Omnia battery life

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest IZIIZI
I also have a less decent battery life than you describe.

but not that bad :D

about a working day of normal/heavy use.

Took of charge last night at 10pm, over night stand by, an hour of music, 45 mins of calls, 30 mins of text, 15 mins of emailing, 2 hours GPS + installing bits and pieces, battery = 60%.

Guest Fizz_daz

no tasks running at all. I sent some texts (about 8 or 9) and a 7 minute phone call... but nothing out of the ordinary.. also one minute can say 50% then next it's saying 10, on reset back up to 50%.. doing my head in....

I've had it on charge in the car for 3 hours today and it's only got to 50%.. I think it'll be going back tomorrow...

how do I know if i'm using GPS constantly when I have nothing that uses GPS???

I'm also getting hangs when locked and I get a notification a lot of the time which only a reset sorts out.. I also get errors in soemthing like GPSW.exe??? and also it drops activesync connections..

I've done 2 hard reset's because I thought I may have messed something up... something is eating battery life but I be blown if I know what it is..

Edited by Fizz_daz

Guest lastnikita
no tasks running at all. I sent some texts (about 8 or 9) and a 7 minute phone call... but nothing out of the ordinary.. also one minute can say 50% then next it's saying 10, on reset back up to 50%..

I guess you have the DXHG2 rom version ? :D

I had similar troubles, fixed with the upgrade to G4.

Guest IZIIZI
no tasks running at all. I sent some texts (about 8 or 9) and a 7 minute phone call... but nothing out of the ordinary.. also one minute can say 50% then next it's saying 10, on reset back up to 50%.. doing my head in....

I've had it on charge in the car for 3 hours today and it's only got to 50%.. I think it'll be going back tomorrow...

how do I know if i'm using GPS constantly when I have nothing that uses GPS???

I'm also getting hangs when locked and I get a notification a lot of the time which only a reset sorts out.. I also get errors in soemthing like GPSW.exe??? and also it drops activesync connections..

I've done 2 hard reset's because I thought I may have messed something up... something is eating battery life but I be blown if I know what it is..

something isnt right. GPSW.exe sounds like GPS prog! If thats running it will eat battery.

Also do you turn of wifi and bluetooth when not using?

Guest Fizz_daz

blue tooth and Wifi not on.. actually it's a pain to have to keep checking!!!!

I have the G5 rom actually

actually tell a lie.. it's GWES.exe

Edited by Fizz_daz

Guest Fizz_daz

Right,

orange are sending out a new one today.. I hope this one is ok... the list of issues was growing -

Battery charge levels inconsistent, 100% then switch off and on 70% and various things in between

Short battery life with little or no usage (about 4- 5 hours)

When locked and notifications come through a majority of the time ok but others would freeze the phone

Sometimes refuses to unlock

When in powersaving mode the phone sometimes refuses to come back to life

erroneous errors in services.exe and gsew.exe

very poor gps reception after testing last night with a viewer (only about a 3rd of the signal strength compared to an external gs reciever and only seeing 2/3 satellites)

overall I'm very disaapointed with this phone.. seems to me it can do PDA or phone well but nothing in between... I gave up trying to customize the today screen as I was getting stupid errors and battery life... 4 hard resets later and just a basic set up it's no better...

Guest blackhorse
Right,

orange are sending out a new one today.. I hope this one is ok... the list of issues was growing -

Battery charge levels inconsistent, 100% then switch off and on 70% and various things in between

When locked and notifications come through a majority of the time ok but others would freeze the phone

very poor gps reception after testing last night with a viewer (only about a 3rd of the signal strength compared to an external gs reciever and only seeing 2/3 satellites)

overall I'm very disaapointed with this phone.. seems to me it can do PDA or phone well but nothing in between... I gave up trying to customize the today screen as I was getting stupid errors and battery life... 4 hard resets later and just a basic set up it's no better...

Sounds like you may of had a dodgy one, overall im very impressed with the phone/pda and battery life is good too

Guest BigDvr6

im also impressed :D between charges i can install games, themes an apps then uninstall the ones that dont work., send txts and make a few phone calls and it would only get to 60% its not gone lower than 40% as i was trying to work out the gps lol.

so far its a great phone

Guest Confucious
Sounds like you may of had a dodgy one, overall im very impressed with the phone/pda and battery life is good too

If they were all like his I think we would have had a lot more complaints here! Hope the replacement is better.

But the Omnia does seem to have a few teething problems with some of them, hopefully they have sorted them out.

Guest IZIIZI
Right,

gps needs some tweaking because its a new phone an no one supports it yet. I have it locking on to 6-8 sats in 5 seconds.

no one can get powersaving mode to work

the other issues look to be mobile specific.

Guest Paul (MVP)

Er what? What doesn't work about powersaving?

My singapore imported 16GB now running HH1 PDA / HG5 radio:

I don't experience this, I did originally experience it with HG3, but not really with HG4 and definitely not with HH1

I get a couple of days of average usage.

I don't 'lock' my phone, I just turn it off.

See above... the times I have occasionally locked it tho, all is fine.

I had this in HG4, never with HH1.

I had this in HG3, ever in HG4 / HH1.

I have excellent GPS reception.

Dodgy software build?

P

Guest Gemmac

I'm really depressed reading this, as I charged mine over night and it's not 2.15pm and I'm down to just 2 bars!

No HSDPA, Bluetooth or wireless running. No music being played, no photos open and I always ensure I end all tasks when I'm not using it.

I'm wondering whether I'm missing something obvious that's sucking all the power.

Brightness is on manual adjustment and is low, should I put on power saving? I'm tempted to just get a new battery

grrrrr

Guest Paul (MVP)

I have it on auto... which ROM gemmac? Something is definitely wrong! Tried a hard reset and not installing ANYTHING, then seeing how it goes?

Push mail? 3G area? What have you installed?

P

Guest Gemmac

Hey Paul,

Will a hard reset lose everything I've done so far? Like remove all my photos, music, caller ids etc?

Sorry I'm a bit clueless with all the windows stuff... by ROM do you mean: i900DXHG3?

As that's the version I have.

I've installed voice command, and missing sync so I can sync to my mac.

I don't know if push mail is enabled? how can I check?

I turned 3G off just now, but not sure if that's a good thing or not? the 3G would go on and off sporadically, I just thought it was always on.

The thing is my flat mate got his the same time as me and his battery is fine with 3G on all the time, and missing sync installed.

Thanks a lot for your help

xGem

I have it on auto... which ROM gemmac? Something is definitely wrong! Tried a hard reset and not installing ANYTHING, then seeing how it goes?

Push mail? 3G area? What have you installed?

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

Yeah, a hard reset is a factory restore.

DXHG3 is indeed the ROM version, this is older than the latest official Samsung ROM. It's what mine shipped with, and doing the DXHG4 update was a bit improvement here! Maybe check what ROM version your flatmate is on?

P

Guest Gemmac

will do Paul, can you give me instructions on how to update to the new ROM in that case? or is it too complicated for a novice?

cheers

xGem

Yeah, a hard reset is a factory restore.

DXHG3 is indeed the ROM version, this is older than the latest official Samsung ROM. It's what mine shipped with, and doing the DXHG4 update was a bit improvement here! Maybe check what ROM version your flatmate is on?

P

Guest Gemmac

hey Paul, yeah I have an XP PC too though.

I'll consider it, but realised I should probably put the phone to sleep when I put it down to save battery shouldn't I? wouldn't that make a big difference?

thanks for the guide I will certainly consider updated, but it's a bit scary!

xGem

You could follow this guide to get radio DXHG5 and main PDA ROM DXHH1, but you'll need an XP machine (sounds like - like me - you're a mac user), and it's not without risk...

P

Guest Fizz_daz
I'm really depressed reading this, as I charged mine over night and it's not 2.15pm and I'm down to just 2 bars!

No HSDPA, Bluetooth or wireless running. No music being played, no photos open and I always ensure I end all tasks when I'm not using it.

I'm wondering whether I'm missing something obvious that's sucking all the power.

Brightness is on manual adjustment and is low, should I put on power saving? I'm tempted to just get a new battery

grrrrr

I know how you feel.... I bet is's the XXHG5 rom too isn't it...

Guest Gemmac

hey Paul, just to let you know my flatmate is on DXHG5! so that explains it.

Yes Fizz it's kinda annoying, guys I'm taking a deep breath and I'm gonna go for it.

Will I lose everything on it so far?

thanks

xGem

You could follow this guide to get radio DXHG5 and main PDA ROM DXHH1, but you'll need an XP machine (sounds like - like me - you're a mac user), and it's not without risk...

P