Finally... the Microsoft utility for configuring GPSID on Smartphone

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Chris Gutz

BLACKJACK II finally working:

I posted before saying I couldn't get the GPS to work with Google Maps or TeleNav (paid subscription). I finally got everything working by doing a hard reset (format) and NOT installing GPSID or the Active GPS. All I did was hard reset, install Google Maps, using the default GPS Setting (Not specifying a com port and couldn't anyway since I did not install GPSID) and it worked beautifully.

To answer an earlier post....I think there re two differnt GPSTest programs.

One is freeware available on Smartphone.net

One is in the Windows folder of the BJ2.

They may be the same apps, but I didnt have the BJ2 long enough t find it there.

What I can say is that neither (or the same app) does anything other than what the name says...TEST GPS.

It connects, finds satellites, and shows some basic GPS information. nothing else, unless thats all you need.

The one benefit of the app is that it continually tries to connect to GPS without timing out. Handy for cold booting the GPS service on te phone. Personally, I use CamerAware for that as it does the same thing for me.

One cool thing about GPS Test is the color schemes. I like te bright green on back like old monochrome monitors. Which I could make the whole phone that was as a novelty.

They are different programs. The BJII GPS Test is more flexible since it works with COM ports and the intermediate driver. The freeware program from Chartcross seems older (but as you said looks cool) and will only work if you have your GPS hardware adjusted on the the Windows Mobile level (via discussed hacks or GPSID settings) and set to work on a COM port.

Edited by sb0611

Guest airboss
gpsidsp.png
Well well... i've been bleating on for *ever* about how hard done by Smartphone users are compared to their Pocket PC counterparts with no UI in the OS to configure the GPS Intermediary Driver (GPSID), and what happens? One springs up!

It turns out that a GPSID configuration utility that exactly mirrors the Pocket PC version is nestling away in the 'Tools' directory of the Windows Mobile 6 Standard SDK Refresh! If you're a BlackJack II owner, a Motorola Q9H owner or basically anyone wanting to configure GPS on a Smartphone, then you NEED this utility!

I don't think it's really fair to make you download a >200MB SDK install just to get hold of it, so (because i'm nice like that) i've packaged the application up into a lovely CAB file, which is attached below.

Enjoy, and Microsoft - better late than never eh? :(

P

Microsoft_Smartphone_GPSID_Settings.cab

Just to be sure, if I use this program that is already on the BJ2, I do not need to install the MoDaCo hack?

Just to be sure, if I use this program that is already on the BJ2, I do not need to install the MoDaCo hack?

No you don't need the hack if you have the BJII GPSTest program (which is on your BJII in the \windows folder) and GPSID Settings program on your phone.

You can control most of the GPS settings with these (at least as far as getting Google Maps and WLS to run) and should connect faster from a cold start.

Aslo, it could be that AT&T locked something in regard to the GPS functionality so I am not sure if it is necessary to completely application unlock your phone. I did it for other reasons (e.g. ICS) anyway and never really had GPS connection problems.

Edited by sb0611

Guest tsutton

Installed it and tried to load it up, but it crashed. :)

SVP C500 running Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition.

When I load it up, I get this:

"An unexcepted error has occured in Settings.exe. Select Quit and then restart this program or select Details for more information"

Clicked on Details, it says "Could not load type Microsoft.WindowsMobile.U from assembly"

Did a soft reset, no difference.

Anyone got any ideas?

Sorry, I'm a real newbie at all this. I get real excited when I get the mobile device page on ActiveSync to show that it rec'd something from my PC. It almost seems like you guys are talking a different language.

I just got my BJII 2 days ago and am just learning some things. I've got regedit installed and Google Maps but the three separate files from Paul's GPSID link are in My Documents and nothing else happens. Each time I click on any of the three, the phone says:

'alert - There is no application associated with "SMARTP~1". Run the application first and then open this file inside the application.'

This is Greek to me. what appl am I supposed to run and where do I find it?

Maybe I should just be asking for a tutorial thread and I can catch up on some of what you guys are saying.

Help!!!

Edited by er1300

Guest HuckFinn

This may be slightly off topic, but with this application is there anyway to copy this com port data to a bluetooth com port? I am wondering if there is anyway to use the integrated GPS on my Q9h on my laptop? I use Microsoft Streets and Trips when I travel for full navigation and it would be nice to not have to bring a separate GPS receiver along with me. Sometimes the areas that I am traveling do not have very good data coverage so WLS and GMM are useless plus I like the larger screen and features of the desktop applications.

This may be slightly off topic, but with this application is there anyway to copy this com port data to a bluetooth com port? I am wondering if there is anyway to use the integrated GPS on my Q9h on my laptop? I use Microsoft Streets and Trips when I travel for full navigation and it would be nice to not have to bring a separate GPS receiver along with me. Sometimes the areas that I am traveling do not have very good data coverage so WLS and GMM are useless plus I like the larger screen and features of the desktop applications.

Please someone can tell me how to configured my device to use this aplication. I have instaled google maps too. My device is a motorola q smartphone wit wm5.0

Guest HuckFinn
Please someone can tell me how to configured my device to use this aplication. I have instaled google maps too. My device is a motorola q smartphone wit wm5.0

Osilmi-

This program is only for smartphones with a built-in GPS receiver. It sounds like you have an original Q so this is not applicable to your phone.

Sorry, I'm a real newbie at all this. I get real excited when I get the mobile device page on ActiveSync to show that it rec'd something from my PC. It almost seems like you guys are talking a different language.

I just got my BJII 2 days ago and am just learning some things. I've got regedit installed and Google Maps but the three separate files from Paul's GPSID link are in My Documents and nothing else happens. Each time I click on any of the three, the phone says:

'alert - There is no application associated with "SMARTP~1". Run the application first and then open this file inside the application.'

This is Greek to me. what appl am I supposed to run and where do I find it?

Maybe I should just be asking for a tutorial thread and I can catch up on some of what you guys are saying.

Help!!!

Help! Paul!! Your link did not arrive in my PC or my BJII as a .cab file. It got split into its three components. My Documents on my BJII can't do anything with its components. I have downloaded and installed both the GMM and WLS .cab files w/o a problem and they seem to be working fine. I need help. I've been reading quite a bit so I understand better today than Saturday, but I still can't install your cab file. Sorry to drag u back to a primer on hacking but I haven't found a tutorial link yet.

Edited by er1300

Guest dante112

why is it that when i got my motoQ 9h with WM6, i could use GPS with google.. etc right out of the box with no teawks or hacks?

Edited by dante112

Guest Enviroatty

I posted this on one of the other forums as well. Has anyone gotten either TomTom 6 or Copilot 7 to load on a Moto Q9h (AT&T Q Global)? I've tried both, and neither will load -- Copilot doesn't get past the startup screen and TomTom doesn't even get that far. Support from both companies says that they don't support the Q9h. I'm not sure what this means, and I'm wondering whether AT&T, in its effort to force customers to use Telenav, has crippled things in some way. I've installed the GPSID controller, and have GPS Test, GPS Utilites, GMM and WLM working without any problems. Thanks for any help.

I posted this on one of the other forums as well. Has anyone gotten either TomTom 6 or Copilot 7 to load on a Moto Q9h (AT&T Q Global)? I've tried both, and neither will load -- Copilot doesn't get past the startup screen and TomTom doesn't even get that far. Support from both companies says that they don't support the Q9h. I'm not sure what this means, and I'm wondering whether AT&T, in its effort to force customers to use Telenav, has crippled things in some way. I've installed the GPSID controller, and have GPS Test, GPS Utilites, GMM and WLM working without any problems. Thanks for any help.

Did you completely application unlock your phone as well?

Guest Enviroatty

Possibly not. I used Tweak2K2 to do so, but I have a feeling that it's not thorough. I've seen some registry settings here, but don't know if they apply to the Q9h. Does anyone have the appropriate settings?

Possibly not. I used Tweak2K2 to do so, but I have a feeling that it's not thorough. I've seen some registry settings here, but don't know if they apply to the Q9h. Does anyone have the appropriate settings?

The file you can find here

http://www.modaco.com/content-page/263848/...ack-II/page/20/

at Post#38 has all app unlock tools I could think of. I assume they also work for the Q9h.

Guest art2d2tx
2 problems found installing this on an Orange SPV E650:

1) "failed to update gps driver" when changing the com settings

2) Does not uninstall.

I got the same message, however it worked well after I unchecked the box. I finally got LiveSearch to work with GPS. Before today only Google was working with the modaco app. Now both programs are working fine!

My settings are (as recommended by thelostsoul):

Program Port: COM4

Hardware Port: NONE

Baud rate: 38400

CHECK "Managed automatically"

Oh, man, what else can I do to this phone?? It's completely different now to the day I bought it! I love my BJII!

:)

Edited by art2d2tx

Guest lbgsteve

Moto Q9H ATT

OK, so I installed the latest cab file, and set up on COM 3. Installed GPS TEst. When it starts up, i get between 2 and 3 green bars but never a 4th, and so it says GPS connecting. Live and Google Maps just sit and spin as well. Any thoughts on what else I could do.

Guest nickcornaglia
Moto Q9H ATT

OK, so I installed the latest cab file, and set up on COM 3. Installed GPS TEst. When it starts up, i get between 2 and 3 green bars but never a 4th, and so it says GPS connecting. Live and Google Maps just sit and spin as well. Any thoughts on what else I could do.

GPS on the Q is not the best implementation on a device. It takes long to connect at times. First connection (Cold Boot) takes a few minutes. Make sure you are outside and have good visibility to the sky.

There are times I cant connect at all as well.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.