Paul's complete guide to installing OSX Leopard on your MSI Wind / Advent 4211

Guest PaulOBrien

Hi all,

just out of curiosity, i checked out XxX 10.4.11 distro and it seems that it has two successful drivers that MIGHT be useful for us, ALC8888 and Realtek 8187.

post-366911-1217402746_thumb.jpg post-366911-1217402778_thumb.jpg

The question:

rather than reinstall everything (and down from Leo to Tiger) just to test these drivers, is there anyway I can extract the kexts and can i used them straight away in our beloved kalyway installation?

EDIT: got them! will try install them and let you know the outcome. attached are the files in-case you want to try them as well. .....btw if it won't work, can i just re-install the azaliaaudio.pkg right? or should I reinstall everything?

EDIT: interesting....installing ALC888_3.pkg (3 ports) seems doesnt have any effect at all..

ALC888.zip

Edited by asae

Guest angstmann

Just wanted to chip in and let everyone know I finally got round to installing my new hardware (Dell 1390, extra 1GB RAM, 320GB WD HD) and used Paul's guide to achieve a flawless installation. So far so good! Already had the infamous battery indicator showing an X, but a restart has solved it for me so far.

A couple of things I noticed so far... I am really gonna miss the internal mic function, or rather my daughter will as she loves making little videos in Photo Booth. Video fine, but of course no audio. Secondly, I am finding that on some apps the interface and/or the dialog boxes are getting chopped off at the bottom (presumably due to the 600px vertical resolution). So far its not a deal breaker, but its a bit annoying. Anyone know of a workaround?

So for me, the mic issue is a bigger problem than the headphone/line-in problem. I dont think the future is bright regarding getting these things working (or so I have read), so I won't hold out too much hope. A slight disappointment, but something I'll just have to get used to, and pray for a solution in the future!

Thanks Paul for a great guide.

Guest Dogcow
Out of interest ... how does one install iLife? Is it within the Kalyway DVD?

iLife isn't part of the Kalyway install or part of an official Leopard install, it's a separate product you have to purchase although it's included with every real Mac.

Haven't got round to installing it yet, should run fine though.

Guest Paul (MVP)

iLife runs great here!

I only got iLife 07 with my mac (think that was the name?) so had to buy iLife '08 seperately. It's worth the money for me for iMovie alone :D

P

Guest fishnchips
just out of curiosity, i checked out XxX 10.4.11 distro and it seems that it has two successful drivers that MIGHT be useful for us, ALC8888 and Realtek 8187.

It looks like the ALC888 and ICH7 combo is the issue here.

Guest fishnchips
I've just bought a medion. But style have problems with the wifi card. Anyone know what model it is ? and how to make it work ?

All the rest is just working find as long as I've tested it.

Read this full thread from page 1. The WIFI does not work out of the box. There is a Dell 802.11g option or HP 802.11n option.

Guest dogweed

And so it begins - collect my Advent from the dreaded PC World tomorrow :D I never thought I'd see the day when I bought some hardware from them!!! And it's all your fault Paul (MVP) lol

Quick little question - is it an easy task to keep the original XP install and add OS X as a dual boot? I know it is possible but I've no experience of this type of task. All input welcomed from people who have already done this! And I know, why would I want to keep XP....

Edited by dogweed

Guest elalitte
Read this full thread from page 1. The WIFI does not work out of the box. There is a Dell 802.11g option or HP 802.11n option.

Thanks for your response, but where and how am i able to install the drivers ? is it during the kalyway install ?

Guest WearTheFoxHat

The medion akoya has different wifi card to the one in the advent 4211, and i understand that it "may" work with OSX. Check here: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...10.5.2#Wireless

I can't find the link, but somewhere Paul was posting on a Mac forum that mentioned that the drivers for the akoya were working. Let me see if I can find it.

Here ya go: http://wind-osx86.wikispaces.com/Akoya

Details on there of which driver for the Medion Akoya, and how to install it.

Guest elalitte

Thanks a lot !

I've just opened my akoya to see what's in.

The important thing to know is that it seem's to have only one placement for ram, I changed the ram with a 2Go one and it works, but I found nowhere to add somemore (1G + 1G)

I didn't remove the dd to see if it's under... as long as the hardware looks like the wind, does anyone know where the first 1G ram is in the wind ?

Also, the wifi card model is RT2700E on the akoya.

Hi All,

In the spirit of finding workaround for mic-in and headphone out, i just got this el-cheap'o usb audio dongle (PD-552) which i read somewhere on osx related forums is working with no problem, some know it as c-media usb 3d sound or comodow usb 3d sound or biostar usb sound.

Unfortunately this (kind of) doesn't work on mine. When i plugged it in, I open the sound section in SysPref, it was detected as USB VoIP for a while (in Output as well as Input), but after couple of seconds its gone...

I checked the console log, and see that it kept saying 'IOUSBFamily is having troung enumerating a USB device' and ended up with '... was not able to enumerate a device'.

Have anyone use this kind of usb audio device? or is there an kext that i should install? I tried to google'd around for mac drivers but couldn't find any because most people said it should be working ootb..

Advice and help would be much appreciated :D thanks in advance.

Guest cyber1967
You CAN dual boot.

P

Are you sure ?

I can install windows XP or vista using bootcamp installer like a normal Mac or i have to do other method to do this ?

Guest elalitte
Also, the wifi card model is RT2700E on the akoya.

I just put the drivers from ralink (execute the .dmg) but no card seems to be detected. Neither wifi nor ethernet card.

If anyone has an experience of the wifi on the medion akoya, please feel free to help me :-)

Guest WearTheFoxHat
I just put the drivers from ralink (execute the .dmg) but no card seems to be detected. Neither wifi nor ethernet card.

If anyone has an experience of the wifi on the medion akoya, please feel free to help me :-)

Daft question ... but it must be asked ... you have turned the wifi card on using Fn + F11 (or similar) havent you?

In the spirit of finding workaround for mic-in and headphone out, i just got this el-cheap'o usb audio dongle (PD-552) which i read somewhere on osx related forums is working with no problem, some know it as c-media usb 3d sound or comodow usb 3d sound or biostar usb sound......

UPDATE: So frustating, after re-plugin couple of times, the device is detected, sometimes as USB VoIP device, sometimes as Unknown USB Audio device, but still no sound out of it nor go in. So 10.5 knows that it is an audio device, its just that it don't know what to do with it :D

After more googling, i've come to a conclusion that this kind of usb audio is not supported in 10.5.x, the success story only happens in 10.4.x and somehow Apple did something with AppleUSBaudio.kext in 10.5 which made this kind not working anymore.

so...for now, maybe its better not to buy USB audio based on C-Media chipset, usually known as C-Media usb 3d or Comodow usb 3d or BioStar usb sound until someone can help patch the 10.4.8 JaS AppleUSBaudio.kext to 10.5.x (?) unless...you're brave enough to trivially replace your currently stable already wind with kalyway+paul's guide with 10.4.x distro :D

there goes my us$12 usb audio...

Edited by asae

Guest angstmann

Can anyone recommend a cheap USB-Headphone converter that is small in size, and also where I might be able to get hold of one in the UK? Just tried out my Dad's Plantronics USB headset and it all works fine but the USB cable/converter is big and bulky. I'm looking for the smallest and cheapest solution available, but also one that will work natively in 10.5! :D

Guest elalitte
Daft question ... but it must be asked ... you have turned the wifi card on using Fn + F11 (or similar) havent you?

Yes, I've tried but it does nothing :-/

I tried a bluetooth headset that I use on my cellphone and it worked ok, albeit only in mono.

Hi Tulisan, can you help test is the mic working? i couldn't get mine to work, only sound out to headphone but no sound in, so still can't be used for skype.