CamerAware BETA aka 'CamerAware <hearts> Navizon'

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest dr_nick

i still havent reached the threshold for an award :(

seems only people with multiple referals or doing lots of driving to different areas (usually occupationally) seem to be making any money...

how much have you cashed in now paul?! :D

Guest petec500
Funny you should say that. I updated my Touch to the latest build of CA on Friday, went for a drive on Sunday and when i got home to sync my points, it said "No sync necessary" or words to that effect. I've been keeping a tally of my points on an Excel spreadsheet and sure enough, my points havent increased from yesterday's drive, though i'm sure it had picked up two or three hundred APs and a good few cells.

However, on my Qtek 8310, which i haven't upgraded to the latest build, that was also running during my trip yesterday, i got loads of points added to my total.

I'll watch this with interest.

I'm still having this problem on my Touch. I've been racking up points all week, but when i come to sync, it just reports "No Sync Needed". I even uninstalled CA3 and downloaded the latest release version and it still says no sync needed. I've checked my Navizon credentials are still there and validated them, so why would this happen?

Please help - i'm just about to go on a long journey.

Guest petec500
I'm still having this problem on my Touch. I've been racking up points all week, but when i come to sync, it just reports "No Sync Needed". I even uninstalled CA3 and downloaded the latest release version and it still says no sync needed. I've checked my Navizon credentials are still there and validated them, so why would this happen?

Please help - i'm just about to go on a long journey.

Quick update - i reverted to R5 (3.080311) and it allowed me to sync ok, though i dont think my total points increased. Perhaps when i deleted the previous version prior to re-installing R5, it deleted all my points aswell.

Guest WearTheFoxHat
i still havent reached the threshold for an award :(

seems only people with multiple referals or doing lots of driving to different areas (usually occupationally) seem to be making any money...

how much have you cashed in now paul?! :D

Me neither Nick ... I've got to about 7500 points. To be fair, normally I don't do a huge amount of driving, despite living in an area which is pretty much unmapped. Though being fairly rural doesn't help it at all either!

Now they have lowered the payment, I'm even less inclined to run the application.

I agree with you that multiple referrals or doing lots of driving around the country makes it worthwhile to get some pocket money.

They might end up getting to the point where the application fails to get off the ground. No-one wants to run the application because there is no incentive to. Thus the mapping data is woefully out of date, and end users don't wish to use the application either!

I might persevere to my first payout, and then knock it on the head.

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Paul, it would be good to develop the web portion of CA. I believe it still has lots of potential there to do some things that the other online navigation companies aren't offering.

Guest Paul (MVP)

Bear in mind that people buying the PRO version is what really is important, not for logging points, but for the pseudo GPS functionality it provides.

I think Navizon could be a huge hit, it just needs to be implemented into some killer apps... e.g.

- Navizon positioning based traffic info

- Navizon positioning based picture tagging

- Navizon positioning integration into Windows Live Search

Remember it's pro that gives you pseudo-GPS via tower triangulation and WiFi rather than just single cells. If you have no GPS or want a quicker position response than GPS offers, then it has a lot of potential, particularly with the likes of us providing great coverage :D

etc.

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
Paul, it would be good to develop the web portion of CA. I believe it still has lots of potential there to do some things that the other online navigation companies aren't offering.

All in the (very full) plan my man, all in the plan :D

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

All in the (very full) plan my man, all in the plan :D

P

Guest WearTheFoxHat
Bear in mind that people buying the PRO version is what really is important, not for logging points, but for the pseudo GPS functionality it provides.

I think Navizon could be a huge hit, it just needs to be implemented into some killer apps... e.g.

- Navizon positioning based traffic info

- Navizon positioning based picture tagging

- Navizon positioning integration into Windows Live Search

Remember it's pro that gives you pseudo-GPS via tower triangulation and WiFi rather than just single cells. If you have no GPS or want a quicker position response than GPS offers, then it has a lot of potential, particularly with the likes of us providing great coverage :D

etc.

P

Aye ... but my point was more around:

"Who is going to buy PRO if the underlying mapping data is not consistent, and out of date?" For it to remain up to date, they need to encourage people to keep it up to date.

Guest Paul (MVP)

Sure. $15 ain't that bad still TBH, they need to be a bit careful tho.

With a bit of luck if that Pro killer app arrives or sales improve, they could bump up the incentives again.

An interesting thought: Could CamerAware sorta work in a more passive way on non GPS devices by implementing Navizon / Pro positioning? :D

P

What's interesting at the Navizon forum is that most posts are about people's ability to map points rather than use of the various 'location' based services - mapping, buddy alerts etc. - I suspect their business model is straining under the number of rewards issued aginst sales made.

The key to me appears they need to embed their non-gps location method into other people's applications aand generate other licensing based income streams - however they are going to need to have an industrial strength solution which they are some way off at the moment - not helped by the fact the the various mobile devices seem to be non-standard in the way they handle cell/wifi data.

In meantime - will keep earning pin money -

p.s Collecting lots of points doesn't require a lot of driving around the country, with slight changes to regular commuting routes, especially in built up areas, you can do very well. My weekend cycle rides of an hour or so usual clocks up around 5-7k points

In fact Idiscovered I can collect over 100 cells in a day just by leaving my device left on and not moving.

Guest zippyioa
newpointsvalue-20080410-213806.jpg

:D

P

I'm a bit lost on this one.

I don't see it on my rewards page - where did you find this Paul?

Also, Sunday 14th April 2008 doesn't exist, this Sunday is the 13th April!!

Zippyioa

Guest blewer
I'm a bit lost on this one.

I don't see it on my rewards page - where did you find this Paul?

Also, Sunday 14th April 2008 doesn't exist, this Sunday is the 13th April!!

Zippyioa

Seems to have gone??? Maybe they changed their minds

Guest NuShrike
What's interesting at the Navizon forum is that most posts are about people's ability to map points rather than use of the various 'location' based services - mapping, buddy alerts etc. - I suspect their business model is straining under the number of rewards issued aginst sales made.
They should be making most of their money off iPhones since those are the only majority phones without a built-in GPS these days.

Since iPhones should outnumber GPS-capable phones, the business model should be at least break even plus.

Guest Fozza
Sure. $15 ain't that bad still TBH, they need to be a bit careful tho.

With a bit of luck if that Pro killer app arrives or sales improve, they could bump up the incentives again.

An interesting thought: Could CamerAware sorta work in a more passive way on non GPS devices by implementing Navizon / Pro positioning? :D

P

Paul do you want to see if you can get an answer from Navizon around if this is going ahead or

if they have changed their minds?

Guest Shadowfixeruk

Trouble is - has anyone tried the new version of Google Maps recently? It has non GPS positioning built in... And looks awesome.. i feel that most iphone users will download GMM rather than navizon....

Grab yer cash whilst you can :D

SF

Guest kjt57
Seems to have gone??? Maybe they changed their minds

Just checked my points, it is still on there saying, $15 from Sunday 14th April........ :D

Edited by kjt57

Guest blewer
Just checked my points, it is still on there saying, $15 from Sunday 14th April........ :D

Yep, back again now :(

Not sure i'll bother after next reward

• 2 weeks later...
Guest zippyioa
Hi

Is it possible to turn off camera alerts on Cameraware and just use it to collect points?

Yes it is,

Click on Options>Cameras>and remove all the ticks - voila - no camera alerts, but you still map points!!

Cheers

Zippyioa

Edited by zippyioa

Guest kjt57
Yes it is,

Click on Options>Cameras>and remove all the ticks - voila - no camera alerts, but you still map points!!

Cheers

Zippyioa

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.