Dual SHOCK - is this the best Windows Mobile device ever?

Guest PaulOBrien

Strangely, the c and a thing is my biggest complaint about the device, lol!

P

Very tempted by a 12-key Touch Dual, but I love the look of the Samsung i780 (I currently own an i600, which replaced a Sony Ericsson P1i, a cumbersome device). Different in nature, but a difficult choice!

Guest Disco Stu
Strangely, the c and a thing is my biggest complaint about the device, lol!

P

It's my only real complaint and I'd love to hear that someone has eventually taught xT9 to select 'a' as the first option !

Guest Disco Stu

On the other hand the thing I love the Touch Dual the most for is the (almost) redundancy of the stylus.

I can't be too critical of xT9 since I'm always sliding out the stylus before realising that I don't actually need it. :(

Some day soon I'll learn !

Maybe this is a common experience since WM5 & 6 were released but it was annoying back in the days of WM03SE and the main reason why I abandoned my Magician for Smartphones.

Guest greenturtle

Todays the day of the Touch Dual! Pity I'm out from 12! bugger.

You all would have laughed at how unbelievably fast the doorbell was answered by me this morning when it rang at 10 o'clock. The postman was standing there with a tiny small package containing my 8gb Micro SD!

Bah! Well at least I know I will have the Ultimate Duo on the same day even if I'm not here to obtain it! :(

Call me sad but I don't think I have ever been this excited about a phone...

Guest greenturtle

Hehe. I'll try but eagerly waiting isn't that enjoyable!

Paul did you get your 8gb Micro from Mobymemory? Have you tried that black and red Sandisk card reader that comes with it? I just used it to transfer 5gb worth of files to my Card (which by the way was unbelievable quick compared to my 4gb mini sd) and it got stuck in the slot!

It took me about 5 minutes to remove the card from it and I ended up using a pointy object to edge it out! Is that just my reader or are they just a bit stiff?

Guest greenturtle

:( Bah that always happens! Oh well I only payed a couple of quid more....

I'm off out now. No Touch Dual so far but it will blatantly whiz past me on the way out. :D

Guest Paul (MVP)

I've had that happen on more than one occasion :D

On the flipside, i've also pulled home just when the dude is on the doorstep and about to take thee goods away again :(

P

Guest Disco Stu
:( Bah that always happens! Oh well I only payed a couple of quid more....

I'm off out now. No Touch Dual so far but it will blatantly whiz past me on the way out. :D

Christmas is going to be a bit of a comedown after all this excitement,mate :D

Guest StGeorge

This thread has got me in a real dilemma! I had a M3100 on Orange which was okay but I never really got on with the form factor; having to turn the device and slide out the keyboard in order to text/ email was a pain. About 6 months ago I bought a Palm Treo 750v on ebay which I absolutely love, the combination of the Palm extensions and the form factor make it so easy to use - just let down by the battery life!

So, given my main uses are email, calls (unusual I know), and for running TomTom what would be the downsides in upgrading?

• How are you folks finding the battery life after a few charges?
  • How good do you find the text entry for writing emails?

I dont have wireless at the moment so wouldnt miss it, I have an external GPS receiver so that is not a problem. Orange have offered me a free upgrade so that is not a problem, would only cost me the price of a new Brodit car holder and the pain of getting Orange to renew my unlimited data deal! So, what do you reckon - given the 20 key isnt coming to the UK, should I bite the bullet? I guess if I didnt like it I could always sell it on ebay!!

Cheers

Ed

Guest mattie01
This thread has got me in a real dilemma! I had a M3100 on Orange which was okay but I never really got on with the form factor; having to turn the device and slide out the keyboard in order to text/ email was a pain. About 6 months ago I bought a Palm Treo 750v on ebay which I absolutely love, the combination of the Palm extensions and the form factor make it so easy to use - just let down by the battery life!

So, given my main uses are email, calls (unusual I know), and for running TomTom what would be the downsides in upgrading?

• How are you folks finding the battery life after a few charges?
  • How good do you find the text entry for writing emails?

I dont have wireless at the moment so wouldnt miss it, I have an external GPS receiver so that is not a problem. Orange have offered me a free upgrade so that is not a problem, would only cost me the price of a new Brodit car holder and the pain of getting Orange to renew my unlimited data deal! So, what do you reckon - given the 20 key isnt coming to the UK, should I bite the bullet? I guess if I didnt like it I could always sell it on ebay!!

Cheers

Ed

my phone last a good couple of days, with push email running on "as it arrives." but i do have my phone running in gprs instead of hdspa, then only switch it to hsdpa when i wanna use the phone as a modem of surf from the phone..

says loads of battery power

The software keyboard - is that only a 12-key version on the 12-key phone, and 20-key on the 20-key phone, or can you use a 20-key software keyboard on the 12-key phone?

:(

Ta.

Guest StGeorge
my phone last a good couple of days, with push email running on "as it arrives." but i do have my phone running in gprs instead of hdspa, then only switch it to hsdpa when i wanna use the phone as a modem of surf from the phone..

says loads of battery power

I think I might have to give this a go. The treo is awesome but I do look a bit of a geek posting from the pub at the moment!

My only concern left is how do I sort my data out on orange, I have been on try 3g for 16 months (was part of my retention deal) effectively meaning I have been on free data for a year!!

Very tempted by a 12-key Touch Dual, but I love the look of the Samsung i780 (I currently own an i600, which replaced a Sony Ericsson P1i, a cumbersome device). Different in nature, but a difficult choice!

Isnt this phone called blackjax II in the us?

As i am thinking of getting this phone also.

Isnt this phone called blackjax II in the us?

As i am thinking of getting this phone also.

Doesn't the Blackjack II have a scrolling wheel type thing, whereas the i780 has a touch pad type thing?

Actually this is totally off topic!

yup BJII is a Smartphone or WM standard edition, believe the i780 is PPC/WM Professional.

Back onto the touch dual - has anyone had trouble with the taskbar (start button, gprs indicater etc) disappearing? Mine keeps disappearing (not quite sure what is causing it. Going into touchflo and then back again brings it back but it is a bit of a pain. Also I keep loosing my Bluetooth connection to my Jawbone headset - anyone else had a BT issue?

Otherwise I am liking this phone so far.....still missing qwerty though......

Guest afhstingray

does anyone else find the notification LED to be behaving funny? i always set my "flash for" time to no limit, so if i dint hear a text message come in i'll notice i got one by the flashing amber light, however i find sometimes after reading the message, the light continues to flash :S

the t9 prediction is a bit funny too...

other than that i really like this phone, almost perfect!! if this phone is already this good, i cant wait to see its replacement!!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.