Disabling "Static Navigation" on GPSr chip?

Guest Mojoski

Guest JeepinCalifornia
If you could make screen shots of bad SirfTech behaviour it would help troubleshooting.

BR

Dennis

Sure! What kinds of screens shots would be most helpful? Any particular menus or areas?

Thanks for your continuing support. :D

Guest nloding

I've not done any GPS hacking yet (looking forward to it though). Is this a limitation of the chip itself? For instance, I already have an external Holux bluetooth GPS device. Is that something that would support what you're talking about? ... Not sure I'd ever use it, but curiosity always gets me.

Guest JeepinCalifornia
I've not done any GPS hacking yet (looking forward to it though). Is this a limitation of the chip itself? For instance, I already have an external Holux bluetooth GPS device. Is that something that would support what you're talking about? ... Not sure I'd ever use it, but curiosity always gets me.

It's with the [GPS] SiRF chip in the device. In this case, our BJIIs actually have a great GPS chip, one that Garmin uses, even; but as of yet, there doesn't seem to be a way to disable Static Navigation on the BJII (slap on the wrist for Samsung and the lack of GPS tools on the device), so the GPS is nearly useless at slow speeds.

If you're a BJII owner and haven't played with the GPS, try it first with all the programs you intend to use, before adding the hacks. It seems that there are some BJs that need the hack and some that don't... And, if you can simply walk around with your B.T. GPS device and track your movement, Static Navigation is probably disabled, or it's smart enough to turn it off(?).

Dennis - I'm working on those screen shots. :D

Edited by JeepinCalifornia

Guest DennisGr

Unfortunatly on the Smartphone platform most SirfTech spinner controls doesn't work properly. Selected values are not recognized by the program. The most critical effect making it impossible to use the Switch to NMEA dialog. Executing a factory reset in the Initialize Data Source dialog is one alternative way of getting back to NMEA on most devices. Or use v2.16 where Switch to NMEA dialog works also for Smartphone.

Since sending of commands to the BJII doesn't seem to work (havn't got around to that yet) you are not affected so this is mostly for other Smartphone users who tried SirfTech recently.

BR

Dennis

Guest john redcorn

So, question: I've been following this thread for a while since I'm somewhat interested in starting geocaching.

Since there hasn't been a fix found for static-nav yet, would I have any trouble setting up a bluetooth gps device on this phone to appear as a comport that gpsvp could use?

I have the comport hack installed and would like to keep my internal gps on com4, could I get a bluetooth gps and have it show up as com5 or soemthing else?

What would be a good bluetooth gps that's the lowest $$, no static-nav and maybe possibly could take regular batteries instead of being rechargeable?

Edited by john redcorn

Guest DennisGr

Now I have solved the Smartphone spinner control problem in SirfTech v2.17 so they work as expected. Also enabled saving of log files and communication troubleshooting files in Smartphone \Storage\Application Data. Please send me any files with names like COMx....txt saved automatically by SirfTech to hopefully better understand what is the problem with sending data.

http://w5.nuinternet.com/s660100031/SirfTech.htm

Best Regards

Dennis Gröning

Guest JeepinCalifornia

Dennis - once again, thank you for your continuing effort and support for we lowly BlackjackII users!

I've had enough time to try out your latest two versions; and now finally have some time to post a suitable update...

The first change I see is character-boxes (or whatever) instead of "real data" as SirdTech starts. These boxes are consistent through each of these start up screens, in each of the two latest versions:

SirfTechBoxes.bmp.jpg

As far as I know, this mainscreen looks normal; but here's a picture, just in case (actually, the time is six hours ahead, I'm located in Pacific Daylight Time; perhaps I'll turn on my Garmin to make sure the correct info is being sent):

SirfTechMainscreen.bmp.jpg

I followed your previous directions (post #23, above)...

In "NMEA Communication" the latest ("BJII") version's screen started with a more accurate looking Baudrate, and COM 4 is good to see, of course (pic shows: 57600; COM4):

SirfTechCom.bmp.jpg

I could not do anything on that screen except select "Close" (below "Find Baudrate," as seen in the picture above) or "Open," to open a Log file (as seen below). I did this with no problems and, was able to rename the Log file. It also appeared as though I could choose the save location, but I didn't want to push my luck. :D (I confirmed the saving of the Log file and will attempt to attch it to this post.) I used the LFK "OK" to exit this screen:

SirfTechCom2.bmp.jpg

The screen opens looking like this in "Navigation Initialization"; I still could not get it to "Snap Start" or "Hot Start." The top-half of the screen shows no numbers, save the channels. The bottom-half (and what looks like a greyed out text box?) is empty as well (before and after attempting "Snap/Hot Start"):

SirfTechNav.bmp.jpgSirfTechNav2.bmp.jpg

Continuing on to "Set Serial Port," I was able to select 57,600 but then selecting "Set" did nothing to the timer(s), even after waiting a short period (20-30 seconds). I also tried lowering the Baudrates, but those did not initiate any changes either. Selecting "=Baud" also had no affect:

SirfTechSetserial.bmp.jpg

Here's a shot of the Homescreen and Graphs after all that. The time is still six hours ahead. And except for the initial green spike when the program started, the graph lines will consistently stay equal (or so they seem to show anytime I've happened to look):

SirfTechMainscreen2.bmp.jpgSirfTechGraph.bmp.jpg

Alrighty, Dennis! I don't know if that'll help you or not, but thanks for trying!

o||||o

-Aaron

080621132452_Jeeps_Sirf_Log.txt

Guest DennisGr

New SirfTech version 2.19.

We don't want to see the 'GetCommProperties 1' error message. Now SirfTech waits a little more after opening the com port before calling GetCommProperties.

UTC spells out Universal Time Coordinated, i.e. not local time but Greenwich time. There are things missing in the main screen. After HDOP should follow lines with latitude and longitude. On examining your log file I discovered that the format was not the usual NMEA standard so now the parsing is a bit more liberal to accept a more free format.

The com port and baudrate is remembered in the registry after succesfully receiving messages. Are the arrows always missing from the com port and baudrate spinner controls?

When the com port is opened, you are not supposed to use the com port and baudrate spinner controls or the 'Find Port & Baud', 'Find Baud' or Open buttons so they are disabled and greyed out.

Next time in the Navigation Initialization dialog, try turning power off and then on again after a second. That should execute a snap start and hopefully give text for populating the empty text boxes and a safe baudrate in the bottom readonly text box.

The graph should be a little more interesting to watch now after actually getting the latitude and longitude data to be converted to northing and easting values. Before trying the new version, have a look at the Graph Options dialog and tell me what number the top Pixel min and max values are limited to. I have guessed 200 for the new initialisation values. With the new version and a good fix, use the Zero button. That adjusts your Northing, Easting and Altitude zero values to your location. Then use Save.

Also I would be interested in studying communication troubleshooting files from a smartphone. Soft reset the smartphone. In the communication dialog open all com ports 0 to 9 one after another. Save the files to PC before opening your regular com port again.

The files are named COM....txt and placed in the \Storage\Application Data folder.

Thank you for helping out with troubleshooting. It really helps.

Best Regards

Dennis Gröning

Guest JeepinCalifornia

-Yes, the spinner controls in Communication have always been missing the arrows.

-The top graph pixel values (SVsInFix) read 186 min/max. The top three are 186, the rest decline as you move down the list.

I'll try the latest and get some files to you...

Guest christophe75

Garmin take several seconds to focus the current point.

But you have some other software going faster :

Example : http://www.rungps.net (free trial version available)

If you use Gamin, you need to walk some meters before to move on your map,

gpsTest, gpsUtil same.

RunGps is a software to compute the walk that you do during the day. So you have a faster display.

Guest DennisGr

A new version 2.20 of SirfTech is available.

Can anyone confirm if the 'GetCommProperties 1' error message is gone?

Are Graph Options Pixel min/max scaling good for BJII?

Have the arrows on the Communication dialog Comm Port and Baudrate spinners come back?

Does sending commands to the GPS chip on BJII work now after the change in v2.18?

Does the main screen display latitude and longitude values after change in v2.19?

Does saving of communication troubleshooting files COM...txt in Smartphone \Storage\Application Data work after change in v2.19?

Best Regards

Dennis

Guest gtg465x

Using Garmin Mobile XT I noticed that if I run for about 5 seconds then static navigation is disabled for several minutes. Then it re-enables.

Edited by gtg465x

Guest meandaddy

I would like to add my thanks Dennis.

I am running 2.20 and still get the error messages in the following order:

GetCommProperties1 (hit OK)

GetCommProperties2 (hit OK)

GetCommState(hit OK)

GetCommTimeout(hit OK)

Then I get the mainscreen.

The arrows on the comm port and baud rate are there.

Have a great day

Guest JeepinCalifornia

Hi Dennis. As always, thanks for the effort. Family matters have kept me away, but I've finally some time to comment on your latest...

-Opening GetComm errors still exist.

-There is now latitude and longitude on the main screen, but half of the text line below the line for the West coord's is cutoff.

-The top and bottom graphs are a bit too close to their respective screen edges, but the overall lines are spaced a little more equally.

-Spinner controls have not come back in Communication.

-Attempted to Open Log, said it confirmed a Text file, but there was no option to name it like the last version, NOR could I even find the file later while browsing my device. I could have missed it somewhere, but it was in plain sight last time...

-Same results as before when opening Communication; and same results when opening Navigation and attempting to Snap/Hot start...

-Same results as before when attempting to set Serial Port: can select Baud (spinner controls working) but there is no change after selecting "Set."

Thanks, man!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...