What navigation is being used

Guest Fizz_daz

This is what my sys.txt file looks like:

Mine always starts in landscape mode, so the common factor here is the 'resolution_dir' which you need to ensure is either 400_240 if you always want landscape, or 240_400 if you want portrait. You may also want to try changing the values in 'rawdisplay' to 240_400, and change 'class' to portrait. As i've already said, as far as i'm aware, iGO8 does not support follow device rotation, therefore, whichever orientation you start iGO8, it will stay in that orientation.

Are you wanting iGO8 to always be in portrait mode??

Hope this helps, any more pointers let me know.

Laterz

Datafanatic ;)

PS: Sorry took so long to reply, just watched the first episode of the new series from JJ Abrams - Fringe - OMG bloomin' brilliant - highly recommended when it hits Sky1 on Sun 5th Oct :wacko:

Thanks for the reply, I fixed my landscape issue by deleting the system.ini file then OCN started up in portrait mode normally. To answer your question, I was just trying to see how OCN would look in Landscape mode but apparently even though thier site claims it supports 400*240 Landscape and 240*400 portrait it seems the application itself will not switch between the two orientations, rather you have to edit the sys.txt file. Not sure if I will be doing too much of that, are there any recommended entries to made to the sys.txt file? Also do you have any links to sites where I can get new skins? That is something I would like to check out.

Anyway with that now sorted I was able to test OCN this morning briefly using Pedestrian mode. First thing I noticed was the lightning fast GPS acquisition time, within seconds the status indicator was full. I then searched the POI's for the nearest metro station I was walking to and it found it without any problems and showed a suitable route. I was also pleased to see it had the surrounding roads on the map. I hope to do a driving test this weekend but hopefully it will work as well.

Thanks again for your help.

Guest Mark in Holland
L.P

You have a PM.

Laterz

Datafanatic ;)

Datafanatic,

Please could you send me details also of where I can buy iGO ?

I tried installing an old version (4.1) of ViaMichelin, but the installation failed.

Guest datafanatic
Thanks for the reply, I fixed my landscape issue by deleting the system.ini file then OCN started up in portrait mode normally. To answer your question, I was just trying to see how OCN would look in Landscape mode but apparently even though thier site claims it supports 400*240 Landscape and 240*400 portrait it seems the application itself will not switch between the two orientations, rather you have to edit the sys.txt file. Not sure if I will be doing too much of that, are there any recommended entries to made to the sys.txt file? Also do you have any links to sites where I can get new skins? That is something I would like to check out.

Thanks again for your help.

Hi Fella,

The best place i've found for skins is here: http://artwork-igo8.blogspot.com/

Lots of goodies for iGO8 but you must ensure the skins are made for the Omnia's resolution. So far, i think diMka's skins are the only ones that support 400_240. I've looked at Gurjon's skins and he/she has yet to provide Omnia resolution support.

You don't have to edit the sys.txt file each time - as i said before, whatever orientation you want to use iGO8 in, make sure the phone is in that orientation before you start the application (unless your sys.txt file specifically tells iGO8 to start in landscape, such as mine).

Laterz

DF ;)

Guest datafanatic
Datafanatic,

Please could you send me details also of where I can buy iGO ?

I tried installing an old version (4.1) of ViaMichelin, but the installation failed.

You have PM

DF ;)

Been reading this board for ages - thanks for all the help with my Omnia everyone!

Datafanatic, could you let me know where you got your IGO8 from as I'm just about to give upon TomTom.

Thanks,

Keith

Guest datafanatic
Been reading this board for ages - thanks for all the help with my Omnia everyone!

Datafanatic, could you let me know where you got your IGO8 from as I'm just about to give upon TomTom.

Thanks,

Keith

You have PM :wacko:

DF ;)

I've had iGo8 for 2 days on my Omnia but can't get a route. Just says "Waiting for GPS signal" and nothing happens. Maps work fine, but can't get any route when I set a destination.

Any help please?

Guest datafanatic
I've had iGo8 for 2 days on my Omnia but can't get a route. Just says "Waiting for GPS signal" and nothing happens. Maps work fine, but can't get any route when I set a destination.

Any help please?

Have you made sure that enhanced GPS (XTRA) is enabled in settings/system/enhanced GPS?

I had the same issue but it was resolved once i turned it on.

Laterz

DF ;)

Have you made sure that enhanced GPS (XTRA) is enabled in settings/system/enhanced GPS?

I had the same issue but it was resolved once i turned it on.

Laterz

DF ;)

Cheers, trying now... I hope that was that simple! Should I enable auto download and also click on Data download, or is enabling Xtra enough?

Guest datafanatic
Cheers, trying now... I hope that was that simple! Should I enable auto download and also click on Data download, or is enabling Xtra enough?

Ensure XTRA is enabled and Download is automatic, when you next start iGO8 you should see a connection to your provider on the top bar. Don't worry, this is a tiny download and just tells your GPS software (and hardware - not sure), where you are approximately from the info of your nearest transmitter that you are logged onto.

You should find that you will get a signal within 2 mins (go outside for quicker lock).

Laterz

DF ;)

Ensure XTRA is enabled and Download is automatic, when you next start iGO8 you should see a connection to your provider on the top bar. Don't worry, this is a tiny download and just tells your GPS software (and hardware - not sure), where you are approximately from the info of your nearest transmitter that you are logged onto.

You should find that you will get a signal within 2 mins (go outside for quicker lock).

Laterz

DF ;)

Done that, still no luck :wacko:

I don't get what I'm doing wrong...

Guest datafanatic
Done that, still no luck :wacko:

I don't get what I'm doing wrong...

What rom are you running (not that should make a blind bit of difference!!) - also, stupid question really, but you have made sure that iGO8 has detected your GPS hardware on Com Port 3 with a baud rate of 38400? Don't know if this makes any difference but i've set my baud rate within the Windows settings to 38400 as well (settings/system/External GPS) to match iGO's.

It also wouldn't hurt to press the data download button within the XTRA settings (just incase iGO didn't initiate one the last time it started).

Let me know how you go

Laterz

DF ;)

What rom are you running (not that should make a blind bit of difference!!) - also, stupid question really, but you have made sure that iGO8 has detected your GPS hardware on Com Port 3 with a baud rate of 38400? Don't know if this makes any difference but i've set my baud rate within the Windows settings to 38400 as well (settings/system/External GPS) to match iGO's.

It also wouldn't hurt to press the data download button within the XTRA settings (just incase iGO didn't initiate one the last time it started).

Let me know how you go

Laterz

DF ;)

Ok, so this is what I did:

- On Enhanced GPS, I enabled Xtra and Auto Download, plus I did the Data Download.

- On External GPS Settings, I chose COM3 on Programs, COM9 on Hardware (has to be 9 for 38400 Baud rate), 38400 Baud rate and I checked the box on Access.

- GPS is enabled on iGo8 and I have no problem with the maps, except when I set a destination... Still no route. On the GPS Data circle, I get one or two yellow spots, the others are red.

By the way, I tried Google Maps and got a fix in something like 10 seconds but it connects to the internet so that might be normal.

I'm really desperate now, tempted to try with Gpsgate if I can find it. :wacko:

Thanks for the help, hopefully that can be sorted out. Going to try a soft reset just in case.

- On Enhanced GPS, I enabled Xtra and Auto Download, plus I did the Data Download.

- On External GPS Settings, I chose COM3 on Programs, COM9 on Hardware (has to be 9 for 38400 Baud rate), 38400 Baud rate and I checked the box on Access.

- GPS is enabled on iGo8 and I have no problem with the maps, except when I set a destination... Still no route. On the GPS Data circle, I get one or two yellow spots, the others are red.

By the way, I tried Google Maps and got a fix in something like 10 seconds but it connects to the internet so that might be normal.

I'm really desperate now, tempted to try with Gpsgate if I can find it. ;)

Thanks for the help, hopefully that can be sorted out. Going to try a soft reset just in case.

Hi, Try com2 on your External GPS because com3 is alocated to a IR com port. If you use a soft like GPSGate you could choose com3.

Run again you GPS search in IGO in order to get com2.

Guest nickmoutia

Hi newbie here,

I'd thought that I'd share my experience.

I tried TT and found it hard to install, I have a copy of PC Navigator 6 which should also work with PPC but wouldn't have it.

I now have Destinator 6 with full European maps, very easy to install and finds GPS in 30s to 1min. It has some good options like sms and pedestrian mode, it also has TMC, but not sure how that would work.

nick

Guest datafanatic

I'm really desperate now, tempted to try with Gpsgate if I can find it. :wacko:

Soft Reset is always good after installing/changing stuff on your phone. I get the same red and a few yellow spots, but then within 2-5 mins the yellows change to green and we are good to go.

I know this is again daft, but have you left it long enough once the yellow spots appear to get a lock - also, do you get bar movement on the right hand side, along with the satellite numbers changing?

You shouldn't need GPSGate to get this working.

Laterz

DF ;)

Hi, Try com2 on your External GPS because com3 is alocated to a IR com port. If you use a soft like GPSGate you could choose com3.

Run again you GPS search in IGO in order to get com2.

Thanks, unfortunately I have the same results... Unless I have a borked program, I don't get it. ;)

Soft Reset is always good after installing/changing stuff on your phone. I get the same red and a few yellow spots, but then within 2-5 mins the yellows change to green and we are good to go.

I know this is again daft, but have you left it long enough once the yellow spots appear to get a lock - also, do you get bar movement on the right hand side, along with the satellite numbers changing?

Laterz

DF ;)

I now have 1 yellow spot. On the right hand side, I have changing numbers, a grey bar then 3 blinking green ones... Today, I've let it running for up to 30-35 mins straight with no lock :s

Laterz

DF ;)

Might be pointless but could I get your link to iGo8 please? All I can think about now is to try to reinstall it altogether...

Going out now anyway, so I'll give it a last nice try in the street although if I couldn't get a lock on my roof...

Edited by Peew971

Guest datafanatic
Might be pointless but could I get your link to iGo8 please? All I can think about now is to try to reinstall it altogether...

Going out now anyway, so I'll give it a last nice try in the street although if I couldn't get a lock on my roof...

You have a PM

Laterz

DF ;)

I'm using Garmin Mobile XT, working great and straight out of the box ;)

Didn't need to tweak or change any settings, and it gives me my exact position without any delay.

i use Sygic McGuider , ( tomtom clone )

works straight off ,

no GPSgate

no data connection needed

gets a fix really quickly where tomtom stalled on the "poor gps signal screen " most of the time .

its flawless

cheers