Dual SHOCK - is this the best Windows Mobile device ever?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest mattie01

has anyone tried increasing the size of the paging file yet? this is something we did on the hermes hier was 4mb and 6mb versions avalible, the downside to the larger paging file was the use of extra ramso it was quicker but used more space, as we have a device running 256mb rather then 128mb, i was wondering if anyone had tweaked the paging file yet?

also has anyone seen a decent car holder for this phone yet?

Guest shodanjr_gr

I REAAAAAALLY wish this one had WiFi...not all countries have affordable flat-data tarrifs so the Touch Dual is a no go for me. Too bad, considering i LOVED the design (basically the first PPC phone that has a keypad and looks half-normal and not something out of an 80s scifi film). Wasted oportunity if you ask me...Lack of GPS is also a disadvantage, but not nearly as much as the lack of Wireless (which also comes in usefull when you are roaming).

Guest mattie01
i used to run a app created by schaps called advance config, but the late version i tried would turn the touch dual to "gsm/gprs" but would not turn it back to 3g...

it works fine on the varioII and on the kasier, so i'm sure it just changes a couple of reg keys, and someone could prob do a cab just to do this. if i find a working one i'll post up here...

ok i found version 1.0 of the advance config and it does seem to work on the touch dual. its switches from 3g to gsm fine, but it seems to take a few seconds once you switch back it goes to connects at gsm then takes a couple of seconds to move to 3g/hsdpa speed. it allows you to configure alot of other things aswell as what you can select from the com manager,

Yeah, i'm using an 8GB SanDisk microSDHC in mine.

P

thanks and cool - still looking for an i600 replacement - will give one of these a go - been nearly a year on the i600, time to go back to win mo professional!

thanks and cool - still looking for an i600 replacement - will give one of these a go - been nearly a year on the i600, time to go back to win mo professional!

Have you seen the up and coming i780 though? Looks wicked!

Guest OzzMosiz
I REAAAAAALLY wish this one had WiFi...not all countries have affordable flat-data tarrifs so the Touch Dual is a no go for me. Too bad, considering i LOVED the design (basically the first PPC phone that has a keypad and looks half-normal and not something out of an 80s scifi film). Wasted oportunity if you ask me...Lack of GPS is also a disadvantage, but not nearly as much as the lack of Wireless (which also comes in usefull when you are roaming).

I'll agree with that! No Wifi and no GPS makes it almost useless to me (ok useless may be an exaggeration).

ok so i have my 20 key touch dual. so far:

1) With screen protector touch flow is much worse than witout - I am not sure if this is because the suppplied protector isnt very good or if i am just not being foreceful enough but works way better without one.

2) I am really missing my 'return/back' key from my smartphone - is there an equivalent, or a shortcut that always presses the 'ok' key. I am mainly having this when I view a new email and then want to return to inbox (which is how I have my settings) on smartphone I owudl just hit the back button - can I do this somehow on PPC?

All this is about me relearning PPC rather than SP so I'll get there, anone else who has made the switch and has tips - all advice appreciated!! (sorry a bit off topic so redirect me somewhere more relevant!)

So far though very impressed with the touch, the keypad, touchflow and the HTC homescreen!

Guest Paul (MVP)

1) Probably the protector, which isn't a HTC item.

2) Unfortunately not, I would like that too. I might map a long press of red to the OK button if I can...

P

Guest pbarclay
ok so i have my 20 key touch dual. so far:

1) With screen protector touch flow is much worse than witout - I am not sure if this is because the suppplied protector isnt very good or if i am just not being foreceful enough but works way better without one.

2) I am really missing my 'return/back' key from my smartphone - is there an equivalent, or a shortcut that always presses the 'ok' key. I am mainly having this when I view a new email and then want to return to inbox (which is how I have my settings) on smartphone I owudl just hit the back button - can I do this somehow on PPC?

All this is about me relearning PPC rather than SP so I'll get there, anone else who has made the switch and has tips - all advice appreciated!! (sorry a bit off topic so redirect me somewhere more relevant!)

So far though very impressed with the touch, the keypad, touchflow and the HTC homescreen!

My 20 key Touch Dual arrived today from Handtec but without a screen protector

- can anyone recommend a particular brand that works well with the TouchFlow screen?

I would like to wear my Touch Dual on a case that includes a good belt clip: I work in Theatre Scrubs and would not feel happy just carrying it in my t-shirt front pocket. I need a lightweight case that will not fall off my trousers!

thanks paul, mapping a key to 'ok' would be great.

[ Off topic ] Also (noticed due to a 3am finish and 6am start) I see that alarms don't work if you have the silent profile selected in PPC. I think I need to use http://www.modaco.com/content/Daily/206371...und-Categories/ to tweak it? However is the Alarm Clock alarm linked to calendar notifications? basically my device is connected to exchange so I get notifications of email and appointments all through the night, the only thing I want to interrupt my slumber is the alarm clock alarm. Is it best to tweak the registry or is there a good third party app for this? [end of off topic]

back onto the 20 key touch and i am missing my full qwerty at the moment but trying to persevere with it - will force myself to use it for a week or so and then see how I feel. so far for me personally (and my usage is a LOT of email messaging and talking):

Touch Dual as best PPC (sorry windows mobile professional device) ever (and this includes various in various versions which didn't last long with me)

Samsung SGH-i600 best WM Standard (Smartphone) ever (competing against HTC S series including Excalibur and S730)

Winner of best WM device ever.............jury is out, need to keep using the touch dual for a couple of weeks but it isn't an instant winner for me.......not an instant looser either though......

Guest Paul (MVP)

Why not set (as I do) Exchange to just deliver off peak? You could then have delivery stop at, say, midnight... and recommence when your alarm is set. I have my push suspended between midnight and 7am for example. A good battery saver too :(

I'm still enjoying my Touch 20, occasionally long for the GPS / WiFi of the Kaiser tho :D

P

Guest Monolithix

It really annoys me that PPC alarms don't go off in silent profile, and theres no option to over ride it, whereas you can in Smartphone.

As for best WM device ever....wow thats a big kettle of fish you've opened :( I'd agree with the Touch Dual being up there, and I wouldn't dismiss the Excalibur so quickly. It was a fantastic device!

Guest afhstingray
The 'action key' (ie pressing the dpad) starts a new line.

P

well that works in messaging, but try doing that when you're trying to write a note or in word. it dosent work. i wonder if there is any way to fix this as i can type much faster using a t9 keypad...

thanks for the help though

Why not set (as I do) Exchange to just deliver off peak? You could then have delivery stop at, say, midnight... and recommence when your alarm is set. I have my push suspended between midnight and 7am for example. A good battery saver too :(

I'm still enjoying my Touch 20, occasionally long for the GPS / WiFi of the Kaiser tho :D

P

Good idea - unfortuantly I still need to get them as otherwise the thing plays catch up on the ridiclous number of overnight email. (300 or so to weed through in the mornings whilst i am sat in traffic! (not me driving btw))

What a pain the alarm can't be set on silent - weird 'feature'

Edited by neilg

Guest chazdent
Secondly, mine suffers from the little glitch/stutter every few minutes when listening to music which my Kaiser does too, which ruins it for me as a music player

Any update on this bug? Is it reproduceable, have many people noticed it? Only this could be a deal breaker for me, if I can't listen to music/watch video on it then it's of fairly minimal use to me. Maybe it's just an Orange bug, does it happen on both that and the HTC ROMs?

Thanks,

Charlie

Hmm, I'm waiting until the new year to get my (20 Key) Dual so I hope that not too many of these little oddities come to light between now and then or I might have to have a rethink?....

Hmmm im still unsure on whether to get one of these again or not

I had the 16key but returnd it wanting the 20key....unsure now on whether to get another or not :(

love the kaiser but liked the hardware keypad of the dual.

still hopeing Wifi and gps can be enabled on this thing.......

i have a touch dual from orange, so its the one with the t9 keypad, other than the fact when i press the number 2 key "c" shows up instead of "a", i also have not discovered how to press "enter" as in you know....skip a line..... am i missing something or is it just handicapped?

i really wish the texting experience could be like on a Smartphone device, i absolutely loved texting on my c500

please if anyone has a solution to the lack of "enter" functionality do post.

Are you saying that trying to write "car" you would end up with "ccr" ??

Surely not!

Guest Disco Stu

No, it's not that bad.

It is when you just want to write 'a' on its own that you get 'c' as the first option.

In theory xT9 should learn your preference but it's not doing so fast enough for my liking. I need to be more watchful when texting so that I don't allow the 'c' to be accepted but I tend to be watching the keys rather than the screen.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.