Paul's complete guide to installing OSX Leopard on your MSI Wind / Advent 4211

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest alucard_xs

Hi,

no answer about the long boot ...

btw, did someone manage to install ACPIbattery.kext ? I installed it but what can I do now ? the bettery level still does not whow, are ther any linecodes to write ? (where is the terminal under leopard ?)

maybe it 's from windows, in fact, i installed leopard after using windows and creating partition under windows. ???

thanks.

Edited by alucard_xs

Guest neosin
Which part of number 6 exactly doesn't make sense? Are you trying to do a triple boot too? Darwin bootloader is what is included after you install OSX. It's the one that where you see a countdown going on before booting finally in OSX.

no i'm trying to do a dual boot. I've had to switch my xp partition to active becuase it stuffed up my boot ><

if i have hdd selected as first boot device, if i select that, i get a freeze with F3...3

but if i have cd/dvd as boot it boots but needs the disc in the drive WTF!

which partition do i set active? and for some weird reason my OSX doesn't say install sucessful you can now reboot, it just resets itself ><

Guest Tulisan

try reinstalling osx, make sure to follow the guide to the dot. when successful, your next reboot will be with darwin's bootloader. while counting down, press enter then select your xp drive. it should boot there. if you want your xp to be the active drive, just right click My Computer, select manage drive. in the disk management, right click on your xp drive and select make drive active. then restart.

be aware though that once you do that, you cannot boot anymore from mac osx unless you use a third party boot manager.

Guest chiquet

I have a working OSX 10.5 installation now. I used the MSIWindOSX.iso from the intertubes.

What doesn't work however is wifi. I bought a shady card which should be an Atheros 5008 chip according to Windows XP. OSX doesn't recognize it.

I managed to get this piece of information with ioreg:

+-o PSL1@0  
| | | {
| | | "IOPCIResourced" = Yes
| | | "IOInterruptControllers" = ("io-apic-0","IOPCIMessagedInterruptController")
| | | "IOName" = "ethernet"
| | | "subsystem-id" = <2e140000>
| | | "IOPCIExpressLinkCapabilities" = 211985
| | | "IODeviceMemory" = (({"address"=18446744073168486400,"length"=65536}))
| | | "class-code" = <00000200>
| | | "IOPowerManagement" = {"CurrentPowerState"=2}
| | | "revision-id" = <01000000>
| | | "IOInterruptSpecifiers" = (<1100000007000000>,<0500000000000100>)
| | | "assigned-addresses" = <10000282000000000000c0df0000000000000100>
| | | "IOChildIndex" = 1
| | | "built-in" = <00>
| | | "acpi-device" = "IOACPIPlatformDevice is not serializable"
| | | "device-id" = <1c000000>
| | | "vendor-id" = <8c160000>
| | | "acpi-path" = "IOACPIPlane:/_SB/PCI0@0/P0P5@1c0001/PSL1@ffff"
| | | "subsystem-vendor-id" =
| | | "name" = "ethernet"
| | | "IOPCIExpressLinkStatus" = 4113
| | | "reg" = <00000200000000000000000000000000000000001000020200000000000000000000000000000
00>
| | | "compatible" = <"pci10cf,142e","pci168c,1c","pciclass,020000">
| | | }

[/codebox]

I tried the .kext insertion method where you insert pci168c,1c into the apple broadcom kext plist, and the same with the atheros kext from the MSIWindOSX.iso. Both didn't work.

Does anybody have an idea what other options I could try? Or should I simply go for another card?

[b]Update:[/b]

I decided that it was too complicated and swapped my Atheros based card for one with the Broadcom 4311 chip (same as in the Dell1490). I had to remove the obsolete stand under the card to make it fit, but after that, it worked right out of the box, OS X picked it up and recognized it as an Airport card.

Now everything's working as it should, I am very happy with the result! Thanks again Paul and everybody else contributing to this thread for the great work!

Edited by chiquet

Guest Gomff
did someone use MsiWindosx86.iso on a medion akoya ??

thanks

Hi

I don't have a medion akoya, I have an advent but I have been experimenting with the MsiWindosx86 with mixed results.

It installs much more smoothlyand with less steps than Paul's method with Kalyway and seems to be fine, but I have had issues with Bluetooth not working properly, USB devices not being recognised when plugged in after system has started up (ie, if they're plugged in before startup then the machine recognises them after boot).

In the end, I've reinstalled using Paul's guide and Kalyway as it seems to be more reliable.....I'm sticking with that for now.

Guest sjl71

Hi Paul

Many thanks for the detailed video guide to installing OsX on the advent 4211.

It is a great machine which can only benefit from OsX being installed on it.

I notice that you have upgraded the wifi card to a dell airport card on ebay.....

It would be appreciated if you could confirm if the following is the same type of card on ebay prior to purchasing:-

Dell DW1490 DW 1490 Mini PCI-E HACKINTOSH AIRPORT Card

Additionally, I am new to the forums and also have limited knowledge of making such changes to operating systems/hardware etc, is the install process easy for both the memory upgrade and wifi card?

It would help greatly if you could post instructions for these also......

Apologies, if I have offended in any way.....but I am new to these forums and certainly do not want to offend.

Many thanks for you help and assistance.

Kind regards

Scott

Guest WearTheFoxHat
Hi Paul

Many thanks for the detailed video guide to installing OsX on the advent 4211.

It is a great machine which can only benefit from OsX being installed on it.

I notice that you have upgraded the wifi card to a dell airport card on ebay.....

It would be appreciated if you could confirm if the following is the same type of card on ebay prior to purchasing:-

Dell DW1490 DW 1490 Mini PCI-E HACKINTOSH AIRPORT Card

Additionally, I am new to the forums and also have limited knowledge of making such changes to operating systems/hardware etc, is the install process easy for both the memory upgrade and wifi card?

It would help greatly if you could post instructions for these also......

Apologies, if I have offended in any way.....but I am new to these forums and certainly do not want to offend.

Many thanks for you help and assistance.

Kind regards

Scott

Hi Scott

Welcome to MoDaCo ...

The Dell DW 1490 is the same card that I used in my Advent 4211. The only thing I would recommend is that you remove the unused screw fixing post "standoff" which is under the mini pci-e wifi card. It's a bit tense removing it with pliers but will save many a headache!

To install the memory :

http://www.laptopmag.com/advice/how-to/msi...aspx?mode=video

Literally it is just ...

Open case carefully

insert ram into slot

Close case and test!

Any probs, give us a shout.

Guest Sed8ed
Hi

I don't have a medion akoya, I have an advent but I have been experimenting with the MsiWindosx86 with mixed results.

It installs much more smoothlyand with less steps than Paul's method with Kalyway and seems to be fine, but I have had issues with Bluetooth not working properly, USB devices not being recognised when plugged in after system has started up (ie, if they're plugged in before startup then the machine recognises them after boot).

In the end, I've reinstalled using Paul's guide and Kalyway as it seems to be more reliable.....I'm sticking with that for now.

I'm still using Pauls method and Kalyway 10.5.2

I've also seen some of those problems reported using the MsiWindOSX86 distro from other users. At least with the 10.5.2 Kalyway release all those things work. I havent had any problems with my install yet. I sleep my unit and the only odd thing that occurs is the wake from sleep...the mouse (touch pad or USB wireless) goes berserk for a second (only if you move it!!), other than that it's probably close to perfect (nearly, need internal MIC to work).

I have ordered my USB sound dongle with built in MIC and MIC/Headphone so sound is solved for the time being. Bluetooth is partially solved by deleting the Bluetooth Connection from networking preferences and leaving just Bluetooth PAN in there. Also the standard BT icon is useless at times, if it blanks out and the "on" and off" switch is blanked out the solution is to download istat menu's and replace the BT icon with that of the BT monitor button from istat menu's, you'll be truly able to turn on/off the BT button even if the original BT button was blanked out at boot. Under BT settings you can remove the normal BT button from the menu bar. So far on the 6 cell battery my Wind came with I'm getting 5 hours in OSX with coolbook app installed.....

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Oooh where do I get the replacement bluetooth app? As I am having similar issues to yourself.

Can you provide a link for the usb sound thingy?

Guest Myjazz

Hi there, that's my first post in here...

First, many, many, many thanks to Paul for this great tutorial...

I live in France, and though it was very hard to get a Wind (quite sold out everywhere thius summer...), I received mine 2 days ago and it's now a fully functionnal Macbook Wind (Windbook ?). There's just that battery level that sometimes doesn't work, showing just an X, but it seems to happen very randomly...

I'd sure be interested in a working USB audio dongle with an internal mic to get ichat working nice...

I love this little hackintosh (my first, in fact, as I'm an apple-user since my childhood... but they don't seem to release that kind of little device, so...)

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Yeah, I've just been fiddling with it.

Used it to replace clock on menu bar, replace bluetooth icon, using a network monitor.

Turned off Time Machine as I don't have one. Removed the 3Connect Modem icon, since it's gone back!

Wish there was a battery replacement.

Couple of quick questions:

1) Entourage ... sync with iCal ... yes or no? Will this then populate the date pulldown on the menu with task info? Or should I just use the "My Day" application in Entourage?

2) Battery still showing an X rather frequently, was there a fix for this?

3) Dockless ... now that CoolBook is working, is it just a case of unticking CoolBook in dockless and then it will run without appearing?

Guest Paul (MVP)

1) You can do, yes, that will achieve what you say. I don't use either personally!

2) Do a repair permissions and see if that helps...

3) Yeah, in System Preferences -> Accounts add coolbook controller to your startup too.

P

Guest neosin

this is really getting to my nerves

i have xp installed the on that came with the wind

i instal osx and the darwin bootloader screen DOES NOT show my xp OS

><

WTH!!! i press enter to start up Darwin/x86 and it goes into installing the os AGAIN, if i take disc out it does nuthin!

anyone suggest a good third party multiboot software?

Edited by neosin

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Paul .. I've just been looking at posts about Apple SMBios 28, and got that kext working. However it mentions that the ram type and speed is incorrectly mentioned in "About this mac".

So I followed:

memoryType=19 memorySpeed=667

And it booted ok, but still not properly described in the "about this mac" > More Info > Memory pane.

I also was going to include it in com.apple.Boot.plist .. but it's not in the directory that it should be! very strange eh.

Guest sjl71

Many thanks for the update and advice.

I have just installed kalyway 10.5.2 but cannot get past the Do You already own a mac screen....

I have selected Do not transfer my information now but the machine goes into a loop back to keyboard selection upon selection continue button....

Can anyone help me to finish off the install?

Kind regards

Scott

Guest bingggo
can anyone tell me if it's possible to use the xbox usb hd dvd drive as a bootable dvd drive to install Leopard? That would save me having to buy an enclosure for an old drive.

Well, I don't have the Advent, but you may not know that the Xbox USB HD-DVD drive works fine as a DVD drive under OSX or Windows (while there are Windows drivers, I seem to recall it didn't need them to read DVDs? only HD-DVDs) so it might work on the Advent.

I am interested in the Aspire One question raised above. Does anyone know the chipset differences? Wikipedia has some unsourced statements that the SSD is too slow to run XP well, compared to SSDs in other UMPCs. May not be true, and even if true may not affect Leopard as much... but that's wishful thinking because the Aspire One is only 512mb so guess there would be lots of caching to the SSD under Leopard?

B

Guest WearTheFoxHat
Many thanks for the update and advice.

I have just installed kalyway 10.5.2 but cannot get past the Do You already own a mac screen....

I have selected Do not transfer my information now but the machine goes into a loop back to keyboard selection upon selection continue button....

Can anyone help me to finish off the install?

Kind regards

Scott

Im assuming you havent installed the Dell Wifi card yet, and hence why you are getting that message. Go back through the install and when selecting drivers, go for wired network and select the Realtek 1000 (I think its that ... or something RA 1000!)

It's covered a few pages back.

Guest sjl71
Im assuming you havent installed the Dell Wifi card yet, and hence why you are getting that message. Go back through the install and when selecting drivers, go for wired network and select the Realtek 1000 (I think its that ... or something RA 1000!)

It's covered a few pages back.

Many thanks

Guest Gomff

Does anyone else here have the issue of not getting the system to consistently (if at all) request a password after waking from sleep or screensaver?

I'm having no luck with it, even though it's checked in the security options....Bit worrying since this is my casual surfing in coffee shops laptop and so I wouldn't want my info to fall into the wrong hands if I were to leave it somewhere or if it was stolen whilst it was sleeping.

Any advice would be appreciated.....I've already repaired permissions and that hasn't made any difference.

Thanks

Geoff

Guest obviousmoose

Hey all,

First of all,I really appreciate the effort you've put into this guide Paul.

I had a few problems, that i had posted, but i'm editing to remove them because i figured them out.

Thank you Paul!

Edited by obviousmoose