blackjack II active sync says that there are "no device compatible programs available"

I tried copying the cab file over to my documents using file explorer, but am not sure how to install it from my device itself...

Could someone please help? My device is i617

Edited by corbis

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Problem when running the GPS activator on BlackJack II.

Details :

Hardware is : i617DVHH6

HW-Ver : Rev0.3

OS - Windows Mobile 6.1

---- CE OS 5.2.19208

---- Build 192.08.1.0.1

When attempting to install the GPS unlock the application installs but then complains with an error along the lines of "this application may not display correctly as it was designed for a previous version of the software"

When i attempt to make any changes with the GPSID Settings application ( even to change the baud rate ) i see an error "Failed to update GPS driver".

Any thoughts or suggestions ??

Note : I have attempted Champ91's suggestions regarding GPS Test and waiting for ~5 mins outside. No luck ( perhaps i need to wait longer?? B)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Atrix Suhendra

Not working Boss in my Samsung i780 ( Indonesia ), I used Google Maps...

when I start the application then update my location Google maps Seeking GPS Signal and never ending...

Always No Signal, Why...

How about the GPS hadware Port and Program Setting, Also the Baud Rate...

Please...CONFUSE :rolleyes:

Can someone send me step by step instructions on hacking my gps?

Atrixs

Guest Crimzon

Ok...I'm a n00b to this hold smartphone thing...I was wondreing since I have a BJ2 with WM 6.1 on my now will I need to app unlock my phone to enable GPS? I would greatly appreciate anyone that would be able to walk me through the process of putting a GPS map program on my phone. any help would be appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest some1knew

Hi,

I am a total newbie when it comes to cell phone mods. I have just got myself a Fido Jack (i616) and would like to enable the GPS functionality on it.

i tried using the PC install version of this fix, but i keep getting "There are no device-compatible programs available" (See image attached). Am i doing something wrong or not following the proper steps?

Also how does one go about going the "On device install" route?

The OS is WM6.1.

TIA

No_device_avail.bmp

Edited by some1knew

Guest kheung

Nick was obviously quite annoyed at this (what with the GPS being the most significant upgrade to the old device, and the one he particularly wanted), so I set to work on solving the problem, and i'm proud to present my 'MoDaCo Smartphone GPS Activator' :rolleyes:

P

Hi paul,

Can i use those .cab files on Omnia? thanks

just got a bj2 and finally, after 3 days of frustration, my gps is working.

running windows mobile 6.1 on fido network in canada

had to run app unlock before i could apply the patch, which was weird because no one else on the forum had that problem

installed patch, restarted

installed google maps

installed gpstest

ran gpstest, picked up 4 satellites, noticed the setting the gpstest found when searching for gps device, mine was COM4 at 9600

ran google maps and put same settings for gps. started the gps and picked up 6 satellites. ran around the block (i have no car, sadly) and gps followed on google maps.

wow.

next step is to have toronto map cache into my phone so that i dont need data. looking into mgmaps. if anyone has any advice please let me know.

Thanks to all that contributed to the forum.

Tom

Hi,

I am brand new to the world of phone modification. I have a blackjack II merlot on Rogers in canada. It is running w6.1 OS. I have been trying to install the HTC theme. When I try to install I get the message "Installation was unsuccessful. The program or setting cannot be installed because it does not have sufficient system permissions". In the description for installing the theme it says that you likely have to app unlock the device first. I have tried a couple of times to do this. When I try to on device install the gps activator.cab I get the same "system permissions, etc... message. I have also tried to email the cab file and save it to my blackjack. When I try to install the cab file after sending it to my blackjack in this fashion I get the same message. Please help.

Also, please forgive me if this difficulty has already been addressed within this forum.

Thanks,

Jeff M

Guest alexander101

Ok, so I am not very savvy with smart phone stuff, I have the Blackjack II and I updated to WM6.1, I want to be able to access the GPS without going through the provider. Also I do not have a data plan so I do not use the web browser. Ultimately I want to purchase the Mobile Garmin XT. But I want to make sure I can unlock my GPS first.

I installed the GPS activator from this website and its on my phone, but I am not sure how to configure it. I see that when I open the GPSID settings I can selec the Program Port, the Hardware Port, and the Hardware Port Baud Rate and I can check the Manage Automatically box. What are the configurations that I need to set each of those to?

I also installed the NoniGPSPlot freeware from http://www.smartphone-freeware.com/

I have messed around with the settings a few times and I cannot get anything to work. What setting do I need to configure the GPSID settings to?

seems like bj2 has some issues with win 6.1 and fido network when you use the app unlock tool where you will get no sounds during calls

I did a hard reset

used the GPSID Utility set at com4 and 9600

used gpstest to test the gps. took a few minutes to get fix.

tried with google maps, windows live search, and garmin and they all work.

if i could only get the gps to get a quicker fix.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest pedalninja

I have a FIDO BJII i616 with wm 6.1 installed, i tried so many times to install this hack with ZERO success, after 3 days of farting around with this hack off and on, i was ready to give up and just pay for Telenav, of course the very last thing i tried worked for me. what i did was perform a hard reset on my phone by taking out my sim card, AND turning the unit on by pressing up on the wheel and power at the same time. (this erases everything stored on the phone and returns it to "just out of the box mode") once the format was done and the phone rebooted, i then re-installed the sim card, once it restarted again, i then proceeded to 1st install the "application unlock", (search earlier in this thread for it) it said it was done properly (there is no way to verify that it actually worked though), then i rebooted the phone, 2nd i installed the com4 hack (i placed the .cab version of this hack into "my documents" and located and executed the file using "File Explorer found in "Applications"), after that installed and rebooted the BJ yet again, then next i installed GPSID, (this i left alone and didn't even run it to select a com port, i just simply installed it.) once that was installed i then rebooted again, after the reboot i then installed GPSTest.exe, and re-booted yet again, once it finished rebooting i ran GPSTest and when into it's menu and changed the com port from "auto" to "com 4" leaving the baud rate at 9600, then i closed GPSTest and re-opened it again and let it run, and to my delight and relief it connected!! and quite easily to more than 4 satellites! I then proceeded to install google maps, rebooted and ran it, it worked like a charm, it connected easily to the GPS satellites. so i moved on and then installed Garmin Mobile XT and it's map pack for North america and again rebooted lol, and it now works just like a stand alone GPS! I LOVE THIS PHONE EVEN MORE NOW LOL, it's perfect, i ride very long distances on my road bike and always find myself asking for directions, this now allows me to easily find my way without having to stop and find someone that knows their way around the town i'm in. sometimes i'm in the middle of nowhere and asking is just not an option, so this could prove to be a life saver! I love it!! A HUGE HUGE Thanks for the hack!! Hopefully this may help some others out there having trouble installing it on a FIDO/Rogers BlackJack i616 with WM 6.1 :( , good luck!!

Edited by pedalninja

Guest jasonnelms

I already had Google Maps installed on my BJ2 with WINMo 6.1. I installed the fix, rebooted, set GMM to Com4 9600 Baud and when I choose use GPS, I get an error saying No GPS receiver was found. make sure you have a GPS receiver blah blah.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.