The official HTC X7510 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Menneisyys
the pocessor power is a small part of the business result

I agree it's not the most important in (strictly) business usage; however, HTC could still have put in the latest-and-greatest CPU because, then, the device would have been substantially more versatile (hardware H.264 decoding support, better performance, better battery life etc). HP, Samsung and GigaByte already do so (HP and Samsung even before teh release of the new Athena).

EDIT: BTW, this is one of the (several) reasons I'm pretty much disappointed with HTC. They don't even bother to put the latest and considerably better technology into their handsets, while most of the other manufacturers (HP, Samsung, GigaByte or, as far as alternative OS'es are concerned, Nokia) do. They indeed need a kick in the butt so that they start to take things more seriously.

Guest Menneisyys
Even HTC doesn't fully understand the power of this phone. I never seen it, in HTC area in a fair, connected to a video beam, used with a mouse or a full size KB (@ Mennisyys a regular USB KB and mouse are fully supported by ATHENA USB) for remote desktop usage

Well, most people use BT mice / keyboard like in the i-mate remote desktop access demo at MWC (see my report if interested).

Guest l3v5y
I agree it's not the most important in (strictly) business usage; however, HTC could still have put in the latest-and-greatest CPU because, then, the device would have been substantially more versatile (hardware H.264 decoding support, better performance, better battery life etc). HP, Samsung and GigaByte already do so (HP and Samsung even before teh release of the new Athena).

EDIT: BTW, this is one of the (several) reasons I'm pretty much disappointed with HTC. They don't even bother to put the latest and considerably better technology into their handsets, while most of the other manufacturers (HP, Samsung, GigaByte or, as far as alternative OS'es are concerned, Nokia) do. They indeed need a kick in the butt so that they start to take things more seriously.

At least the older technology works and is harder to mess up in terms of licensing, and hardware knowledge (Kaiser + Drivers......)

Guest Menneisyys
At least the older technology works and is harder to mess up in terms of licensing, and hardware knowledge (Kaiser + Drivers......)

Well, I don't think the PXA310/320 is that much incompatible with the PXA270... There're several PXA310/320-based phones / PDA's out there already (iPAQ 110/210; Samsung i780 etc.) and none of them have real problems.

Guest sergiopi
Well, many people use BT mice / keyboard like in the i-mate remote desktop access demo at MWC (see my report if interested).

I read your reports and your blog also, and you are one of the best writers about WM devices IMO. Your articles are always interesting and with deep analisys of the fact/problem/sw.

Because of your knowledge and your experience you will agree about having a small mouse in the pocket, no batteries needed and this is MUCH better.

I can find also USB Kb in any office or meeting room, BT mouse and Kb need POWER, aren't so easy to find, and there is a STRONG difference using in a train a 5 inch monitor or a 2.8 monitor for remote desktop access (and mouse IS neeeded). RDP isn't for 2.8 monitors, and isn't VGA resolution the problem!

Believe me: connectors (Sound, video, svideo, Vga, Mouse) make the difference. BT is still crappy, and battery power is important!

[OT]

Interesting, I am member since 2003 and I am still a newbie :( One of the oldest newbies! :D

[/OT]

Edited by sergiopi

Guest l3v5y
Well, I don't think the PXA310/320 is that much incompatible with the PXA270... There're several PXA310/320-based phones / PDA's out there already (iPAQ 110/210; Samsung i780 etc.) and none of them have real problems.

I agree they could have used a faster processor, perhaps even the Qualcomm MSM 7201A (as found in the Diamond/Raphael), but the PXA270 is still being used alot, and is still a powerful processor...

Guest Menneisyys
I read your reports and your blog also, and you are one of the best writers about WM devices IMO. Your articles are always interesting and with deep analisys of the fact/problem/sw.

and there is a STRONG difference using in a train a 5 inch monitor or a 2.8 monitor for remote desktop access (and mouse IS neeeded). RDP isn't for 2.8 monitors, and isn't VGA resolution the problem!

Agreed - 2.8" is a bit too small for remote desktop control. (The i-mate folks, for example, recommended using it on an external XGA monitor with models that do have an XGA digital output - unfortunately, they exclude the Qualcomm-based handhelds.)

Guest Menneisyys
I agree they could have used a faster processor, perhaps even the Qualcomm MSM 7201A (as found in the Diamond/Raphael), but the PXA270 is still being used alot, and is still a powerful processor...

It's like putting a Merom into a notebook instead of the latest-technology and in ever respect better Penryn ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_2#Penryn ). No doubt the Merom is usable but is still significantly worse than Penryn. On the notebook field, there's fierce competition (unlike on Windows Mobile, unfortunately, where HTC has almost full monopoly); hence, all manufacturers try to put the most advanced stuff in their notebooks. HTC doesn't - they still stick with the outdated architecture because, having almost a full monopoly, they aren't forced to compete.

Guest Pawel062

hehe, anyone else thing i should get this so i can make nice roms for it. oh wait i already made 2 roms for it :D I should get paul up with a modded rom since im making all my current roms using the x7510 rom. i wonder if his device has a newer version than the one i have. oh well i'll found out soon.

Guest l3v5y
hehe, anyone else thing i should get this so i can make nice roms for it. oh wait i already made 2 roms for it :D I should get paul up with a modded rom since im making all my current roms using the x7510 rom. i wonder if his device has a newer version than the one i have. oh well i'll found out soon.

Where did you get your ROM version from?

Guest l3v5y
Most of us just get it from Pawel....

I'm wondering how Pawel has had the X7510 ROm for so long! I might get an Athena just so I can try some AP ROMs :D

Guest l3v5y
Each one just gets better. AP5 is great:)

Damn it! I wish I wasn't still at school... Then I could "earn money" and "buy things" like "adults" what ever they are... Teenage life FTW!

Guest Caminante

Is possible to put the Blackbeery aplication? (Sorry , my english is very poor)

Edited by Caminante

Guest Menneisyys
Is possible to put the Blackbeery aplication? (Sorry , my english is very poor)

It is (assuming you meant the native WinMo BB client), as with any other WinMo handset.

• 2 weeks later...
For others... .take your choice.... £656 quoted by Paul - terrible price, overprice product for what it does! Much more decent, light weight laptops out there and you could even get a SIM FREE phone with change :D

There certainly is a niche for this device, and for instance it's Jason Langridge's demo device. However with the new upcoming and almost equal powerful HTC Touch Pro it's more difficult to choose. For presentations and notebook replacement on the road it's great.

Guest l3v5y
There certainly is a niche for this device, and for instance it's Jason Langridge's demo device. However with the new upcoming and almost equal powerful HTC Touch Pro it's more difficult to choose. For presentations and notebook replacement on the road it's great.

The far larger screen of this makes it better for certain uses... But, the Touch Pro has a more powerful CPU, and I think more RAM.

Guest l3v5y
Gimme a Touch Pro anyday methinks! That said, if you need the big screen, then the X7510 is the one to have!

P

I think most people here would accept a Touch Pro! :( (and, I think it has an output for screens, so big screen is no longer an issue :D)

Guest Noger
(and, I think it has an output for screens, so big screen is no longer an issue :D )

The Touch Pro has a TV out, the Advantage adds in VGA out as well. Arguably more use to the mobile pro ? And how many LCD monitors do you know with composite in ? Although Composite to VGA convertors are easily had, it is just extra expense.

I am not convinced a Touch Pro would replace a notebook for the "daytrip / overnighter" scenario. At a pinch the 5" screen on the Advantage could edit documents with a BT keyboard such as the Stowaway.

Have been trying to use my Kaiser as a notebook replacement for the last couple of weeks, and the 2.8" screen is just too small for my 40 year old eyes. WinMo 6.1 as a "PDA" works very well, and can do pretty much everything I would want to do on a Notebook - except the document editing (although I could use Softmaker if required) so the idea is good. But they keyboard and screen are not the best for this.

Lot of money though.

Guest l3v5y

I've just realised that this is now on sale in the UK... That leads me to the question of have you tried the release ROM? If so, what is the battery life like? And, are there any changes software wise?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.