T-Mobile now offering free WiFi Hotspot access to Web'n'Walk Plus users

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Thumper Net

seems here the cost is also shot up for wnw because the speed has been increased .

but who is going to pay 70 euros per month above their contract for it ?

how fast is the uk version of wnw ?

post-19316-1200479327_thumb.jpg

Guest Monolithix

So i just called T-Mob about this and they didn't have any idea what i was talking about :) Think i'll drop them an email with a link to the press release...

Guest WearTheFoxHat
Direct from the T-Mobile web'n'walk page:

How do I start using WiFi HotSpots?

Once you've signed up to web'n'walk Plus, Max or Plus Daily follow these steps:
  1. Text OPEN to 9526
  2. You'll then receive your HotSpot username and password
  3. Find your nearest HotSpot
  4. Take your WiFi enabled laptop to the HotSpot location
  5. Type your username and password into the HotSpot login screen
  6. Surf the web!
Web'n'walk fair use policy applies.

Just tried it, and it worked for me (have had my Vario II for 12 months now, so definitely not a new subscriber!).

Yeah but tell us if you get charged onto your monthly account for usage of it!

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Im hoping that T-Mobile see sense with this, and offer it to existing subscribers too. For them, the cost model actually decreases ... for I'm sure its cheaper to send high-speed data through an internet cafés broadband connection, than to use their HSDPA broadband!

Guest rubber_duck

I spoke to T-mobile about this today, im a existing T-mobile w&w customer and they arranged this for me without having to renew my contract.

Providing you currently have W&W pro you can activate it by txting Open to 9526. The reply contains your log-in and password for the Hotspot.

Now just got to wait for the Touch Plus........

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Hmmm I might give T-Mo a call and get it enabled, as Im using wnw plus. Then use it just once in a coffee shop and then see if I get charged !!

Seems simple enough :)

Guest madferret

I added WnW plus to my price plan last month so I thought it was worth a try asking about WiFi.

I sent them an email* last night and a few minutes ago I received a text from '9526' with my HotSpot username & password, followed (!) by a phone call confirming that I could use WiFi for free.

Result!

* I have to say that T-Mob's email team are very good at responding. It's much simpler writing down what you want and getting them to call me than holding for ages to get a clueless droid at the CS call centre.

Guest Monolithix

Yep - confirmed. It took 3(!) CSR's but eventually the last one offered to ask around for me and call back. He gave me the same texting info and assuming you're on wnw+, you will not be charged!

Guest Confucious

Good news if it's true - does this mean I can take my laptop to any T-Mob Wifi hotspot and log on free of charge? If so, what's to stop unscrupulous people sharing their username / password?

Guest Monolithix
Good news if it's true - does this mean I can take my laptop to any T-Mob Wifi hotspot and log on free of charge? If so, what's to stop unscrupulous people sharing their username / password?

Nothing i assume, maybe a minutes FUP they haven't published yet?

Guest madferret
Out of interest, to what email address did you send your query?

I did it through the web site. Log in to My T-Mobile then select Contact Us and there's an email option about halfway down the page.

what's to stop unscrupulous people sharing their username / password?

The Ts&Cs of course :)

Two things I've noticed since having it set up:

- My T-Mobile is now showing a £10/month charge for WiFi + a mysterious 'Allowance' (no amount). That had better be for £10!

- The regular £10 option includes 300 minutes free use of BT Openzone WiFi. Next time I'm near one I'll have a try...

Guest WearTheFoxHat

To update this ...

I emailed T-Mobile last night and got an email back quoting the press release "I'm pleased to say that From Tuesday 1st January 2008 all new customers who sign up to web'n'walk Plus/Max, Flext & web'n'walk Plus/Max price plans or web'n'walk Plus daily will receive free access to any T-Mobile Hotspot."

The email then went on to give me a telephone number for more information. (I wont list this here, as it was just a tech support line). However they then put me through to T-Mobile customer services.

I asked the lady I spoke to where an existing Plus or Max customer stood with regards to the free hotspot access. She admitted I was the first person to ask this, so went away to check. She came back and said "It's available to both new and existing customers, out of fairness to current customers". She then added the service to my account, advising me that i would see it listed and charged for, although it was then discounted off 100%.

I'm now waiting for my confirmation email and then have to text "OPEN" to 9526 to get my username and password.

Guest Paul (MVP)

Still no dice, but they did agree that if I bumped my main plan from WnW standard to WnW Plus (an extra fiver a month, although I get 50% discount) then they'd give me hotspot access free.

P

Guest WearTheFoxHat

T-Mobile have just updated their website.

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobile-phon...whome_broadband

To answer someone else's question about if you have to use your handset or laptop; I'm not sure, all you are provided is a username and password, which I guess is linked into your account. I doubt they would have a record of all pocketpc and smartphone mac addresses. Especially when it comes to people paying for the service as a non-tmobile customer. They pay for access, and not access on just one device.

Guest madferret

The link to the web site only refers to new customers. But point 4 of "How do I start using WiFi HotSpots" clears up the laptop or phone question:

'4. Take your WiFi enabled laptop to the HotSpot location'

Makes sense as they are selling WnW Plus/Max as mobile broadband solutions, pushing 3G modem access as one of the benefits.

And Paul, were you really hoping they would upgrade standard WnW to free WiFi? I don't think that was ever likely! :)

Ah no, I have a second tariff with a WnW data card tariff (pro?), that's what I was hoping to get hotspots added to.

P

I have just had it put on both my Web & Walk accounts, I have a W&W pro card and a Tytn II with W&W plus. Phoned customer services and it was put on without any problems. Apperenty it does show the £10 charge but it is credited back straight away. I got my user name and password texted to my phone in minutes. Keep trying you will get it.

Peter

Guest WearTheFoxHat
I have just had it put on both my Web & Walk accounts, I have a W&W pro card and a Tytn II with W&W plus. Phoned customer services and it was put on without any problems. Apperenty it does show the £10 charge but it is credited back straight away. I got my user name and password texted to my phone in minutes. Keep trying you will get it.

Peter

Same thing they did for me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.