Have you tried to flash a branded Samsung Omnia I900 *, what happened?

Guest Ice Man

Guest DEMONKNIGHT

Thanks Iceman, flashed from Voda to HH3, no problems apart from no Wi-Fi for internet connection

I wonder if I now should upgrade agin to a latter version.

Edited by DEMONKNIGHT

Iceman

Thanks for all your work and info in this thread. Am looking to reflash my own Vodafone Omnia. Also on same firmware as you started with I think:

Firmware

PDA: I900XXHH1\ACHH1

Phone: I900BUHG5

Just a final check before I give it a go - can you let me know please if yours is a UK vodaphone handset? Thanks :lol:

Iceman

Thanks for all your work and info in this thread. Am looking to reflash my own Vodafone Omnia. Also on same firmware as you started with I think:

Firmware

Just a final check before I give it a go - can you let me know please if yours is a UK vodaphone handset? Thanks :lol:

Mine was and have flashed around 4-5 times

Guest Kurvenal
I had this when i was doing one of my firmware flashes. When you run the update software it unpacks the files into you temporary folder in windows. When i got this problem i cleared out my temporary folders and then ran the update again and this fixed the problem.

I am getting this same "cFile.Open Failed" error message when I try to flash a new ROM, and nothing I seem to do is able to fix it. I have read the posts on here: I am not running it from a network drive and I have cleaned out my temporary files. I have turned off my network firewall. I have reinstalled the Samsung Modem and rebooted. Any other suggestions? I got my Omnia from Orange in the UK and am having numerous problems because of the restrictions Orange seem to have built into this ROM preventing programs from accessing the registry so I would like to switch to a Samsung ROM.

Guest cookie74

Can i just say thanks to this forum and this thread as i have now got rid of the vodafone rubbish that was on my phone and now it is running hh3,got to say i was nervous as the last time i did anything like this it was with a motorola e398 :lol: and that was a while ago.

so now i have done that anyone want to let me know which rom to put on there next :D

Guest cookie74

ok it was working but now i switched it of to change the sim card and now it wont turn on.

when i plug in usb cable to computer all i get is monahans anyone know whats gone wrong.

have i now got a dead omnia

Edited by cookie74

Iceman

Firmware

Update: now flashed directly to DXHJ1 with WinXP. No problems other than Com port failure but followed Iceman's Vodafone method ( http://www.modaco.com/content-page/272065/...ed/page/20/#21) and all is sweet. Very happy, many thanks to Iceman :D

Edited by pda512

Guest teleman
ok as my phone is now dead if i return it to a samsung service centre will they know that i flashed it?

Yup! Cuz the old firmware will be erased from the chip!

Whether they care, I don't know! I sent a flashed and debranded N95 back through Vodafone and they repaired it under warranty!

If you're sure you've followed Iceman's guide exactly for when things go wrong then your only option might just be to send it in and hope!

Guest alantaylor

hello freinds this is my first posting i would like to flash and debrand my vodafone omnia to have polish language pack as iam from poland, must i do all steps on page 2 of ice man? IAM CONFUSED about where it says upgrade to portuguese because i not require portuguese i need only polish language

please can you help me

thankyou to everyone

aLAN

• 2 weeks later...

Iceman and the rest of the guys at MoDaCo thank you!!!

I finally grew a pair too and flashed to HH3! Its soo different to the VF stuff....only issue is battery but i followed some advice I found here and discharged then charged with unit off last night so time will tell!!

All in all upgrade was painless (just follow the instructions) and for all the VF users mine is a VF UK Omnia I900v, oops was!!! LOL

Once again thanks Guys!! This place is a a godsend, but now I think a have the flashing bug!!

PDA: i900XXHH1/ACHH1 -> i900DXHH3/DXHH3

Phone: i900BUHG5 --------> i900DXHH3

Edited by Herc73

Guest scoobyimprezza

Just spreading the good word.

I bricked my Omnia a while ago (branded to Orange). It wouldn't power on...only the power LED lit up. Gutted! This was after trying to update it.

Rang Samsung support - told them I tried updating the firmware using their website tools...but for a different country...I actually used the updates found around this site. Anyway - they sent me a pre-paid royal mail next day delivery bag...took it to the Post Office and watched its repair process online.

4 weeks later - phone is back with me, 3 weeks it was just waiting for an engineer to start work on it. They replaced the main board (mother board type thing I guess)...unlocked to all networks...and unbranded!! Didn't cost me anything - except the phone call and the fuel to drive to the post office.

Samsung are great. By the way - the repair centres you can drive to cannot fix the phone - from my experience anyway. But tell Samsung that you've been there already and that they couldn't do anything.

0845 SAMSUNG (7267864)

Guest imacken
Thought i'd let you know i've updated a branded Vodafone to DXHJ1 with no problems. Works great and I've got rid of all that horrible vodafone stuff!

Did you just follow the procedure above? Any problems?

Also, can you tell me if you change the settings in the camera for saturation/sharpness/contrast does the phone retain them if you switch the camera off and back on again? I'm told that this works in HJ1.

Thanks.

Guest shokka9
Did you just follow the procedure above? Any problems?

Also, can you tell me if you change the settings in the camera for saturation/sharpness/contrast does the phone retain them if you switch the camera off and back on again? I'm told that this works in HJ1.

Thanks.

First post, so here goes..

Had my Omnia for over 2 months, bought on Vodafone so it was an i900V. Anyways, i have flashed it now 5 times and do not regret any of them. All you need to do is follow the many guides, but quickly..USE XP, it has been said so many times, why do people not read these forums??

1) Installl Samsung Modem XP Driver, restart PC if you like to, i don't. Then hard reset your phone and wait for it to do it's thing. When it's like it was out of the box...

2) Connect phone to PC, Make sure active sync sees the phone, if not fix this now..when done...

3) Start ROM updater file. It won't see the phone yet...

4) Soft reset phone with stylus...

5) ROM updater should now see your phone, now click start on ROM updater.....

6) The magic begins, and ends after a short while, you can watch it if you want. I prefer not to anymore.

7) ROM updater will say JOB DONE when it's finished. Wait for phone to reboot before disconnecting it

8) Whilst rebooting, disconnect from PC.

9) Let it load up, dependant on ROM, let it do what it has to. When it is again like out of the box, do another HARD RESET.

10) Again, let it re-install itself. When like out of the box, your phone is ready for you to do what you do. Install away.. and enjoy.

Thats that. I am currently running Passoas LTE02 ROM, it's superb. Very light and very stable. Battery life seems same as HI2, HI3 but should be better due to ROM going on crash diet. I use SPBShell, SPBSkins and totally enjoy it. Waiting for Manilla2D to do lanscape before installing the M2D0* ROMs from the legend which is Passoa. I haven't had any errors with any ROM i have used (which are DXHI2, DXHI3, DXHJ9-MCR03 (Pauls ROM, another legend), LTE01 & LT02). I use Coreplayer, HTC camera album, total black bars theme, all the accelorometer apps installed, G-Alarm, Resco Explorer, Windows Live, ClearTemp and a few others. Seriously, to any newcomers, if you follow the steps and hard reset phone before and after ROM insatll, you shouldn't have an issue. I am also using a mobile broadband (crap) modem with unreliable reception. I have downloaded these ROMs with no issues ever.

If you a total noob, i suggest reading virtually all of the i900 forums on this site, make your own notes in word or something. Follow instructions to the letter. You won't have any issues, if you do, you have missed something out or misunderstood something. Or you are totally unlucky and have bad i900 (it happens - rarely). You need to understand what you are doing and why, don't just flash because you want new ROM, research ROM you are going to install, do it beacause you are improving your i900 experience. Battery life is the main reason i initially flashed mine. The Vodafone XXHH1 ROM was crap. One day is all i could get. With all the ROMs after this i have used i have got 1-2 days (3 with really light usage). I usually listen to music for average 1 and half hours a day, make numerous calls, lots of texts, and genrally mess around with the phone, so basically i get my batterys worth. No good having a great phone if battery keeps going or is an issue to you. Now wih new ROMs battery isn't an issue. Just ensure you hard reset your phone before and after flashing it (see a theme here?).

I am so looking forward to the next M2D04 ROM from Passoa. Maybe take me away from SPBShell & Skins?? Obviously it will, becasue Manilla2D is main point of the ROM. But you can't go wrong with any of the ROMs on this site. The support is great, i have been reading this site for 2 months, and this is my first post. If i ever need info, i come here. Or somewhere, there are a few forums worthy of looking at. But this is my fav and of most help.

If you are hesitant, hope this helps you take the plunge. It used to be scared, now its fun and something i look forward to, except having to reinstall all my apps. Don't know how get UC working?

So i am off. More research to do. Might join Paul on his HTC Touch HD impulse. Sell my Omnia though, which i don't really want to do. But now i can see what ROMs are on the Omnia, i can't imagine whats on the HTC or going to be on it. But i am going to stay Omnia for now, in fact for a good while.

Enjoy your phone folks and happy flashing, trust me, it gets addictive..

Oh, forgot all about the Vodafone branding, that was another main reason to initially flash, but you kinda forget about it after flash one, no going back is the saying. But it is a hell of a lot nicer on the eye. All that RED makes me think of Manchester United. Not good! So, that went a long time, now it's just samsung all day with 'CUSTOM VERSION' underneath, very neat Passoa, very trick.

Maximum respect to all Omnia hackers, cookers, programmers, developers, users (on here for feedback), may the good work continue. I hope so anyway.

Guest imacken

Fantastic post!

Just one question, why is it necessary to use XP? I installed the Samsung Vista modem driver OK. Does that not work? All my PCs and laptops are Vista.

Thanks.

Guest shokka9
Fantastic post!

Just one question, why is it necessary to use XP? I installed the Samsung Vista modem driver OK. Does that not work? All my PCs and laptops are Vista.

Thanks.

@ imacken.

If the ROM you wish to flash your phone with, is a ROM from Samsung site and it says Vista on it, then feel free to try it with Vista. However if you are going to use a custom ROM, then please use an XP machine. Go to your mates house or something. It takes 10-15 minutes all in.

I have read so many posts where people cannot flash their phone properly using Vista. The Samsung Modem drivers i use clearly state XP. If yours say Vista, then you need a Vista compatible ROM. Some people have has success using VMware to emulate XP on Vista machine, but again, i wouldn't. If you think you will be flashing often, it might be worth re-installing (formatting) your laptop with XP. Then you can flash in your own time, in your own house with PC still on the net for backup.

I would not try Vista if i were you. The idea is to reduce as many variables that could cause Omnia to brick. Vista is one of these. Don't get me wrong, people have sucessfully used Vista before. But people in the know, use XP.

Nuff said.

Guest Cretster

I upgraded my T-Mobile branded phone from HH7 to HJ1 the other night and it went just fine - no hitches.

No more cacky branding. Thanks very much to all concerned for the help & info provided on here - it's appreciated.