Finally... the Microsoft utility for configuring GPSID on Smartphone

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest NorthPilot06

I can't seem to modify the specified registry settings - I get an access denied error (but I can modify other settings) - Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: Nevermind! I uninstalled google maps and reinstalled it, and I have 6 satellites that I am connecting to! Thanks!

One question though...have you guys experimented with the baud rate for GPS? I put it at the highest, and it still connects everytime?

Also, for those with the Blackjack 2...when using GPS...do you constantly see the "GPS active (X)..." at the top? I didnt know if it ever went away. Thanks for any feedback!

Edited by atl

Same thing happened to me. The GPS on my Blackjack II has been working fine. I tried Google Maps, Live Search, Garmin Mobile XT, TeleNav, GPS Test and all worked. I just installed GPSID to see what it does. Now nothing works now. Tried to uninstall everything but still no luck. Any one has any suggestions? I really don't want do a hard reset.

Thanks!

Zhihong

Lots of people reporting this problem where it use to work and now nothing... well me too! :D I had GPSActivation loaded and most things worked until I installed GPSID which "broke" it.

This helped me to fix it on my BJ2. I thought there was nothing to lose since I was prepared to do a hard reset to get it back. I changed a registry key so if you are comfortable doing that kind of thing here you go; use a registry editor and go to Key name:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers\SamsungGPSHardware

modify the Value name "Interface Type" value data from COMM to PHONE

I rebooted after making the change just to be safe although I wasn't sure if I needed to or not. Well after waiting for the longest 60 seconds of my life GPSTest, Google Maps, MS Live Search all started working again. Remember to change all the options on your apps back to the way it was before you loaded the GPSID.... this GPSID thingy puts a whole new meaning for "killer app" huh? :( I hope it helps somebody else from not having to hard reset. Good luck!

But I need some other help now;

CoPilot Live v7 software refuses to recognize the GPS hardware. That is why I loaded the GPSID in the first place. I previously had tried the MoDaCo.SmartphoneGPSActivator.COM4 app and it didn't fix it.

Edited by pPCp

Guest cgrimm

I'm currently using a Moto Q9h, I've installed gps test and the com3 cab. I can get my gps active and get a fix, the problem is that I cant turn the gps off, aside from entering GPSid and turning the com3 option to (none) so that it cant find the gps unit. Can anyone suggest a way to quickly turn on/off the gps unit within the Q so that I dont have to go through the gps setup every time?

Thanks.

Guest Nottach

Has anybody figured out how to display the GPS activity in the Icon Bar for the BJ2.

I used to use to Modaco GPS Hack. After this release became available I did a hard reset to begin from scratch. I only used this GPS Settings Utility and everything works fine. Follow the instructions and yours should work too. It does take a long, long, long time to acquire a lock, up to 15 mins. AND YOU MUST BE OUTDOORS TO DO SO!!! If you haven't sat outside for at least 20 mins in a CLEAR area trying to get a lock then you shouldn't be posting, How do I make this work?

Lets solve the GPS Icon issue for BJ2. I'm searching the registry and I haven't come across anything yet. Have you?

Edited by Nottach

Guest nickcornaglia

There are different levels of understanding. Though it gets frustrating, Please don't criticize others for not knowing how to do things on their phones.

The regedit that activates the GPS status in the icon bar only works on the Q because the required dlls and registry entries are not on other phones.

Could be possible to install them onto other phones....but you'd need to get everything in the right place. Maybe someone with both phones could figure it out...but dont post the files here as it's illegal and not allowed on the forums here.

To answer other questions....

- You do not need to install the GPS cab now that the GPSID program has been posted.

- To install a cab file....connect your phone to the pc, click on explore in activesync, place the cab on the phone where you could navigate to it (like the storage card)....navigate to it on the phone and click on it to install.

- If you are using the COM ports listed above for your specific phone....you do not need to turn off GPS. It does it by itself when you close the app using it. (EXIT the app...not just switch to another app)

Guest Nottach
There are different levels of understanding. Though it gets frustrating, Please don't criticize others for not knowing how to do things on their phones.

The regedit that activates the GPS status in the icon bar only works on the Q because the required dlls and registry entries are not on other phones.

Could be possible to install them onto other phones....but you'd need to get everything in the right place. Maybe someone with both phones could figure it out...but dont post the files here as it's illegal and not allowed on the forums here.

I understand that everyone gets stuck eventually but really, c'mon. I read through this entire thread in about 20 mins. And HALF the posts ask the same exact questions! The whole thing about hacking/modding a device is learning what it is you're doing and why you're doing it. Not breezing through a tutorial written for an infant and expecting immediate results. If people take their time and READ what's already been posted as well as figure things out on their own the cool, one-of-a-kind, device they end up with seems much more gratifing. Sorry if I come off as a d*** but I am one. So I've been told. LOL,

As for the Icon Bar, GPS Icon, on a BJ2. If anybody with a Q would like to work together on this PM me. We have to keep it off this forum, as encece said.

Edited by Nottach

Guest saratkon

Hey Paul,

Have recently bought a Q9h (atleast thats what is displayed on the box). I am trying to configure my GPS, but with no success. Have installed eveything thats suggested on this forum (GPSID, GPS Test, trackr!, googlemaps, etc). Even Windows Live is not able to get a GPS signal.

I am doubting if my phone does have a GPS chip in it at all. When I open the registry to set the LSAService setting, the key is not present at all. The model name that gets displayed in the registry editor is "MotoQ Norman". Is it different from all the models you guys are having. How do I find out if there is a GPS chip in it in the first place?

Sarat

India

Guest pcherfils
So for BJ2 users...set to com4?

Q9h users, set to COM1 or COM3.

Not sure if this is on the BJ2...but on the Q9H there is a reg key...

HKLM\Services\LCAService

Change DisplayIcon from 0 to 1 and restart your phone.

There will be a nice little GPS icon in your icon bar that has the following indicators:

GPS = GPS off

Flashing ))) alternating [check] = GPS Active

Flashing ))) alternating [x] = Acquiring Fix

Hello,

Sorry for the question but i have install both MoDaCo.SmartphoneGPSActivator.COM4 and Microsoft_Smartphone_GPSID_Settings on my motorola q9h and nothing is happening... When i use google map it does not find the gps... i try com 3 and 4 without any success.

Where are those reg key that i need to change?

is there a manual or a step by step process that i can look at?

thanks for your help.

Hello,

Sorry for the question but i have install both MoDaCo.SmartphoneGPSActivator.COM4 and Microsoft_Smartphone_GPSID_Settings on my motorola q9h and nothing is happening... When i use google map it does not find the gps... i try com 3 and 4 without any success.

Where are those reg key that i need to change?

is there a manual or a step by step process that i can look at?

thanks for your help.

I have the same issue, i can't seem to get my MOTO q9h to work no matter what i do, any help, are there specific settings or what?

Guest nickcornaglia

I am unsubscribing to this thread after I answer this AGAIN! I was trying to be nice and do my job as a moderator...but really! You need to read thru the threads on this forum to get the answers sometimes. Actually...the answers to this one were in the first two posts!

BJ2 users...set to com4

Not Q9c...Not any other Moto Smartphone....just the Q9h (The only one as of today with built in GPS)

Additionally....On the Q9H there is a reg key...

HKLM\Services\LCAService

There will be a nice little GPS icon in your icon bar that has the following indicators:

GPS = GPS off

Restart your phone.

Q9h users...set all GPS programs to use COM3

BJ2 Users (not BJ1 as it doesnt have GPS)...set your GPS programs to use COM4.

BJ2 users can NOT add the GPS icon regedit as the required files and registry keys are not available on your phone.

Be patient as the GPS in both phones SUCKS! and take a long time to get the first satellite connections.

Lastly...when the application using GPS is closed (not just in the background but CLOSED) GPS is disconnected.

If you use the wrong com port...the GPS connection WILL NOT CLOSE and your battery will drain QUICKLY.

Thats it. No secrects here...it's all in black and white! (or blue on this page!) :D

Guest PSS Boston

I have read a lot on both this forum and Howard forum.

One simple question that might help others like me:

Is there something I can do to my Q9M that will allow it to utilize the aGPS that it supposedly has (that gets GPS coordinates from cell towers vs GPS satelites) so that it can tell sw packages like MS Live where I am?

This would be good for searches like movies and gas becasue I would not have to tell the software my location. Without this MS Live is really useless.... (as I have found)

I read in some posts that perhaps there is some utility that I can install that will make aGPS data available to other software running on the phone.

Thanks very much for your advise

Edited by PSS Boston

Guest tigarr

Lots of people reporting this problem where it use to work and now nothing... well me too! :( I had GPSActivation loaded and most things worked until I installed GPSID which "broke" it.

This helped me to fix it on my BJ2. I thought there was nothing to lose since I was prepared to do a hard reset to get it back. I changed a registry key so if you are comfortable doing that kind of thing here you go; use a registry editor and go to Key name:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers\SamsungGPSHardware

I rebooted after making the change just to be safe although I wasn't sure if I needed to or not. Well after waiting for the longest 60 seconds of my life GPSTest, Google Maps, MS Live Search all started working again. Remember to change all the options on your apps back to the way it was before you loaded the GPSID.... this GPSID thingy puts a whole new meaning for "killer app" huh? :D I hope it helps somebody else from not having to hard reset. Good luck!

CoPilot Live v7 software refuses to recognize the GPS hardware. That is why I loaded the GPSID in the first place. I previously had tried the MoDaCo.SmartphoneGPSActivator.COM4 app and it didn't fix it.

I had the same problem . Thanks for the fix :(

Edited by tigarr

Guest spartanrob
Lots of people reporting this problem where it use to work and now nothing... well me too! :D I had GPSActivation loaded and most things worked until I installed GPSID which "broke" it.

I rebooted after making the change just to be safe although I wasn't sure if I needed to or not. Well after waiting for the longest 60 seconds of my life GPSTest, Google Maps, MS Live Search all started working again. Remember to change all the options on your apps back to the way it was before you loaded the GPSID.... this GPSID thingy puts a whole new meaning for "killer app" huh? :( I hope it helps somebody else from not having to hard reset. Good luck!

THANK YOU!

Guest isaach
I am unsubscribing to this thread after I answer this AGAIN! I was trying to be nice and do my job as a moderator...but really! You need to read thru the threads on this forum to get the answers sometimes. Actually...the answers to this one were in the first two posts!

BJ2 users...set to com4

Not Q9c...Not any other Moto Smartphone....just the Q9h (The only one as of today with built in GPS)

Additionally....On the Q9H there is a reg key...

HKLM\Services\LCAService

GPS = GPS off

Restart your phone.

Q9h users...set all GPS programs to use COM3

BJ2 Users (not BJ1 as it doesnt have GPS)...set your GPS programs to use COM4.

BJ2 users can NOT add the GPS icon regedit as the required files and registry keys are not available on your phone.

Be patient as the GPS in both phones SUCKS! and take a long time to get the first satellite connections.

Lastly...when the application using GPS is closed (not just in the background but CLOSED) GPS is disconnected.

If you use the wrong com port...the GPS connection WILL NOT CLOSE and your battery will drain QUICKLY.

Thats it. No secrects here...it's all in black and white! (or blue on this page!) :D

Excellent info, and thanks. the gps on my q 9h is working flawlessly with google maps. BUT...how do you change the registry so that the indicator shows up on screen? i've searched the forums and couldn't locate the info, perhaps because i'm new here. also since i'm asking questions, does anybody know where to download LiveSearch Mobile onto your computer so that you can sync your device and load it that way versus having to pay data fees and download straight to the phone?

Guest pepelepiu

Hello, I just got a BJII. I have never had a smartphone and so I am starting with babysteps. I live in the US and want to install GPS on my phone. I cannot afford a Data plan right now so I got the basic plan with no internet. Can I still have GPS on my phone. If so, what programs do you guys recommend for me to get? What should I do first and how do I go about it? Thanks for welcoming me into your community!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kareljack

just wanted to say that this app worked flawlessly (so far) with my Q9H. Google maps used to take forever to lock onto the satellites, live search did not find any at all.

So I installed GPSTest but it never found any satellites... live search did start having some success though.

Then I installed this utility and GPSTest works, google maps and windows live grab between 4 and 6 satellites - google once reported 12! - and they lock on within 5 seconds. I dont even have to run gpstest first. Not only that, but I am locking onto satellites from inside my apt!!!! SWEEEEET!!!

Guest cowboyshootist
Just noticed that in addition to the vibrate icon -- you also loose the "headphone" icon -- found this out when trying to make a call -- display showd call going thru and answered -- but never got any sound ??? -- found I forgot to turn my S9 off, and the sound was all going there, previous to this I had a headphone icon when ever the BT headset was paired.

LEs

I didn't do the Reg Hack for the GPS icon but I also noticed that the handsfree/headphone icon no longer displays when using my BT headset. I am wondering if something in the cab install blew that away?

I've also had several issues with some of the settings. I temporarily lost my Internet and Email sync but a call to ATT and resetting the GPRS and Proxy Connections settings has everything working again.

Windows Live can connect to GPS even though I have not set a Comm port with GPSID. Setting to Program Port to COM3 seems to work with Google and Windows Live.

Life is good. :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.