Samsung Blackjack II GPS... ACTIVATED!

Guest PaulOBrien

I'm new to this site and I really need some help with my GPS link on my Blackjack II. I downloaded GPS activator to my pc and tried to move it to my phone but said I don't have admin rights to install program. I was wondering if anyone could give me step by step instructions for install to pc then phone or on device install. Thanks......

There are step by step instructions.........YOU NEED TO READ THE THREADS...(I am not yelling).

To be the Blackjack II Jedi Master you must read all GPS related threads to see how things have evolved.......All the answers are here and have already been combatted.....

Check out thelostsouls thread of tips...its always floating at the top of recent posts. It's been mentioned a hundered times to newbies.....APPLICATION UNLOCK your device or you cant install anything.

read read read read read read read............................................................................

...This is not a silver platter service for individuals. Use the search function it will amaze you.......

Guest zmansltx
As you probably know from this thread our very own 'encece' (Nick) has been out splashing his hard earned on a shiny new AT&T Blackjack II. It's a great looking device with a few decent spec bumps over the original Blackjack, specifically the inclusion of a SiRF III GPS chip.

Upon starting to use his device however, Nick came across the problem that every Blackjack II owner is facing... the GPS implementation on the device is, er, interesting.

As some of you may know, when Microsoft designed the GPS Intermediary Driver for Windows Mobile 6, they created a user interface to configure it for Pocket PC, but not Smartphone. The GPSID is a driver that sits between the GPS hardware and the application that is using it, providing access to the GPS hardware and doing clever things such as allowing multiple applications to use the connection. All good, but there is a problem with the implementation on the Blackjack (and in fact the Moto Q9H I understand, a device I believe this patch will help with too). The problem is that although the GPSID is configured and applications such as the built in Telenav and Windows Live Search can use the system fine, there is no COM port exposed to allow the vast majority of applications that use this connection method to use the GPS. DOH! And with no UI to configure it, you quickly hit a brick wall.

Nick was obviously quite annoyed at this (what with the GPS being the most significant upgrade to the old device, and the one he particularly wanted), so I set to work on solving the problem, and i'm proud to present my 'MoDaCo Smartphone GPS Activator' :)

Available as either a 'over the air install' or a PC based install or an on-device CAB install (choose one or the other to suit), the activator provides the all important missing COM port for GPS access. After installing (and rebooting), you'll find you have a new COM4 port, and you can use any GPS application you like to your hearts content. Nick has tested it on his Blackjack II and it works a treat, i'm keen for someone to give it a go on their Q9H.

I'm at a loss as to why the feature wasn't in there in the first place (I'm guessing to try and tie people into Telenav?), but i'm real glad i've been able to fix the problem in this way.

Enjoy people, and spread the word to fellow BJII owners!

P

PS As a little bonus, this package also application unlocks your device, letting you do things like reorder the Start Menu how you like, etc!

PPS I've also just created a Blackjack II device discussion area, online now at http://i617.MoDaCo.com!

Over the Air Install: Enter 'http://modaco.com/gpsactivatorbj2' in your device browser!

On device Install (registered members): MoDaCo.SmartphoneGPSActivator.COM4.CAB

On PC Install (registered members): Setup.MoDaCo.SmartphoneGPSActivator.COM4.EXE

On device Install (mirror): http://Content.MoDaCo.net/MoDaCo.Smartphon...ivator.COM4.CAB

On PC Install (mirror): http://Content.MoDaCo.net/Setup.MoDaCo.Sma...ivator.COM4.EXE

I am trying to download the cab file to my BJ II and I keep getting the same error message "this file cannot be viewed on this device" I know this isn't correct what setting do I need to change? and how?

Guest Tzar007

hi,

i try installing GPS Activator on my BJII but I GT FOLLOWING ERROR: "installation was unsussesfull. The program or settingcannot be installed because it dos not have sufficient system permissions"

Any ideas?

Thanks,

tzar

As you probably know from this thread our very own 'encece' (Nick) has been out splashing his hard earned on a shiny new AT&T Blackjack II. It's a great looking device with a few decent spec bumps over the original Blackjack, specifically the inclusion of a SiRF III GPS chip.

Upon starting to use his device however, Nick came across the problem that every Blackjack II owner is facing... the GPS implementation on the device is, er, interesting.

As some of you may know, when Microsoft designed the GPS Intermediary Driver for Windows Mobile 6, they created a user interface to configure it for Pocket PC, but not Smartphone. The GPSID is a driver that sits between the GPS hardware and the application that is using it, providing access to the GPS hardware and doing clever things such as allowing multiple applications to use the connection. All good, but there is a problem with the implementation on the Blackjack (and in fact the Moto Q9H I understand, a device I believe this patch will help with too). The problem is that although the GPSID is configured and applications such as the built in Telenav and Windows Live Search can use the system fine, there is no COM port exposed to allow the vast majority of applications that use this connection method to use the GPS. DOH! And with no UI to configure it, you quickly hit a brick wall.

Nick was obviously quite annoyed at this (what with the GPS being the most significant upgrade to the old device, and the one he particularly wanted), so I set to work on solving the problem, and i'm proud to present my 'MoDaCo Smartphone GPS Activator' :)

Available as either a 'over the air install' or a PC based install or an on-device CAB install (choose one or the other to suit), the activator provides the all important missing COM port for GPS access. After installing (and rebooting), you'll find you have a new COM4 port, and you can use any GPS application you like to your hearts content. Nick has tested it on his Blackjack II and it works a treat, i'm keen for someone to give it a go on their Q9H.

I'm at a loss as to why the feature wasn't in there in the first place (I'm guessing to try and tie people into Telenav?), but i'm real glad i've been able to fix the problem in this way.

P

PS As a little bonus, this package also application unlocks your device, letting you do things like reorder the Start Menu how you like, etc!

PPS I've also just created a Blackjack II device discussion area, online now at http://i617.MoDaCo.com!

Over the Air Install: Enter 'http://modaco.com/gpsactivatorbj2' in your device browser!

On PC Install (registered members): Setup.MoDaCo.SmartphoneGPSActivator.COM4.EXE

On device Install (mirror): http://Content.MoDaCo.net/MoDaCo.Smartphon...ivator.COM4.CAB

On PC Install (mirror): http://Content.MoDaCo.net/Setup.MoDaCo.Sma...ivator.COM4.EXE

Guest sabzimandi

A real GPS noob here and expecting to receive my BJII tomorrow with AT&T service.

I have read quite a few pages of info in these threads. I however have a couple of stupid questions....

1. Do I need any AT&T data plan in order to use the GPS? If not, do I use Data per minute/KB then and get charged by AT&T?

2. Application unlocking that is mentioned here, does this mean that I can use Sim from any service on this phone since it is unlocked?

Really excited to play with this and cannot wait.

Please do reply.

Thanks.

A real GPS noob here and expecting to receive my BJII tomorrow with AT&T service.

I have read quite a few pages of info in these threads. I however have a couple of stupid questions....

1. Do I need any AT&T data plan in order to use the GPS? If not, do I use Data per minute/KB then and get charged by AT&T?

2. Application unlocking that is mentioned here, does this mean that I can use Sim from any service on this phone since it is unlocked?

Really excited to play with this and cannot wait.

Please do reply.

Thanks.

1. Depends on your GPS program so you don't necessarily need data plan for GPS. WLS and Google Maps use data service to update their maps.

2. No, SIM unlock works different since you have to call AT&T for a IMEI (your phone) specific unlock code.

Edited by sb0611

Guest sotender

When I try to run On PC Install (registered members): setup.MoDaCo.SmartphoneGPSActivator.COM4.EXEzip.gif file it says that the phone is not connected even while it is. I have already run the install cd on my pc which is running Vista. Any suggestions

Guest Tzar007

I also get this message when I try to install App unlocker. :)

Help!!

hi,

i try installing GPS Activator on my BJII but I GT FOLLOWING ERROR: "installation was unsussesfull. The program or settingcannot be installed because it dos not have sufficient system permissions"

Any ideas?

Thanks,

tzar

Guest Mike187

Use the over the air version instead. If you get the garbled code that pops on your screen when you use it, just go back and reload the page until it asks if it is ok to download to My Docs - it will auto install from that point.

I also get this message when I try to install App unlocker. :)

Help!!

I am trying to download the GPS unlocker however getting a notice this program is not designed for my phone (i do have BJ2)

Could you help me resolve it,

Thanks,

P

Still nothing.

However this thing is supposed to app unlock the phone as well right?

What's Policy#1005 supposed to be 16 or 40?

Mine is 40

but I pulled the file that was installed and opened it up in notepad. This is copied and pasted straight from it:

"HKLM\Security\Policies\Policies" cfgnodetype="characteristic">

so which one should it be 40 or 16?

I have a question, where do you download Gmaps and do you need live search? Also, is there a simple way to do this, like step by step? I am leaving to iraq this weekend, and it would be nice to have Gmaps or any other app. just in case i get loss? Also do you guys recommend Octro app for blackjack 2? thanks...

I've had my BJII for almost 2 months and have not tried to do anything with the GPS until last week - I have followed the threads carefully and it appears that programs cannot access the GPS chip directly as the Com drivers have been replaced by the Intermediate driver - This appears to be the gateway to activating the GPS chip - There are few programs that currently do that - WLS, GM, Garmin NT and perhaps route 66 do and that is where people have had success- I decided to try GM and it worked right off the bat - installed program, allowed windows to manage (i.e. intermediate driver) and checked off "Use GPS" - and 6 satellite lock in a couple of minutes, a bit longer if I am in motion. You have to let the chip take some time to acquire the satellites . I'm not sure the BJ programs save the acquisition data for any length of time - Most GPS's do save the most recent data, correctly asssuming you will start again where you left it (a so called "warm start")- It appears that each new start for the BJII is a "cold start". It will start up slowly most new sessions.

The GPS test program seems to do the same aquisition that the other GPS programs do. Other programs can then "warm start" using that GPS test acquisition data. I don't think it has any magical wakeup powers.

I have a copy of TomTom GPS which I love, but it tries to directly access the Com ports and it appears that is not yet fully worked out by the hack. The hack may expose the port, but it seems that direct hardware access is still not fully reliable.

Some have had difficulties using GM and WLS together - I wonder if they are trying to run them simultaneously and somehow confusing the chip or the driver - WM6 doesn't really shut down programs very well and when you move to another program, you often leave the old one still running in memory. I have one good working GPS program and for my uses am satisified with that- I may switch to Garmin for the ability to use GPS in areas which my data plan doesnt cover. Before I do run another program , I will certainly be sure my other program is shut down or perhaps even remove it from the device.

Just my thoughts. Hope it helps.

Steve

Guest Disco Stu
user_off.pngdjdrecrib - Today, 10:14 Hi All...I am very tried of trying to get this thing to work with my BJII. I have try all 3 files. The Over Air install which install a folder in Windows/AppMgr/MoDaCO Smartphone GPS Activator and the file inside is 4000.temp 2.83kb(2900bytes). The Memeber Download (Same install but the file is c001.temp) and The mirror site is (3001.temp) all 3 are the same size. But when I unzip these 3 file they all have a Setup note file and a SMARTP~1.000 file which is 509kb in size??????When I try using the (Download from PC) files. Nothing seems to show up no Folder in Windows/Appmgr/MoDaCO Smartphone GPS Activator and no files any where. Can someone please help me.

Guest The Waldo
Ok. Update. Mine still doesn't work

I try GMAPS. If I set to COM4 - 19200 - it can't initialize GPS and times out. If I set to Automatic (Windows->Start) it initializes GPS but does not lock in any Satelites and times out after a while of searching.

I try WinLive. If I set it to COM4 it searches and searches and then times out. If I set it to Intermediate driver it cannot initialize gPS.

Same problem here.. Im using GMAPS and it just sits there for a while and then says your location within 1700 meters.. Im guessing something is working ok but it never finds any sats from what I can see.. I had to set mine to use the "set by windows" for the gps settings.. When I try using COM4 and 19200 it just says "initializing gps" and just stays there..

I also tried using Virtual Earth Mobile using the com4/19200 settings it says "could not open GPS port COM4" GetCommState() returned error 6.. Any help here?

This is using a Blackjack 2..

Right, well this is how I got it to work on MY Blackjack II:

I installed Windows Live and Google Maps. Then I installed this Modaco GPS activator. I opened Windows Live and set the GPS settings to COM4 and asked it to use GPS. After about two minutes of initializing, it worked. Then I asked Google Maps to center me using GPS after I set it to COM4 and it worked. However, if I ever want to use Google Maps without first using the GPS with Windows Live, it doesn't work. It just times out. I guess Windows Live boots up the GPS so that it can be used by Google Maps or any other application, really.

Guest busterman

P

I have installed the 'MoDaCo Smartphone GPS Activator' and I know it is installed because it's in the remove programs file, but I can't find it anywhere. I can't find it in any of the files using file explorer and its not on any of my menus. I got an error when I installed it that said that it might not display properly because it was designed for a previous version of Windows Mobile software. Can anyone direct me on what to do about this problem?

Thanks,

Damion

Guest Nottach

i dont know how i got this working, first i thought ok i have no gps, nothing worked, built in or gps test, install modaco activator a few times, hanged google maps to com4 19200, didnt find the receiver, changed back to windows settings, let it sit for awhile searching for satallites in google maps, found 7 after 15 mins, change in elevation ( 1 floor) may have helped. now everything is finding satallites.

hi,

Any ideas?

Thanks,

tzar

I have the new Fido i616 (BJ2 in Canada, basically) and I'm getting the same thing. I've tried the over air isntall, putting the cab on the phone directly, and the .exe.

At a loss.

Guest hhhbutkus

I am unsure how to make the GPS functional once I have installed the patch over the air. Could you send me step by step instructions to make the patch work on my BJ2?

Matt

I have the new Fido i616 (BJ2 in Canada, basically) and I'm getting the same thing. I've tried the over air isntall, putting the cab on the phone directly, and the .exe.

At a loss.

Actually, further to the "installation was unsussesfull. The program or setting cannot be installed because it dos not have sufficient system permissions" message and being generally unable to install the program...the result is that no programs are able to find a GPS device.

I have tried the MS GPSID program to set the device to Com 4. This has not helped any GPS software find the device.

I have attempted to run GPS Test, Google Maps, MS Live Search, Run.GPS (running distance calculation GPS software), and more. None of the programs can find the GPS unit at all.

Any thoughts? I feel that if the MoDaCo software could run, it would work...but maybe I'm just being too hopeful, hah.

i have installed that app for my blackjack 2 and installed it but where about do i go to chaged the setting and eveything kinda lost

P

Guest monsterbaldy

The first time I tried the GPS hack it didn't work for me at all, I tried everything, every setting... then I did this.

I uninstalled the hack.

I uninstalled google maps.

I installed the hack.

I installed googlemaps.

I tried again no dice. but only with it set to Automatic for Gps.

I uninstalled the hack... again.

I set googlemaps to COM4 19200.

It worked.

I am well aware of the difference between it finding satellites with GPS and just doing that other triangulation thing with an error of up to 5000m. When it worked, it had 5 gps satellites.

I have a theory that the hack won't work unless your phone is already app unlocked, and that is why a double install works as it app unlocks it the first time. I also don't think uninstalling it really does anything, I think that just happened to line up with me setting it to COM4 19200.

Anyhow... my 2 cents.

-ben

Guest mistervybe

any advice on how i can get tomtom to look for com port 4?

in tomtom i dont have any option to set the com port, and when i go to bluetooth settings it wont let me add a new outgoing port because i have no bluetooth devices added...any ideas?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.