Paul's complete guide to installing OSX Leopard on your MSI Wind / Advent 4211

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest xbrillx

Hmm just noticed something odd on my Advent Leopard :

I've installed another 1gig of RAM. Under About this mac and in Geek Bench it shows the memory as 2.00GB 0 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM ?

Now should the MHz really be 0 ?!?

Hi, I think you may need to do a full re-install from the start ? I can't be sure though, see if one of the more seasoned users on the board can offer a better solution.

Do you have XP installed on another partition of the HD at all ?

thanks for your advise, but I will re-install all of this IF and only IF I don't have any other way. Nope, I don't have XP installed.

Thanks

Guest SonOfJobs

1390 Dell card will work aswell? I got one shipped to Sweden for 19USD. Rather cheap!

Also, I am having really big problems with my webcam. The screen gets mashed up (the picture is on top of the window) and the rest of the window is all green.

I am using the Wind installation disc that is to be found at Piratebay.

I might be the first MSI Wind Mac OS X user in Sweden BTW.

Regards,

Klaus

Guest mac money
Update still unable to get past step 3 of guide with kalyway 10.5.2 or 10.5.1 or msiwindosx86, i even tried installing it from my working samsung hackbook to an external HDD but still could not get past step 3.

I digged up my Kalyway 10.4.10 which is the only version i was able to install on my samsung and tried installing to the external HDD, i tried to follow the guide as best possible will test at work if theres any joy.

Question is there any way to get passed this waiting for root device error. Has any one who purchased a advent 4211 in the last 3 weeks had the smae problem.

**Update**

still no joy

kalyway still will not get into the installer

furtherest it gets:

ApplePS2Trackpad: synaptics Touchpad v6.5

still waiting on root device

msiwindosx86 seems to get a little further but stops at:

Extension "com.apple.driver.itunesPhoneDriver" has no explict kernal dependency: using version 6.0

i added the chameleon patch to kalyway 10.5.2 and booted with options -v -x

it stops at

extension "rtl.r1000.nic.ext" has immediate dependecies on both com.apple.kernal and com.apple.kpi components: use only one style

(Screenshots of all all erros will be uploaded shortly if need)

i am using an external drive which is detected fine and boots all other os's, i have tried using optimised defaults, achi enabled or disabled. I have even removed extra ram and added dell 1390 card but still no joy.

Why is no one else having this issue, i burned all images using alchol 120% at slowest speed which was 3x maybe i should try different program?

I am really clutching at straws now, and i even have an apple sticker ready for when install is complete.

Please some shed some light on this issue

i am now trying iatkos 10.5.4, then leo4all i am also expermenting with boot options but so far no dice.

Guest SonOfJobs

Hi ya all.

Three questions:

1. Webcam is not working in Photobooth, but it works in iChat (lagging a lot though). Anyone else that has the same problem? If so, anyone that has the solution?

2. It will work with a Dell DW 1390 card (broadcom based) just as good as with a DW 1490 card, right?

3. Anyone that knows if there is a cheap/affordable USB sound out stick on the market?

/Klaus

Guest grifone

ok guys .i'm a totall n00b to all this

i have an eeepc701 running on xandros linux.

if i have big enough SD card could i install leopard on it and have them running in dual boot?

Guest elalitte
1. Webcam is not working in Photobooth, but it works in iChat (lagging a lot though). Anyone else that has the same problem? If so, anyone that has the solution?
Try camtwist, it works great.
2. It will work with a Dell DW 1390 card (broadcom based) just as good as with a DW 1490 card, right?
Yes !
3. Anyone that knows if there is a cheap/affordable USB sound out stick on the market?
Somebody send a link in the tread to that. I paid mine with a logitech headset but a bit expensive (40€)

Guest mac money

Hello again

This is my final question before i reserve myself to only using XP and ubuntu on my Advent 4211

What bios version is everybody running

I updated to 1.08 before i tried installing mac

I have since noticed that the Fn + (PgUp, PgDn, Home, End) keys no longer work in XP or Ubuntu

Has anyone else using this bios version had any similar problems and could this be the reason i am the only person on this forum who can not even get into the installer

Guest SonOfJobs
Hello again

This is my final question before i reserve myself to only using XP and ubuntu on my Advent 4211

What bios version is everybody running

I updated to 1.08 before i tried installing mac

I have since noticed that the Fn + (PgUp, PgDn, Home, End) keys no longer work in XP or Ubuntu

Has anyone else using this bios version had any similar problems and could this be the reason i am the only person on this forum who can not even get into the installer

Try NUM LOCK!

/Klaus

Guest mac money
Try NUM LOCK!

/Klaus

Downgraded bios to 1.05 from 1.08 and the keys are now working

After work i will reburn kalyway using a program other than alcohol and try again

I did have access to a mac book pro at work earlier and was able to boot kalyway but an option came up for cd's efi or windows on windows it hung with an error code before it even booted.

EFi booted installer but did not find my harddrive that i put in a caddie which was not connected on boot.

I refuse to give up, and hopefully will be back with good news soon.

Guest mac money

After downgrading to bios version 1.05 and using windosx86 i have finally got leo installed

Im am now just configuring my triple boot and im good.

I made OSX active partition and now when i choose xp in grub it brings up darwin

When i choose xp i get Hal.DLL missing error.

Does anyone remember the key to press from xp cd start that regenerates the HAL

*edit*

reinstalled xp from back up only issue now

is unless osx partition is active i cant boot.

I Added

# OSX86

title OSX86

root (hd0,2)

chainloader +1

to grub but i get error parsing number 23

i added chain0 to C:/ and edited boot.ini

But this damn advent boots using BCD to give access to tech guys recovery tools.

So it boots to vista boot loader 1st then xp boot loader, and then os x entry comes up all gives an error

So far the only way i can boot into osx is to make its partition active and then choosing the vista loader option under grub.

But this denies me access to XP any ideas people

Edited by mac money

I just want to say a big thank you to Paul for his guide : my medion akoya 10.5.4 works perfectly.

Just gave it 2go of ram and a new wifi card (the one of my mac mini core duo), french keyboard layout.

Edited by fpoil

Guest elalitte
french keyboard layout.
Is the keyboard working completely with the medion ? like the | or ` keys ?

I tried making one with ukelele but could'nt get the ` to work.

If yes, could you give your keyboard layout her ?

Guest UndeadDevil

Does anyone know of anywhere selling the higher spec (6-cell) Linux Version of the Advent 4211??

I'm pretty positive I'll be buying the Advent 4211 from Currys Digital (270) in December so looking forward to Dual Booting Mac OS X ;)

Edit: Deleted info and link about Realtek OS X Drivers as noticed it has been posted in different topic in the Similare Topics below

Edited by UndeadDevil

Guest roger99

I had real difficulty installing OS X on my Advent 4211. I'd started by changing the HD for a 160GB I'd previously been using in an external case with my Macs. Mostly it refused to recognise it as a start-up disk, although I got as far as installing 10.5.3 once or twice. Finally I thought to check the options (which I hadn't previously looked at) when partitioning the drive, clicked on 'default' and it changed the setting from 'Apple partition scheme' to 'GUID'. After that the install went through without any problem.

Probably not a common issue but worth checking if you are having problems.

By the way, I'd like to use the HD I removed as an external but I don't want to lose the original Advent XP install in case I ever want to sell the computer. Is there any way of backing it up or can I just keep any Advent files and re-install from a standard XP disk?

Guest UndeadDevil
By the way, I'd like to use the HD I removed as an external but I don't want to lose the original Advent XP install in case I ever want to sell the computer. Is there any way of backing it up or can I just keep any Advent files and re-install from a standard XP disk?

A Application like Norton Ghost, PC Disk Image, Self-Image, assuming the Default Installation Restore is on a seperate Partition from the main OS Install.

Edited by UndeadDevil

Ok, Update for anyone interested, I have the UK Medion Akoya Mini E1210. I am currently successfully dualbooting XP and OS X, Wifi is working, graphics is fine, only problem is the battery kext needs reinstalling all the time and obviously no input devices.

For information the RALINK (Not Realtek) Wifi card in the Medion does NOT work with the drivers on the Ralink website. I emailed Ralink and they sent me a driver that DOES work.

For the GMA950 I used an updated one that I found linked here somewhere from another forum and is farily recently, near the end of september. I have it on my OSX desktop still if anyone needs it uploading.

Also, I used the KALYWAY 10.5.2 and associated process, MSIWindOSX86 DOES NOT work.

Again, DO NOT follow Pauls video, it has some key mistakes that will break the install, instead follow his text guide, this does work.

Now that I have everything working the next step is to get a working input driver for the microphone and for the headphone socket then everything works.

Also, I need to look into fixing the the battery.kext randomly uninstalling itself and not getting found every so many restarts.

Guest elalitte
For information the RALINK (Not Realtek) Wifi card in the Medion does NOT work with the drivers on the Ralink website. I emailed Ralink and they sent me a driver that DOES work.

Could you post it here ? or somewhere ?

Guest zac.sonoio

Hello everybody! :-)

I've just installed osx86 on my Msi wind (thank you very much for the very detailed step-by-step instruction :-) )

I'm from Italy so my keyboard is a little bit different, btw using osx I can't use the little key between shift and Z (is there any workaround?) and I cannot even use symbols like @, #, [ and ]

They shold work with altgr+ò, à, ecc, in windows or alt+ò, à, ecc in osx but they don't work at all. Any ideas on how to fix it? Thanks

Guest elalitte
Hello everybody! :-)

I've just installed osx86 on my Msi wind (thank you very much for the very detailed step-by-step instruction :-) )

I'm from Italy so my keyboard is a little bit different, btw using osx I can't use the little key between shift and Z (is there any workaround?) and I cannot even use symbols like @, #, [ and ]

They shold work with altgr+ò, à, ecc, in windows or alt+ò, à, ecc in osx but they don't work at all. Any ideas on how to fix it? Thanks

You can use ukelele to make your own keymap.

Hey! I'm very new to this, so please be nice :lol:

I've just ordered my Advent 4211 from PC World :D

Just have a few questions..

1. Does the Laptop have 2 RAM slots, 1 empty and 1 with 1gb in already? I think this is the case :/

2. Has a solution for headphone port been found yet?

3. What happens when battery is low/runs out? (Does OS X warn you or anything or does the laptop just cut off)

4. Will THIS hard drive work in the laptop? I think it will >.;)

Edited by Conn18