The official Samsung i900 Omnia 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest nickcornaglia

Samsung Press Release from June....

SEOUL, KOREA – June 9 2008: Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., a leading mobile phone provider, today announced the launch of Samsung OMNIA (model name: SGH-i900). It brings together high performance business content, top of the range style and a fun, dynamic multi-media experience, to ensure consumers are always connected both at home and at work. OMNIA, meaning ‘everything’ in Latin and ‘wish’ in Arabic, goes beyond the current top-of-the-line features available in today’s mobile phones. The OMNIA will be available to the market from June 2008.

Bringing a PC environment to Mobile

The new Samsung OMNIA allows users to switch seamlessly between Microsoft Outlook email and productivity applications that replicate the look and feel of their PC - with a stroke of their finger.

Based on the most up to date Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional operating system, Samsung OMNIA gives users a mobile extension to their PC experience, with access to MS Office documents such as PowerPoint, Excel and Word. Users can also send and receive email and manage their appointments in Outlook while on the go. The Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional operating system means users can download additional programs as they would on their PC and customize it for their individual needs. For ease of navigation an optical mouse similar to those on laptop computers offers improved usability and one-handed control.

Vivid, lively multimedia experience

Samsung OMNIA delivers the ultimate in digital entertainment thanks to a wide 3.2-inch WQVGA LCD screen for viewing videos and slide shows in high-resolution and advanced audio capabilities. MultiCodec support for DivX, Xvid and other video formats eliminates the hassle of file format conversions. Users also have the assurance of a long-life detachable battery for extended playback.

Samsung OMNIA also comes with a five-megapixel CMOS camera with the latest value-added features, which include auto-focus (AF), face and smile detection and auto-panorama shot.

The handset’s generous internal memory (available in 8GB or 16 GB capacity options and extendable slot for additions) ensures ample storage space for digital assets.

Rounding out the fully comprehensive feature set, Samsung OMNIA also offers GPS, including navigation and geo-tagging capabilities, so users can get their bearings wherever work or life takes them.

The One and Only mobile with everything in touch

Samsung’s patented TouchWiz user interface makes entering data and text simple. With unique widgets, users can customise and personalise the way they use their phone. The Samsung OMNIA's high resolution touch-sensitive screen uses intuitive tap, sweep, drag and drop operations as well as an on-screen qwerty keyboard. It also facilitates easy and convenient calling and texting with a dedicated dome key for controlling communications.

Samsung’s pursuit for design perfection

The Samsung OMNIA presents Samsung’s leadership in design. With maxi-phone capabilities, it boasts a slender, chic form, so users can step out in style. It features an ultra-slim 12.5-mm profile and a platinum-look finish that fits snugly in the palm of the user’s hand. The elegant hairline patterns on the back of the phone bring the perfection in style.

Geesung Choi, President of Samsung Telecommunication Business, said: “I am very excited to introduce Samsung OMNIA, a mobile device that truly delivers the best possible features for today’s busy, connected consumer. Samsung OMNIA demonstrates our vision for the Samsung mobile business, which is to provide premium phones for users who desire functionality, style, usability and entertainment in one innovative device. The OMNIA mobile range will help users to be at the forefront of work and play and at the same time, to stay connected anytime, anywhere.”

The Samsung OMNIA will be unveiled at CommunicAsia, Singapore from June 17 to 20 and commercially launched in the Southeast Asian market starting from the same week. The phone will be available in the European market from July.

Guest broughs

Paul

can you answer a quick question re i900. Having read on numerous sites (GSMArena, coolsmartphone etc ) that the ram / rom was 128 / 256 I can only see 96 /96. Is that what is present or am I missing something?

Just got the Omnia today and it is one amazing piece of kit - liking it a lot so far

Stu

Guest MurphmanL

Lee has his I900 and is in love with it !! :-D

Woww, ive been brought back to windows mobile with quite a thump.

Never before have I found a keypadless phone so easy to use ! and so powerful!

Ive been running it out of the box since 5 ish, playing music and all, constantly fiddling and im struggling to get it to die off so i can charge it fully while i sleep!

very impressed with everything, apart from Sound volume - what on earth is going on? Connected any external headphones to the adaptor and the sound volume is barely audible ! Also, the bundled headphones are 3.5mm too meaning that adaptor has to be used :-/

Guest broughs
Lee has his I900 and is in love with it !! :-D

Woww, ive been brought back to windows mobile with quite a thump.

Never before have I found a keypadless phone so easy to use ! and so powerful!

Ive been running it out of the box since 5 ish, playing music and all, constantly fiddling and im struggling to get it to die off so i can charge it fully while i sleep!

very impressed with everything, apart from Sound volume - what on earth is going on? Connected any external headphones to the adaptor and the sound volume is barely audible ! Also, the bundled headphones are 3.5mm too meaning that adaptor has to be used :-/

I got caught out with this too. The volume button on the adaptor resolves the issue and the performance is great. After a night of playing I am very impressed

Stu

Guest Mark_in_VA

Darn! Bricked it!

Hung on the first file download (and the "Omnia" splash screen). Tried to hard reset (the 'light touch with the fingers' thing) and no luck.

I guess, even though I am in the USA and the Omnia is from Singapore, I need to get in touch with Samsung Korea and arrange to get it reflashed/fixed.

Anybody have any contact information or emails or phone numbers for the right people?

:D :D :angry:

Guest Simon Desser
Darn! Bricked it!

Hung on the first file download (and the "Omnia" splash screen). Tried to hard reset (the 'light touch with the fingers' thing) and no luck.

I managed to get mine stuck on the Omnia Splash screen :D Did a hard reset no problem by holding down the End and Send key at the same time and pressing the reset button with the stylus. Then press Send key to format. Is that what you tried?

Cheers

Simon

Guest Mark_in_VA
Any improvements to your niggles since the update Simon?

P

Nope - still bricked. I've been trying the "press both keys lightly" and then the stylus in the hole, holding all for up to 20 seconds without reaction. I've also tried the power button with both keys - same deal. Took the battery out and put it back. Tried connected to the computer and disconnected. It's hard to tell how hard to hold the keys (call/end) down. One thing I don't have enough fingers to try is the power button AND the stylus in the hole.

I notice that, after disconnecting the Omnia from the computer, when I plug it back in it wants to load drivers for something called "MONAHANS" (all caps), which it doesn't find. Any ideas what this is?

Guest Simon Desser
Any improvements to your niggles since the update Simon?

P

I think reception seems a bit better :angry:

Music is still on the qiuet side but not had a chance to test it properly - after what you said I wonder if I've got a dodgy adapter cos there is no way I could ever describe it as too loud :D (yes I did turn the volume wheel up on the adapter :( )

TomTom worked fine on day one, but since a hard reset and a ROM upgrade it just won't seem to find a signal EVER!!?? Presumeably I've set it up right as it's saying Wating for a valid signal and not No GPS Device?!

D'you have Core Player? I can't get it to run, it instantly says the serial code is wrong without letting you put your code in? :D

Cheers

Simon

Guest Mark_in_VA
Monahans is the codename of the i900s CPU IIRC.

Sounds like it's in bootloader?

P

Any idea where the drivers might be found, in case that will resurrect it?

Guest bashi007

Paul, i have got my omnia, still playing with it and generally quite impressed, just deciding whether i should upgrade from DX3 to DX4! and is there any way to play youtube?

Guest diablo2424

I have had my 16GB Samsung Omnia from Singapore for ~2 weeks now... and I have a lot of input that I can put on here, at the moment though I am at work... when I get home later I'll reply with more...

For more info check out all the numbered threads over at www.ppcsg.com forums... that is where you can learn a LOT about this phone...

BTW I have mine on T-Mobile USA, with the $5.99 TZones plan with Proxy hack and it works AMAZINGLY! I LOVE this phone...

and just as an FYI the 3G will NOT work in the U.S. due to ATT using bands 850/1900 and the phone ONLY support 2100... which is what is used in Europe(I believe) and Asia...

enjoy the phone... any questions ask away, I should be able to help you out...

oh and my phone came on the old Firmware(F8) and I've upgraded it to the newest(G4)... no problems... :D

Guest diablo2424
If i upgrade to DX4 would i loose the haptics while im dialling the numbers on phone call? i have DX3 at the moment

With the new firmware you do still have haptics when dialing numbers in the keypad(just tested it)...

But when texting there are no haptics :-( also, when going into and out of the main menu/shortcuts the haptics are gone :-(... I miss having the haptic feedback all the time, esp since this is my first all touch device...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.