Paul's complete guide to installing OSX Leopard on your MSI Wind / Advent 4211

Guest PaulOBrien

Just run 10.5.5 updater and getting kernel panics at boot on Advent 4211 (BIOS 1.08), was running well before the update.

Me too, I get the kernel panic on loading AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext...

all will be well after removing AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

this topic can be helpful: http://forums.msiwind.net/mac/released-t3551.html

Yes thank you, that helped! Now I'm stuck in the infinite loop with loginwindow.app however. I tried various things, such as permission repair, deleting plists and cache folders, and resetting the password, as advised in various articles on the internet.

Anyone experienced the same problem?

Update:

Mine too is an Kalyway 10.5.2 installation (updated to 10.5.4) and updated to 10.5.5 via AppleSoftwareUpdate.

Additionally to the measures mentioned above, I tried replacing loginwindow.app from a backup pre-update, still the same problem.

Edited by chiquet

Yes thank you, that helped! Now I'm stuck in the infinite loop with loginwindow.app however. I tried various things, such as permission repair, deleting plists and cache folders, and resetting the password, as advised in various articles on the internet.

Anyone experienced the same problem?

I do have exactly the same problem as you: infinite loop with loginwindow.app. But I have SSH access.

Any help is appreciated.

Update: Mine is an Kalyway 10.5.2 installation (updated to 10.5.4) and updated to 10.5.5 via AppleSoftwareUpdate.

Edited by Droemel

Guest normann2

hey paul,

thanks for the great guide. i managed to install osx onto my advent 4211 (created a bootable sd card and all went fine). the machine works as described, but i cant seem to be able to turn on the webcam. i tried macam, it wont see the webcam.

the camera works fine under xp though.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

thank you:)

Guest elalitte
hey paul,

thanks for the great guide. i managed to install osx onto my advent 4211 (created a bootable sd card and all went fine). the machine works as described, but i cant seem to be able to turn on the webcam. i tried macam, it wont see the webcam.

What application do you use to test the webcam ?

Did you try to install camtwist ? it worked for me.

Guest normann2
What application do you use to test the webcam ?

Did you try to install camtwist ? it worked for me.

Hey there,

thanks for the advice, camtwist works great:)

N.

Edited by normann2

Guest andrewgordo1

Hi I have a new wind that i am trying to install Leopard on.

I have followed all the instructions perfectly. It installs and then when reboots for the first time I am getting stuck in a welcome wizard loop.

It asks for Country, then Keyboard then Do you already own a mac - I choose Do not transfer and it then waits 10seconds and goes back to the beginning. I have tried all combinations but i cannot get past this point.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hoi andrewgordo, i had the same problem today.

If you have the default WLAN Card instered you have to CHECK under NETWORK the Realtek 1000 Driver (I hope i'm right).

After the new installation all should work.

I hope you understand ;)

greeZ

UPDATE: Btw. thx paul, for your great tutorial!!

Edited by ph0o

Guest daveleau

Hi everybody,

Great thread. Thanks for the hard work, Paul.

I am following the instructions to a tee, with the exception of installing to an extended FAT32 partition after WinXP is already on the system.

I get 1/3 through the installation and OS X installation says "Installation Failed, could not copy files to Volume\Leopard" (Leopard is the name of my OS X partition.

I have upgraded the memory to 2 GB, but made no other modifications. I have selected all the options outlined in the original post (ie vanilla kernel, patches, and video driver) and everything seems to be going well until it just stops. There are about 3GB of data transfered to the partition, but it is not bootable.

I am using the Kalyway 10.5.2. Once I get that installed, I plan to continue on to the 10.5.3 and 10.5.4 as described. But, I want to get 10.5.2 installed first.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dave

Guest rhober1970

Hi, just 2 questions:

1. Have you could keep the MS2 option for boot on Xp or Techguys recovery? How can I get this, with one more third option, MacoOsX, without loose the another two?

2. I go to upgrade my HD (80gb up to 320gb). How can I make a real and exactly clone fron my 80gb HD to my new 320Gb HD, keeping the MS2 boot, with those two options (XP or Techguys), with all my XP made installations?

Thanks, "Advent brothers" ;)

Edited by rhober1970

Hello people,

first ot all thanks to Paul for the great job he has done.

I have just installed mac on the wind (german kyboard).

I got stuck in the first set up. It asked me "do you own a mac alrady"

- next i select my country - Germany

- select the keybord - geman

- the i mark do not tansfer my information now

and after a while it bringd me back to the bning, where i have to select the country.

Can anyone help me pkease!

excuse my ruff english

thanks a lot!!

Guest WearTheFoxHat
Hello people,

first ot all thanks to Paul for the great job he has done.

I have just installed mac on the wind (german kyboard).

I got stuck in the first set up. It asked me "do you own a mac alrady"

- next i select my country - Germany

- select the keybord - geman

- the i mark do not tansfer my information now

and after a while it bringd me back to the bning, where i have to select the country.

Can anyone help me pkease!

excuse my ruff english

thanks a lot!!

Go back and select the Realtek R1000 (if I remember rightly) network card. Should work fine now.

thanks for the quick answers!

I guess i have one more dumb question.

you say go "back and select the realtec card"

Is that mean I have to start teh installation all over again ? or where do i need th select the card.

sorry first time going through a installation of a Mac software...

any hints I would be appriciated.

thanks!!

Yes, you have to install the OS again. :/

15. Click 'Customize'.

16. Completely uncheck 'Language Translations'.

17. Expand 'Kernels' and select ONLY 'kernel_vanilla_92'

18. Expand 'Graphics_Drivers', expand 'Intel_GMA' and select ONLY 'GMA950'

19. Completely uncheck 'Audio_Drivers'.

---

20. Completely uncheck 'Networks_Drivers'.

Here you check the Realtek1000 Card

---

21. Completely uncheck 'Mobo_Chipsets'.

22. Completely uncheck 'Thirds_Applications'.

23. Expand 'Patches' and select 'TimeMachineFix' and 'PowerManagement_bundle'.

24. Click 'Done'

GreeZ

Edited by ph0o

I'll update the original instructions.

P

thanks, installation worked out fine now.

Germany kebord layout works, only some caractors are scrued up (- / ; .* )

So now i will work on the wifi issue and see if I will find an USB W aln stick or a compatible wifi card.

Is actually bootcamp and the installation of windows working ?

As i mentioned i am a fiirdt time user and will propably need some time to get used to it.

Paul again great work i will donate for sure.

Guest rhober1970

HELP HELP HELP HELP

I have bought 9 days ago an ADVENT 4211, but today it doesn't boot.. the boot init has reported an error and windows doesnt't boot, and the computer doesn't give me the choice for boot on techguys recovery partition.

I says me to reinstall the recovery disck, but I have not choice for do it already, so I HAVE NOT RECOVERY DISC.

Please, how can I get a copy of my recovery disc?????

Thanks in advance

Guest elalitte
Germany kebord layout works, only some caractors are scrued up (- / ; .* )

You can use ukelele to make your own keyboard. It's a bit hard to use, but you can manage to do anything you want with your keyboard.

So now i will work on the wifi issue and see if I will find an USB W aln stick or a compatible wifi card.

I tested dell 1390 and 1510 and both work. it's better than using a usb port.

Edited by elalitte

Guest tssalgado
Go back and select the Realtek R1000 (if I remember rightly) network card. Should work fine now.

Does it mean that the built-in wifi of msi wind will work now without buying any hardware?

Edited by tssalgado

Guest idcolvin

WORKING OK (i.e. with caveats!)

- VGA out (working as a secondary display, but not in mirrored mode!)

- Keyboard layout (for some reason the backslash on the UK keyboard between shift and Z is not detected, remapped to key to left of '1')

Hi Paul,

Can you clarify for me how the vga works on this? If I understand you right, one can plug an external monitor into the osx advent and use it with just the external monitor at full resolution (is there a limit to how big a monitor it can drive?); mirrored mode not working means, I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that you can't have the same thing displayed on the wind's monitor as the external monitor, but does that mean one can have both on at the same time thereby extending the display? Can one use it for powerpoint presentations where one screen shows the notes (on the laptop) and the other the slides? That would be very useful.

Lastly, would you say that currently this looks like the most compatible netbook for putting os x on?

Many thanks for sharing your knowledge with us all.

Regards,

Ian