TomTom Navigator 7 for HTC Diamond

Guest TheLoanRanger

Guest T39andcounting
I think £50 is very steep, when I bought TT6 for £80. A map upgrade should really only be something like 10-20% of the cost, or at least done on a subscription basis where you get all updates for a year. TomTom need to think ahead on this, as they will upset customers and push them elsewhere.

I agree. I don't mind paying up front for a physical device, or the initial program, but I can't see how they can justify a new map for much more than it would cost to go buy the atlas ~£15.

Basically the only reason I paid is because I had to, to get it working.

TomTom need to stop being greedy, and go for a cheap subscription update system. £10 a year is still a touch expensive: who would have updated their road atlas every year for this? Not many people I suspect.

Guest T39andcounting
Basically the only reason I paid is because I had to, to get it working.

What were you using before, and what was the problem with it?

TT6 Navigator.

Technically I didn't need to upgrade, but was told by TomTom Support that TT6 isn't supported on the Diamond.

I was also hopeful that the new local roads would be in the map as well.

Guest T39andcounting
TT6 Navigator.

Technically I didn't need to upgrade, but was told by TomTom Support that TT6 isn't supported on the Diamond.

I was also hopeful that the new local roads would be in the map as well.

They told me the same, but activated my maps on the new device anyway, and it's working ok so far. Would be good to get updated maps though. Does TT7 support the shared corrections and regular updates, or is it static like TT6?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Stu Kirk
TT7 runs smooth on my diamond but its always 3 secs behaind my real location.

Is it just me ggeting this?

i have excellent satalite signal (9 satalites all strong readings) think eaither the gps is slow at passing on the data or the software is lagging trying to produce a VGA image!

I have exactly the same problem on my diamond with TTN7

I seem to negotiate roundabouts before the correct turning shows up on the map.

My wife tells me it's because I'm driving too fast!

Does anyone else have this problem? or does anyone know if there are any settings that refreshes the GPS at a higher rate?

Guest LeiChat

I haven't noticed this issue, but perhaps I just don't drive as fast as the rest of you when I don't know where I'm going.

16/08/2008 EDIT: Ok, that's shocking, mine was doing it yesterday, missed two turnings due to the delay.

If it's any help I'd turned on the data connection on my phone, previously had it disabled, so perhaps it was Opera as per this thread.

That's the only thing I can think that's changed.

Edited by LeiChat

Guest rayhui988

Can anyone help me how to install TomTom 7v map into HTC Diamond, as you aware the main memory is only 65MB, it can only manage to installed the TomTom 7 programe into the main, and the UK map can only store into the internal storage, but when i turn on tomtom 7, the phone cannot detect the 7v map.

PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP!!

Edited by rayhui988

Guest M_Taylor40

Hey guys,

Just a quick question, does TomTom7 work for you when you search by postcode? If I begin to type in a postcode, say for example DH1 5GB (It's a retail park where I used to work lol), it will only recognise the DH1 part, so I cannot search by postcode! It just lists DH1, DH2, DH3, DH4, etc.

I know that I can press on DH1 and then go through and find the street but isnt that just makin postcode search completely pointless?! I'm sure on TomTom 6 I could search by the whole postcode!

I'm just using the trial with 1 free map at the minute as I wanna make sure it works perfectly before spending any money! I'm running version 7.450 as well incase there's a newer version.

Thanks alot,

M_Taylor40

Edited by M_Taylor40

Guest newtonmj
Just a quick question, does TomTom7 work for you when you search by postcode? If I begin to type in a postcode, say for example DH1 5GB (It's a retail park where I used to work lol), it will only recognise the DH1 part, so I cannot search by postcode! It just lists DH1, DH2, DH3, DH4, etc.

It sounds like you are missing the 7-digit postcode file. You can download it from here - unzip the 'ZIP' folder and put that folder in the root of wherever you installed TomTom (i.e. Device or Internal Storage... in fact it might be found in either regardless)

You will (should) then be able to search with full postcodes.

Mathew

Edited by newtonmj

Would be good to get updated maps though. Does TT7 support the shared corrections and regular updates, or is it static like TT6?

It appears to, but in Home you can't synchronise. I'm not sure whether updates made on the device get sent to TomTom, but you can't update the device the other way which is a shame. Although the updates aren't worth that much, and basically are used by TomTom to sell you better maps later.

Does anyone else have this problem? or does anyone know if there are any settings that refreshes the GPS at a higher rate?

I had this problem with TomTom on the TyTN. It doesn't really bother me that much.

Can anyone help me how to install TomTom 7v map into HTC Diamond, as you aware the main memory is only 65MB, it can only manage to installed the TomTom 7 programe into the main, and the UK map can only store into the internal storage, but when i turn on tomtom 7, the phone cannot detect the 7v map.

PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP!!

Where did you get the map from?

Guest LeiChat
It sounds like you are missing the 7-digit postcode file. You can download it from here - unzip the 'ZIP' folder and put that folder in the root of wherever you installed TomTom

Nice one Matt, I was going to have a rant about this.

I've purchased the Western Europe maps and was struggling with the postcode thing the other day.

The download is a zip file that contains a folder called "zip" containing four files, 2 for GB, 2 for Netherlands.

I can confirm, having copied to my device that it does resolve the issue. Thanks again.

Edited by LeiChat

Guest M_Taylor40
It sounds like you are missing the 7-digit postcode file. You can download it from here - unzip the 'ZIP' folder and put that folder in the root of wherever you installed TomTom (i.e. Device or Internal Storage... in fact it might be found in either regardless)

You will (should) then be able to search with full postcodes.

Mathew

Thank you so much newtonmj!

Got this working perfectly on my fiancees Diamond!

Thanks again!

M_Taylor40

Guest hoojii
Nice one Matt, I was going to have a rant about this.

I've purchased the Western Europe maps and was struggling with the postcode thing the other day.

The download is a zip file that contains a folder called "zip" containing four files, 2 for GB, 2 for Netherlands.

I can confirm, having copied to my device that it does resolve the issue. Thanks again.

I've copied the zip file to Navigator in my internal storage but it doesn't appear to work. Is there something I'm missing? I am relatively new to all this so if someone could break it down as simply as possible for me, I've tried what it says on this thread and on the TT website.

Guest newtonmj
I've copied the zip file to Navigator in my internal storage but it doesn't appear to work.

Zip file ? You should copy the ZIP folder (with the files inside it) to the root of your Internal Storage...

Mathew

Edited by newtonmj

Guest tsutton
Forgive me for asking, but where do the (Tomtom 6) map files go - which directory?

In the root, i.e. this is mine saved on the storage card:

\Storage Card\GB_plus_major_roads_of_WE

\Storage Card\UK and IE plus major roads of WE

Obviously the map name varies.

Guest hoojii
Zip file ? You should copy the ZIP folder (with the files inside it) to the root of your Internal Storage...

Mathew

Thanks Mathew

Still not working for me, I double click internal storage, within that I have 'my documents' 'my voices' 'navigator' 'voices' 'youtube' 'adobe flashlite' 'google maps' 'ttnavigator' etc.

I have copied the zip folder so it now shows alongside those above. What do I need to do once its there?

Guest newtonmj
I have copied the zip folder so it now shows alongside those above. What do I need to do once its there?

It should just work...

Presumably your map folder(s) are also in the root if Internal Storage?

I can't think what else... I was going to suggest copying the ZIP folder to the root of the device also but I haven't done that and I'm sure it'd be undesirable to have to do so anyway given the limited storage available.

I take it you are going through Navigate To > Address > Postcode for your searches? (I've left my phone at home today so cannot recall verbatim, however do make sure it is expecting a postcode and not a city name where I seem to recall allows limited-digit postcodes searches. I could be thinking of an old version now though)

Mathew

Edited by newtonmj

Guest fraktal
In the root, i.e. this is mine saved on the storage card:

\Storage Card\GB_plus_major_roads_of_WE

\Storage Card\UK and IE plus major roads of WE

Obviously the map name varies.

Do you mean \Internal Storage\, or have you done that tweak to change the name of your internal storage?

• 1 month later...
Guest skeetemeister

I seem to have a problem with TomTom 7 on my touch diamond. When I receive and accept a call while using TomTom, the visual display map cuts out when taking the call.

Guest estechco
I seem to have a problem with TomTom 7 on my touch diamond. When I receive and accept a call while using TomTom, the visual display map cuts out when taking the call.

I've never seen this whilst using TomTom, but suspect it is part of the standard mechanism to do this when making/receiving calls. The logic being that you cannot mistakenly switch on/off applications due to the proximity of your cheek to the phone. HTC have cleverly provided a solution/workaround of sorts whereby this feature no longer operates if the stylus is out. The assumption, presumably being that you wish to take notes.

See if this works for you when TomTom is on?

Guest skeetemeister
I've never seen this whilst using TomTom, but suspect it is part of the standard mechanism to do this when making/receiving calls. The logic being that you cannot mistakenly switch on/off applications due to the proximity of your cheek to the phone. HTC have cleverly provided a solution/workaround of sorts whereby this feature no longer operates if the stylus is out. The assumption, presumably being that you wish to take notes.

See if this works for you when TomTom is on?

Hi

You may have missunderstud my problem. When I'm using the tomtom and then receive a call, the tomtom map disappears. On the tomtom website it states that the map does not disappear while taking a call. Sorry for not being so clear

Edited by skeetemeister

Guest estechco
Hi

You may have missunderstud my problem. When I'm using the tomtom and then receive a call, the tomtom map disappears. On the tomtom website it states that the map does not disappear while taking a call. Sorry for not being so clear

Does the screen go completely blank (as in power save mode), or simply to the incoming call screen?

Guest skeetemeister
Does the screen go completely blank (as in power save mode), or simply to the incoming call screen?

Just the incoming call screen and then when the call ends It goes back to the start menu.