Paul's complete guide to installing OSX Leopard on your MSI Wind / Advent 4211

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest loffers
Have you also managed to install iLife 08 on your Advent netbook hackintosh? How much HDD and RAM do both need on this machine?

Thanks for the public service - bringing Apple's wonderful OS X to those who can't afford their over priced macbooks.

Cheers,

Paul

In fact, thinking of saving even more... Do you know if your process will also work for OS X Tiger (I have bought a copy of that already)?

Ta,

Paul

Guest JHerrin

i hope you see this because it definitely has been a long time. i recently bought a msi wind and your walkthrough was awesome

so as soon as i updated to 10.5.4 my darwin boot loader completely stopped working. as it stands now i am trying to restore it with a time machine backup with the kalyway disk but i might have to do a clean install then restore with time machine. so do you have any wisdom to share about that. also at some point after i installed .kext files the battery meter worked, also on first boot the battery meter worked but i think when i did the 10.5.4 update i think i lost the battery meter, any idea why?

thanks so much for the previous walkthrough and i hope you can help

James

Guest cyberghost
I recently got an Advent 4211 variant of the MSI Wind (identical hardware, different colour) from PC World at a bargainous £279.99 (considerably cheaper than the MSI version!). Of course, the first thing I did was upgrade the 80GB hard drive to a 160GB one (same vendor, same model!) that I had lying around, chucked in an extra 1GB DDR2 667MHz SODIMM (bringing the total to 2GB), and then my thoughts turned to which OS to run on it!

Altho it ships with the perfectly likable Windows XP SP3, I really wanted to know if the machine, with it's respected Intel Atom processor, was up to the job of running OSX Leopard, my operating system of choice. As it turns out, it's running really well.... and this is my guide to getting your Wind running it too.

Enjoy

:)

P

P.S. A number of people have asked how they can make donations, you can do so my clicking here (choose any amount that suits you!). All donations will go ONLY towards buying the next Netbook to OSX! :( Step by step for Aspire One next perhaps?

What is and isn't going to work

Before we start, I want to make clear that although I am using my device every day and it works great, not everything is 100% compared to a a regular XP build, or a real mac. VERY close, but not quite. The details...

WORKING GREAT!

- Graphics card running accelerated at 1024x600 native resolution

- Ethernet

- Webcam

- Internal speakers

- USB

- SD card slot

- Sleep

- Bluetooth

- Hotkeys for display, volume etc.

- Touchpad

WORKING OK (i.e. with caveats!)

- VGA out (working as a secondary display, but not in mirrored mode!)

- Keyboard layout (for some reason the backslash on the UK keyboard between shift and Z is not detected, remapped to key to left of '1')

NOT WORKING

- WiFi (see below!)

- Headphone port

- Mic port

- Internal mic

- Hibernate - native macs hibernate using EFI signals, which doesn't work on 'hackintoshes'. Still pursuing a fix for this!

Of course, of this list, the non working WiFi is the real killer. The mini PCI express card inside is a Realtek RTL8187SE part, and at the time of writing, no drivers have been found for OSX. I am optimistic this might change, but in the interim I splashed £12.99 on a Dell 1490 broadcom based card on eBay. A like for like easy fit, this card is picked up natively by OSX.

Think you can live with these caveats? I definitely can for the benefits I get! :( If so, then proceed on to the post below! :rolleyes:

Paul please let me get a little specific about this... is it that the absence or incompatibility of the sound driver thats causing a problem with the sound device. Wi-Fi could be solved but what about the internal speakers of the notebook if your using one i guess that should narrow down our problem right

Besides i guess headphone port mic port and internal mics might be the same problem i mean they might have the same solution here.

What we are looking at here is most possibly a version of our sound driver that caliberates with os x leopard. well lets hope for the best here

Guest elalitte
What is the difference between the Kalyway and the MSIWindowsx86 installation ?

The MSIWindowsx86 comes with all the good kexts installed and don't need any specific method to upgrade.

It's quicker and easier to use.

Guest Mac Hosehead

To people who are having trouble booting into their OSX installation or to those who just want to see OSX run on their netbook without actually installing anything:

There is a new Hackintosh release that is designed to boot and run from a USB drive. It is called iPortable OSx86 10.5.4. It is a disk image that can be transferred to a flash stick by using included clone software. Also included is a bootloader that is installed after cloning. I was able to boot from it on my Wind and then I installed the kexts from Paul's utility pack. I also needed to install ApplePS2Controller.kext and AppleACPIPlatform.kext to get the keyboard and trackpad working. Once booted, it works quite well but a certain amount of patience is required when running from a USB drive. This release is designed for diagnostic/debug purposes, thus regular apps have been removed and many utilities have been added. Note that if you are considering trying this that you will need at least an 8 Gig stick and will need a OSX machine to prep the stick. A USB keyboard and mouse will come in handy to install the kexts.

-MH

Guest nscxp2005

Hi Paul,

Could you tell me how to install OSX Retail version on this laptop? I have just got one & would love to put the retail version so I can update using software update.

Please can you let me know ASAP.

Thank you for this great guide

All the best

NSCXP2005

Guest nubShad

Anyone know if there is a fix out there for the audio out/mic issue for the Wind? I am still holding out on getting one and hope there is a fix. Various articles are giving conflicting info.

Guest nubShad

Anyone know if there is a fix out there for the audio out/mic issue for the Wind? I am still holding out on getting one and hope there is a fix. Various articles are giving conflicting info.

Guest Mar/Dawg

ive been reading up on as much as possible and this has been outrageously informative but i have a question.

I understand the insall of leopard however i want to be able to dual boot with xp

now i already have xp installed, is there and easy way to install leopard and then change boot os or is it easier to install leopard and then install xp?

or am i missing something entirely?

Guest Mac Hosehead

I have been "playing" with the iATKOS_5i 10.5.5 release on my Wind. One intention of this release is to result in an installation that can be upgraded from Software Update safely and without reinstalling kexts. So far, it easily updates to 10.5.6 but the display kexts still need to be reinstalled. It also has EFI v9 which does seem to behave better at sleeping but I haven't had enough time to really check this out. I am still trying different options but it looks good enough that I will likely move to it at some point.

-MH

Guest Edilson Guimaraes
Has anyone gone 10.5.6 yet?

Also interested to hear who's applied the new chameleon version to get full hibernate support...

P

I treid make update and my keyboard is dead

Guest Mac Hosehead

Thank you, Paul, for the link to the RTL8187SE utility. I have moved to the iATKOS 5i release and it shows up as an Airport wireless device. It seems to work well and I have no problems with it at the present. As I mentioned previously, sleep is better but not quite at par with a real mac. It might be the best it can do with this hardware. I am at 10.5.6 and I haven't found any new issues to be concerned with. Migration Assistant is definitely a handy tool for bringing in everything from the last install.

-MH

Hi, guys.

I'm having a problem getting a 1024x600 resolution.

I have:

1 Installed Kalyway 10.5.2

2 Installed the Paul's driver packs exactly as per th instructions.

This gives lots of display resolutions but not 1024x600

Tried again.

1 Fresh install of 10.5.2 by Kalyway

2 Kalyway 10.5.3 as per instructions

3 Apple 10.5.4 update as per instructions by Paul

4 Apple 10.5.5 update as per instructions by Paul

5 Installed Paul's driver kext packs as his instructions on page 1 of the thread

This again gives lots of resolutions available but not 1024x600.

In the BIOS speedstep is off.

Tried using the kext helper to reinstall the graphics Kexts but no change.

What can I do to try to get a 1024x600 resolution working?

I appreciate many people here have had no problems with this but it doesn't seem to be happening for me. What can I do do fiddle around and maybe 'redo' all the Intel graphics stuff?

PS I had a look and in the Extensions folder in system there are things marked Intel gmax3100 etc as well as Intel gma950 stuff. Is that correct?

Guest Krister The Norseman
Last update: 14/07/08 - video and images online!

What you need to install OSX on your Wind

Here's a list of what you MUST have to install OSX on your Wind...

- An external DVD drive

- A DVD containing Kalyway 10.5.2 install (you can find this on the usual 'torrent sites')

- The Kalyway 10.5.3 upgrader (as above) on a USB stick or CD/DVD

- The official 10.5.4 DELTA update from here on a USB stick or CD/DVD. Do NOT use the Combo updater.

- My Wind driver and utility pack (download here) on a USB stick or CD / DVD

And here's an item you really SHOULD have to install OSX on your Wind...

- A proper licenced copy of Leopard

Now, of course you could install without the above item, but i'm in favour of being fair to Apple. Regardless of the intricacies and enforcability (or otherwise) of the EULA, it's playing fair to buy a licence for Leopard if you plan to use it on a machine. IMHO anyway. It's up to you of course, but it makes me feel better! I look at it as 'Apple won't build me a 10" notebook so I have to do it myself' :(

I also have upgraded my RAM to 2GB... very cheap indeed at Play.com!

Disclaimer

Of course, installing OSX on your Wind is gonna wipe whatever is on there already. I'm sure you know that already :( Also, if anything goes horribly wrong, you're following my guide at your own risk m'kay? :D

Before you start - ensure you have BIOS version of at least 1.05 installed! You can view the BIOS version by entering the BIOS setup (press 'del' at startup).

- MSI machines: download your BIOS update here

- Advent machines: download your BIOS update here

After updating your BIOS, enter BIOS setup and press F9 to 'restore best performance defaults'. This step is VITAL!

Step by Step - installing OSX on your Wind

1. Insert the Kalyway 10.5.2 disk into your external DVD drive, and plug it into your Wind

2. Start your Wind, and press F11 when prompted to choose a boot device. When the blue list pops up, select your DVD drive

3. When prompted to hit a key to boot from CD/DVD, hit a key.... you'll see a ton of text scroll up the screen - just sit tight B)

4. You'll next be presented with your language select screen. I imagine you want English, so just hit enter! It'll then sit doing 'Preparing Installation' for a while.

5. When you get the 'Welcome' screen, don't hit continue straight away! Move your point to the 'Utilities' menu, and select 'Disk Utility'.

6. When the Disk Utility application has loaded, click your main drive in the left hand pane (probably the very top entry, 'WDC WD800 or similar')

7. Click 'Partition' on the right hand pane.

8. Under 'Volume Scheme', click '1 partition'.

9. Give your disk a nice name. I chose 'Leopard'. Original, I know!

10. Click 'Apply'

11. Wait for it to do it's thing, then select 'Quit Disk Utility' from the 'Disk Utility' menu.

12. You'll now be taken back to the installer welcome page. Click 'Continue'.

13. Click 'Agree' when the legalese blurb pops up.

14. Choose a destination drive - obviously the one you just partitioned! Click 'Continue'.

15. Click 'Customize'.

16. Completely uncheck 'Language Translations'.

17. Expand 'Kernels' and select ONLY 'kernel_vanilla_92'

18. Expand 'Graphics_Drivers', expand 'Intel_GMA' and select ONLY 'GMA950'

19. Completely uncheck 'Audio_Drivers'.

20. Expand 'Networks_Drivers'. and select ONLY 'RTL1000'.

21. Completely uncheck 'Mobo_Chipsets'.

22. Completely uncheck 'Thirds_Applications'.

23. Expand 'Patches' and select 'TimeMachineFix' and 'PowerManagement_bundle'.

24. Click 'Done'

25. Click 'Install' and go and make yourself a cup of tea! :rolleyes:

26. The install will now take place, if you want to speed it up, you can 'Skip' the installation DVD check.

27. re: the Time Remaining calculation, it's not really that accurate. In particular, the 'Time Remaining: About a minute' is pretty optimistic :)

28. When the 'Install Succeeded' screen appears, eject the install DVD and hit 'Restart'.

29. OS will now start up for the first time, and take you through the setup wizard.

30. When you have booted into OSX for the first time, insert the disk containing the Kalyway 10.5.3 update.

31. Run '1_Kalyway_UpdCombo10.5.3.pkg' and step through the installation process. Do NOT hit restart when prompted!

32. After the above install has completed, run '2_kalyway_10.5.3_kernel.pkg' and step through the installation process. Select the 'vallina_kernel_9.3' kernel.

33. Restart your Wind.

34. When prompted to do so, press F8 to interrupt the Darwin startup.

35. Type 'update -v' (without the quotes obviously), and press enter. Your Wind may reboot a couple of times during this update process. Don't panic!

36. When you have booted back into OSX, insert the disk containing the 10.5.4 delta update.

37. Double click the 'MacOSXUpd10.5.4.dmg' to mount the image.

38. After the image has mounted, run 'MacOSXUpd10.5.4.pkg' and step through the installation process. Restart when prompted.

39. When you have booted into OSX, insert the disk containing my Wind driver and utility pack.

40. Select the 'utilities' directory in my pack.

41. Drag 'kext helper b7' somewhere helpful. Your 'Applications' folder for example.

42. MAKING CPU SHOW U CORRECTLY IN ABOUT THIS MAC: Double click 'AboutThisMac' in the 'utilities' directory and step through the installation process.

44. ENABLING SOUND: Change to the 'sound' directory and double click 'AzaliaAudio.pkg' and step through the installation process. Do NOT hit restart when prompted!

45. GRAPHICS, BATTERY ICON, ABOUT THIS MAC FIXES / MACHINE TYPE COMPATABILITY, ETHERNET AND SLEEP ON LID CLOSED: Change to the 'kexts' directory. Run kexthelper, and drag all of the .kext files in this directory to it's window. Switch to the kexthelper window, input your password, then click 'Easy Install'.

46. Reboot!

47. Run 'System Preferences' -> 'Energy Saver' and select 'Show Details'. Select 'Options' and then 'Show battery status in menu bar'.

47. FIXING KEYBOARD MAP (UK keyboard layouts only): Change to the 'kaylayout' directory on my Wind driver and utility pack, and copy 'Advent 4211.keylayout' to '\Library\Keyboard Layouts'. Run 'System Preferences' -> 'International', and click 'Input Menu'. SCroll down the list until you see 'Advent 4211'. Click the checkbox, and you will see a flag appear in your menu bar. Click this to select the Advent layout.

48. Almost done! All you need to do now is to get a network connection (either by Ethernet or Wireless if you are using a non-standard card), and run 'Software Update' from the 'Apple' menu to get the latest software updates.

Congratulations, you have OSX on your Wind! :P

have you any idea how i could get hte msiwindosx86.iso to boot from a 8gb memorystick?

any software i could use?

i dont have a external optical drive to boot from, but i do have several exernal harddrives.

step by step please, if you dont mind.

Thanks in advance, yours truly Krister The Norseman

have you any idea how i could get hte msiwindosx86.iso to boot from a 8gb memorystick?

any software i could use?

i dont have a external optical drive to boot from, but i do have several exernal harddrives.

step by step please, if you dont mind.

Thanks in advance, yours truly Krister The Norseman

We did this although I'll need to try any remember the exact method!

Here's what we followed, you need to scroll down a bit to find the method for installing kalyway from a USB stick. You specifically need osx86 toold build 149 not a more recent build which effectively makes the image you've burnt on the usb stick bootable.

http://www.venera7.com/22-11-2008/installi...e-macbook-nano/

Edited by eoin

Guest Krister The Norseman
We did this although I'll need to try any remember the exact method!

Here's what we followed, you need to scroll down a bit to find the method for installing kalyway from a USB stick. You specifically need osx86 toold build 149 not a more recent build which effectively makes the image you've burnt on the usb stick bootable.

http://www.venera7.com/22-11-2008/installi...e-macbook-nano/

isnt there a software that mounts images on a usb flashdrive?

then make it bootable?

and i have access to both xp and ubuntu, but not mac(yet)

please show me the easiest way to mount it.

thank you for your help, Krister The Norseman

Guest nscxp2005

Hi Paul,

Could you tell me how to install the Retail version of OSX on the Advent 4211? I would prefer that version instead of the kalyway version as I will be able to update it using software updates.

Please can you let me know or refer me to a guide that can help with making this possible.

Thank you for your time

All the best

NSCXP2005

• 2 weeks later...
Guest compulady

Thanks Paul! I followed your instructions and got my new MSI Wind that I got yesterday running Leopard in a little over an hour. It's not quite as smooth as one of my Macs but it sure is fun. I'm about to put a few apps on it. My question is about updates to apps like iLife 08. Do I need to manually update all Apple apps? Also what about updating beyond 10.5.4, any good options? Thanks again for the help!

Hi Everyone.

Firstly id just like to wish Paul and everyone on the forum a Happy New Year! I have finally got my MSI Wind and i love it!!!! I tried to install os x on it and when i go to install it i get to the text after boot off the dvd and it get a constant error sayin SAM Multimedia Read and Write ERROR. I have tried burning the image of kalyway at various speeds and it boots in my desktop fine.

If anyone can advise i would be very greatful

Harvz

Guest adamcmdtv

I have osx installed on my wind and have the realtek drivers with the realtek wireless utility that is reading my wireless network but am having trouble actually getting it to connect. It says its connected but have no internet. Can anyone help?

Guest loffers
Has anyone gone 10.5.6 yet?

Also interested to hear who's applied the new chameleon version to get full hibernate support...

P

I have not yet risked the auto update to 10.5.6, but would like to benefit from the security update. Anyone found a workaround to the problems listed (I have an Advent 4211, worked fine following your instructions and Realtek drivers for wireless)?

Two other problems I would love to have fixes to:

1) Built in webcam does not work, cannot turn on with Fn + F6

2) Synaptics Touchpad does not work for taps, have to just use for mouse movement and use buttons for left & right clicks.

Any fixes now out there for these two problems?

Otherwise I am loving my Mac netbook (running 2Gb of RAM and living with the 80 Gb HDD as I have a 500GB external at home.

Cheers,

Paul

Guest zerosignal0

Thanks Paul for the great work... My Averatec thanks you :)

I do have a question though. I currently have everything working and installed just as you described but I dont have ethernet (internal not wireless). I have attempted to reinstall the realtek kext but it seems to make no difference... Is there any advice you may be able to give me?

Thanks in advance.

G

Guest zerosignal0
Thanks Paul for the great work... My Averatec thanks you :)

I do have a question though. I currently have everything working and installed just as you described but I dont have ethernet (internal not wireless). I have attempted to reinstall the realtek kext but it seems to make no difference... Is there any advice you may be able to give me?

Thanks in advance.

G

Sorry for the previous post but I have found the answer to my own question...

http://www.hutsby.net/2008/08/osx-ethernet...n-msi-wind.html

After reviewing this info I did find that the auto-negotiation for the network adapter is flakey and needed to be set manually to 100mbps manual 1500mtu. I hope this helps anyone else with this problem!

Again thanks for this Paul!!!