The official Asus P750 'ask nedge' thread

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

Guest dudegalea
eXpansys are having the same troubles as I am getting the 'H' on P750 where they know they have good coverage

Given that my P750 came from eXpansys, and it works fine with HSDPA, I think the problem must lie with the SIM, or some T-Mo config for your account.

Guest guybrush

Thanks for your input everyone, especially Joost and dudegalea.

I am sold on this phone. However, I need to get something clarified: Can I use shortcuts the same way they work in WM Personal?

Examples:

1. I now have shortcuts to speed dial my friends by pressing and holding one to two numeric buttons. For example, pressing and holding "3" dials a friend, while pressing and holding "53" would dial another friend. Can this be done with WM Professional? With this Asus P750?

2. I also have shortcuts to text my friends. Same idea as above: pressing and holding "31" would open a message and place a specific contact in the “To” field. All I need to do is start typing the message. Can this be done with WM Professional? With this Asus P750?

3. Finally, I have shortcuts to programs such Calendar, Calculator, Browser etc.. Same idea: Pressing and holding "11" would open the calculator. Pressing and holding "14" would open the calendar. Can this be done with WM Professional? With this Asus P750?

This is really the only sticking point for me. I need one handed operation but also must be able to get to I want with three clicks max: 1- Unlock, 2- press button, 3-press and hold button, and Voila I get to call, text, or open whatever program I want. If the Asus P750 does this, then I am sold. If not, if there is available third party software that does this, then please do recommend.

Guybrush

Guest Paul (MVP)

I'm confused, when you say 'press and hold 11' what do you mean?

Mine should be here either today or Monday, so i'll let you know!

P

Guest rireed
Given that my P750 came from eXpansys, and it works fine with HSDPA, I think the problem must lie with the SIM, or some T-Mo config for your account.

Dead on the money! :D Brian in T-Mo tech support enabled "Web 'n' Walk Plus" (costs an extra 12.50 pm) for free just today as a test. Instant 'H'.

My advice to all is don't get the "Smartphone Connect from T-Mobile" bundle from eXpansys, which claims "HSDPA" and "up to 1.8 Mbps", unless this gets straightened out favourably.

I will post updates.

Richard

Guest guybrush
I'm confused, when you say 'press and hold 11' what do you mean?

Mine should be here either today or Monday, so i'll let you know!

P

Sorry for the confusion. When I press and hold "11", I am basically pressing 1, lifting my finger, and pressing and holding 1 again. Basically holding the last number. I am surprised that this is not something that the WM community is familar with. It was (and still is) the major selling point for my use of WM Standard.

Guybrush

Guest dudegalea
Sorry for the confusion. When I press and hold "11", I am basically pressing 1, lifting my finger, and pressing and holding 1 again. Basically holding the last number. I am surprised that this is not something that the WM community is familar with. It was (and still is) the major selling point for my use of WM Standard.

Guybrush

I don't use mine as a (voice) phone, so I'm not really familiar with these aspects of it. Anyway...

I can hit Phone (hardware button), then Speed Dial (screen button). A list of speed dial numbers appears. Hitting the screen button for one of them dials the number.

My guess is that the availability of screen buttons in WM Pro alleviates the need for the button-holding stuff.

Guest Paul (MVP)

Incidentally, on PPC I believe you can only assign contacts to speed dials not apps... I imagine the P750 will be the same i'm afraid!

P

Guest guybrush
Incidentally, on PPC I believe you can only assign contacts to speed dials not apps... I imagine the P750 will be the same i'm afraid!

P

Yeah that's what I was afraid of. I really liked the idea of having a numeric keypad on a WM Pro. But if I have to open Contacts, click on Speed Dial, then select the person I am looking for, I would have to be looking at the screen and paying attention to where I as pressing. Also, since I am a chronic texter, I need to have the ability to text people on the fly without having to look them up in contacts, then pressing a couple of buttons to text them. I was hoping that the P750 allowed me to do something like this.

Guest Paul (MVP)

I actually often have one of the 2 home screen soft keys set to 'new SMS', and then I just populate the details in there. So that's 1 press into a new SMS, then just pick the person for the to box and i'm away? On WM6.1 at least it autocompletes as you type their name too.

Do you really need more than 9 regular speed dials then?

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

Yay! My P750 (from HK) just arrived!

:D

Gave up waiting for UK stock and ordered a HK one. Cheaper with a bunch of freebies, only difference is chinese as well as english on keys, but I don't mind that one bit!

P

Guest dudegalea
Yay! My P750 (from HK) just arrived!

:D

Gave up waiting for UK stock and ordered a HK one. Cheaper with a bunch of freebies, only difference is chinese as well as english on keys, but I don't mind that one bit!

P

I think that sounds quite cool! :(

Guest richair

Good issue you brought up. I agree with you that the press-and-hold on WM Standard is extremely handy. Anyone got a good work-around?

Edited by richair

Guest Paul (MVP)

Argh, stylus missing from the (sealed) box for some reason!

Also, it turned off and won't turn on now. DOH!

/me puts on charge for a while and hopes that fixes it!

P

Guest liamc

Slight change of direction.

Does the P750 have enough space in the back to fit a dual SIM adaptor?

Having read everything here it seems to do everything I would wish, but I only wish to carry one phone. My work SIM is 2G and is not enabled for data, so fitting my own personal SIM would be handy.

Ta.

Guest guybrush
I actually often have one of the 2 home screen soft keys set to 'new SMS', and then I just populate the details in there. So that's 1 press into a new SMS, then just pick the person for the to box and i'm away? On WM6.1 at least it autocompletes as you type their name too.

Do you really need more than 9 regular speed dials then?

P

I sort of got used to having more than 9 regular speed dials. Having 99 “shortcuts” that include speed dials, speed texting, and applications has been very useful. I realize that I could have a shortcut for applications on the PPC home page, and I am therefore content to see that go. However, I cannot see myself getting used to a “general purpose” SMS shortcut which I have to populate the “to” field. It means that I have to scroll to find the person (or otherwise type a couple of letters in WM6.1 before it auto-completes). Too slow for my use.

I was hoping that, given the P750’s numeric keypad design, it would have the ability to have such shortcuts. I guess I will keep searching for a third party application that does this for the PPC (probably hard to find given that there are very few numeric pad PPC phones out there).

Guybrush

Guest richair
I was hoping that, given the P750’s numeric keypad design, it would have the ability to have such shortcuts. I guess I will keep searching for a third party application that does this for the PPC (probably hard to find given that there are very few numeric pad PPC phones out there).

Maybe it's worth to check out forums on the HTC Touch Dual, has been around for some time, maybe this issue has arisen for the HTC TD as well. When I have more time, i'll do a search.

Guest Joost39

Sorry guybrush cant comment on your questions... dont use quickdial - use Voicecommander to dial and open applications - works nicely..

Guest Paul (MVP)

Loving it!

Although, one weird thing, it won't charge from my HTC chargers!

Charging via USB - fine, not tried car or Asus charger yet...

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

Now reverted back to QVGA for the time being, want to check some things :D

Shame the regular camera app isn't included with the VGA ROM!

P

Guest rireed
Dead on the money! :D Brian in T-Mo tech support enabled "Web 'n' Walk Plus" (costs an extra 12.50 pm) for free just today as a test. Instant 'H'.

My advice to all is don't get the "Smartphone Connect from T-Mobile" bundle from eXpansys, which claims "HSDPA" and "up to 1.8 Mbps", unless this gets straightened out favourably.

I will post updates.

Richard

This problem has been fixed by T-Mobile for now. Here's a link to a thread with the explanation:

http://www.modaco.com/content/forum/267345...t-really-exist/

Thanks,

Richard

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.