Have you tried to flash a branded Samsung Omnia I900 *, what happened?

Guest Ice Man

You can not update HH3 from Vista, its for XP.

I have Vista myself, so I've upgraded mine via VMWare XP guest

Got vmware, with xp sp3 wont recongnise my phone is connected?????

Job done!!!

Got a bit scary when it wouldn't switch to com port half way through, and i had to manually install the drivers cos windows wouldn't find them. But all is good now.......... And no Vodafone yippee

Guest Arramond
Hi there

trying to reflash a vodafone UK omnia using the method outlined above, but when the phone is picked up by the updater after it is switched on, and the updater started, I immediately get

cFile.Open Failed in the updater

Here is the output of text from the updater

PDA Device Found!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PDA Device ready to download!

Please Press Start Button if You want to download image now...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PDA 1 starts downloading...

Don't plug it out until the label becomes blue!!!

cFile.Open Failed

I am following the method here to the letter, with the software linked to here , but repeatedly get this error..

Phone still boots after it is reset , so at least its not bricked!

any ideas? or am I to be cursed with Vodafone for ever :-)

many thanks

Bill p

I had this when i was doing one of my firmware flashes. When you run the update software it unpacks the files into you temporary folder in windows. When i got this problem i cleared out my temporary folders and then ran the update again and this fixed the problem.

Seems like my battery life has decreased a lot with HH3 firmware, charged overnight and 5 hours later already @ 10%?

Are there known settings to check for increasing battery life? (Also installed SPB Shell)

After a full discharge I recharged the battery with phone turned off overnight, now battery seems to be working properly again ;)

Edited by c0n3

Guest SozzaSinnian

Just upgraded my I900V from:

PDA : i900XXHH1/ACHH1

Phone : i900BUHG5

To:

PDA : i900DXHH3/DXHH3

Phone : i900DXHH3

First impressions are very good. Device boots and responds a lot quicker. All the applications are there that Voda decided to remove and/or hide. And there is more free memory all round!

The device did get stuck in some kind of loop and kept rebooting at first. Removing the battery and rebooting fixed this issue.

I'll update this post once I have had time to test the battery, which was VERY poor with the Voda ROM.....

EDIT: USB Charging now works without the need to have USB turned on.

EDIT2: Battery life is still VERY poor, going to upgrade to DXHI1 as it's been reported to be much better.

Edited by SozzaSinnian

Good old boys, I think we now have a working process for Voda handsets!

;)

New Firmware

PDA: I900DXHH3/DXHH3

Phone: I900DXHH3

Original Firmware

PDA: I900XXHH1\ACHH1

Phone: I900BUHG5

Steps taken to install DXHH3 ROM to my Samsung Omnia (i900V):

1. Installed Active Sync 4.5 (restart XP).

2. Installed XP Samsung Modem Driver (restart XP).

3. Connect phone with USB Cable & switch phone on.

4. Wait for Active Sync to say Connected.

5. Run [i900DXHH3.exe] Updater.

6. Switch off phone & wait for the screen to turn off completely (note pressing the reset button is no good).

7. Switch on phone.

8. Update software should then detect phone.

9. Click the start button on the update software.

10. EBOOT, PDA, CSC, updates will process each in turn, then the USB port will disconect.

11. Com port will be found (if not refer to below note).

12. Phone, plus a few other updates will then be installed, updater will say 'Job Done' and the phone will reset.

13. Phone will take a few minutes to boot, then will auto reset for preconfig settings.

14. You are now a proud owner of a i900V turned i900 (i.e Vodafone free)

If Com port fails at step (11) then do:

At this point the updater will have failed to find a com port and the update now says failed, your Omnia will have hung on the boot screen with a full green bar at the bottom, but dont panic!

This is because a new driver being installed to XP during this process dident install in time during the com port search, so just wait for the driver message to pop up in XP saying something like 'Hardware is now ready to use' give it a 10 second wait, then close the failed updater application.

Now re-run the updater application, and then press reset on your Omnia, the updater should again find your device, and you should now repeat from step (9), this time it should install all the way!

However if this dosent work don't blaim me i'm just detailing my experience.

Hope this helps, and many thanks to Paul (MVP), Arramond, inst4nce, and secany for their efforts.

Used the same again to upgrade from HH3 to HI1 posted by secandy. Originally I900V

Used the same again to upgrade from HH3 to HI1 posted by secandy. Originally I900V

Good Work L.P, thanks for confirming, am downloading the rom myself now, you notice any worthwile differences from HH3 as i think HH3 is quite a stable Rom, well compared to the Voda HH1 anyway!! ;)

Guest forme1981

in august, i purchased a i900 16gb from a local internet store in vancouver, canada.

on september 17, i try to upgrade it to get better performance.

original firmware is hg3.

upgraded to hg4 is ok.

then monahans shows up during upgrading to hh1.

dam you 1800-samsung can't help!

no samsung service centre in canada.

went to the local cellphone repairer. they only offer to switch a 8gb board for cdn$250. god, i already spend cdn$900 on it. and i don't want to exchange the board because the internal storage has some pics i want to keep forever.

i hope monahans just meaning my phone's dirve back to stone age. and some how, some guy come up with an idea to fix it, and upload it to the internet.

Guest SozzaSinnian
Just upgraded my I900V from:

PDA : i900XXHH1/ACHH1

Phone : i900BUHG5

To:

PDA : i900DXHH3/DXHH3

Phone : i900DXHH3

First impressions are very good. Device boots and responds a lot quicker. All the applications are there that Voda decided to remove and/or hide. And there is more free memory all round!

The device did get stuck in some kind of loop and kept rebooting at first. Removing the battery and rebooting fixed this issue.

I'll update this post once I have had time to test the battery, which was VERY poor with the Voda ROM.....

EDIT: USB Charging now works without the need to have USB turned on.

EDIT2: Battery life is still VERY poor, going to upgrade to DXHI1 as it's been reported to be much better.

Just thought I would update as I upgraded to DXHI1 and the device is even faster and more responsive than DXHH3 surprisingly! Not as much gain as there was going from the Voda FW to DXHH3 but still a noticable gain.

And the battery life is MUCH better! Used bluetooth, WiFi ftp transfer for around 30 mins (WiFi transfer still slow - 350k max ;)), SatNav for around 1hr 30 mins, Taken about 30 pictures and made around 1hr of calls as well as sent numerous SMS and the battery has only lost about 20-25%!!!! Very impressive compared to DXHH3 which almost used 50% of the charge with 1hr of SatNav alone!

EDIT: Just noticed I have also had USB switched on all day too, not sure if that drains anything though if not used?

Edited by SozzaSinnian

Guest martin1234

hi guys, i have bought a new omnia from some one, i think it was a free upgarde, but i am going to have to unlock it netwok lock etc,he has said it is fully working at the moment ?, it is from orange, but iam a O2 payg punter, i realy dont want to brick it, is there a video or a full guide to do this, and how do i do this, is there anything to watch out for , i have read a few posts on here, seems very advanced site for this stuff, thanks, chaps

Guest SozzaSinnian

You should be fine Martin if you follow Ice Man's guide on page 2 of this thread.

Also if you open your phone and input *#7465625# it ill tell you if the phone is locked in anyway.

Edited by SozzaSinnian

Good Work L.P, thanks for confirming, am downloading the rom myself now, you notice any worthwile differences from HH3 as i think HH3 is quite a stable Rom, well compared to the Voda HH1 anyway!! ;)

Seems alot more responsive, Appears the radio update has done my handset a world of good, Alot more 3G reception

hi sorry for bein such a noob but just to clarify, I would like to ask a few questions as i have never done this type of stuff before.

1 - Can this process be done on a windows vista machine?

2 - Does this process unlock a vodafone locked handset to be used on o2 sim card?

3 - To upgrade to the DXHI1, do u have to have the HH3 first?

thanks and sorry if i am asking stupid questions

Guest SozzaSinnian

I would recommend a full charge and don't have any apllications running in the background whilst you do it. Also make sure you do it on an XP machine as I get the impression most of the flashes that went wrong was done on Vista systems.

Other than that, Good luck Martin ;)

Guest browne51

Hi Guys,

i have the following on my voda branded omnia:i900xxhh1/achh1

i900BUHG5

Would you advise doing a rom upgrade on this phone,Vodafone s**t is annoying.

Thanks in advance.

Guest Markieman234

Hi guys,

Got my new Vodafone Omnia on Friday and flashed it with DXHI1 on Sunday morning.. followed Iceman's guide, updated smoothly and now works like a dream! :wacko:

No difficulties with flashing, had to turn the phone off and on a couple of times to get the firmware loader to recognise the device but apart from that no probs at all.

Battery life seems excellent, much better than my old XDA Orbit. Also ran the camera firmware update and all went well.

Thanks very much to Iceman and all others who've flashed their phones for their feedback.. (also to Secany for the ROM itself) without you I'd be stuck with a branded and buggy phone not really worth keeping. ;)

Really glad that I didn't have to risk any of the grandprix gubbins.. sounds like a much higher risk procedure.

Guest SozzaSinnian
Hi Guys,

i900BUHG5

Thanks in advance.

Definately if you don't care about your warranty as it's much faster and you get all the benefits of a generic unbranded phone.

Although with regards to the warranty Voda will be releasing a ROM upgrade at some point so you can flash it back over thus keeping your warranty ;)

2 - Does this process unlock a vodafone locked handset to be used on o2 sim card?

Guest Markieman234

1) From what I've read on this forum, the only way I've seen this done on a Vista machine is by installing XP under VMWare and installing it under a virtual machine.

This is probably because the wrapper that flashes the firmware is only XP compatible (if you check the Samsung site their Vista upgrader is slightly different)

2) The Vodafone handset I got wasn't locked originally.. I'm using my O2 SIM in it at the moment as my number hasn't been ported to Vodafone yet.

According to the VF forums since the beginning of the year they stopped locking their contract handsets to the network, so if yours is locked give Voda a call and they should give you an unlock code.

3) No, I flashed HI1 straightaway.

Hi Guys,

i900BUHG5

Thanks in advance.

I certainly would and can confirm i have used Ice Mans suggestions multiple times now and mine was a Voda branded handset now on HHI1 find this in secandys research thread. SOOO much better and smoother than the HH1 BUGH5 Voda Rom, And alot more programs

1) From what I've read on this forum, the only way I've seen this done on a Vista machine is by installing XP under VMWare and installing it under a virtual machine.

This is probably because the wrapper that flashes the firmware is only XP compatible (if you check the Samsung site their Vista upgrader is slightly different)

2) The Vodafone handset I got wasn't locked originally.. I'm using my O2 SIM in it at the moment as my number hasn't been ported to Vodafone yet.

According to the VF forums since the beginning of the year they stopped locking their contract handsets to the network, so if yours is locked give Voda a call and they should give you an unlock code.

3) No, I flashed HI1 straightaway.

ok man thanks very much for the info