Cell + WiFi positioning from Navizon, plus make money on the move!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest tsutton
Vario 1 - Runs well, EVEN WITH NO SIM, clocking up points from the conservatory :)

You earn more points from picking mobile cells than WiFi, so just put in a SIM card anyway. :D

Guest squilla

Please does anyone have a link to hand of the most recent .NET 2 framework so I can get this on my battered old XDA Exec WM5? Ive looked all over microsoft and tried installing different ones to no avail. It does have NET 2 on it but maybe not the right one.

Guest zippyioa
Please does anyone have a link to hand of the most recent .NET 2 framework so I can get this on my battered old XDA Exec WM5? Ive looked all over microsoft and tried installing different ones to no avail. It does have NET 2 on it but maybe not the right one.

I may be wrong, but is this it?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Cheers

Zippyioa

Guest rikwebb
You earn more points from picking mobile cells than WiFi, so just put in a SIM card anyway. :)

It picks up cells !

in fact it picks up more cells than a device with a sim

Puzzled but happy!

Rik

It picks up cells !

Puzzled but happy!

Rik

Humm interesting are these cells being recorded and also dont you need a constant GPRS connection ?

Or are you using a wifi link in your house?

If you need a gprs connection your no sim route kinda falls down when you leave the conservatory :)

Guest Jake Bullit

Anyone had any joy setting up with a PDA using WM2003,everytime I satrt up the programme it just shuts down.I have wifi enabled and my BT GPS connected.I can get into the programme to set up GPS ect. but when I try to use it ,it shuts down.

Guest rikwebb
Humm interesting are these cells being recorded and also dont you need a constant GPRS connection ?

Or are you using a wifi link in your house?

If you need a gprs connection your no sim route kinda falls down when you leave the conservatory :D

Using WiFi at mo, but there is an option to only upload once a day.

So suppose the plan would be to take it out, bring it back and attach to wi-fi and upload.

Another option would be to make use of the 3G / GPRS connection of another device by using dial up connection.

by the way - its clocking up quite a lot in there

Rik :)

Guest Paul (MVP)
It picks up cells !

Puzzled but happy!

Rik

:)

That makes perfect sense!

Your device still gets cells for 999 purposes. /smacks head

:D

P

Guest rikwebb
:)

That makes perfect sense!

Your device still gets cells for 999 purposes. /smacks head

:D

P

Wonder if it picks up more cells because its not locked on a network??

R

Wonder if it picks up more cells because its not locked on a network??

R

I'm in Berlin at the moment and have been comparing results from UK and here and from what I can see, it doesn't matter what SIM or network you're on or whether you're roaming or on a home network, it just logs ALL VISIBLE CELLS regardless of your own network.

Maybe someone knows for sure but I reckon the fact that with no SIM it still logs cells must be proof of this, no? :-)

UPDATE - I'm home again now and I've double checked on the Navizon map and I'm afraid I was mistaken :D It seems that I've only been logging T-Mobile cells whilst in Berlin and UK! (My SIM is a German T_Mobile one).

Now I'll test the "no SIM" theory and also test with my UK 3 and UK O2 SIMs - will report back with results soon :)

Edited by bribar

I have a question. For those who have traveled outside their home area, do you have to change your home area to get points when you travel? Or does that only apply to the map that you see online, and the cells/APs will still be logged and the points will count??? My boyfriend is travelling tonight, and I want him to log points abroad.

thanks

katie

Guest cdwilkinson
I have a question. For those who have traveled outside their home area, do you have to change your home area to get points when you travel? Or does that only apply to the map that you see online, and the cells/APs will still be logged and the points will count??? My boyfriend is travelling tonight, and I want him to log points abroad.

thanks

katie

The area doesnt matter, this is just used for the zoom view on the google map. You will still receive your points

Guest demusss
If you read the blog there is instructions on getting multiple smart phones to work together with one GPS. The cell mapping only works with one provider at once (unless you are roaming then it picks the nearest cell).

Smart phones are better at picking up cell towers than phone PDA's, apparently.

I've managed to link my old c500 to my vario ii, so now I'm finding TMobile and Vodaphone cells at the same time. I used a program call GPSGate but the demo only runs for 14 days.

Peter says there's a method somewhere in the Blogs, where? I can't find anything.

Suggestions anyone

Thanks

Anthony

Guest bigdish

Paul

Thanks for the MoDaCo Ad Free subscription !

Interesting to note - my journey this afternoon was similar to yesterday but I still picked up 305 AP's and 31 cells of which 90% counted as rewards

I am guessing that you can map the same point more than once providing you are in a slightly different position.

Not complaining :)

r

Andrew

Guest Dangelica

A quick question since all has failed.

Are there anyother BJII owners successfully running this.

I realize I'm new to all of this but I have successfully edited reg

and many other things but this just doesn't want to work no matter what I've tried.

A quick question since all has failed.

Are there anyother BJII owners successfully running this.

I realize I'm new to all of this but I have successfully edited reg

and many other things but this just doesn't want to work no matter what I've tried.

I have put Navizon on my TyTN2 but not sure if I have set up correctly. I have had the program running all day, when I got home I pressed Sync button, looked on their web site and it said no points.

On options/GPS it says No GPS9Navizon Virtual GPS) should this be a om port?

On the main screen:

Phone light always green, Wifi light changes from amber to green every so often GPS light shadowed out.

Location Updated: N/A

Tracker Status: Diabled

At bottom says No positioning info.

Any help for a newbie as to what I am doing wrong........

Guest zippyioa

I have put Navizon on my TyTN2 but not sure if I have set up correctly. I have had the program running all day, when I got home I pressed Sync button, looked on their web site and it said no points.

On the main screen:

Phone light always green, Wifi light changes from amber to green every so often GPS light shadowed out.

I presume that your phone had picked up APS and Cells in the first place (you should have seen a count next to AP and Cells located before you synced!?

If your phone found them then the settings may be to blame. On my MDA Vario III I have the following on the GPS tab:

GPS: COM4: (ActiveDevice)

Baud Rate: 115200

Auto start is ticked

Output port: Off

Use Physical output port is ticked.

On the Account tab you should enter the account name and password you registered with - without those nothing syncs.

Other than that you should be ok. When I first registered on Friday last week I had an issue of no points showing even after synching (see a few pages back in this thread!)

It can take a while for them to update the points showing on your account. Be patient (mine took around 4 hours to appear at first).

If you are still having an issue in a few hours get back to us

Cheers

Zippyioa

On the main screen:

I presume that your phone had picked up APS and Cells in the first place (you should have seen a count next to AP and Cells located before you synced!?

If your phone found them then the settings may be to blame. On my MDA Vario III I have the following on the GPS tab:

GPS: COM4: (ActiveDevice)

Baud Rate: 115200

Auto start is ticked

Output port: Off

Use Physical output port is ticked.

On the Account tab you should enter the account name and password you registered with - without those nothing syncs.

Other than that you should be ok. When I first registered on Friday last week I had an issue of no points showing even after synching (see a few pages back in this thread!)

It can take a while for them to update the points showing on your account. Be patient (mine took around 4 hours to appear at first).

If you are still having an issue in a few hours get back to us

Cheers

Zippyioa

You say you should see a count next to Ap and cells before you sync, on what screen should this be? did not see one. Have changed the sellings to the same as yours. When i did do a sync it said Sucsessfull.

Guest zippyioa
You say you should see a count next to Ap and cells before you sync, on what screen should this be? did not see one. Have changed the sellings to the same as yours. When i did do a sync it said Sucsessfull.

When you run the Navizon software you should see the three green circles for Phone, Wifi and GPS

When your phone is finding Access Points and Cell Towers successfully you should see a counter on that screen.

It will start with 0 APs and 0 Cells located showing.When it finds a site (either AP or Cell) those numbers will increase e.g. if it found 3 Access Points and 1 Cell Tower you would see 3 APs and 1 Cell located.

Once those numbers show on the counter your phone is seeing sites and only then will your sync add points to your account!

Cheers

Zippyioa

If you mean that you are not shown on the map of the UK that shows peoples last location, I had trouble finding that too...

You can enable it as follows Menu>Go To Map>Menu>Buddies>Send Location (if it is already ticked your location should already be sent to the Navizon site!)

I hope that helps.

Zippyioa

Zippyioa,

Sorry for the late reply but - Yes, thanks a lot, that did the trick! They hid that feature well didn't they? :)

B

Guest zippyioa
Zippyioa,

Sorry for the late reply but - Yes, thanks a lot, that did the trick! They hid that feature well didn't they? :)

B

Hi Bribar,

Yes they did hide it well - not well enough to stop me though :D

What name did you use when you registered with Navizon - I will check you appear on the maps.

Zippyioa

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.