Paul's complete guide to installing OSX Leopard on your MSI Wind / Advent 4211

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest rcwtom

Has anyone had any issues with the Trackpad? I'm trying to turn on trackpad clicking.. but I cant see a trackpad applet in System Preferences? have I missed installing it?

I used the MSIWindosx86.iso for install..

Thanks

Guest greenwald13

What is the state of the headphone port issue? A USB dongle would be acceptable, it is just that I cannot justify purchasing a Wind and then putting OSX on it without being able to use my existing ultimate ear earphones.

Edited by greenwald13

Guest dogweed
Thanks DogCow! seems that reinstalling the kext, repairing the permission and rebuilding the extension cache fixed it!! The battery status survives my couple of times reboot test. Hopefully it will stay on.

Can some helpful soul help me out with some step-by-step instructions on how to repair the permissions to stop losing the battery status after a reboot. I get the X in the battery icon and the keyboard layout gets lost too, same as a few other guys... I'm a noobie on the Mac so I need a bit of help here!

Thanks!

Guest WearTheFoxHat
Does OS X support some of the WWAN mini-PCI cards?

I hope so. In fact once a combined wwan and wifi card is released that is mini-pci-e then my laptop will be complete !

Guest bingggo

If the internal mic and plug-in mic still aren't working, would a standard USB headphone/mic plug work for attaching a 3.5mm earphone/mic headset: for use with webcam/Skype etc?

Guest Myjazz

Hey guys,

As this wind is my first hackintosh, I'm still a bit scared of using it for important things... Could you tell me about your experience with hackitoshes ? Are they more likely to crash than a real mac ?

(because as far as I see, this little guy seems to behave just like my other macs, but it's only been two weeks...)

Guest tazevil666

very nice tuto :D

just before please excuse me for my english ! I'm a french guy :D

but I have only a problem :'(

I follow the tutorial correctly, all is ok during installation until the end to installation.

my wind reboot normally

The screen where you choose your country appear, (I select France) !

After I select the Keyboard (french)

All is ok, but when I'm on the Screen "Do you already own a mac?" I select No.

And after few long seconds the Installation go back to the Welcome Screen, for choose the country ;'(

Do you have an idea???

I have a Kalyway 10 5 2, with a MSI Wind White with XP. (Bios 1.06)

And I have add 1Go memory.

Thanks for help :angry:

Guest Dogcow
As this wind is my first hackintosh, I'm still a bit scared of using it for important things... Could you tell me about your experience with hackitoshes ? Are they more likely to crash than a real mac ?

My McAdvent is getting 3-5 hours of daily use using Safari, NetNewsWire and Mail. I'm experiencing at least one crash a day, a freeze with garbled screen graphics. Seemingly happens at random times, may be related to Flash 10 beta. Other than that it's excellent.

am using my wind almost no stopping daily, usually lightroom and firefox. In the car 1.5 hrs trip morning and eve, in the office, its on all day, sitting next to my office lappie, play with it occassonally, night at home leave it on until next morning - downloading things with firefox.

Almost no crashes that i can recall, only sometimes it doesn't want to shutdown - only sometimes... :D What i do notice is, this only happen when am in Firefox, when i uses it for more than 3 hrs, seems that the graphics memory refresh has a bit problem, sometimes some letters are garbled or very small of screen doesn't refreshed. When it happens, i just relaunch the app and all working fine again.

Its not a UMPC, its a UMMC :D Best Ultra Mobile Mac that i ever had!

Edited by asae

Guest Tulisan

my dell 1490 b/g and dell 1500 b/g/n arrived today and installed them on my two Winds. After installation, both just worked out of the box, detected as Airport, and easily configurable. This by far is my best appreciation for a wireless lan module (took 1 month to get delivered to me). I never realized how important a wireless connection is to me nowadays. Now, I'm a happy camper. One thing I noticed though, is that I don't have the "no ip address when resuming from sleep" that I experienced when using the ethernet port. After I wake it up from sleep, I can just start surfing and it will easily reconnect to my wireless network.

Edited by Tulisan

Guest angstmann

Mine is getting used full time for work at the moment, so thats 8 hours work, and a couple of hours in the evening if I am bored! NO crashes, no freezes, no strange behaviour of ANY kind to report. Temperature stays ultra low at all times. Only slight annoyance I can think of, and I'm clutching at straws, is the sound of the hard driving ticking/clicking when i am in a quiet environment. Absolutely solid as a rock is this machine... lets hope it stays that way. Still looking at the best way to get headphone/mic working. Need to find a suitable usb solution.

Guest Myjazz
Mine is getting used full time for work at the moment, so thats 8 hours work, and a couple of hours in the evening if I am bored! NO crashes, no freezes, no strange behaviour of ANY kind to report. Temperature stays ultra low at all times. Only slight annoyance I can think of, and I'm clutching at straws, is the sound of the hard driving ticking/clicking when i am in a quiet environment. Absolutely solid as a rock is this machine... lets hope it stays that way. Still looking at the best way to get headphone/mic working. Need to find a suitable usb solution.

Yes,I'd love to find a way to get mic in and headphones working. I guess the usb stuff would be a good move, but we need to find one available worldwide and not too expensive...

Guest bingggo
Yes,I'd love to find a way to get mic in and headphones working. I guess the usb stuff would be a good move, but we need to find one available worldwide and not too expensive...

Most USB headphone/mic adapter or USB headset will work wouldn't they?

Guest Myjazz

I'm looking for one with an internal mic, so I can ichat or skype without headphones and external mic...

Edited by Myjazz

Guest GavinNI
my dell 1490 b/g and dell 1500 b/g/n arrived today and installed them on my two Winds. After installation, both just worked out of the box, detected as Airport, and easily configurable. This by far is my best appreciation for a wireless lan module (took 1 month to get delivered to me). I never realized how important a wireless connection is to me nowadays. Now, I'm a happy camper. One thing I noticed though, is that I don't have the "no ip address when resuming from sleep" that I experienced when using the ethernet port. After I wake it up from sleep, I can just start surfing and it will easily reconnect to my wireless network.

Firstly, just the usual thanks for this tutorial - it seems excellent! I have an Advent 4211 reserved in PC World to pick up today (currently typing on an Air!).

Anyway, my question: the Dell 1500 works fine? I was going to get a 1490 as in the tutorial but 802.11n is important to me as I've a Time Capsule. So can you confirm it works just as well as the 1490?

Thanks!