MDA Vario IV pics and specs

Guest CongoJoe

Guest Syphon Filter
No dedicated headphone jack is one of my biggest complaints with the Kaiser and biggest selling points for me for the X1.

Yeah but if you get the wired headset you can use any headphones you want. But it does tie up the extUSB connector unless you get one of fancy dan splitter things.

Guest Perfectionist
eGPS

3.1MP Camera with flash

FM Radio

microSD expansion

1350mAh battery

Raphael: 51x99x17mm

Is this spec genuine and confirmed ??

Why did they only put aGPS in the Diamond and a Camera without Flash ?!

Good to see a bigger battery and microSD slot .....

Guest mikeeey

i waited here staring at the 1st post waiting for the picture to appear, i then realized there was no picture, HAHAHA.

as a kaiser owner this makes me mad, lol, im not even sure how im supposed to feel.

Guest Christopher Woods

If there's going to be a goup buy for the Vario 4, I'm definitely interested in knowing more... I thought the Kaiser looked nice when I first saw it but quickly realised its limitations (and decided against buying it), I'm glad I didn't now!

I'll be VERY KEEN to see some video reviews and more in-depth technical info - particularly if it covers stuff like video acceleration (we all know about the ImageOn debacle, I'm sure) - if it outperforms my Vario 2, I'd be strongly tempted to take part in a group buy, because that thing looks like a hot piece of sexy tech right there!

Guest Ovie
Sizeasy is your friend.

http://sizeasy.com/page/size_comparison/13...-vs-HTC-Diamond

@Paul:

Might it be worth putting the sizeasy link in the first post?

Wow it's smaller than I thought!

Thanks to the disappointment of the Diamond (not having external memory) I think it's going to be between the X1 and this. I think the Raphael looks a lot nicer, but the X1 probably has some more advantages such as higher resolution and 3.5mm jack.

Are the cameras the same?

Guest WILBUR
No official word on the HTC device, but look for the T-Mo device coming in JULY! :D

(three months before the Xperia!)

P

hmmm - fingers crossed but i'm not holding my breath - i remember the same thing happening last year while i waited for the Vario III where the July date slipped to august and then became start of september (and actually also the year before waiting for the Vario II!).... Even the press release says "end of summer"... won't stop me praying for July though...

on a separate note I always insist on 12 months contracts - end up paying more but it is so worth it when last year's handsets become obsolete so quickly!

Guest finisterre

Looks pretty nice, but I'm really gonna miss the hardware soft keys and the Windows/OK button and scroll wheel on this - having got so used to them on my Vario II & III. I like to use the buttonsa for pretty much everything rather than the touch screen.

Guest Transform
This is when I am glad I only entered a 12 month contract last November, I am really put off by 18 month contracts. Even though I had to pay a little bit more each month for minutes and texts the overal benefits are huge. I enjoy having the freedom and flexibility as great handsets like this are coming out so quickly.

The phone looks fantastic but still have my reservations about the full qwerty, and having to switch it round to landscape... even though this looks alot quicker that on the Kieser. very interested to find out about the update to the Touch Dual, and if it comes with all the features of the diamond or do they undercut it like the Dual.

ditto, i took my vario 3 contract out at the same time. there seems to be some confusion as to the official specs of the device however once a review becomes available i would be very interested as the device looks so much nicer that the vario 3 in terms of visual aspects.

Guest Boinng
Looks pretty nice, but I'm really gonna miss the hardware soft keys and the Windows/OK button and scroll wheel on this - having got so used to them on my Vario II & III. I like to use the buttonsa for pretty much everything rather than the touch screen.

Agreed, I think that's a real backwards step - although the actual qwerty keyboard is better, it looks like a lot of the more common functions will actually be less easy to access on this device (although I'm sure HTC would argue we should be jabbing at the Manila interface on the touchscreen for all the rest).

Edited by Boinng

Guest shootydogthing
Well if this is out not the Vario 5 should be out next year when im due to upgrade :D

Yeap, me too. The one thing stopping me from hitting my head against the wall is the fact that I will be out of contract just as the Vario V is coming out. Might well go for a 12 month contract then though....

Guest CongoJoe

I can see how the lack of buttons on the front improves the looks of the device.

But i really cant understand why they removed the camera button... very odd

Guest Kimbie
Yeap, me too. The one thing stopping me from hitting my head against the wall is the fact that I will be out of contract just as the Vario V is coming out. Might well go for a 12 month contract then though....

Same here, unless the V4 has some utterly spectatcualr features that puts it head and shoulders above the V3 I wont be getting it simfree, unless of course my v3 has an accident.

But since I cant get a signal in my office, the odds are I will bin T-Mobile as soon as I can though

Kimbie

Guest mrdo
I can see how the lack of buttons on the front improves the looks of the device.

But i really cant understand why they removed the camera button... very odd

and the scroll wheel. we seem to be moving in the direction of style over functionality when what we want is both.

Guest Syphon Filter
and the scroll wheel. we seem to be moving in the direction of style over functionality when what we want is both.

If the Manilla interface is all it's cracked up to be you wont miss those things. Of course, it will take time to adjust but here's hoping the interface is good enough to replace the need for scroll wheels and hard buttons.

There's some great pictures of it about 3/4 of the way down this page:

http://translate.google.com.sg/translate?u...en&ie=UTF-8

The T-Mo version looks a little janky...the HTC version looks much sharper (of the Raphael I mean, not the HTC Diamond vs the T-Mo Raphael).

Edited by Syphon Filter

Guest Doublevision

If the specs are correct for the Vario IV (and Diamond I think) of being tri-band GSM (900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz), this will push me towards the X-1 as it is reported to be Quad band.

One of the things I love about my Vario II is I can pretty much rely on it connecting throughout the world.

Guest shootydogthing

Hmm. I'm hoping that the accelerometer will be opened by developers, for both screen orientation and possibly scrolling by tilting the device.

And maybe the zoom wheel can be made into a scroll wheel too

Guest Christopher Woods

oh yeah for definite, I'm absolutely in love with my scroll wheel :D I think I'd sacrifice it for a V4 though, from initial impressions (although I was almost ready to sell advertising space on my forehead to buy a Vario 3 before I found out about its shortcomings!)

Guest mikeeey

I dont think I would get it...unless i could trade my kaiser in and get it for free or little money, but i doubt that's gonna happen.

I'm not too fond of the Landscape Left keyboard, i like to use my stylus with my right hand and still be able to use the D-pad with my left, im not sure why so many pocket pc's are landscape left.

It lost it's TyTN look, which is a shame, now it just reminds me of the Diamond or something. Maybe the next Vario after this one will have MultiTouch, that would be nice, I think I'll wait.

Guest Syphon Filter
Maybe the next Vario after this one will have MultiTouch, that would be nice, I think I'll wait.

That's like another year or so to wait at least?! I'm afraid I need my gadget fix a lo more regularly than that!! I don't think I've ever gone over a year without getting a new phone!

Guest Monolithix

First post updated!

512MB ROM / 256MB RAM and NO tilt confirmed!

Now it's starting to pique my interest a little more :D

Guest Syphon Filter
First post updated!

512MB ROM / 256MB RAM and NO tilt confirmed!

Now it's starting to pique my interest a little more :D

I'm thinking there is no tilt. I've not seen it mentioned or demonstrated anywhere yet. Surely they would be listing this as a feature if it was. -

The increased ROM/RAM is nice.

Am I correct in saying that the Raphael does NOT have any internal storage and you're using SD only?

EDIT:

I'm an idiot, was reading the post wrong. I read it as "no tilt confirmed" when it's really "no tilt, confirmed"

Meh, not the end of the world by any means.

Edited by Syphon Filter

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.