Finally... the Microsoft utility for configuring GPSID on Smartphone

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest patburk

can someone point the steps to find this new setting for a BJII?

I've downloaded, installed and rebooted....cant find this new setting. thanks!

gpsidsp.png
Well well... i've been bleating on for *ever* about how hard done by Smartphone users are compared to their Pocket PC counterparts with no UI in the OS to configure the GPS Intermediary Driver (GPSID), and what happens? One springs up!

It turns out that a GPSID configuration utility that exactly mirrors the Pocket PC version is nestling away in the 'Tools' directory of the Windows Mobile 6 Standard SDK Refresh! If you're a BlackJack II owner, a Motorola Q9H owner or basically anyone wanting to configure GPS on a Smartphone, then you NEED this utility!

I don't think it's really fair to make you download a >200MB SDK install just to get hold of it, so (because i'm nice like that) i've packaged the application up into a lovely CAB file, which is attached below.

Enjoy, and Microsoft - better late than never eh? :)

P

Microsoft_Smartphone_GPSID_Settings.cab

can someone point the steps to find this new setting for a BJII?

I've downloaded, installed and rebooted....cant find this new setting. thanks!

Guest rage151

Im using the q9m (VZW) and cannot get Google Maps to work. Have the latest maps, but it says it cannot connect. Downloaded the cab, installed it, and put the settings at:

Program Port: Com3

Hardware Port: None

Baud Rate: 9600

Checked "Manage Automatically"

Am I omitting steps, registry fixes, or programs?

Guest lbgsteve
GPS on the Q is not the best implementation on a device. It takes long to connect at times. First connection (Cold Boot) takes a few minutes. Make sure you are outside and have good visibility to the sky.

There are times I cant connect at all as well.

I think my problem was more one of having enough satellites in view. I was downtown DC this week, and with the tall buildings, just could nt get enough signal. As soon as I got to the beltway, I tried againg, and no prob on both Live and GM.

Guest nickcornaglia
I think my problem was more one of having enough satellites in view. I was downtown DC this week, and with the tall buildings, just could nt get enough signal. As soon as I got to the beltway, I tried againg, and no prob on both Live and GM.

More to do with you starting the GPS earlier I think. # of satellites may have something to do with it..but on cold boot....initial connection takes forever. More than ANY GPS I have ever had.

Guest nickcornaglia

That said....my GPS receiver right next to my phone....both cold boot...connects as fast as it's supposed to (between 30 seconds and 1 minute.)

Guest nickcornaglia

The only thing you ar doing wrong is using the wrong phone. The Q9m does not have GPS built in. :)

Im using the q9m (VZW) and cannot get Google Maps to work. Have the latest maps, but it says it cannot connect. Downloaded the cab, installed it, and put the settings at:

Program Port: Com3

Baud Rate: 9600

Am I omitting steps, registry fixes, or programs?

Thanks! This works flawlessly on my Q9h. I especially like the GPS icon reg hack posted. It lets me know if Google Maps is still trying to lock if the little box goes away, lol. And I don't miss the vibrate icon on my home screen, because the home screen I use shows which profile I am currently using.

Like many others, I "kick-start" my Q9h's GPS with either GPSTest or Google Maps before going to Windows Live for it's turn-by-turn directions. :)

Guest rage151

Thank you for the reply. In Settings, it has the option for 911 Only or Location On. Thought maybe Location On, coupled with the .cab file would enable GPS interactivity.

Thanks again!

The only thing you ar doing wrong is using the wrong phone. The Q9m does not have GPS built in. :)
Edited by rage151

Guest Monolithix

Hook it up to activesync via bluetooth or usb, click explore on AS on your PC, drop it onto your SD card, go to file explorer on your BJII and clicki it! :)

Guest Irishsweetie007
gpsidsp.png
Well well... i've been bleating on for *ever* about how hard done by Smartphone users are compared to their Pocket PC counterparts with no UI in the OS to configure the GPS Intermediary Driver (GPSID), and what happens? One springs up!

It turns out that a GPSID configuration utility that exactly mirrors the Pocket PC version is nestling away in the 'Tools' directory of the Windows Mobile 6 Standard SDK Refresh! If you're a BlackJack II owner, a Motorola Q9H owner or basically anyone wanting to configure GPS on a Smartphone, then you NEED this utility!

I don't think it's really fair to make you download a >200MB SDK install just to get hold of it, so (because i'm nice like that) i've packaged the application up into a lovely CAB file, which is attached below.

P

I tried to click the link to download the .cab on my BlackJack II but it said "the file cannot be viewed on the device". I don't understand why it won't work, because i downloaded the GPS Activator (to unlock the GPS)... is there another way for me to download this?.... I'm still having some trouble with my GPS... it works on googleMaps whenever it wants to , and Windows Live takes forever to find my loacation.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and all the work you've done on the BJII!!

Guest vish0402

Hi - I have the GPSID app installed on my Blackjack II and have it setup for COM4 with 19200 Baud. Google Maps tries searching for satellite but gives up. I also tried with TomTom 5.2 installed on the Blackjack. It can't find the GPS as well.

What do you recommend I do?

Update: Got GPSTest to kick in and now the Google Maps works very well! Still no joy for the TomTom 5.2 as it expects a Bluetooth Dongle GPS...any suggestions?

Edited by vish0402

how do I get this cab file onto my BlackJack?

I just got my BJII yesterday and was instantly disgusted by AT&T wanting another $10 a month to use the GPS in my phone. I was able to install and use google maps after I made a few key learnings.

I have only used the cab file in the first post of this thread and google maps automatically installed from thier website.

How to get Gmaps working:

1. put the cab in to your sync folder somewhere easy. I made a folder called "programs" and put the file in there.

2. sync the phone.

3. Install the file. You have to use the file browser to find and run it, you can not use the "my stuff" browser. Start > Applications > File Explorer. highlight the file and click it (center of the wheel) to install.

4. I resarted the phone, but it may not be nessesary.

5. Use Internet Explorer (came on the phone, to navigate to "google/m/products"

6. scroll down to maps(download)

7. allow it to install

8. run the GPS config utility (installed by the first cab) -Use the normal settings as described in this thread

Program Port: Com4

Baud Rate: 38400

9. run the google maps program now in the start menu

10 go to the GPS config in the gmaps options menu. I choose "set maually" and input the same GPS settings as the config utility. click OK.

11. select "Use GPS" from the Gmaps menu.

done!

you should see a little thing at the top that says "initializing GPS", moments later you'll see "GPS Active (X). X is the number of satilites you are recieving, I get 5 within 15 seconds.

Edited by Jesseb

Guest Lizardlaird

I must be retarded. I have spent 4 days trying to get this to work. I have the new BlackJack 2 with TeleNav. I am not paying the $10 for some lady to tell me "turn left now". Thats just ridiculous! Can someone please help me. I installed the Windows Live Search Map program. I put the .cab file on my sd card (on the phone). When I go to view my sd card on my device, it's empty. It tells me theres nothing there to display. But when I open my ActiveSynce its there. How do I click on it to install it??? *edit* I found the file by using the explorer. but when I click on the setup file Its just a bunch of writting, the cab file and the smartp~1 tells me theres no application asscciated with it. What do I do with these files???

Do I even need it since my phone is GPS capable? I did not unlock my phone, which I have heard talk of... do I need to do this?

Could someone make a "Configuring GPSID on Smartphone for idiots" please. Thanks

Edited by Lizardlaird

Guest Astro_Digital

CAB files are excutable files that should work by clicking buy opening them.

Have you tried installing other CAB files?

Me I installed a few dozen programs on my Q9h from CAB files.

I have a directory on my external card call CAB.

Browse the directory select the CAB I want and install.

Now if this does not work on the BJII I would try another CAB first.

If you can not install CABs then it would be a BJII problem.

I downloaded GPSID but I may not install it. I know the standard intermediate driver works with Google Maps so I figure why rock the boat. I then hear with this you have faster access but do I still lose on battery life?

The first post mentioned a SDK, does anybody have a link I can go to download the whole SDK?

A 200 Meg download is nothing at home, I have not yet searched Microsoft.

Guest leslietroyer
It looks like enabling the GPS icon in the icon bar causes the loss of the "vibrate" icon when the phone is in vibrate mode, at least in the AT&T Q9h.

Just noticed that in addition to the vibrate icon -- you also loose the "headphone" icon -- found this out when trying to make a call -- display showd call going thru and answered -- but never got any sound ??? -- found I forgot to turn my S9 off, and the sound was all going there, previous to this I had a headphone icon when ever the BT headset was paired.

LEs

Guest DJ Justifier

I keep getting that stupid "ERROR: cannot display this file... blah, blah, blah". I have no access to a PC with ActiveSync, can anyone else suggest a serious way to get this .cab to my phone that does not involve using a computer? I'm on a Blackjack 2. THANX!

Edited by DJ Justifier

Guest Enviroatty
I keep getting that stupid "ERROR: cannot display this file... blah, blah, blah". I have no access to a PC with ActiveSync, can anyone else suggest a serious way to get this .cab to my phone that does not involve using a computer? I'm on a Blackjack 2. THANX!

Save it to a PC and e-mail it to yourself. Then save the e-mail attachment to your card and run it from there.

Guest shahzaman
gpsidsp.png

P

Paul:

I am new to smartphones. How do I install it in the HTC Tytan II running WM6?

Shahzaman

Guest Wavelabs

Ok, I am NEW here, and I already am so darn confused,

because I am reading about Q9H and then people with blackjacks.

So my mind is completely blown to shitz already.

This forum is NOT in order and everything is just scattered.

Why there is no sections for each phone.???

Example:

SMARTPHONE:/

-------Q9h

-------BJ2

-------Q9m

-------T-Mobile

etc, etc, etc.....

This way people go into their own phone sections and discuss nothing but that particular phone

within that Sub-Forum. - I have Moderated and even Administrated some really heavy forums,

So I know a thing or 2 about forums, PHP, MySQL and all that crap...... And I build Flash, CSS, RSS and Static websites and forums.

This is from a new person on this particular forum here. - and this is what I see.....

I hope this can be implemented, to make it easier for mobile users to go to where they need to about their phones.

And there is no LOBBY either,

OK, With That Out Of The Way......!!!!

This is the reason why I came here for.

Here is the deal,

I am debating between the Q9H and the Q9M.

Because the Q9M is Wi-Fi capable - even though its only for Verizon-Wireless Only - and I want AT&T,

but I hate the way it looks too with the square button, because I like the Razor look better, but love the RED color.

and Because the Q9H looks better and looks like an actual Razor phone in blue and has the GPS capabilities as the Q9M does not.

Also, I don't want to get the iPhone just yet, because I am waiting for the company to come out with the 160 gig version of the Iphone.

I called AT&T and even went to the store itself. I was informed that in order for me to use the extra feature on the iPhone for GPS and AIm messaging,

ALL I had to do was pay an extra 30 dollars per month on top of my billing plan of 59.99

and I would be able to use everything unlimitedly......

But the thing is the damn thing can not save to microSD. - And DON'T FORGET the 499.00 cost of the phone itself.!!

And if I want to save anything, I always have to connect it to the computer.

Because it does not have Bluetooth, it only had Wi-Fi, by what I was told by the Sales Person at AT&T.

So this is why I am debating between ALL 3 of these phones.

AT&T also informed me of the cost of the Q9H which is 99 dollars when subscribed to AT&T.

But this is why I am also here.....

Because I DON'T want to pay 50.00 for Unlimited TeleNAV, and another 50.00 Dollars for Unlimited DATA usage, and another 30 Dollars for unlimited Messaging.

ON TOP of my Monthly payment plan of 59.99....... THATS JUST CRAZY....

that comes out to be, almost 200 dollars per month for the services and additions just to use the darn phone....

So this is why I am really confused, one phone has one feature while the other one does not so on and so forth.

:: My girlfriend tells me, that I should just get any phone, and just purchase the ASUS-G2S Laptop and use that for internet and Wifi

and messaging and AIM and emails and everything else I want to use.

And use the phone just for phone.....

See what I mean, I am so confused, because I want a Good phone that I can have for several years and enjoy,

but not be left behind in technology either or become outdated.

I want to purchase a Phone within the next few days........

And I am also purchasing an actual 160gig-iPOD, this is why the debate comes about the iphone too.

and the reason why I am debating on waiting for the new 160gig-Iphone.

I am also wondering if MOTOROLA is coming out with a newer version of Q9H that would have WI-FI adapted to it.

If I purchase the Q9H, what options do I have ?????

Can the Q9M be unlocked to use with AT&T, so I would have Wi-FI since it comes WI-FI ready ?????

Which one is better - Q9H - or - Q9M ?????

I want to Talk on phone, AIM my friends, send pictures, videos, files and music to friends,

I want to email friends and surf the net and also have GPS.

What do I do ????

Guest nickcornaglia

Dude...thats the longest post I ever saw....

First...device specific forumas are here:

http://www.modaco.com/category/86/Smartpho...evice-Specific/

There is also a PPC specific set of devices as well. Take a look around. There is more Smartphone information here than any other site.

Next...Lobby Area? There is an off-topic area called The Lounge for non-phone discussions, as well as General Help forums and forums for Absolute beginners. Cick on FORUM at the top of the page to see all of the forums here. Again....The is THE biggest Windows Mobile Forum around. I think PaulMVP (site owner) is doing something right.

==========

Next...

the Q9M is a Verizon phone using CDMA. You can never use it on AT&T which is GSM. (Two different network types).

Next...160Gig version of the iPhone....I think you mean 16Gig. If you wait for new phones to come out, you'll be waiting forever because when the 16GB version comes out...they'll rumor that a 32Gig version is right around the corner. To date...Windows mobile still KILLS the iPhone as far as features. The iPhone looks cooler...but WindowsMobile does more.

The Q9h under AT&T can be bought with rebates. I think I got mine for $199 about a month ago with new contract.

I have $19.99 unlimited data. I dont know if that plan is available anymore...but I got it years ago...so I'm able to keep that price.

As far as TeleNav. It's only $10/month but Dont get it. It's not that good. Just create the com port as described above and use any GPS app you want without fees.

Enjoy the site and look around a bit to learn some more! :)

Guest Wavelabs

ok that sets things on a little more perspective now,

The darn Arse from Verizon told me that Q9m was GSM, now I know the truth from you - Thanks :)

I am thinking about getting the Q9H, because on NewEgg they have it for 99 dollars for first time activation.

As far as TeleNAV - I have something for everyone, that I found just now. go here to download this little application.

http://www.smart2go.com/en/download - new navigation software for the Q. "That takes care of the TeleNAV"

As far as the Unlimited Data Plan, AT&T charges 30 to 39 dollars for that.

Can the Q9H have its WiFi connected or is there NO wifi hardware at all in the device.

I am asking because I don't know, sorry for being naive on GSM phones :D

Also, thanks for the welcome and being nice :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.