Cell + WiFi positioning from Navizon, plus make money on the move!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest nycnerd

I have searched the coverage in Manhattan. It shows around 350K access points. Wow thats huge.

Today i took Manhattan bus for 20 streets and then walked back. Bus is Manhattan is as fast as a walk :(

I have logged around 3000 APs and 70 Cell towers. At 89th position now.... Nice competition.

Guest bribar

After reading all this I'm sold! It was enough to inspire me to make my first post on modaco after being a silent member for over 3 years!

Haven't used it for a few months now but I'll get my old imate SP5 out of retirement and get the software loaded onto it ASAP.

Used your referral link Paul and joined the modaco group on Navizon so here we go... :(

Guest JamminJP

whats the score with points already found?

I just clocked up 1100 points on the way to work and a quick drive last night :(

do I get that everyday!

Oh and I joined on your referal Paul :D

Guest tsutton

If the AP and cell has been found and repeated, it won't be counted. Points can be awarded for NEWLY found AP or cell. So if you want to earn more points, take a different route to drive. :(

Guest Paul (MVP)

That's not quite right tsutton - you can earn points for any AP or cell YOU haven't discovered before, doesn't matter whether anyone else has or not.

So, if you do the same drive to work every day, you probably won't earn much... you need to go different routes :(

P

Guest JamminJP

arh bugger lol

oh well there are a few different ways I can go, will go home down the motorway tonight and I can take another few back roads :(

Guest Kallisti

How are people linking to their bluetooth GPS? Using a fixed serial port? It's a bit crap at latching onto my GPS sometimes.

For what it's worth - in the outer suburbs, driving around the local area I've picked up 1250 points or so over a few days. I think I'd need a significant trip out to rack up enough points to actually get paid. Wonder how long they'll continue that pricing structure. Seems pretty generous for those of you in London/NY etc, especially as the big "money" is for cell towers, which rarely change, or at least if they do they could probably get a better source of information for them!

Guest tsutton
That's not quite right tsutton - you can earn points for any AP or cell YOU haven't discovered before, doesn't matter whether anyone else has or not.

So even if someone else already found it, I marked the same AP or cell as someone else did, I earn a point anyway?

If so, nice!

Thanks

Guest ashley
I have an old smartphone and external GPS... I wonder if I can wire them up so I can set it up and leave it in my car, tracking all the time. Hmmm! :(

Just signed up using your referral (envious!)

Is it easy to get your PDA to feed its bluetooth sourced GPS to two or three programmes

Guest chucky.egg

So, if you do the same drive to work every day, you probably won't earn much... you need to go different routes :(

P

Or use different SIM cards - that way you pick up the other network base stations too

I've got a Manx SIM at work, wonder whether that will pick up more...

Guest chucky.egg

Anyone else surprised at just how many "unsecured" APs there are around?

The sheer number of APs surprised me, but everywhere you look there are unsecured ones. It's illegal to use somebody else's connection in the UK (BBC News), but looking at the maps I figure I could get pretty good coverage, in places I regularly visit, from piggybacking.

Guest Paul (MVP)

I am AMAZED how many open APs there are!

btw...

For anyone who has logged points and referred me, PM me your MoDaCo Username for a small token of my appreciation (a free AdFree sub) :(

P

Guest NuShrike

I'm sad I didn't find out about this until after my trip through Japan. Would've been nice to map the AP points there considering there's so few.

Oh well, picked up something like 27xx points on the car commute home. I'll see how the next train commute will pick up. How do I find out my overall placing? This is almost like stats addiction from Distributed.net or Seti.

Guest deadphill

how do you enable wifi to be able to look for and get points for ap's? I have enabled wifi on my kaiser and have had no joy, as the phone and gps green lights come up but the wifi does not.

Thanks

Phill

Guest NuShrike
The stats page also shows your current position no?
Now it does. I must have to wait for nightly stats crunching.

deadphill: yes. all visible APs.

Since you get 15 days trial with full features, you can save trails and supposedly do WiFi positioning tests also.

Edited by NuShrike

Guest chucky.egg

I was thinking of using this data to map mobile mast locations, but only today I realised (doh) that the positions shown in this aren't the actual masts, they must be where your device swapped to that cell.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.