Paul's complete guide to installing OSX Leopard on your MSI Wind / Advent 4211

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Tulisan
What did you use to remove the standoff? The pliers I tried with keep slipping...

I think Paul used a small screwdriver, inserted it in the hole and just rocked it side to side until it became loose. Just be careful not to rock it too much.

Guest dogweed

This is the most interesting thing I've come across in ages - well done that man...

First newbie question - I know nothing about Kalyway, what is this exactly? Can I do the install on an Advent with a boxed OSX or does the Kalyway image contain hacks to make it work on the hardware?

'Scuse the simple question - but I've not had much luck searching for an answer, all help welcome! Or if there is a forum sticky or wiki entry to help me - link?

Guest WearTheFoxHat
What did you use to remove the standoff? The pliers I tried with keep slipping...

I used a pair of pliers and kept turning the standoff clockwise and anti clockwise. When it is spinning freely, then gently pull it out, and it should just come off.

Be careful though, and don't break the mobo! (Im not going to be liable for broken mobos!)

Guest WearTheFoxHat
This is the most interesting thing I've come across in ages - well done that man...

First newbie question - I know nothing about Kalyway, what is this exactly? Can I do the install on an Advent with a boxed OSX or does the Kalyway image contain hacks to make it work on the hardware?

'Scuse the simple question - but I've not had much luck searching for an answer, all help welcome! Or if there is a forum sticky or wiki entry to help me - link?

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=77069

Kaly has repackaged the mac install with extra scripts and drivers which make it more accessible to other platforms. I've never used a mac for longer than half an hour, and Im really impressed with my Advent running Leopard! :D

Guest man_bites_dog

I posted my problem at the other Wind board but thought that I'd post here too as you guys seem to be more hardcore - I've got issues with bluetooth. It was fine after installing using Paul's method but subsequently it's gone mad. OSX sees the bluetooth hardware but it refuses to connect to anything as I can't seem to switch it on. I've obviously tried using the function key on / off but still no go. What's going on?

My hardware is an Advent 4211 with Dell 1390 wifi and 2 gigs ram.

Should I try to re-install the blueooth kext?

Anyone else having the same problem?

Cheers

***UPDATE***

Just figured out that it had to do with adding my mobile phone as a bluetooth modem - it somehow caused pain and suffering. Once I deleted both the phone as a device and the bluetooth connection in the Network control panel,all was hunky dory. There must be a way to fix this. I will continue to investigate.

Edited by man_bites_dog

Guest dogweed

In the process of doing my homework before I splash the cash - no modem, would a Leopard Advent work with a USB dial-up modem? Something like the Zoom USB Dongle Modem?

I'm a-hoping so cos it's a deal breaker if not.... b*lls...

Guest pierrox

i think someone asked about the difference between Paul's method and the msiwindosx86.iso. Here is one: paul's method gives you access to the other interface languages which is neat if you dont want to use your msi in English. The other method might be simpler but its a mess when you want to install more languages.

Guest Dogcow
In the process of doing my homework before I splash the cash - no modem, would a Leopard Advent work with a USB dial-up modem? Something like the Zoom USB Dongle Modem?

I'm a-hoping so cos it's a deal breaker if not.... b*lls...

If the modem is supported by MacOS X then they it should be fine, the Apple USB modem would definitely work for example.

Guest dogweed
If the modem is supported by MacOS X then they it should be fine, the Apple USB modem would definitely work for example.

Thanks for that - the Zoom seems to be supported by standard OS X installs so that might be a way for me to go... the Apple version is (as for all Apple products) twice the price :D

Edited by dogweed

Guest fishnchips
the Apple version is (as for all Apple products) twice the price :D

And twice as sexy ;-) Oh dear, I'm finding Apple modems sexy... Mental note - go out more.

Guest fishnchips
I used a pair of pliers and kept turning the standoff clockwise and anti clockwise. When it is spinning freely, then gently pull it out, and it should just come off.

Be careful though, and don't break the mobo! (Im not going to be liable for broken mobos!)

I'll try it tomorrow. Don't worry I won't come bitching if I mess up my mobo! I've been messing things up all by myself for years!

Guest crisb

Hey guys, can this support higher resolutions on external monitors?

Has anyone tried?

I want to buy a 20" external lcd monitor to run Xcode and Garageband which weren't really built for 1024x600 and would benefit from the larger screen :D

Many thanks... had my setup been running for a few days here smoothly, just waiting for the wifi card :D

Edited by crisb

Hi Paul,

just wanna to thank you for the guide, got my Wind U100 on Sunday, and now is running 10.5.4 like a wind.

Am using dual boot with XP, and Kaliway took over the arrangement of dual booting using Darwin's Loader automatically. I still keep the XP one as maybe there are firmware updates from MSI which you can only do via Windows (so far). My wind was upgraded to 2GB ram and 320GB hdd :-)

As you mentioned, Wireless is not working, tried to fit in an airport card from my mac mini c2d (bye bye warranty on Mac Mini and on Wind), unfortunately I can't find any driver for it to be used in XP as well, so i replaced it back with the Realtek original one and just use a prolink USB wireless while in Mac mode.

Line out and mic in also not working as you notified, i tried to install SkyppyRetard ALC888 driver that somepeople says it works in 10.4 but alas! no luck - Speaker not even working in 10.5 ALTHOUGH the Built-in audio is actually detected (if i checked thru SysProfiler). In Azalia, it doesn't. So i got back to Azalia again and will get an el-cheap'o usb audio interface later over the weekend.

One weird observation is sometimes the battery icon in status bar just showing battery with X in it, and it says no battery. To fix this, i re-apply the kext from you on ACPI and SMBIOS everytime. Any idea why?

The other thing is, although am not so sure whether this is a Wind's issue or a Kalyway issue, the system sometimes crash when you connect to SMB network folder via Wireless. Its showing a dark pop-up saying you have to restard bla-bla-bla. But its occasionally, besides, am not all the time needed the SMB network share anyway.

Above all of those minor issues, I am very happy with my wind, IT IS VERY USABLE like a real mac, and am typing this from it using Huawei e220 HDSPA modem connected :-) Again, thanks Paul.

cheers,

Edited by asae

Guest WearTheFoxHat
I've been messing things up all by myself for years!

I have however just spat coffee all over my keyboard and monitor!

Guest Tulisan
Hi Paul,

just wanna to thank you for the guide, got my Wind U100 on Sunday, and now is running 10.5.4 like a wind.

Am using dual boot with XP, and Kaliway took over the arrangement of dual booting using Darwin's Loader automatically. I still keep the XP one as maybe there are firmware updates from MSI which you can only do via Windows (so far). My wind was upgraded to 2GB ram and 320GB hdd :-)

As you mentioned, Wireless is not working, tried to fit in an airport card from my mac mini c2d (bye bye warranty on Mac Mini and on Wind), unfortunately I can't find any driver for it to be used in XP as well, so i replaced it back with the Realtek original one and just use a prolink USB wireless while in Mac mode.

Line out and mic in also not working as you notified, i tried to install SkyppyRetard ALC888 driver that somepeople says it works in 10.4 but alas! no luck - Speaker not even working in 10.5 ALTHOUGH the Built-in audio is actually detected (if i checked thru SysProfiler). In Azalia, it doesn't. So i got back to Azalia again and will get an el-cheap'o usb audio interface later over the weekend.

One weird observation is sometimes the battery icon in status bar just showing battery with X in it, and it says no battery. To fix this, i re-apply the kext from you on ACPI and SMBIOS everytime. Any idea why?

The other thing is, although am not so sure whether this is a Wind's issue or a Kalyway issue, the system sometimes crash when you connect to SMB network folder via Wireless. Its showing a dark pop-up saying you have to restard bla-bla-bla. But its occasionally, besides, am not all the time needed the SMB network share anyway.

Above all of those minor issues, I am very happy with my wind, IT IS VERY USABLE like a real mac, and am typing this from it using Huawei e220 HDSPA modem connected :-) Again, thanks Paul.

cheers,

Wow, we have the exact same setup, down to the Huawei 220 USB modem :D Though I had mine unlocked so I could use multiple SIMs.

Wow, we have the exact same setup, down to the Huawei 220 USB modem :D Though I had mine unlocked so I could use multiple SIMs.

whatta coincidence biggrin.gif you wouldn't happen to live in Indonesia as well aren't you ? biggrin.gif

anyway. am still struggling with my battery status, sometimes ok, sometimes no battery (battery with x sign).. everytime it happens I hav to apply ACPIbattery.ext and restart to get the status back, ....maybe i better looking for someway to automate it...

Guest Dogcow
whatta coincidence biggrin.gif you wouldn't happen to live in Indonesia as well aren't you ? biggrin.gif

anyway. am still struggling with my battery status, sometimes ok, sometimes no battery (battery with x sign).. everytime it happens I hav to apply ACPIbattery.ext and restart to get the status back, ....maybe i better looking for someway to automate it...

Reading up a bit these issues might be due to the kextcache. Try installing the kext, then repair permissions, reboot into single user mode and run:

rm Extension.kextcache from /System/Library

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/

reboot

Might help?

Ive just tried instaling the MSIWIND0S86 dvd

The install goes fine but when i reboot the machine it pops up with 'error loading operating system'

Ive gone into the bios and checked im booting from the correct drive which i am.

As anyone any ideas as to what im doing wrong?

Thanks

Guest Tulisan
whatta coincidence :D you wouldn't happen to live in Indonesia as well aren't you ? :D

Not quite but near in the upper part of your location. I'm from The Philippines :angry:

My battery status is running ok. I even changed it to show percentage as well.

Reading up a bit these issues might be due to the kextcache. Try installing the kext, then repair permissions, reboot into single user mode and run:

rm Extension.kextcache from /System/Library

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/

reboot

Might help?

Thanks DogCow! seems that reinstalling the kext, repairing the permission and rebuilding the extension cache fixed it!! The battery status survives my couple of times reboot test. Hopefully it will stay on.

By the way, just to share, to have the display color of your osx wind to be more like macbook, try using the attached color profile for your display. Unzip and put it in /Library/ColorSync/Profiles. Use the colorsync app from Applications/Utilities to point to this profile. Now i just can't believe myself that am actually looking at a Wind monitor, not a real macbook. Credits goes to osxwind.wikispaces where i downloaded the profile from wink.gif

cheers,

MSI_Wind.icc.zip

Edited by asae

Guest Dogcow
Thanks DogCow! seems that reinstalling the kext, repairing the permission and rebuilding the extension cache fixed it!! The battery status survives my couple of times reboot test. Hopefully it will stay on.

cheers,

Cool :D

I never forced mine to rebuild the kextcache but my battery status has not disappeared in several days now. My only slight annoyance is the trackpad freezes for a few seconds after waking from sleep.

Guest crisb

Just to say a quick thanks to DogCow .. I had exactly the same problem with the extra holder on the motherboard causing a short and after fitting the 1409 it didn't boot (minor heart-stopping moment).

I tried again and this time stuck a thick sticker on the card and only loosely tightened the wifi fixing screw and now it's magic :-)))

Edited by crisb

Guest jix69

Hi,

Thx for this excellent topic !

I will receive my Wind tomorrow, so I want to prepare everything possible to make it work.

I could not find on torrents Kalyway 10.5.3 upgrader, on which search engine could I find it ?

Thx :D

ps : It will be my first one on OS X ! :D

Guest elalitte
I could not find on torrents Kalyway 10.5.3 upgrader, on which search engine could I find it ?

I found it on the pirate bay.

You can make a google search with kalyway 10.5.3 combo update.

I've just bought a medion. But style have problems with the wifi card. Anyone know what model it is ? and how to make it work ?

All the rest is just working find as long as I've tested it.