Paul's complete guide to installing OSX Leopard on your MSI Wind / Advent 4211

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest ofmirroreye

Hi.

is anyone else having a weird overheating issue? i have osx86 installed according to the handy guide. i have bios 1.05, a dell 1500 wifi card and 2 gigs ram and dual boot with win xp pro.

there's been twice where i've used my wind (on osx) fairly frequently over the course of a day and towards the end of the day, the fan stops functioning correctly (i hear it kind of spinning, but definitely not fast enough) and the wind heats up to the point of automatically shutting the computer down. Then i have to take the battery out of the computer, let it sit for a little bit and then when i start up again, the fan runs fine and the temps are normal.

i'm currently seeing if this happens on xp pro, it doesn't seem to be the case, as the two times my computer shut down, i was running osx.

i'm a complete osx noob, so i'm hoping that there's just some setting i have to configure or some kext didn't get installed correctly.

any ideas??

Guest Dogcow
is anyone else having a weird overheating issue? i have osx86 installed according to the handy guide. i have bios 1.05, a dell 1500 wifi card and 2 gigs ram and dual boot with win xp pro.

That's a new one on me, have you got CoolBook installed, not running some odd voltage/MHz combo with it??

I've had two freezes which have resulted in garbled video, other than that it's solid for me using it 2-3 hours each day.

Guest ofmirroreye
That's a new one on me, have you got CoolBook installed, not running some odd voltage/MHz combo with it??

I've had two freezes which have resulted in garbled video, other than that it's solid for me using it 2-3 hours each day.

No, not running coolbook and definitely haven't messed around with the voltage settings. would coolbook have control over the fan settings??

it doesn't really make sense, because the fan will run fine for awhile, but then at some point decides to stop running effectively.

Interesting...because i have never got heat problem (so far), whenever am at home, i put my wind on my desk and plug in the power source all day, play with it occasionally. I used coolbook and sees that the temp only raises up to 50-55 sometimes when an application in really processing something, otherwise it sit still at around 40 C. While travelling, i used to use it (under battery) until the battery almost gone off (e.g. 5-10 minutes left)..

Edited by asae

Guest ofmirroreye
Interesting...because i have never got heat problem (so far), whenever am at home, i put my wind on my desk and plug in the power source all day, play with it occasionally. I used coolbook and sees that the temp only raises up to 50-55 sometimes when an application in really processing something, otherwise it sit still at around 40 C. While travelling, i used to use it (under battery) until the battery almost gone off (e.g. 5-10 minutes left)..

Hmmm, I'm not sure what's going on, I just used my wind all day, on xp pro, under the same conditions as using osx, and no problems with the fan doing its job. whereas on osx, at some point (and there's no telling when) the fan wouldn't function properly.

other than the fan issue though, osx on the wind is rock solid. maybe i'll try to reformat/reinstall the thing, following the directions extra carefully. i might have inadvertantly done something wrong, or didn't install something i was supposed to install.

Guest copydude

Hi there.

This sounds great in theory.

Sorry to be a bit thick but . . . I do not see an installation procedure if you already have a genuine retail copy of Leopard. (Which I have.)

I'm also wondering why you have to install any updates via a bootleg disc. Once you've booted into OSX, why doesn't Apple's regular system update work?

Apologies for naivete . . . .

Guest WearTheFoxHat
Hi there.

This sounds great in theory.

Sorry to be a bit thick but . . . I do not see an installation procedure if you already have a genuine retail copy of Leopard. (Which I have.)

I'm also wondering why you have to install any updates via a bootleg disc. Once you've booted into OSX, why doesn't Apple's regular system update work?

Apologies for naivete . . . .

Hi and Welcome,

Other people ... correct me if I am wrong in this statement.

"The Kalyway disc was created to bundle all the drivers available to facilitate installing OSX onto non-apple hardware. The official line from apple is that you cannot install or run OSX on anything other than apple hardware. BUT by having a license allocated for the machine does at least show goodwill towards apple."

Guest Tulisan
Hi Tulisan, can you help test is the mic working? i couldn't get mine to work, only sound out to headphone but no sound in, so still can't be used for skype.

I tried using it with Skype and it worked flawlessly. I can talk to and hear the person on the other line clearly. I can also listen to my music via Itunes on my bluetooth headset without any problems.

Guest Paul (MVP)
Hi and Welcome,

Other people ... correct me if I am wrong in this statement.

"The Kalyway disc was created to bundle all the drivers available to facilitate installing OSX onto non-apple hardware. The official line from apple is that you cannot install or run OSX on anything other than apple hardware. BUT by having a license allocated for the machine does at least show goodwill towards apple."

Spot on!

P

I tried using it with Skype and it worked flawlessly. I can talk to and hear the person on the other line clearly. I can also listen to my music via Itunes on my bluetooth headset without any problems.

Thanks, because i tried mine with Jabra BT620s (stereo ones) the only think that work with good crispy sound is only as headphone. Headset is not working at all no in/out. Weird coz both (Headset and Headphone) shows in Syspref/Output and as well as Headset shows in Input. I tried that same device in real mac (Tiger) it works flawlessly for skype. What's your BT brand/type?

Edited by asae

Guest chiquet

Thank you very much Paul for this terrific guide! I bet MSI will sell a crapload of units because of this guide and other similar ones!

I got my Wind yesterday, unfortunately it seems impossible to get the 6 cell version here in Beijing, but I think I can get the battery at a later date. I already upgraded the RAM to 2G and will try to find a wifi card replacement and a bigger SATA HD drive tonight.

For the OSX installation, I decided to go without an external DVD drive. I used NetRestore Helper (http://www.bombich.com/software/netrestore.html) to create a bootable disk image from the MSIWindosx86.iso, then used disk utility's restore function to clone this bootable image to an external USB harddisk. Seems to work, although I didn't finish the installation. I will confirm this tonight.

Can't wait to use the slick MSI Wind hardware together with a nice OS. The pre-installed SUSE Linux 10 is clearly not good enough for me.

Edit: Boot from USB Disk did not work, the bootloader froze when there was a USB drive connected during startup.

Edited by chiquet

Guest Dologan

Just a quick comment to express my gratitude for the tutorial. :D My "Macvent" is now working smoothly, after a couple of hiccups with the GMA950 graphics, which was causing OS X to fail to get into the graphical interface under non-safe boot conditions for some unknown reason. Removing all custom kexts in the pack, reinstalling all but the GMA950 one, rebooting and finally installing the graphics alone seems to have done the trick. I was also temporarily misled by the fact that the only thing that I did differently from the guide, due to the lack of a wifi card, was to install the Realtek1000 driver during the installation, which was necessary to get past the "Do you already have a Mac/Welcome" loop.

Anyway, it's all running fine now after a few hours of lost student productivity :D Thanks a lot! :angry:

Guest WearTheFoxHat
Still loving my 'Appledvent' :D

'student productivity' - now there's a contradiction in terms :D

P

Not an Applent or and Adpple?

"student productivity" = Drinking in the SU bar and pulling chicks ... the pulling chicks bit is the productive bit!

Guest neosin

Can someone pleaseeeeee help me.

This guide is not very complete, i can't get pass the transfer mac crap setup after the install, some other guy had the same problem and the solution was

install realtek1000 or change res to 640x480 to skip the setup

how do you change the res??????what comand do i type, i typed in a few and all it did was go back into the Original setup ><

how do i dual boot???? yes i've read everything but nothing seems to be clear PLEASE DON'T USE ANY JARGON i don't understand mac stuff.

when i take away my usb drive my wind just freezes and says F3....3

PLEASE UPDATE THE TUT FOR US NOOBS!!!!!!!

Guest neosin
Ok here's what I did.

6. After you created those two image files (vista and xp), boot again from the usb stick (F11) and do a drive recovery. you can start with vista and put it in the c: drive or you can start with xp. It doesn't matter which one is put in the c: drive. set the drive as Active drive. Then when that is done, reboot and check if vista is booting properly.

At this point, the mac os would be your default bootup os using darwin bootloader. If you want to boot from vista or xp, just hit enter during boot up of darwin and select vista or xp. And viola, you have now a triple boot system.

6 DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!

also whats with this darwin bootloader??? where is it?

where do i press enter?

sigh!!!

thank you

Guest neosin

please help

i've finally able to pass the loop problem with the wifi card

but

everytime i don't have the disk and usb drive plugged it just says

F3...3 and does nothing. i have set my boot to hard drive ><

if i have disk and ext drive connected it works if i don't it does nothin F3...3 and i can't even select my old windows xp!

I think this guide needs to be updated, i've followed every instruction and it's caused me ALOT OF TIME AND TROUBLE

note:i'm still on 10.5.2 kalway

Edited by neosin

Guest Tulisan
6 DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!

also whats with this darwin bootloader??? where is it?

where do i press enter?

sigh!!!

thank you

Which part of number 6 exactly doesn't make sense? Are you trying to do a triple boot too? Darwin bootloader is what is included after you install OSX. It's the one that where you see a countdown going on before booting finally in OSX.