Finally... the Microsoft utility for configuring GPSID on Smartphone

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest dutchphoto
I didn't do the Reg Hack for the GPS icon but I also noticed that the handsfree/headphone icon no longer displays when using my BT headset. I am wondering if something in the cab install blew that away?

I've also had several issues with some of the settings. I temporarily lost my Internet and Email sync but a call to ATT and resetting the GPRS and Proxy Connections settings has everything working again.

Windows Live can connect to GPS even though I have not set a Comm port with GPSID. Setting to Program Port to COM3 seems to work with Google and Windows Live.

Life is good. :D

Use WMGpsShow to hide of unhide the GPS icon.

sorry PPC only.

Edited by dutchphoto

Guest ross2852

I'm still trying to find a fix to be able to turn the GPS off on my Q9h, it's working on com4 now, and i have the icon displayed to tell me if its on or what not- and i just used it for the first time today a few hours ago, and now my battery is almost dead!

Has anyone found a fix for this yet?

Thanks,

Ross

Guest Loga
This is EXACTLY what happenned to me when I installed GPSID Settings after installing the Modoco GPS Activator. It just stopped working. I just did a hard reset of the phone and reinstalled everything without touching the GPSID setting hack again. I learned my lesson.

Yea, same thing happened to me also.

I had the GPS working just fine until I installed the activator (was trying to get Garmin XT working.)

WELL. The patch killed the GPS completely, I had to do a hard reset to get it back.

Pretty annoying.

In theory, we shouldn't need this hack at all (we=WM6 users.) The Intermediate driver should do the trick always.

So far, I have Google maps, AT&T Nav (Telenav) and Windows Live working fine w/o the hack, using the Intermediate driver.

I'll be trying the Garmin XT in a few days but according to what I've read, that will not require this hack either.

Guest johnmac56

I just got a Blackjack II two days ago, and have been reading through this forum to try and get my GPS working correctly without using TeleNav.

I wanted to use it with a geocaching program called cachemate. I have installed the cachemate program on my Blackjack II and it is working properly. I also installed the com4 cab file and the GPSid cab file and the CacheNav plugin in for CacheMate works fine.

I downloaded and synced the GPSTest program, but whenever I try to run it I recieve the following error message:

'GPSTest' is not a valid Windows CE application.

I have searched through the Windows directory looking for the OE version of GPSTest, but it is not on this Blackjack II. Any ideas why this program will not run on my brand-new Blackjack II? Since the Cachemate program works and the CacheNav plugin works, it won't kill me not to have the GPSTest program working, its just bugging me that it wasn't included in my Blackjack II and the downloaded version won't run on it.

Oh yeah, many many thanks to all of you for all your hard work on this....

Guest ccryder

Just picked up my Q 9h on Tuesday, after I broke the screen on my 8925 :D

I had the Garmin XT software and tried it on the Q but, it could not find the GPS. With this GPSID file, all is right with the world.

Thanks to all.

Now I just have to search for some other little goodies for this phone.

And away weeeeeeeeeee goooooooooo.

Guest momchi
gpsidsp.png
Well well... i've been bleating on for *ever* about how hard done by Smartphone users are compared to their Pocket PC counterparts with no UI in the OS to configure the GPS Intermediary Driver (GPSID), and what happens? One springs up!

It turns out that a GPSID configuration utility that exactly mirrors the Pocket PC version is nestling away in the 'Tools' directory of the Windows Mobile 6 Standard SDK Refresh! If you're a BlackJack II owner, a Motorola Q9H owner or basically anyone wanting to configure GPS on a Smartphone, then you NEED this utility!

I don't think it's really fair to make you download a >200MB SDK install just to get hold of it, so (because i'm nice like that) i've packaged the application up into a lovely CAB file, which is attached below.

Enjoy, and Microsoft - better late than never eh? :D

P

Microsoft_Smartphone_GPSID_Settings.cab

Paul, Lord bless you again for this post and utility. But so that I can uderstand it better, please, does that 'replace' the need for your COM4 hack (activator) for WM6.0 devices? OR, this is purely for configuration of the driver only? I am confused a bit - does that driver provide access to the COM port also now (seems like it)?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest preembargo

I wonder why this works well for some and kills GPS for others. I’ve followed the installation instructions for the BJ2 and used the recommended settings but now my GPS is useless. How can I undo this? I’ve changed the registry value as suggested above but I don’t know what the factory settings were before I installed the GPSID configuration utility.

edit to add:

Allow me to answer my own question, it would seem (in my case anyway) that the user is the reason for the varied results. I uninstalled/reinstalled the utility and now it works great.

Paul, thank you!

Edited by preembargo

Guest Shailendra
gpsidsp.png
Well well... i've been bleating on for *ever* about how hard done by Smartphone users are compared to their Pocket PC counterparts with no UI in the OS to configure the GPS Intermediary Driver (GPSID), and what happens? One springs up!

It turns out that a GPSID configuration utility that exactly mirrors the Pocket PC version is nestling away in the 'Tools' directory of the Windows Mobile 6 Standard SDK Refresh! If you're a BlackJack II owner, a Motorola Q9H owner or basically anyone wanting to configure GPS on a Smartphone, then you NEED this utility!

I don't think it's really fair to make you download a >200MB SDK install just to get hold of it, so (because i'm nice like that) i've packaged the application up into a lovely CAB file, which is attached below.

Enjoy, and Microsoft - better late than never eh? :(

P

Paul,

I have two questions. :D

1. I have Moto Q9C, still do I need this program.

2. When I downloaded and unziped the program, it created SMARTP~1.000, _setup.xml and 000CAB50.001. I need help to install these files (I did copied these files into my phone)

Hope either Paul or someone can help me in this.

Thanks

SKC

Guest nefnet13

OK this is my first post on a mobile-related forum and I don't really have anything useful to add (how's that for an opening), but I just wanted to thank all the helpful folks here.

I probably didn't really need any of the resources here-- Google Maps would eventually get a GPS lock after 15 mins or so right out-of-the-box, but Live Search wouldn't do so unless I got a fix through Google first. I found that workaround too clunky and recource-intensive. I was all ready to return my shiny new Q9H for something else (it's a sexy phone but coming off a Treo 680 I miss the speed and comfort of Palm OS-- don't miss the craches and constant "bricking" though).

GPS Test loads quicker and is lighter weight than Google Maps and it gives me a sense of progress watching the bars raise and lower while I wait for a fix... So there's that. And it allows Live Search to get its fix as well (and LS is one impressive app-- the voice recognition is insanely useful when driving; not recommended I know).

So thanks again, folks, Paul, encece, et al. for your determination and goodwill. For every poster asking the same question over and over there are many other hapless googlers like me who are rescued through your largesse. Kudos!

Guest weinster666

Please disregard original text of this posting. I have the app installed. Currently, I am not having much luck getting this to work with my Verizon Q9c using this app and GPSTEST to test.

If anyone has been successful in getting the GPS recognized on this make and model, please let me know.

Thank you!

Edited by weinster666

Guest jooce

I was wondering if this little program you have here works on the moto q 9m for verizon and if so how do I make it work??

thanks

gpsidsp.png

P

Guest onyxblaze360

Ok, so I've sifted through this thread and it seems that this cab is useless for somebody like me who only has a Moto Q (just Q, no fancy numbers or numbers and letters after it).

Am I correct in this assumption and if so is there anything anyone knows that will let me use the GPS feature with my google maps appllication? I'd really hate to have to pay Sprint for gps as they are already gauging me for so much else.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration, both of which are greatly appreciated :D

• 4 weeks later...
Guest teddytrons

ok, here's a unique (maybe) BJ2 problem. I'm in Atlanta...

I installed the MoDaCo activator, then Live Search, everything worked fine for about two weeks, it even helped me to manoever around a July 4th traffic snarl. Then my GPS went south-by-south-east!!!

Every time I try to get a GPS location it puts me off the coast of Melborne, FL or off the coast of Freeport, Bahamas... :D

I did a hard reset (format), reinstalled the activator, Live Search, and Google Mobile Maps. No change, now I'm constantly in the Bahamas, according to GPS. While It would be great to 'actually' visit the Bahamas, having this problem renders my phone useless for GPS navigation.

I installed GPSTest and GPSID, set them up according to threads found here, but no change in symptoms. GPSTest says it sees 9 satelites, with two being very strong. Google says it's using two of these.

Has anyone seen this before or can anyone offer any suggestions to solve this delimma?

Edited by teddytrons

Guest xbrandnewseason

i'm running Garmin Mobile XT on my Blackjack II. I used this program and set all of the settings correctly, and when i start Garmin i changed the settings to com 4 and it searcges for satellite but doesnt work. the integreated gps setting worked but is no longer listed. help?

Edited by xbrandnewseason

Guest Lech25
gpsidsp.png

P

Hi Paul I'm a brand new member trying to find out if this utility is intended to work in any WM6 device. I have a Treo 800w and as you probably heard there is a lot of confusion regarding "GPS / aGPS" on this device. Please enlight me. Thanks in advance !

Lech25.

Guest Monolithix

I've not heard about the GPS/aGPS confusion, what is it? As you have a Professional device you'll find these options already in the settings of your Treo. If you leave them on their default settings the GPS *should* just work...:D

Guest mukulmatta
gpsidsp.png

P

how can i turn off and turn on GSP moto Q9h , this utility turns GPS on , but then it stays up running 24/7 , which kills my battery , i need some solution to turn it off , while i dont need it , and turn it on , only when i need it ...

thanks , great work , work on my Q9h , shows on home screen

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mitthooo
gpsidsp.png

P

Paul,

Can you please tell me what are the setting for program port and hardware port in GPSID configuration utility for BkalckackII?

Also in the google maps options what should be the GPS settings?

Thanks

mitthooo

Guest SOCCERSTRIKER
gpsidsp.png

P

Do I do anything with the hardware port or just leave is set as "none"

I have a bjii

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest BD_Pompey

Hi,

Here's my story - was trying to get Tom Tom Navigator 6 to see the internal GPS on my BJ II.

Installed hack. Installed GPSTEST. WLS could see satellites. Set port to COM4 etc. Tom Tom could not see internal GPS.

Charged phone after doing this on my laptop (Dell D800 Latititude) whilst on the road.

When I got home, put laptop into docking station. Booted and got message asking me to connect the COM port. I connected phone via USB and all worked fine. Disconnected phone, all fine still. Rebooted, get IRQ conflict on Secondary IDE Channel and COMMUNICATIONS PORT. Cannot seem to get rid of it. Tried different IRQ addresses for COMMUNICATIONS PORT but to no avail. All drivers are updated. Even flashed Dell BIOS. Outside of docking station, no conflicts. When in docking station, it seems to be looking for a COM port on the Serial! When in docking station, as a result, can't see printer on LPT1 (COM1?) nor CD/DVD drive (IDE channel?).

Any ideas on how to resolve this??

Thanks in advance,

David.

• 1 month later...
Guest dutchphoto
What exactly is the windows mobile equivalent?

It's not the QGPS app, right?

I have a Tilt.

Thanks.

your gps icon.QGPS is something completly different!

gps-settings-gps-icon.jpg

Edited by dutchphoto

Guest wisniak

This app has absolutely no effect on GPS performance (in my Tilt).

Further, wm6.1 has introduced a big problem for Tilts and Kaisers: IGO8 isn't compatible with the AGPS functionality (if AGPS is active, then IGO8 can't acquire any satellites. In the GPS setup screen, there's a checkbox for "use GPS", and this checkbox doesn't retain the checkmark. Thus IGO8 can't get satellite fixes.... If AGPS is disabled using KaiserTweak or Schaps Advanced Config, only then does IGO8 acquires satellites).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.