O2 refuse to supply HSDPA

Guest Appetite4

Guest Samsonite
On O2, using the GPRS Monitor supplied with the phone, I am consistently hitting on or around 130 Kbit/s, or less.

on a 3G connection?!?! rrrrubbish! :D

i have regulary had 100kbit on EDGE when my E650 can connect with that antiquated old 2.75G technology...

Edited by Samsonite

Guest crazyc
While I was testing the Orbit2 for O2 prior to release, using an O2 supplied SIM, I was getting about 1.5Mbps in Greater London (as far North as Cheshunt, but only tried as far South as London Bridge); HSDPA cover was excellent, and connections quick and reliable.

My normal Orange SIM gives about the same speeds in these locations, though not as far Norht, but the big problem I always encounter with Orange is network congestion. Although I can get some fast connections, it can take up to 2 minutes to actually obtain a connection, negating the speed advantage :D

I tried again in central london last night, with no change to my results. I really do wonder if there is something further that needs to be enabled - I am sure I read one of your reviews where it menitoned getting the HSDPA enabled by O2. If you have any guidance re this, or what exactly needed to be enabled, it would be most appreciated.

Guest Neil5459

I don't think I can add anything unfortunately :D

The O2 SIM I was using belonged to the test team, and I didn't have to do anything to enable the fast speeds. My own Orange SIM also just worked with no input from me.

It does seem that fast 3G and HSDPA is off by default in Consumer SIMs and your success in having it enabled depends on who you talk to in CS.

A post on another site by an O2 'Insider' says:

Firstly, if your SIM is quite old I'd suggest checking its a 3G SIM you have. It should say 3G somewhere just after the SIM number printed on it. If its not a 3G SIM you should be able to call O2 and get them to send you a free one.

Speed wise, O2 will tend to give consumer accounts the slightly slower version of 3G (128 Kbps) and business accounts the faster version of 3G (384 Kbps).

If your have the faster 3G already enabled then you automatically get HSDPA speeds as well (if you are in a HSDPA area of course). If you have the slower 3G enabled you will only get 3G speeds (even though your device might show a 'H' symbol).

You can call O2 and ask them to enable the faster 3G on your account, but people tend to have different success stories trying that.

and

Quote: No. You have to use a network with HSDPA coverage. I get HSDPA on T Mobile, in some places. /Quote

Not sure about T-Mobile but not quite true for O2. Even if your device shows a HSDPA signal, if you check your speed you'll most likely find it in the low ranges of 3G. Only those enabled for full speed 3g (Up to 384 Kbps) will also get HSDPA (currently up to 1.3 Mbps).

Well, the new SIM card arrived from O2 and - surprise surprise - absolutely no difference whatsoever! :D Called O2 Customer Services - who spoke to their Helpdesk - and got the same response I got last week 'there is nothing we can do to speed up your 3G connection'. What a load of Tosh! Got my PAC code and it's back off to T-Mobile again - who know what a 3G service is all about.

Goodbye O2, thanks for wasting my time (and money). I shan't be back anytime soon (or ever!). :(

And a word of advice (again). If you're looking for a fast 3G (HSDPA) data service, avoid O2 like the plague. They haven't got the foggiest idea what they're talking about.

Well I just put my new T-Mobile SIM into my MWg Atom Life and hey presto, immediately got 510kbps HSDPA - and that was in an area with a weak signal. Good old T-Mob! :D

• 4 weeks later...
Guest crazyc

Damn, was just about to post a link to the regsiter article.

I have replied to the email I have from O2 customer services denying any such restrictions, asking them to comment on the article......

Damn, was just about to post a link to the regsiter article.

I have replied to the email I have from O2 customer services denying any such restrictions, asking them to comment on the article......

After enduring my short experience with O2 I reckon you'll be wasting your time. Most of the CS reps I spoke to seemed to have no technical knowledge whatsover and seemed confused when I used terms such as "3.5G", "HSDPA", "kbps" and "Mbps". Thank god I hadn't signed up for 18 months! There's still nobody out there to match T-Mob on data. And as for the email, from my experience anyway, you'll probably get an irrelevant reply from our friends in India - that's all I got out of them! :D

One thing that annoyed me about O2 was I got an email reply asking me to call O2 CS and to ask to be transferred to the Network team who "would be able to help with your query". I rang O2 CS only to be told that "we cannot transfer your call to the Network team as they are not a customer facing department". So I ended up in a "pass the parcel" discussion as I was trying to explain technical terms to a CS rep who didn't understand - and obviously they weren't explaining the issue correctly to the network team and so on. You'd have to put a gun to my head to make me take out another contract with O2! :(

Guest crazyc
After enduring my short experience with O2 I reckon you'll be wasting your time. Most of the CS reps I spoke to seemed to have no technical knowledge whatsover and seemed confused when I used terms such as "3.5G", "HSDPA", "kbps" and "Mbps". Thank god I hadn't signed up for 18 months! There's still nobody out there to match T-Mob on data. And as for the email, from my experience anyway, you'll probably get an irrelevant reply from our friends in India - that's all I got out of them! :D

One thing that annoyed me about O2 was I got an email reply asking me to call O2 CS and to ask to be transferred to the Network team who "would be able to help with your query". I rang O2 CS only to be told that "we cannot transfer your call to the Network team as they are not a customer facing department". So I ended up in a "pass the parcel" discussion as I was trying to explain technical terms to a CS rep who didn't understand - and obviously they weren't explaining the issue correctly to the network team and so on. You'd have to put a gun to my head to make me take out another contract with O2! :(

Having been effectivley misled by both the store manager and customer services both on the phone and via email, I think I may use this to leave O2. Apart from this issue I have so far found thier customer services to be good.

Customer services suggested taking my phone back to the shop and exchange it as it must be faulty, so I could spend a month turning the entire stock of Stellars into used phones I suppose.

Guest Bartlettpsj

I am having same hassles. My Orbit2 runs at 3G 120K only. O2 Customer Services told me immediately my provisioning needs to be upped from 5 to 6. On the first call they made out it was trivial and said "just doing it....". Well 3 weeks later and numerous calls I am no further along. I've had a few "check and it should be workling in 72 hours" People keep promising to call me back and they do a couple of times and then they lose interest! It seems the blockage is the Network department in O2. They are not telling customer services anything and in fact CS are sending emails to the network team and they are not bothering to reply. It's a farce and I just sit here waiting for O2 to up me from 5 to 6!! What else can I do. I wish I went to Vodaphone. The Orbit2 is a great phone (apart from the slow screen) and O2 have been good in the past, but now they seem to have gone back to the NTL-Hell days.

Edited by Bartlettpsj

Guest crazyc
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/15/o2_denies_caps/

"O2 admitted today it has been capping speeds for its 3G customers, but claims that this is all down to a "provisioning error" rather than a deliberate policy of profiling its subscriber base"

M.S

Well maybe the email I got will get something done then?

Sounds more like the approach we wish HTC had taken with the kaiser drivers - oops we got found out lets say it was an error and fix it.

Thank you for emailing us about your download speed.

I've requested for you line to be open to the maximum download speed we can offer. This will take 36 hours to be completed.

To get an update on this, please call customer services on 0870 600 3009. Their opening times are Monday to Friday 8am - 9pm and Saturday to Sunday 8am - 8pm. This number is free to dial from your O2 handset.

If you should have any further questions, please visit our online Help Centre at:

http://www.o2.co.uk/help

Kind Regards

Sounds more like the approach we wish HTC had taken with the kaiser drivers - oops we got found out lets say it was an error and fix it.

I've requested for you line to be open to the maximum download speed we can offer. This will take 36 hours to be completed.

To get an update on this, please call customer services on 0870 600 3009. Their opening times are Monday to Friday 8am - 9pm and Saturday to Sunday 8am - 8pm. This number is free to dial from your O2 handset.

If you should have any further questions, please visit our online Help Centre at:

Kind Regards

Well if only they'd have pulled their finger out quicker, they wouldn't have lost me as a customer. No great shakes - I'm happy back with T-Mob anyway! :D

Guest Markda2000
Well if only they'd have pulled their finger out quicker, they wouldn't have lost me as a customer. No great shakes - I'm happy back with T-Mob anyway! :D

i hope you enjoy your foreign call centres, being charged for pac codes to leave apaliing customer service and staff who will not give the same answer to a question if asked twice

Guest Confucious
i hope you enjoy your foreign call centres, being charged for pac codes to leave apaliing customer service and staff who will not give the same answer to a question if asked twice

WOW! I'd hardly call Scotland 'foreign' and most people rate T's CS as excellent - it certainly has been in my experience. I thought they weren't allowed to charge for PAC codes? Could it just be that T have never had to give one before as everyone seems to love them :D

Pray tell us your experience.

Guest Bartlettpsj

I've been uncapped. Last night I was getting 330-400kps at home on 3G. Obviously something was going on within O2 and now they have acted. :D

I guess theregister report helped us all. Many thanks guys. Perhaps we are all geeks!

Kind Regards

I've always spoken to UK staff (Scotland) when I've called T-Mob - different to my short experience with O2 when I always got through to our friends in India. Never been charged for a PAC code from them (or any network Operator for that matter). And as for the Customer Service experience, T-Mob aren't perfect, but their staff do seem to have more technical knowledge of their products. Unlike O2 who, as the story states, had no idea they were capping data speeds (and each time I called to complain, staff didn't have a clue what HSDPA was). I can't complain about my experience with T-Mob and out of all the operators I've been with, they are always the most helpful and seem to be actually bothered about getting your problem resolved. Sounds like you had a bad experience with T-Mob though.

Guest Confucious
I've been uncapped. Last night I was getting 330-400kps at home on 3G. Obviously something was going on within O2 and now they have acted. :D

I guess theregister report helped us all. Many thanks guys. Perhaps we are all geeks!

That's great news- 384 is 3G speed so looks like you are getting full 3G. Does your phone have HSDPA? If so, is it enabled in your area?

Guest crazyc

Kind Regards

OK - I only got the email this morning, but checked my speed just now and am still capped.

Oh well, I guess it said to give them a day or so.

Guest Markda2000
WOW! I'd hardly call Scotland 'foreign' and most people rate T's CS as excellent - it certainly has been in my experience. I thought they weren't allowed to charge for PAC codes? Could it just be that T have never had to give one before as everyone seems to love them :D

Pray tell us your experience.

Philipines constitutes as foreign to me. I had to wait 3 months for them to finally give me an unlock code for my MDA Pro, despite paying for the code up front. Yes you are right it is illegal to charge for a pac code, but i was told i had to pay and it had to be charged to a credit card. the reason being that is could be used before the end of the minimum term and the only way they would do it for free was after the min term. with it taking to two days to port that would effectively mean the min length of contract would be the min term plus 2 days. This was ported out the very day out of min term and i am still trying to claim back the charge for the pac.

o2 on the other hand will not charge for issuing a pac at any time, the only charge will occur would be if the pac is used and the disconnection is effective before the end of the minimum term.

Don't get me wrong I have spoke to some good people at tbag, but most leave a lot to be desired, one of the things that has occured on several occasion is being given completly wrong infomation off cs staff who then never leave a note and you have no comeback.

Guest Markda2000
I've always spoken to UK staff (Scotland) when I've called T-Mob - different to my short experience with O2 when I always got through to our friends in India. Never been charged for a PAC code from them (or any network Operator for that matter). And as for the Customer Service experience, T-Mob aren't perfect, but their staff do seem to have more technical knowledge of their products. Unlike O2 who, as the story states, had no idea they were capping data speeds (and each time I called to complain, staff didn't have a clue what HSDPA was). I can't complain about my experience with T-Mob and out of all the operators I've been with, they are always the most helpful and seem to be actually bothered about getting your problem resolved. Sounds like you had a bad experience with T-Mob though.

o2 call centre in India - i don't thinks so, all staff uk based, that does not mean you have not spoke to an indian employee of o2 who happens to be in th uk though :D

Guest crazyc

Well, I now have HSDPA!

Just did a test at work (Lewisham way), and got 560kbit/sec from dsl reports and 725 from GPRS Monitor. Did it last night at home and got even higher. GPRS Moitor showed over 1000.

Yay. now I know my phone is OK, it is off to Dutty's Rom for me.

Guest Confucious

It's nice to know O2 actually listened and have done something about it - let's hope it's for everyone.

Have fun with your phone. :D

Guest Bartlettpsj

It does has HSDPA. The wierdest thing. After my previous post HSDPA 'H' started to become available in Milton Keynes (where I live). 'H' has been available in other places I have visited on my phone, but I only ever got 3G in MK. Is it a coincidence that 1 day later 'H' became available here too?

Anyways, I am pleased that all is working as planned, at last. Thanks O2. It was a painful experience. So close to getting Vodaphone!

That's great news- 384 is 3G speed so looks like you are getting full 3G. Does your phone have HSDPA? If so, is it enabled in your area?