MDA Vario IV pics and specs

Guest CongoJoe

Guest Syphon Filter

@ Paul:

I saw a video on YouTube that was a meeting with a the chief of innovation or something from HTC, looked like it was in a hotel room and I think you were there (asking questions and typing away with your Mac).

In that meeting someone asked why HTC stuck with a resistive screen vs a capacitive screen and the HTC chap was saying that the resistive screen allows for better handwriting recognition. Am I right in saying that a capacitive screen cant be used with a stylus then?

Guest l3v5y
@ Paul:

I saw a video on YouTube that was a meeting with a the chief of innovation or something from HTC, looked like it was in a hotel room and I think you were there (asking questions and typing away with your Mac).

In that meeting someone asked why HTC stuck with a resistive screen vs a capacitive screen and the HTC chap was saying that the resistive screen allows for better handwriting recognition. Am I right in saying that a capacitive screen cant be used with a stylus then?

AFAIK, a capacitive screen can be used with a stylus, but the stylus needs to be far more complex, and is therefore larger, and a lot more expensive... Some tablet PCs have capacitive screens, and the stylii are £50 or so, whereas the piece of metal for normal stylii is at most £1!

Guest pd.ryder

This looks like the shiny thing I've been waiting for :D

My contract with T is due to expire but they seem to want stupid money for an upgrade to a Vario III, let alone this gorgeous beastie!

Time will tell I guess, but I don't expect to see any change out of £200 to upgrade :(

post-37012-1212881589_thumb.jpg

Guest Syphon Filter

Hrm,

This is semi-off-topic but semi-on-topic too. The reviews and user opinions of the Diamond from various sites (Engadget Mobile, Gizmodo, few threads on XDA-Developers etc). One recurring theme from all those places:

"It's kinda slow"

I wonder if the increased RAM for the Raphael will help this issue or if its a core issue with the TF3D/processing power.

Guest Shuflie
AFAIK, a capacitive screen can be used with a stylus, but the stylus needs to be far more complex, and is therefore larger, and a lot more expensive... Some tablet PCs have capacitive screens, and the stylii are £50 or so, whereas the piece of metal for normal stylii is at most £1!

Tablet PCs do not use capacitive screens, they have an active digitiser (think of a the way a Wacom graphics tablet works) which will work only with the supplied stylus. The mouse pointer is moved about by holding the tip of the stylus slightly above the screen and the screen senses the presence of the stylus. Their main advantage is than you can rest your hand on the screen when using it. Their big disadvantage is that if you loose the stylus the touchscreen part is useless. Some tablet pc manufacturers include both active and capacitive elements to their screens which are switched either automatically or by a button which gives you the best of both worlds, but when you use the stylus it is only the active digitiser part of the screen that you are using.

Guest l3v5y
Tablet PCs do not use capacitive screens, they have an active digitiser (think of a the way a Wacom graphics tablet works) which will work only with the supplied stylus. The mouse pointer is moved about by holding the tip of the stylus slightly above the screen and the screen senses the presence of the stylus. Their main advantage is than you can rest your hand on the screen when using it. Their big disadvantage is that if you loose the stylus the touchscreen part is useless. Some tablet pc manufacturers include both active and capacitive elements to their screens which are switched either automatically or by a button which gives you the best of both worlds, but when you use the stylus it is only the active digitiser part of the screen that you are using.

Damnit! I was wrong!

Ignore what I said...

Guest Syphon Filter
Damnit! I was wrong!

Ignore what I said...

I think you point still stands that the capacitive touch screens can't be used with any old thing for a stylus

Guest l3v5y
I think you point still stands that the capacitive touch screens can't be used with any old thing for a stylus

But my proof and examples were rubbish! :D

The iPhone has a capacitive screen, and can't be used with things that don't carry some form of electrical charge (ie normal stylii).

Guest Shuflie
But my proof and examples were rubbish! :D

The iPhone has a capacitive screen, and can't be used with things that don't carry some form of electrical charge (ie normal stylii).

Yeah, that bit was right. I only know about the tablet pc screens because of some research I was doing on them and touchscreen pcs for work, can't tell you the number of times I tried tapping the tablet pc screens with my finger and wondered why nothing was happening. :(

I just discovered the community behind the Nokia N800/N810 and, truth be told, my interest in the HTC Touch Pro has all but dissapeared. Getting a review sample N810 sent over and will shoot for an N800 after that.

Of course, that wont stop me upgrading to a Vario 4 when my contract expires; if it's free.

Guest Syphon Filter

Inkino are slating the end of August as release for the HTC Touch Pro. So by the time there's a bit of faffing it will be mid September I reckon. Slap bang a year after the TyTN II was released :D

Guest jimbouk

Now that I have "H" on my laptop, I am not so worried about a keyboard and am now trying to decide between a diamond on orange or an iphone 2 with o2...

Guest Syphon Filter
Now that I have "H" on my laptop, I am not so worried about a keyboard and am now trying to decide between a diamond on orange or an iphone 2 with o2...

Care to explain/expand a bit further please? Because I have NO idea what you're talking about?!?! :D

Or are you saying your "H" key now works on your laptop?

Guest jimbouk

My new laptop has HSDPA built in - I have chucked a Three PAYG sim in it and can use 2-3mb broadband over 3g on my laptop for £10 a month.

As I can now use that for anything "textual", the need for a hardware keyboard on my mobile device is now a lot reduced. Hence considering a diamond or iphone 2 (especially now the latter has activesync)

Guest Syphon Filter
My new laptop has HSDPA built in - I have chucked a Three PAYG sim in it and can use 2-3mb broadband over 3g on my laptop for £10 a month.

As I can now use that for anything "textual", the need for a hardware keyboard on my mobile device is now a lot reduced. Hence considering a diamond or iphone 2 (especially now the latter has activesync)

I see. Well for me the Touch Pro would not be a laptop replacement by any means. But it would be a kick ass emailing, quick browsing, IM etc device while out and about without the bulk of a netbook/notebook etc. The keyboard is a real plus to me though. On screen solutions just take up too much space, are not responsive enough or generally naff.

*rolls eyes* even I got that H thing..

anyways, bear in mind taht the iPhone is HSDPA 3.6 rather than 7.2...

well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me...princess! j/k

Guest mwright
I just discovered the community behind the Nokia N800/N810 and, truth be told, my interest in the HTC Touch Pro has all but dissapeared. Getting a review sample N810 sent over and will shoot for an N800 after that.

Of course, that wont stop me upgrading to a Vario 4 when my contract expires; if it's free.

Give in to the (linux) Force!

I would not like to do without my N800 for anything!

Guest shootydogthing
well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me...princess! j/k

Cut the attitude and I might stop bothering you every time something halfway bad happens to me.

back on topic... Yes these devices aren't laptop replacements, but I use my Kaiser in other rooms when watching TV or when i can't be assed booting my laptop up. I often use them side by side because my laptop refuses to multitask. And I haven't downloaded e-mail to my computer in about 3 weeks. It's all on my kaiser.

Guest jimbouk

I used to think that I couldnt do without a hardware keyboard... but an onscreen keyboard is fine for urgent issues/whilst travelling. If your laptop can't be ready for use in about 15 seconds when you need to write a long email, read lost of text, remote into a clients server, watch a video etc etc, then there's something wrong with your laptop.

Guest Syphon Filter
I used to think that I couldnt do without a hardware keyboard... but an onscreen keyboard is fine for urgent issues/whilst travelling. If your laptop can't be ready for use in about 15 seconds when you need to write a long email, read lost of text, remote into a clients server, watch a video etc etc, then there's something wrong with your laptop.

Your laptop boots in 15 seconds? What OS are you using and what spec laptop?!

Guest jimbouk

Vista on a new Sony SZ71... and it will "sleep" for circa 10 hours without power or hibernate for days - coming back from sleep takes about 7 seconds and from hibernate takes about 20.

Even my old laptop (a Sony s3xp) would sleep for about 3 hours and thus be quickly usable when needed.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.