Samsung Blackjack II GPS... ACTIVATED!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Sed8ed

Recieved my BJII today from the U.S. Is working beautifully. Now on to the subject of GPS. I have installed the GPS test app and I installed the hack and software unlocker prior to installation of any other software. From start of the GPS test app I got "searching for GPS device" on COM 1 and then COM 2 and then COM 3 and BAM COM 4 started it and it took off, I was standing outside and had a six satellite lock in roughly 2 minutes...then gradually building to app 8 sat's. I installed Tom Tom 6 and my Australian Map's. I had some instructions regarding another HTC smartphone device on how to hex edit the COM port number.

NOW before i go further it doesnt work and probably wast going to but I was interested in how I might get it to work. I guess before I begin my discovery and exploration my questions are can Tom Tom be modified in any way??? How would one modify the app to look internally for gps. The problem with Tom Tom is it either looks for a Bluetooth GPS or a serial device...is there any way to make our internal device the serial device running on com port 4. Can something be made to insert or start in between the app and the GPS to connect the two??? I tried running GPS test app and then minimising and turning on Tom Tom but I really didnt think it would work and it didnt LOL but I think only because the internal GPS cant be set in Tom Tom....This is the hurdle. The GPS test app had lock but Tom Tom saw nothing as it obviously wasnt looking in the right place. Is there any way to find out where Tom Tom is looking when it's not using bluetooth to connect. If I could some how get a hack to show the internal GPS as a serial GPS it could work??? (oh god please work LOL)

My Tom Tom App is from my tytn and isnt properly compatible with my device but it runs and I can select most menu items...selecting a place to navigate is my lowest concern but being able to run my internal GPS is so I will work with it for now..I dont have Tom Tom edition for smartphone to work with so this might still be a hurdle without a touch screen. When I installed Tom Tom I selected "other NMEA GPS device" (not bluetooth but the serial look (cable) device so that it didnt turn on bluetooth when starting"

It seems that all is needed is some kind of bridge to make the internal GPS a serial device recognised by Tom Tom or any other standalone app for that matter. What could be done and where can I/We start to look probe for holes..can anyone suggest what it is thats needed or if it's viable to even attempt such a thing?? I have little experience but I am willing to offer testing and good feedback...I can navigate a PPC or smartphone quite well and I am sure the reg editing if required would be picked up quickly ( I have used one before but mainly to add already modified texts from guides)...

I think we need to move on from WLS and GMAPS as thery are DATA reliant and Data isnt available to everyone all the time or cheap..(prices are dropping). I also want turn by turn voice direction and full planning..and Tom Tom and other apps offer this without issue. I consider the GPS in the BJII to be of decent capability...it took roughly the same time to recieve a lock as my bluetooth reciver from cold boot and it's also a sirf III chipset like the BJII...

Seems like such a small hurdle for such a great device.....The hurdle seems worse as I searched for smartphone apps and similiar apps for my BJII. It would seem the PPC version of software is easily found and obtained but there is no dedicated areas for SP editions of WM6...every thread i look at has info on app resolutions and workarounds for PPC based WM6 but SP seems to be the shunned OS....

Let's go hard on the BJII....super device (gotta show them Q9 owners we purchased right)

Guest mike02

may sound stupid but how exactly do you install the cab files or the com.exe way on BJII? when I open (on pc) the set up it tells me not compatible files for your devise. Do I drag the cab files over to some folder on BJ? Thanks for explanation for dummies. Mike

On device Install (registered members): MoDaCo.SmartphoneGPSActivator.COM4.CAB

On PC Install (registered members): Setup.MoDaCo.SmartphoneGPSActivator.COM4.EXE

On device Install (mirror): http://Content.MoDaCo.net/MoDaCo.Smartphon...ivator.COM4.CAB

On PC Install (mirror): http://Content.MoDaCo.net/Setup.MoDaCo.Sma...ivator.COM4.EXE

Guest Sed8ed
may sound stupid but how exactly do you install the cab files or the com.exe way on BJII? when I open (on pc) the set up it tells me not compatible files for your devise. Do I drag the cab files over to some folder on BJ? Thanks for explanation for dummies. Mike

On PC Install (registered members): Setup.MoDaCo.SmartphoneGPSActivator.COM4.EXE

On device Install (mirror): http://Content.MoDaCo.net/MoDaCo.Smartphon...ivator.COM4.CAB

On PC Install (mirror): http://Content.MoDaCo.net/Setup.MoDaCo.Sma...ivator.COM4.EXE

For on device you must place on phone either on storage card. Navigate with the file explorer to find file and then click on it to install. Most on device .cabs look like a winrsr file for me but you don't unzip them.. Just place on the phone and install.

I was just wondering if i do all this with the GPS and download all the proper apps, do i have to pay any extra to AT&T for using the GPS if i dont have a data plan and just a standard calling plan?

A QUESTION FOR EVERYONE WHO HAS THIS WORKING:

Which GPS Apps have you been able to get working other than GoogleMaps and WIndows Live Search???

WORKING:

CamerAware

GPSTest (Free GPS Testing App available on Smartphone.net)

NOT WORKING:

Mapopolis

Efficasoft GPS Tools

I just loaded this program on my 9Qh and it works greathttp://aeguerre.free.fr/Public/PocketPC/NoniGPSPlot/EN/download.php

Guest DarkCloud908

VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!

Dont forget to restart your device after applying the cab.

No, you dont see anything change anywhere on the phone.

You simply install your GPS app of choice and in the GPS ettings...set it to COM4.

Voila!

I download the .cab file onto the pc and i see a "1001.tmp" file... Where exactly do I put that?

Guest Eric Chen

Okay well here's my dillema

I used GPSID insted of the hack and I had a data plan -- i NEVER got a signle satellite.

So i go to cingular and cancelled my mediaNET plan ... and then ran GPS again and BAM i get 8 satellites ... but clearly no maps downloaded ....

So I reactivate my data plan again and now GPS doesn't work

I deactivated it again and GPS works ... is there something going on with MediaNET blocking the GPS?

Guest Rose4You

I tried it is not installing :) . I am completely new to this, can you explain how to install,

If I install using activesync or Executing the exe it says this file is not campatible.

Can any one help me

Guest Rose4You
I tried it is not installing :) . I am completely new to this, can you explain how to install,

If I install using activesync or Executing the exe it says this file is not campatible.

Can any one help me

After reading all the replies, I copied the cab file to storage card and executed from the device, It gives an error message saying this may be designed for a previous version of windows mobile any idea?

Guest jmounteer

I don't have the version of GPSTest in my windows dorectory referenced below. (and yes, I can see hidden files on the mobile using my PC). Any idea where to get it? I do have the Chartcross GPSTest program, but it doesn't have the menu options mentioned below.

Okay, got this on Christmas and spent all of from then until now (the 29th) working on getting the GPS to work, and properly. Here is my final verdict:

In order to get it working, do a hard reset on your device. Get rid of everything. (turn it off, hold UP arrow key while powering it up and follow the instructions). Now after the reset, create a shortcut on your startmenu for the GPSTest application (ALREADY ON YOUR DEVICE! - make a txt file with notepad, and type 23#"\Windows\GPSTest.exe" save it as "GPSTest.lnk", go into your folder options and uncheck hide file extensions and make sure it is only GPSTest.lnk, not GPSTest.lnk.txt. Now put that in your /windows/start menu folder on your device) Launch that application and press menu-option. Set Operating type to standalone, session to nevigation, and start type to Cold. Press Done and then Menu - Start. Give it 5 to 10 minutes to acquire a signal. Let it sit near a window or stand outside with it. IF IT DOESN'T ACQUIRE A SIGNAL: START ALL OVER AGAIN! If no signal, hard reset your device and do everything all over again until it gets a signal! IT WILL EVENTUALLY!

Once you get your first signal, DO NOT CLOSE THE APP! Let it run for as long as possible. I left mine overnight! After that, install the Modaco Hack to enable the COM4 (it won't affect the actual GPS device, it's just useful). Now I strongly recommend you use GPSTest before launching anything. let it run and try to acquire a signal. It seems to take my phone 3 to 5 minutes to acquire any signals no matter what. So before you go anywhere, fire up GPSTest and let it run while you get ready to go.

That's how I did it. Now I'm convinced this is just how you sort of "break it in." Without breaking it in, it won't seems to work. I went two days of no GPS on my device until I did this. For the first night, I left the GPS test app trying to connect over night and it didn't connect. Now it always gets a signal within 3-5 minutes.

After all of that, you can install any apps and it should work fine if you launch GPSTest and start it first. I use Garmin XT with it and no problems. Gmaps, WLS, and GPSvp also work fine.

You can obtain the GPStest shortcut on the threads...it will enable you to start the built in app. For those installing the .cab ignore all the warnings and install regardless. We all get those warnings. Just proceed with the install. You'll get lots of those warnings when installing on the BJII so get used to it... Make sure the device is FULLY APPLICATION unlocked.

Guest ticarre
You can obtain the GPStest shortcut on the threads...it will enable you to start the built in app. For those installing the .cab ignore all the warnings and install regardless. We all get those warnings. Just proceed with the install. You'll get lots of those warnings when installing on the BJII so get used to it... Make sure the device is FULLY APPLICATION unlocked.

I do have a few questions...

First off, let me tell you a bit of my 'history' with the hack.

- Tried it once, didn't work. I had not read the part where I have to reboot the device after installing the hack.

- Tried it again, this time, making sure I rebooted. Worked as a charm, and I was showing off for 2 days straight. THEN, something weird happened: My application froze (googlemaps) and I had to restart the device.

Ever since that happened, nothing has been working for me.

I have reformatted the device at least 3 TIMES and nothing is working.

--> How do I know my device is fully app unlocked?

What am i missing??

Please help !

As you probably know from this thread our very own 'encece' (Nick) has been out splashing his hard earned on a shiny new AT&T Blackjack II. It's a great looking device with a few decent spec bumps over the original Blackjack, specifically the inclusion of a SiRF III GPS chip.

Upon starting to use his device however, Nick came across the problem that every Blackjack II owner is facing... the GPS implementation on the device is, er, interesting.

As some of you may know, when Microsoft designed the GPS Intermediary Driver for Windows Mobile 6, they created a user interface to configure it for Pocket PC, but not Smartphone. The GPSID is a driver that sits between the GPS hardware and the application that is using it, providing access to the GPS hardware and doing clever things such as allowing multiple applications to use the connection. All good, but there is a problem with the implementation on the Blackjack (and in fact the Moto Q9H I understand, a device I believe this patch will help with too). The problem is that although the GPSID is configured and applications such as the built in Telenav and Windows Live Search can use the system fine, there is no COM port exposed to allow the vast majority of applications that use this connection method to use the GPS. DOH! And with no UI to configure it, you quickly hit a brick wall.

Nick was obviously quite annoyed at this (what with the GPS being the most significant upgrade to the old device, and the one he particularly wanted), so I set to work on solving the problem, and i'm proud to present my 'MoDaCo Smartphone GPS Activator' :)

Available as either a 'over the air install' or a PC based install or an on-device CAB install (choose one or the other to suit), the activator provides the all important missing COM port for GPS access. After installing (and rebooting), you'll find you have a new COM4 port, and you can use any GPS application you like to your hearts content. Nick has tested it on his Blackjack II and it works a treat, i'm keen for someone to give it a go on their Q9H.

I'm at a loss as to why the feature wasn't in there in the first place (I'm guessing to try and tie people into Telenav?), but i'm real glad i've been able to fix the problem in this way.

Enjoy people, and spread the word to fellow BJII owners!

P

PS As a little bonus, this package also application unlocks your device, letting you do things like reorder the Start Menu how you like, etc!

PPS I've also just created a Blackjack II device discussion area, online now at http://i617.MoDaCo.com!

Over the Air Install: Enter 'http://modaco.com/gpsactivatorbj2' in your device browser!

Paul, I have a couple of questions. I cannot get it to work with either MS Live Search, Google Maps, or CoPilot 6 for Windows Mobile Smartphone. I've tried each of those with and without the hack. I've tried MSLS and GM with both the GPS Intermediary Driver and COM 4, both with and without the hack. Yeah, that is a lot of permutations and A LOT of Hard Resets. When I install the hack, I place and run your .cab in the My Documents folder of the device.

So here are my questions:

1) Is it possible that AT&T has made some of their Blackjack II's "GPS Activator Proof?" Or at some point they closed whatever coding window you were taking advantage of?

2) Is it possible you need to sign up for the trial of Telenav GPS in order to "open" whatever coding window you were taking advantage of? I'm pretty sure you've emphatically denied that in another post, but my head spins reading this thread, so I'm asking you to confirm, I guess.

3) What does "over the air install" mean? When I open that link in PIE on my BJ II, I just see gobbledygook characters in the PIE window. Doesn't seem to run or open anything.

4) What do you mean by "After installing (and rebooting), you'll find you have a new COM4 port?" It is a silent install, right? Is there somewhere I look after the install to confirm that I "have a new COM4 port?"

My company just ordered these BJ II's for dozens or so of us, and many of us are frustrated with this GPS functionality, and would love to be able to figure out your hack. AT&T customer support is flat out saying to us that the phone will only support Telenav and GM. I guess they are throwing the public a bone by acknowledging that GM should work. Even so, I just can't make it happen.

6) Several of the posts here say things like "just wait 10 or so minutes, and it will work. Then the next time, it will be faster." Do you agree with these folks? Why would it take longer the first time? Both GM and WLS seem to time out after a bit. I've never timed it, but it always seemed to be far less than 10 minutes.

Answers to some or all of these questions may help me a great deal. This might be the most frustrated I've ever been with the 8 or 9 pocket pcs I've had in the last few years.

Guest zimberto

It seems to me that unlocking the GPS is really just turning the GPS chip on. Let's face it, you wouldn't want the GPS chip on 24/7 sucking your battery life if you weren't using it. So whatever apps access the GPS chip need to turn it on when they run, and turn it off when they exit. Using GPSTest you can turn it on by running GPSTest and choosing "start". Leaving it running (not selecting "Done"), you can open your mapping software and access the GPS. If your GPS software ever stops being able to access the GPS, it's probably because the GPS has stopped and needs to be restarted. When AT&T implemented locking on the GPS, they probably just tried to control which software can turn the GPS on and off.

Edited by zimberto

Guest moeriscus

No Dice for me on BJII...

1) Installed CAB

2) Rebooted

3) Installed Google Maps

4) Set to COM4 at 19200

5) Gmaps' response: "Your GPS receiver does not appear to be responding etc. etc."

Was hanging out my third floor apartment window in Boston with no obstructions...

Oh well. Don't really have much need for the GPS anyway.. Just thought it would be a nice novelty...

Guest moeriscus

OK. Scratch that... I followed in-thread advice and switched the settings back to default ('set by windows') in Google maps. It almost immediately detected 6 satellites and zoomed in on my location... However, since I didn't really test it out before installing the unlocking program, I don't know whether it was working the whole time or not... We'll see if it remains functional or dies in a few days, like it has for some other people... Thanks MoDaCo!

No Dice for me on BJII...

1) Installed CAB

2) Rebooted

3) Installed Google Maps

4) Set to COM4 at 19200

5) Gmaps' response: "Your GPS receiver does not appear to be responding etc. etc."

Was hanging out my third floor apartment window in Boston with no obstructions...

Oh well. Don't really have much need for the GPS anyway.. Just thought it would be a nice novelty...

Did you application unlock your device? Also read this thread:

http://www.modaco.com/content/Samsung-i617...r-Blackjack-II/

Edited by sb0611

Guest yagermeister

I had installed the cab onto a BJ I that was just upgraded to WM6 and it installed successfully but now Google Maps MyLocation doesn't even work (it was working prior to installing the hack.) I have removed the application but the effects are still lingering. I have also reformatted but not reinstalled the WM6 rom. Any ideas on how to repair short of reinstalling the WM6 rom again?

Guest yagermeister
I had installed the cab onto a BJ I that was just upgraded to WM6 and it installed successfully but now Google Maps MyLocation doesn't even work (it was working prior to installing the hack.) I have removed the application but the effects are still lingering. I have also reformatted but not reinstalled the WM6 rom. Any ideas on how to repair short of reinstalling the WM6 rom again?

And yes, I know BJ I does not have GPS thanks to encece :), I was just testing and will not be reinstalling it.

Guest malicea66
As you probably know from this thread our very own 'encece' (Nick) has been out splashing his hard earned on a shiny new AT&T Blackjack II. It's a great looking device with a few decent spec bumps over the original Blackjack, specifically the inclusion of a SiRF III GPS chip.

Upon starting to use his device however, Nick came across the problem that every Blackjack II owner is facing... the GPS implementation on the device is, er, interesting.

As some of you may know, when Microsoft designed the GPS Intermediary Driver for Windows Mobile 6, they created a user interface to configure it for Pocket PC, but not Smartphone. The GPSID is a driver that sits between the GPS hardware and the application that is using it, providing access to the GPS hardware and doing clever things such as allowing multiple applications to use the connection. All good, but there is a problem with the implementation on the Blackjack (and in fact the Moto Q9H I understand, a device I believe this patch will help with too). The problem is that although the GPSID is configured and applications such as the built in Telenav and Windows Live Search can use the system fine, there is no COM port exposed to allow the vast majority of applications that use this connection method to use the GPS. DOH! And with no UI to configure it, you quickly hit a brick wall.

Nick was obviously quite annoyed at this (what with the GPS being the most significant upgrade to the old device, and the one he particularly wanted), so I set to work on solving the problem, and i'm proud to present my 'MoDaCo Smartphone GPS Activator' :)

Available as either a 'over the air install' or a PC based install or an on-device CAB install (choose one or the other to suit), the activator provides the all important missing COM port for GPS access. After installing (and rebooting), you'll find you have a new COM4 port, and you can use any GPS application you like to your hearts content. Nick has tested it on his Blackjack II and it works a treat, i'm keen for someone to give it a go on their Q9H.

I'm at a loss as to why the feature wasn't in there in the first place (I'm guessing to try and tie people into Telenav?), but i'm real glad i've been able to fix the problem in this way.

P

PS As a little bonus, this package also application unlocks your device, letting you do things like reorder the Start Menu how you like, etc!

PPS I've also just created a Blackjack II device discussion area, online now at http://i617.MoDaCo.com!

Over the Air Install: Enter 'http://modaco.com/gpsactivatorbj2' in your device browser!

Hello, I'm using blackjack 2. I've done everything to install GPS activator. Trying to use Mapopolis. I get a msg saing that GPS (Com4) is not available,I may need to reboot. I've sat outside thinking maybe it needs to actually lock up with satelite but no luck... Any sugestions

Guest 1point9turbo

does anyone know how to get the gps on? I dled the cab, the GPSID, and google maps. GPSTest finds com4 and just says GPS Starting Up...its been sitting here for a while. I am sure once its "started up" itll work but this seems to be the issue. Thanks

P

If they work so good for other people then how come everything I try to load one of these it's scramble... for instance... take the over the air install not luck scramble comes up on my screen, so does the on device stall.... What do I need to do to fix this.

Guest yagermeister
And yes, I know BJ I does not have GPS thanks to encece :), I was just testing and will not be reinstalling it.

I've solved my problem. I went ahead and used this shortcut to turn off 3G and then run Google Maps with My Location. Then you can change the setting back to 3G and Maps will work normally.

http://i607.org/wiki/doku.php?id=turn_off_3g_shortcut

Guest TITAN#13

P

I'm new to this site and I really need some help with my GPS link on my Blackjack II. I downloaded GPS activator to my pc and tried to move it to my phone but said I don't have admin rights to install program. I was wondering if anyone could give me step by step instructions for install to pc then phone or on device install. Thanks......

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.