Acer Aspire One < £190 @ PC World

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
aspireone.png
Although this is technically non WinMo news, regulars will know that I have something of a soft spot for the new generation of 'netbook' mini laptops! Having been through a couple of Eee PCs, an Advent 4211 and now totally loving my MSI Wind, when I spotted this deal on hotukdeals I just had to share!

Basically, you can get the hot new Acer Aspire One in base 8GB SSD / 512MB RAM spec for a paltry £189.05 INC delivery!

To do so, simply visit this page, select home delivery and enter the code 'YAWAUG08' for the 5% discount.

Since I have the Wind i'm REALLY trying to resist one of these (altho it'd be kinda fun loading OSX on this baby?), but I know Mono is after one of these and is probably hovering over the 'checkout' button right now :D

:D

P

AcerAspireOne-20080820-083654.jpg

Guest Bibbleq

Thats a good price! But ...

For those that are considering an MSI Wind (Advent 4211) if you have a pcworld business account you can order in store and they will price match the pcwb website (http://www.pcwb.com/catalogue/item/ADVNB027).

This means you get a wind for £219 (inc vat) you cant complain about that for that for the amount machine your getting :D

I got mine last week and its awesome.

Edited by Bibbleq

Guest Bibbleq
Wow! A Wind for £219 inc is amazing!

What is involved in getting a PCWB account tho? (Edit: Just applied myself!)

:D

P

To set up an account I just went through the questions with a guy in the shop (in the pcwb corner) there's nothing to it really. I'm a registered sole trader but they didn't need anything official to say I was a business, just my say so!

Guest WearTheFoxHat
PCWB account approved already! :D

P

Doesn't that mean that technically you could be a reseller, and pass great bargains on to us! :D

Guest WearTheFoxHat

I've just looked and I could potentially get a business account myself ... so if there's good savings to be had, I could be tempted at some point!

Guest LeiChat

B*ll*x paid £279 for mine a couple of weeks ago.

Having played with the Acer and the Advent (MSI Wind) in store for a couple of hours I preferred the Advent.

Many people have complained about the version of Linux they've stuck on the Acer and the trackpad and keys aren't as nice as the Advents.

I liked the shiny blue case of the Acer in the pics and the fact it's lighter etc but when you see it in the flesh it's not so nice.

Guest LeiChat
How about a comparison of the different machines?
There's quite a few flavours of each.

Linux and XP options, SSD and HD options, etc. etc.

I'd recommend reading the reviews over at pcpro.co.uk as they do provide some comparative info.

Guest porkpie
Thats a good price! But ...

For those that are considering an MSI Wind (Advent 4211) if you have a pcworld business account you can order in store and they will price match the pcwb website (http://www.pcwb.com/catalogue/item/ADVNB027).

This means you get a wind for £219 (inc vat) you cant complain about that for that for the amount machine your getting :D

Shame it's out of stock on the PCWB site. Grrr - usual price-match rules about things having to be in stock!

Edited by porkpie

Guest patnpm
Shame it's out of stock on the PCWB site. Grrr - usual price-match rules about things having to be in stock!

Surely a good idea to wait until the expected bundle of an Aspire One with an Orange broadband contract - those aspires will hopefully have the 3g slot fully functioning.

Mind you I did succumb when I saw one in Curry's last week...

Guest porkpie
Surely a good idea to wait until the expected bundle of an Aspire One with an Orange broadband contract - those aspires will hopefully have the 3g slot fully functioning.

Mind you I did succumb when I saw one in Curry's last week...

I have heard the Aspire isn't great at running OS X. That would be the main reason I would get one of these. I bought the original EEE for this purpose but it never quite worked so I sold it on. Plus I can tether it to my iPhone so no need for data!!

Edited by porkpie

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tsutton
Anyone know whether you can pick up the XP 1Gb 120Gb HD version of this on Tottenham Court Road? I want one, preferably today.

Call them to check the stock availablity.

Call them to check the stock availablity.

Sorry, I should have clarified. PCWorld don't sell the XP model, only the Linux version. I was wondering whether anyone had spotted the XP versions in one of the iffy shops at the bottom of TCR to save me the walk down there in the rain!

• 1 month later...
Guest pd.ryder

Hey guys - I'm looking at buying a netbook in the next few days. The Acer One ticks all the right boxes for me in terms of size etc (I don't really need a full-blown laptop) and I've a few questions about it:-

1. Is the 8GB SSD useable for day to day stuff and is it notably quicker than the HDD model? Once I add a decent sized SDHC card I might as well have spent extra on the 120GB HDD.

2. Does the HDD zap the battery life into oblivion?

3. Does XP run ok or is it so laggy its a PITA? Should I stick to Linux despite it being totally unfamiliar?

4. Does the Linux version's messenger app support video calls and is Firefox upgradable to v3 (v2 supplied with OS)?

5. Will OpenOffice really do what it says on the tin? Is it fully compatible with Office files? Previous versions I've seen were no better with Word files than WordPad.

The sub- £200 base model is tempting but if its next to useless I'd sooner pay a bit extra for more RAM and the HDD.

:lol:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.