MDA Vario IV pics and specs

Guest CongoJoe

Guest tsutton
Theres also an extra row of keys compared to the tytn2

Yep, which are the numbers. That will make typing far easier!!

Like most of you here, I too have 18 months contact with T-Mobile and I can't wait for it to expire so I can get this sexy phone. :D

Guest Boinng

My Vodafone contract is up in November, by which time I suspect they'll have this badged up as the V1715 or whatever... I'm happy to stick with the Kaiser until they're able to offer this cheap.

Guest CongoJoe
Does anyone have a spec comparison with the sony XPERIA X1 not sure whether to purchase HTC Raphael or the xperia X1 .......help

Screen

X1 = 3" 800x480

V4 = 2.8" 640x480

Apart from that theyre pretty similar. Both are gpu accelerated, both have hsupa, i believe both use the qualcom 520mhz cpu.

According to this the x1 is slightly taller but weighs less.

Personally i prefer the HTCs interface.

X1 white paper

Guest Syphon Filter

These devices cant land soon enough as far as I am concerned. The X1 looks great and the additional screen real estate could make it a winner. Other than that...they're pretty much the same from what I can see. Tough call, wait until the X1 lands or just go for the HTC.

@Paul:

When do you think you will manage to get some hands on time with this new HTC device? Can't wait for some hands on opinions!

Guest shootydogthing
Screen

X1 = 3" 800x480

V4 = 2.8" 640x480

Apart from that theyre pretty similar. Both are gpu accelerated, both have hsupa, i believe both use the qualcom 520mhz cpu.

According to this the x1 is slightly taller but weighs less.

Personally i prefer the HTCs interface.

X1 white paper

The Raphael has Tv-Out, don't think the X1 has that... and it has the accelrometer.

And I also took my contract out in January :D

I might have been able to make up the difference of an ebay of my kaiser, but I need a new computer now too and that's more urgent. DAMNIT!

Guest Syphon Filter
I think price will be the decider.

I cant see many of us getting the X1 for free.

Well, I'm still well within my contract so I think I'll be getting this offline (as I did with my TyTN II). I'll probably sell my TyTN II on ebay or something and get the Raphael (Touch Pro?) offline (any chance of a group buy from expansys or something?).

Guest Boinng
I think price will be the decider.

I cant see many of us getting the X1 for free.

Very true. SE are obviously gunning for the "premium" market with the X1, leveraging their much more recognised brand name, posh metal casing etc. It'll be pricier than the HTC branded version of the Raphael, let alone the operator branded versions like the Vario IV etc.

My branded "V1615" was a £50 upgrade on Vodafone and the Raphael might just possibly be the same; the X1 will never be pitched at that level even assuming Voda carry it.

Guest penguin
1350mAh battery = win

It'll look quite fat as it's nearly as thick as the Vario III but is smaller in other dimensions, but let it be said... I WANT ONE NOW!

:D

P

I WANT ONE NOW TOO!!

Good job my contract ends in september! :(

Guest andrewkeith5
When this finally arrives in the UK, I'll be finally waving goodbye to orange. Woohoo!

Congratulations! Join the (rather massive now) club!

I'd be intersted in a group buy....but otherwise I'll probably be getting one around the end of the year...The main problem I have is that most of my money at the moment is being ploughed into going to uni in september... oh well:D

I'd personally only even consider the X1 if it didnt have sony ericsson propiertary stuff all over it, like memory stick mainly

Guest nuttyphilt

And I think the X1 has a 3.5mm headphone output whereas the Raphael doesn't. I think it's going to be the Raphael for me...

BTW, where's the info about the 1350mah battery coming from? I see it in the first post but I don't see it referenced anywhere else... :D

Edited by nuttyphilt

Guest Menneisyys
i'm also worried about internal storage - i can't stand the stuff, especially when you can't upgrade it with memory cards. i can't stand being restricted to a certain amount of memory (a la iphone), and like to be able to organise my stuff onto different memory cards. PLEASE, if you have internal memory, let us use our own as well (micro sd preferrably)...and don't lose that tilt mechanism

It does have a microSD slot...

Guest Menneisyys
These devices cant land soon enough as far as I am concerned. The X1 looks great and the additional screen real estate could make it a winner. Other than that...they're pretty much the same from what I can see. Tough call, wait until the X1 lands or just go for the HTC.

@Paul:

When do you think you will manage to get some hands on time with this new HTC device? Can't wait for some hands on opinions!

Also, the X1 will have a worse keyboard if the Vario IV has the same quality keyboard as the Universal / kaiser.

Guest WearTheFoxHat

I could be up for a group purchase. Can flog my TyTN II on fleabay or donate it to the management!

Keep me in the loop.

Guest Mikeyb50
Also, the X1 will have a worse keyboard if the Vario IV has the same quality keyboard as the Universal / kaiser.

Looking at the Vario, I would prefer the HTC branded design as it's sharper in looks (don't like the rounded ends on the Vario IV), also the sony X1 in black is no way as good looking as the silver and the HTC is black is much more slick than the x1 in black. 3.5mm jack would of been nice also it would be nice if the Raphael has a dedicated camera button which the diamond dosen't. Just got a Jawbone 2 headset with nice diamond effect surface which would be great with the HTC diamond. My Tytn II was great so HTC has me over the sony ericsson X1 but it'll be tough to call. Xperia or Raphael........Hmmmmmmm

Guest ptamblin

This is when I am glad I only entered a 12 month contract last November, I am really put off by 18 month contracts. Even though I had to pay a little bit more each month for minutes and texts the overal benefits are huge. I enjoy having the freedom and flexibility as great handsets like this are coming out so quickly.

The phone looks fantastic but still have my reservations about the full qwerty, and having to switch it round to landscape... even though this looks alot quicker that on the Kieser. very interested to find out about the update to the Touch Dual, and if it comes with all the features of the diamond or do they undercut it like the Dual.

Guest J273

Do you think this will be released the same time as the diamond then?

I was going for that .....May go for this instead though :D

Guest Syphon Filter
Do you think this will be released the same time as the diamond then?

I was going for that .....May go for this instead though :D

Expansys are quoting the Diamond as coming into stock on the 9th of June.

Paul reckons the new Vario will hit next month on T-Mobile too so depending the state of your contracts/upgrade times you might be able to get it on T-Mobile. I dont know when the Diamond will be out on T-Mo though.

I'm almost certainly going wait for the HTC branded version. I definitely like the squarer corners more.

Guest TBFL
And I think the X1 has a 3.5mm headphone output whereas the Raphael doesn't.

No dedicated headphone jack is one of my biggest complaints with the Kaiser and biggest selling points for me for the X1.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.