The official Asus P750 'ask nedge' thread

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

Is there a link to a direct donwload of the english P750 rom?

Its just im not 100% sure im going to be keeping the hadset or not ,but id like to try the VGA rom first.

Is the english rom (not cooked) available for download ?

Thanks

Guest Joost39

You should to wait for the english rom to be dumped, before flashing with another rom. I´d like a copy too :D Its the best handset (all in one) I´ve ever owned...

Guest richair
You should to wait for the english rom to be dumped, before flashing with another rom. I´d like a copy too :D Its the best handset (all in one) I´ve ever owned...

Joost, seeing that you had a 614c as well, what would you think are the main advantages of the P750 over the 614c? At first I really wanted to like the 614c better, but I tend towards the Asus more right now. What are your thoughts about this?

Guest Joost39

richair, I only had the iPAQ 614C for 3-4 hours and in that short time I found that it had very big BT issues (filed an issue at HP and others are complaining too), the sound is low with the headset, it looks like a toyphone, its a little bigger, the A-gps is performing badly comparred to the SiRf lll chipset.

The ASUS is for me; a nice phone allround, BT works superb, the design is nice, and its very stable (depending on the cooked Rom y use) the cooked VGA rom is superb but has som bigtime memoryleak issues at the moment.

Guest stesa

hi joost , is the p750 better than the cruise ?

Guest Joost39

hi stesa, in most ways, but depending on how you use the phone in your everyday... I use it on work/private as phone, GPS, email, internet, exchangeserver - and they both get the job done!

Plus:

Cruise has the bigger screen 2,8".

Minus:

No hardware keyboard

400 mHz Processor is just a little to slow.

Guest dudegalea
Its really is :(

The hardware lock is amusing me greatly this afternoon. Strange, when you think it's the least high-tech feature on the device. :D

Guest Amplificator

Couldn't agree more on the P750.

I've had it for a few days, updated it with the VGA firmware and it looks great :D

I've also loaded a bunch of software on it and no compatibility problems as of yet.

Everything works really great. Switching between 2G and 3G is working as expected and GPS will get a fix pretty fast when standing outside.

The ergonomics is pretty good too. Some devices just feel awkvard holding in your hand when talking, but this one is really good.

The Asus P750 is a keeper, and rumors say that we might get an official WM6.1 upgrade during the summer, so one may wonder if they will include official VGA support. If not, then the VGA rom is working fine too, and will be shaped up a bit as time goes by.

Edited by Amplificator

Guest Amplificator

Oh, by the way, the joystick is pretty good too.

I was a bit concerned about that myself because I've had a few other deviced equipped with a joystick in the past and they've always been reather.. bad.

But this joystick is different. It's firm, but not too firm and it's easy to feel where your finger is located on the joystick.. It somehow gives great feedback compared to other joysticks.. May sound a bit weird, but I thought I'd mention it..

Edited by Amplificator

Guest dudegalea
are the 2.5 audio jacks standard? what's the deal with those?

They're reasonably standard for PDA-type devices, though far from universal.

At least the 2.5mm plug is a defined standard, so you can get adapters to convert a 3.5mm plug. Better than (for example) the HTC which requires a specialized adapter to plug into the mini-USB port.

Guest dudegalea

My thoughts on the P750 after an evening's usage.

It's a beauty. Absolutely fantastic. I haven't felt this good about a PDA since the Fuji Loox 720 (which was some time ago!). Not one feature of the unit has given me the 'ick' (if you know what I mean).

I played with TomTom Navigator 6. It's easy to configure; all the options are the obvious ones (Other NMEA device, GPS port). For some reason, it appears to work much better when set to 57600 baud than the default 4800. I'm a bit mystified by this, because it's an internal port and I didn't think the baud rate had any significance here (though I'm not an expert on WinMo internals, so I could be making dodgy assumptions about how it works). Anyway, with the port set to 57600, I can sit at my desk well away from the windows and get an 8 satellite signal. Very impressive.

There are a few cons, but they are not things that leap out at me. I've had to actively think about this to come up with them.

1. The screen is not quite as clear as the HTC TyTN II when using ClearType. That may be a bit of an unfair comparison as the screens are a different size, but the HTC is the last PDA I had so that's what I'm used to. (Of course, the VGA hack would probably make a difference here.)

2. Some of the built-in apps are a bit noisy. I have a dislike of apps that beep or ping at me for no particularly good reason, and without an obvious way of silencing them (without also switching off alarms etc.). The wireless manager and the GPS Catcher do this.

3. The joystick 'action' push is a bit noisier than I'd like. However, the workaround is to use the jog dial action push when quiet is required.

I think I need a screen protector soon! Anyone know of one that's available, or the right size? I'm happy to cut another one down to size, but I'd prefer to take the lazy option if possible.

Guest Sudhir K

hello there,

i m also a proud owner of the P750 although its been around Malaysia for around 3-4 months already.

just 2 weeks not much playing around but the device is amazing...1 chink though im not sure how to set the GPS at all on this thing, im in indonesia now so i couldnt test it out at home since i got it the morning that i was leaving and i wanted to charge it up properly for batt longevity reasons.

I havent installed any 3rd party GPS software like TomTom or Garmin Que yet till i try to figure out the settings on the set already...Pls help me with the software and GPS hardware port settings and speed i have tried all sorts of combinations still cant lock on to a satellite in indonesia. Another thing does GPS work inside a single storey house to give your location?

Thanks.

Guest timeline
have tried at least 4-5 cooked roms but havent overclocked my device, the speed is nice - better than my HTC Touch Cruise, TT6 runs very smoothly....

Hi

is there a forum that has dedicated asus roms, like xda? In xda they only have random threads about the p750, so it's hard to keep track what is available...

Guest timeline
The Asus P750 is a keeper, and rumors say that we might get an official WM6.1 upgrade during the summer, so one may wonder if they will include official VGA support. If not, then the VGA rom is working fine too, and will be shaped up a bit as time goes by.

I'd guess that asus had some strange contract that said they could get these screens cheaper if they only used it as QVGA. Thus they are not allowed to enable VGA, the maker can enjoy scales of economy. Kinda like the Qualcomm - HTC crap.

Guest JD1973
The Asus P750 is a keeper, and rumors say that we might get an official WM6.1 upgrade during the summer

More than a rumour I'd say, see official Microsoft announcement at

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2...4-01WM61PR.mspx

At bottom there is

ASUS: New phones including the P320, ZX1, P560, M536 and updates for the P527, P750, M930

Pretty much makes it definite in my view.

Edited by JD1973

Guest Amplificator
hello there,

i m also a proud owner of the P750 although its been around Malaysia for around 3-4 months already.

just 2 weeks not much playing around but the device is amazing...1 chink though im not sure how to set the GPS at all on this thing, im in indonesia now so i couldnt test it out at home since i got it the morning that i was leaving and i wanted to charge it up properly for batt longevity reasons.

I havent installed any 3rd party GPS software like TomTom or Garmin Que yet till i try to figure out the settings on the set already...Pls help me with the software and GPS hardware port settings and speed i have tried all sorts of combinations still cant lock on to a satellite in indonesia. Another thing does GPS work inside a single storey house to give your location?

Thanks.

The default settings in the Asus official roms is:

Software = None

Hardware = COM2

Baud Rate = 4800

And the settings in Sorg's VGA rom:

Programs = COM2

Hardware = COM5

Baud Rate = 57600

Both settings work and havn't really noticed anything different between them.

I can't get a fix inside my house, but when I move outside it's get all bars filled in Garmin and TomTom and then I can move inside again (though it will loose some sattalites but keep the connection)

The first fix took a minute or so, and after that it is always pretty fast.

Remember to update A-GPS using GPS Catcher, that might help you get a faster fix.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.