The official Samsung i900 Omnia 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Paul, I have an Omnia in the US imported from Singapore and have seen a few others reporting they cant upgrade from G3. Was your seller from Singapore or Europe (AFAIK Italy is the only Euro country where it has been released)?

Hey Paul,

I've got a few questions :D

1. Would you mind testing out the video playback? Not in core player though, core player does'nt support the intel PXA310 hardware acceleration yet, can you please test it in the default player(a VGA@24 fps video) if its not too much trouble.

2. Do the Sensor apps of the Diamond work on the Omnia?

3. How is the build quality an the quality of the screen? Is it as bad as the TyTn II?

4. Does the Omnia have kinetic scrolling in the programs menu like on the TyTn II(touch flo)

5. How well does the programs menu icons render, is there like that tiny bit of lag on the TyTn II?

Thanks,

Akshay

Guest Paul (MVP)

1. Any free files you'd like me to test?

2. I'll test, I REALLY doubt it tho!

3. How do you mean?

4. Sort of, it does in Samsung's own, but not the standard. Firmware updates seem to be adding more finger scrolling.

5. Nice and fast!

P

Guest FragaL

Hi Paul

You have just turnt my world upside down lol

I was all set for getting the Touch Pro and then the i900 came from nowhere! lol

Now i dont know what to buy?? Can you let me know what your thoughts are against the two?

Guest FragaL
Apples and Oranges my friend... if you do a lot of text input get the Touch Pro! If you take a lot of pics get the i900.

Maybe.

:D

P

I see your point :D

What about performance, i see the samsung appears to have a faster CPU?

What im looking for is good video playback (AVI), good net browsing and something i can load apps on to.

The screen that you show on the picture by the box looks like the "tacho" menu (might be spelt wrong) and ive seen on you tube some vids that look like a vista home page with widgets? Can you confirm or show me the screens of what it looks like? Do you get the normal windows shell like on the HTC phones as i like that.

Sorry if thats a pain its just my iphone is up to £400 with 2 days to go on ebay so looks like im getting one Friday and now dont know what to buy arghhh lol

Thanks mate.

Guest Karlimann

Hi Paul,

first of all, thanks for your work so far.

can you post a few screenshots of the ui, that's interesting for me. Especially does the device have the normal WM6 keyboard?

thanks in advance.

Karl

Guest Simon Desser

I've had one for a couple of days and there's lots to get excited about, but as usual, there's some little annoyances :D

Games are virtually impossible to play with the optical joystick :(

A few games I've tried won't run because of the odd screen resolution :(

You HAVE to lock the keypad as the buttons still work even when in standby :P

If you turn off the option to turn on the backlight when a button is pressed you don't need to lock the keypad, but the screen permanently stays on the dimmest setting :P SORRY BITS IN BOLD IS ME BEING THICK!!!!

Signal strength isn't marvelous, and fluctuates a fair bit, often find it showing one or no bars where others show full strength, and even went straight to voicemail last night when showing full wack (I tend to put them to the test!) :D

Volume when listening to music is a fair bit quieter than HTC devices, fine indoors but not sure about in the street or on Manchester trams :(

GPS worked fine at first, but after a hard reset yesterday TomTom can't find a signal at all for some reason :D

The device is pretty finger friendly but once you get down to the usual WM6 stuff you need a stylus, and unfortunately the stylus was obviously an afterthought, and so has no dedicated slot :angry: You need to attach it to the lanyard hole which means it dangles all over the place and is rather annoying !!

Hopefully some of the bad points will get fixed, and in its favour, it's gorgeous, the camera's great, and the flash is very powerful!!

Edited by Simon Desser

Guest Paul (MVP)

Simon, you can set it so the device only turns on with the power button!

Are you using the latest ROM?

Are you using the provided headphones or the adaptor and your own?

P

Guest Simon Desser
Simon, you can set it so the device only turns on with the power button! - I've done this but then the backlight stays at the dimmest (unuseable) setting - original ROM

Are you using the latest ROM? - I too got the error and left my flippin' cable at work :D

Are you using the provided headphones or the adaptor and your own? - Only tried the adapter and my posh BOSE headphones, I'll try the provided headphones. :D

Cheers

Simon

EDIT - Definitely louder with the supplied headphones for some reason?

Edited by Simon Desser

Guest MurphmanL

Wow its been agess since I posted here last !

Im looking foward to jumping back to the WM bandwagon with the I900 tomorrow (provided all goes well with RM !)

Paul, what model do you have there? 8 / 16gb version?

I have bought the 16gb off a UK ebay seller, and am wondering whether it will be safe to apply the singapore rom?

Also, how are you finding battery life, reckon it'd be possible to get 1-2 days with music listening during work? :-P

Guest Simon Desser

Being the sad git that I am, I've done a little comparison of the music volume from the Omnia compared to the Touch Diamond :D

Same song, same volume - the Omnia is WAY quieter than the Diamond :D

post-56-1218577000_thumb.jpg

Guest Paul (MVP)

Simon, indeed!

Apply that update tho and see if it makes a difference. It also includes a Radio ROM, so may improve your signal queries!

P

Guest Simon Desser
Simon, indeed!

Apply that update tho and see if it makes a difference. It also includes a Radio ROM, so may improve your signal queries!

ssed

P

Cheers Paul, I'll do it first thing in the morning. Fingers crossed :D

Guest nickcornaglia

Wow! Beautiful phone and that camera is killer!

You know me....I love side-by-side phone comparison pics (if you get a chance!)

Thanks.

Guest Simon Desser
Wow! Beautiful phone and that camera is killer!

You know me....I love side-by-side phone comparison pics (if you get a chance!)

Thanks.

Here's a quick comparison :D

Apologies for the picture quality - taken with a Touch Dual! :D

post-56-1218581413_thumb.jpg

ok so i see you said it had a flash, is that a real flash like the ones on blackberrys or are we talking some little light that doesn't do diddly like on the 8125 (HTC wizard)?

Woot 200th post :D

But what about my flash question?

Thanks for the answers Paul

Here are two files to try out http://www.glbenchmark.com/videos/glbhd.wmv and http://www.glbenchmark.com/videos/GLBenchmarkPro_High.wmv. But I suppose Divx should play better. If you do have any DVD rips can you try them out as well? Thanks.

I apologise, not the build quality of the screen, how the overall build quality :D, and are the images clearer on the screen when compared to a TYTn II. Also is the screen hard like the DIamond or soft like the TyTn II? :D

Regards,

Akshay

Guest hunyango_uk
Here's 4 random pics I just snapped (default settings).

The camera application is supremely responsive :D

P

post-1-1218556512_thumb.jpg post-1-1218556565_thumb.jpg

post-1-1218556620_thumb.jpg post-1-1218556664_thumb.jpg

cheers mate, the looks of it is very nice. very good quality probably amongst all windows mobile device. :-)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.