Motorola Q9H (AT&T) GPS... ACTIVATED! [updated]

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest rfarrah
Attached is a COM3 version of the activator (as a CAB), which should solve the problems with power drain.

Let me know! :D

P

Tried to use this on USCC Q9c - no luck. How do I uninstall? It does not show up in the Remove Programs screen.

Thanks in advance.

Guest Lifyre

When I try using settings.exe it either errors out if I pick com ports (could be I really don't know which I should pick) or tells me "Failed to update GPS driver." Does anyone know anything more about how to use settings.exe other than run from the phone and click done? When I do that it gives me the fail message.

-Lify

Nevermind... I tried it again right after I wrote this post and it worked. I get a lock on GPS test now. Just to get the right maps into route 66.

-Lify

I am new to this so hope I am not barking up the wrong tree. On another forum regarding the same GPS issues, someone posted the following message attributed to Moto Developer Support:

"I would recommend against using the tool from MoDaCo. It keeps the GPS running all the time and will drain your battery very quickly. Both WLS and (at least) the non Java version of Google Maps will use the Intermediate driver out of the box.

Instead I would download the official tool from Microsoft (Alas is it in a huge download, and while the license says one can distribute it with your own software, it does not say if you can distribute it standalone or I would provide just the file) that lets you do this. The link for the SDK I have provided above. The file is "Windows Mobile 6 SDK\Tools\GPS\settings.exe".

This allows you to turn on and off the COM Port Multiplexing , set the COM Port, BPS rate, etc. at will. When it is playing nice, it will start and stop the GPS Engine only when something is talking to the COM port.

I have found it may take a reboot to get it to kick in, and some fiddling to get it to only run the GPS when needed, but it is way better than the DoMoCo solution, and is part of the OS (Well Mobile 6 Pro anyways)

It is does really Unlock anything, this is a normal feature built into the specs of the OS, it just changes a couple registry settings. This tool is provided with all touchscreen versions of Windows Mobile 6 BTW."

I assume that the writer was referring to the original MoDaCo hack for Com 5 and is unaware of the Com 3 update. With that being said, I'm wondering if this suggestion works. I've installed the file on my AT&T Q9h and it does seem to work, although I haven't yet actually tried the settings (I'm hesitant to do so until I can get some advice from someone with a great deal more experience than me). I'm including Settings.exe and the related ReadMe file and would appreciate any thoughts/comments.

Edited by Lifyre

Guest rfarrah
Tried to use thie Com 3 version on a USCC Q9c - no luck. How do I uninstall? It does not show up in the Remove Programs screen.

Thanks in advance.

....anyone?

Guest Airbrushed
I have downloaded the com3 activation and I see NO file with a .CAB extension. Am I missing something? How do I get my phone to recognize the file? Help!

The first thing to note is that you won't see system files, including .CAB's when using "My Stuff" You'll need to use "File Explorer" and browse to where you saved the file.

Hope this helps.

Guest craiggiarc

So I thought I'd add to the questions by asking about whether this should work for the Moto Q9c on Alltel.

I can't see any GPS Settings anywhere and after I install the cab file from this thread Google Maps and Live Search can't locate me using GPS.

After installing this .cab file, which I do see in the add/remove list on my phone, do I need to do anything els?

Thanks in advance

Craig

Guest craiggiarc
So I thought I'd add to the questions by asking about whether this should work for the Moto Q9c on Alltel.

I can't see any GPS Settings anywhere and after I install the cab file from this thread Google Maps and Live Search can't locate me using GPS.

After installing this .cab file, which I do see in the add/remove list on my phone, do I need to do anything els?

Thanks in advance

Craig

It's all gone very quiet on this thread lately. :D

If anyone wants to help me get this working on an Alltel Moto Q9c I know a lot of people who would be very thankful.

Craig

Guest lgorbena

Ok, I am slighty new to the modding mobile devices...

I tried to download this to my phone and all it does is make my data services unavailable. I tried twice and had to use the master clear button to fix the problem.

What can I do to make this work?

thanks

Guest scubasteve854

Wheres the link for the com3 application. I only see the com5 aviliable. I tried using the com5 version but I still experience the same level of power drain as the com4 version. Help!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mukulmatta
This is an awesome find. Unfortunately I cannot get it to work with COM5. After manually editing the registry to try and connect on COM4, everything worked perfectly with the GPS... the only downside is data wouldn't work so it wouldn't download the maps :D

Now I am just trying to manually edit the GPS COM port until I find one that lets me use data and aGPS. This leads me to believe that not all Q9hs are created equal :D

how to deactivate the GPS on the phone , its killing my battery , also someone said , google mobile map works with Q9h , as i tried it , it gives me error , saying that i need data plan ,....??? any solution to it , i am using COM 5 , but need solution to turn off and turn on GPS , to save battery life.

thxx

• 2 weeks later...
Guest coastalbumm

Hello Everyone....

This post is aimed more at Paul, but I figured I would put it out there in case someone else had encountered this.

I had used the fixes previously and had gotten all to work. I was, however, feeling ambitious today. I upgraded my phone to WM 6.1 and the fixes do not work.

The phone is the same right off the bat, Google Maps works, windows live works, Garmin XT does not work.

Has anyone begun working on a fix for WM 6.1 to ulock the GPS???

Thanks!

Nic

Guest coastalbumm

Well.... I am rather impatient and decided to experiment. I got used to my GPS and didn't like not having NAV.... I was researching and found an older post on another forum and thought I would share.... I added the following keys, strings, and DWORD:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/GPS Intermediate Driver/Drivers]

"CurrentDriver"="Manually Configured Device"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/GPS Intermediate Driver/Drivers/Manually Configured Device]

"CommPort"="COM5:" << Name of the COM port the physical GPS hardware is connected to

"InterfaceType"="COMM"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/GPS Intermediate Driver/Multiplexer]

"DriverInterface"="COM5:" << Name of any free COM port applications will connect to

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/GPS Intermediate Driver/Multiplexer/ActiveDevice]

"Index"=dword:00000005 << Number of the free COM port used above

"Prefix"="COM"

I am going to test it on COM3 to avoid the battery drain in advance but this has enabled Garmin XT and is working on AT&T Branded WM 6.1

Enjoy-

Nic

• 4 weeks later...
Guest MotoSeattle

Updated my AT&T Q9h to Windows Mobile 6.1 (interesting how they simply change your home screen and general navigation...). Anyway, the GPS fix on COM3 does no longer work. Has there been an update to the fix?

GOD BLESS YOU!!!!!!! My AT&T Moto Q9h is up and running Mapquest Navigator GPS beautifully thanks to you! :D Initially I tried using TeleNav (since it was already installed on the phone and all!). What a Gosh-aweful program that is!! So when I started shopping around for a new navigation program, I realized the limitations of my phone's GPS capability. Frankly, I was ticked! Advertised as a GPS phone, I expected it to be exactly that. My searching led me here, and I followed your instructions closely...and TaDa! I can't thank you enough!

I installed an alarm program on my phone, Connective Tools Alarm Master Pro. It somehow disabled my GPS (and skrewed up my battery meter, sounds, homescreen etc.) After uninstalling, GPS was back up. Installed a lighter version of the alarm program, CTAlarmClock (I REALLY need an alarm clock program!). Once again, no GPS connection. Don't know why, just uninstalled it and reinstalled the MoDaCo GPS fix. Thank Goodness, it fixed my GPS!! So, I happily used my Mapquest Navigator today. Sadly, I'm too afraid to download another Alarm program...any suggestions??? GPS is more important, so I don't want to mess it up again.

Dude, you're a technical God!!

Muahhhhh!!!

Melissa

Gadget Geek :angry:

[Edit: Please read THIS POST for an updated (COM3) activator, to resolve power drain issues.

I'm not going to rehash the whole topic, but a few days ago, in this thread I posted some files that activated the GPS on the Blackjack II for use via regular COM port access.

I'm pleased to say that the same process has now been carried out and tested on the Motorola Q9H (AT&T) :D Check out the topic linked above for the background, or read on to get started!

The activator is vailable as either a 'over the air install' or a PC based install or an on-device CAB install (choose one or the other to suit), the activator provides the all important missing COM port for GPS access. After installing (and rebooting), you'll find you have a new COM5 port, and you can use any GPS application you like to your hearts content.

Enjoy people, and spread the word to fellow Q9H owners!

P

PS As a little bonus, this package also application unlocks your device, letting you do things like reorder the Start Menu how you like, etc!

PPS Don't forget our Q device discussion area, online now at http://Q.MoDaCo.com!

Over the Air Install: Enter 'http://modaco.com/gpsactivatorq9h' in your device browser!

On device Install (registered members): MoDaCo.SmartphoneGPSActivator.COM5.CAB

On PC Install (registered members): Setup.MoDaCo.SmartphoneGPSActivator.COM5.EXE

On device Install (mirror): http://Content.MoDaCo.net/MoDaCo.Smartphon...ivator.COM5.CAB

On PC Install (mirror): http://Content.MoDaCo.net/Setup.MoDaCo.Sma...ivator.COM5.EXE

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dogbreath
Attached is a COM3 version of the activator (as a CAB), which should solve the problems with power drain.

Let me know! ;)

P

This works great on my HTC Touch Pro - much better than the Com5 version did!!

Guest Q9hGlobalGarminXT

Let me know! ;)

P

Like everybody here I have been following this particular topic; after installing Garmin Mobile XT on my Q9h Global I realized I was missing the internal GPS and only the bluetooth option was proposed by Garmin XT. So first I tried the MoDaCo.SmartphoneGPSActivator.COM5 and it worked great but as expected the battery life was severely reduced so I have now installed the COM3 version and it works like a charm with Garmin Mobile XT, battery life is back to normal, THANKS!!!

My Q is a q9h global unlocked with WM6.1 and generic software, no AT&T loaded, I got it when I was working at Moto in Libertyville.

Too bad :D the US 3G (1900mhz) doesn't work here in Europe where 3G is on 2100Mhz!

:wacko: Anyway thanks a lot Paul for your great help here! :(

Edited by Q9hGlobalGarminXT

Guest msthilaire

I have the moto a9h (AT&T) and WM 6.1, and the .exe version won't work from your desktop.

I was able to get it to work by transferring the CAB to my mobile device to install it.

Now, if I can only get Google Maps or WLS to actually detect a GPS i'll be happy...

Edited by msthilaire

Guest msthilaire
I have the moto a9h (AT&T) and WM 6.1, and the .exe version won't work from your desktop.

I was able to get it to work by transferring the CAB to my mobile device to install it.

Now, if I can only get Google Maps or WLS to actually detect a GPS i'll be happy...

UPDATE: I installed gpstest so I can see whether or not GPS was even finding a sattellite. This is a GREAT program, you can see on your screen whether the GPS is finding satellites or not. If not, don't bother trying to get WLS or GM to connect to gps. Inside my office I wasn't able to get any GPS lock on, but once i stepped outside, or was in my car it worked perfectly. I tried it inside my house as well, and no dice. I would say you pretty much have to be outside, in a car or very near a window for the GPS to work.

I also did some testing with and without gpstest running, trying to get WLS to lock into a gps. I honestly didn't notice a big difference, perhaps it was a bit faster with GPStest running. I'll try it without gpstest for a week or so and see if it's required. Certainly if you can't connect to a gps sat, gpstest a good sanity check because you can see clear as day whether or not your mobile sees any sattelites.

As a side note, Google Maps ( the latest version ) now works WITHOUT gps to track my location on my Moto Q9h. It's not quite as accurate, but it's pretty damn close. This must be pretty recent because I tested this about a month ago and wasn't able to get it to work.

Using the COM3 CAB and with gps test both WLS running, my battery went from full to dead in about 6-8 hours, and thats with the extra big and heavy battery. I'll do some more testing here with gps test off and/or WLS off see if that helps. I suspect it will.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest darryle
I have been following the COM3 download threads and have (I think) successfully downloaded it...I still cannot get my GPS to work through Google Maps...in fact I keep getting "fatal error" messages when I try to click on "where am I?". Am I doing something wrong? I thought if I downloaded the COM3 CAB then I could use gmaps with ease...

Any help is appreciated.

;) Worked Perfectly for my Motorola Q9H. I'm new to this, but not to the windows environment. Hope to contribute soon!

Guest mwright

I am getting confused here ;)

I have an AT&T Q9H that I was sent for the Insights Panel.

I have followed this thread as best I can and attempted to enable the GPS on it (assuming from the posts here that it has one!)

But GPSTEST just says "looking for GPS hardware" when I try it (using COM3 - 4800 baud)

Could someone tell me exactly what I should be doing and I can hard reset the device and try again.

Cheers

Edited by mwright

• 4 weeks later...
Guest nickcornaglia

The Verizon Q9m does not have GPS built into it...they are two different versions of the phone. No GPS hack will ever work on your phone...the hardware isnt there.

Q9m - where M stands for MUSIC.

Q9h - where H stands for "HELL OF ALOT BETTER THAN THE Q9M because it has GPS!!!!!!" :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest patounet527

Hi Friends all over the place!

I live in Luxembourg. I do have a moto q9h, european version, i.e. without built-in GPS. I got it as a present, along with the Bluetooth Motorola T805 / T815 gps receiver.

This T805 / T815 came along with MOTONAV, which was working in a more or less decent way. Since I recently more often ran into trouble with wrong informations delivered by MOTONAV while I was driving (told me I was crossing buildings and on no street and so on and got confused in some areas.), I wanted to change. I checked it out and found that Garmin Mobile XT should run on it. When I install it though, the programm is able to find out my Bluetooth GPS, displays it as being connected in the regular 'Bluetooth Settings', the GPS shows up in the Garmin GPS parameters, but Garmin never seems to receive any data what so ever from the GPS, except the proof of its own existence...

I tried the different Tools mentioned here (except maybe GPSTEST, which I could not find), nothing seems to solve the issue. When I put back the former micro-SD, MOTONAV works just fine. The trouble is, it delivers no extensive information about how it gets maps information from this GPS Receiver T805 / T815. So I ended up with removing MOTONAV and trying to make-do around with the Garmin, to no avail.

Is there an easy way, for instance with a tool or by digging into the Registry, to find out how my MOTONAV manages to communicate with the GPS Receiver, and then to apply the same procedure to the communication between Garmin Mobile XT and the GPS Receiver?

Anybody with any suggestion? YOu're most welcome...

Edited by patounet527

• 1 month later...
Guest sophielovebeach

Thank you for the great job, Paul.

I download your file and set the port to COM3. Then GPStest got the signal!

Google Map is impatient to get the fix. So use GPStest to get a 3D fix and 'Gps running' then use Google Map, it works!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.