Have you tried to flash a branded Samsung Omnia I900 *, what happened?

Guest Ice Man

Guest shokka9
OK, I tried the update, but just get 'Incorrect Software Version'.

Any ideas?

Read below....this isn't mine and have never tried to use it or had reason to use it.

Please in future, read all forums on this site or search them, as this used to be a common problem. With most ROMs on here, it's simple and no incorrect software version errors.

Hope it helps you..

When Trying to Update if you get 'incorrect software version' try this

* Press the 'dial' key to the left of the optical pad to bring up the dialer

* With the onscreen keypad input *#1546792*#

* Select 'Preconfiguration'

* Enter code *#81230*# and select OK

* Select 'Singapore', with the default Operator

* Accept this, DEVICE WILL HARD RESET

* Run update, and all should be well.

It should work, it has for others.

Good luck.

Guest shokka9
OK, I tried the update, but just get 'Incorrect Software Version'.

Any ideas?

Read below....this isn't mine and have never tried to use it or had reason to use it.

Please in future, read all forums on this site or search them, as this used to be a common problem. With most ROMs on here, it's simple and no incorrect software version errors.

Hope it helps you..

Good luck.

Guest imacken

Hope it helps you..

Good luck.

Sorry, should have said that I had tried that method, and that sequence of key presses doesn't do anything on my handset. This is because as has been documented in other posts it doesn't work on branded handsets.

I have also tried hex editing the updater file, but that doesn't work either.

Contrary to what you might think, I have spent hours searching this and other forums for the answer, but have come up with nothing.

I would appreciate any further help on this. Thanks.

I upgraded my T-Mobile branded phone from HH7 to HJ1 the other night and it went just fine - no hitches.

No more cacky branding. Thanks very much to all concerned for the help & info provided on here - it's appreciated.

I am also on T-Mobile UK - branded. Not anymore, all the branding has gone apart from the bit at the front of the Omnia under the glass (dont think I can do anything about that!). I have upgraded to HJ1, PaSSoa's LTE02 Lite ROM. Must say this is a very stable ROM and I have installed lots of apps into main memory and have tons of space left to add more. B)

Method I used was :

New Laptop with fresh installation of XP Pro (service pack 3).

Installed Activesync 4.5 from microsoft

Installed XP modem driver

Made sure phone was working and synced with active sync

Downloaded PaSSoa's ROM and double clicked to run it.

Waited and hoped for the best B) .....Success!!!!

Make sure your phone is fully charged and also your laptop if you are using one before commencing the upgrade. Wait for the new start up screen before disconnecting the phone from the pc as the phone may reset a number of times whilst upgrading.

Guest shokka9

@ imacken, yeah. Would of been good idea to say you tried that key combo and it didn't work a bit earlier. Apologies if i implied you hadn't read up on your problem or situation. A lot of people who post on here don't seem to have of and ask really annoying questions, that answers have already been given, multiple times on this thread or others.

Firstly i would download a ROM from here (for use with XP) if you want a standard ROM, the HJ6 or HJ9 ROM from Secany is good. If you want custom, take your pick. Then in order to get ROM to work, install XP on your laptop and get it ready to flash your Omnia (active sync, Modem driver etc). You will want to flash it again and again, so good idea to have XP machine ready. You should be able to get Updater ROM to see your phone, thats the plan. Just get everything ready as you would to flash it, when its connected to PC, soft reset it and hope the updater see's it.

** VERY GOOD POINT, ENSURE PHONE IS CHARGED UP AND LAPTOP IF USING ONE **

If it does, it should work. If not, don't know i'm afraid. Try another thread (if not already)?

Let me know if you fix, so i know if i ever come across problem myself.

That's why you should use ROM from here and use it by methods mentioned on here, that way you shouldn't get issues.

Good Luck

You haven't bricked it have you?

Edited by shokka9

Guest imacken
Let me know if you fix, so i know if i ever come across problem myself.

That's why you should use ROM from here and use it by methods mentioned on here, that way you shouldn't get issues.

Good Luck

You haven't bricked it have you?

Thanks again.

The annoying thing is that the official updates from the Samsung site now have Vista/WMDC versions and as I don't really have access to an XP machine I wanted to go down that route. As far as I can see, all the ROMs here are recommended to use XP so could be problematic as said above to use on Vista.

Guest shokka9
Thanks again.

The annoying thing is that the official updates from the Samsung site now have Vista/WMDC versions and as I don't really have access to an XP machine I wanted to go down that route. As far as I can see, all the ROMs here are recommended to use XP so could be problematic as said above to use on Vista.

Install VMware and try that. It could and has worked in past for some and not for others. You will need to install XP etc and XP drivers in that VM too. Basically run XP in Vista.

Good luck. I wouldn't do it, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Let me know.

Guest Kriss H
Did you just follow the procedure above? Any problems?

Also, can you tell me if you change the settings in the camera for saturation/sharpness/contrast does the phone retain them if you switch the camera off and back on again? I'm told that this works in HJ1.

Thanks.

no didn't have any probs except it getting stuck in the boot and reset as described above, i just took battery out, then shoved it back in, boots up fine, as for the camera settings no it doesn't.

And yes I upgraded via Icemans instructions.

ONly prob I've found is the keypad wont let me enter text in certain password fields in opera, which is quite anooying.

Kriss

Guest imacken
as for the camera settings no it doesn't.

Kriss

It doesn't! Well, I'm not going to bother then as that was the only reason I was going to do it. Someone else had posted that the camera settings saved with HJ1.

Oh well.... maybe one day.

Thanks.

I have tried the update on my VF omnia but it has just bricked the thing - its complete dead and XP just asks for the MONAHANS driver.

If I try and send this back to VF (its only a few weeks old) will they know it has a firmware update attempted and so not covered by warranty. Or would it be better to send it straight to Samsung - do they still have to send it to Singapore?

Cheers

H

Guest shokka9
I have tried the update on my VF omnia but it has just bricked the thing - its complete dead and XP just asks for the MONAHANS driver.

If I try and send this back to VF (its only a few weeks old) will they know it has a firmware update attempted and so not covered by warranty. Or would it be better to send it straight to Samsung - do they still have to send it to Singapore?

Cheers

H

Contact Samsung.

SOmebody on this site did that and they sent him new phone. I think you just have to tell them that you have been into a Samsung service centre and they couldn't do anything and advised you to call them.

VOdafone, probably won't know, or more importantly, can't know as the phone is bricked. However, it is fairly obvious to me and Vodafone, that you have tried to do something with it and it has gone wrong. Strange though. I posted a how to in this thread. It works for me, have flashed 5 times now.

Unlucky and good luck with trying to get free replacement. Thats what i was initially scared of.

Guest Thomasba

B) After first pulling on a pair of sturdy brown trousers, I took the plunge and flashed my T-Mobile Omnia. I was running XXHH7 and now I'm running DTHJ5.

I used XP and made sure the Samsung Driver was loaded, I didn't run Grandprix as the firmware update had the updater built in. All in all it took about 5 minutes and after it rebooted itself, all of the crappy T-mobile rubbish had gone and many of the applications that were missing from the original setup were now present (google maps, threaded SMS).

I'm not sure that the new rom is necesarily any faster though, I think the Battery life is better but the touch screen occasionaly seems to be less sensitive. But then I only flashed the Rom on Sunday and so a bit more playing should allow me to give a better judgement.

Guest mattlow93

I think the main reason that updating from Voda firmware goes wrong, is not the wrong software, but HAVING THE SIM CARD INSERTED.

Try updating the firmware without the sim card, let me know how it goes please?...

I tried with the sim card in, phone bricked, rang Samsung straight away (cba with Voda support), and my phone is due to be sent off for repair soon.

Guest mattlow93

I think the main reason that updating from Voda firmware goes wrong, is not the wrong software, but HAVING THE SIM CARD INSERTED.

Try updating the firmware without the sim card, let me know how it goes please?...

I tried with the sim card in, phone bricked, rang Samsung straight away (cba with Voda support), and my phone is due to be sent off for repair soon.

Guest mattlow93

Guest mattlow93

Guest mattlow93

Guest shokka9

To be honest, i think what you are saying is wrong. I have flashed my originally Vodafone phone nearly 10 times with SIM card in, first time i flashed i took SIM out. Since then, i just leave it in and my 8GB memory card.

To explain (quickly), the phone/pda does not read or write to the SIM or memory card at any point during the flash process. The SIM card is only read when the phone has powered up (after flash) and started the process of looking for networks etc.

If i am wrong, then somebody tell me, but i haven't heard anyone here or elsewhere telling users to remove the SIM card, not even legitimate updates through Samsung.

So PLEASE DO NOT put panic posts on the thread. If people are scared already then stuff like this will only put them off. But also on a more serious note, if you think that leaving your SIM card in bricked your phone, then you shouldn't really be flashing it should you?

It is a very simple process which if followed correctly, leads to a successful flash. Thats it.

Sorry, i just had to get my point across!

Guest kam1kaza

hi to all, sorry for my english language, i will try to explain my problem, i bought i900 probably V because i got it in the vodafon box its on italian language and i woul like to change it to english here are the spec

PDA: i900XIHG3/XIHG3

TELEF: i900BUHG5

and i always got inccorect software version when i try to update it, does any one have solution for this, i tried hard reset but same thing happens

Edited by kam1kaza

Guest smalley83

I've just flashed my Vodafone Omnia with the update(ACHJ2)from the Samsung site. The whole thing took about 15 minutes, which is why they tell you to make sure that your phone is fully charged.

The update loads 5 files onto the Omnia, the 5th one taking a couple of minutes, then the phone processes the updates and reboots, this seems to take a while. My advice is not to touch the phone until you see the Windows Mobile screen.

I used the Vista updater which worked pretty smoothly. I still get the Vodafone splash screen, so I'm not sure, yet, what has changed. Time will tell.

Guest mattlow93
To be honest, i think what you are saying is wrong. I have flashed my originally Vodafone phone nearly 10 times with SIM card in, first time i flashed i took SIM out. Since then, i just leave it in and my 8GB memory card.

To explain (quickly), the phone/pda does not read or write to the SIM or memory card at any point during the flash process. The SIM card is only read when the phone has powered up (after flash) and started the process of looking for networks etc.

If i am wrong, then somebody tell me, but i haven't heard anyone here or elsewhere telling users to remove the SIM card, not even legitimate updates through Samsung.

So PLEASE DO NOT put panic posts on the thread. If people are scared already then stuff like this will only put them off. But also on a more serious note, if you think that leaving your SIM card in bricked your phone, then you shouldn't really be flashing it should you?

It is a very simple process which if followed correctly, leads to a successful flash. Thats it.

Sorry, i just had to get my point across!

Fair enough, is a mystery to me though, I followed all the advice suggested on various forums, and it just hung on 16% when writing to the phone.

As with the sim card issue, I have seen it posted that when the Voda sim card was in the update failed, when removed it worked, but that may just be a one-off.

Thanks for your advice! *fingers crossed that when it comes back from Samsung, it won't have Voda firmware on...*

• 6 months later...
Guest taoufik.om
Good old boys, I think we now have a working process for Voda handsets!

:D

New Firmware

PDA: I900DXHH3/DXHH3

Phone: I900DXHH3

Original Firmware

PDA: I900XXHH1\ACHH1

Phone: I900BUHG5

Steps taken to install DXHH3 ROM to my Samsung Omnia (i900V):

1. Installed Active Sync 4.5 (restart XP).

2. Installed XP Samsung Modem Driver (restart XP).

3. Connect phone with USB Cable & switch phone on.

4. Wait for Active Sync to say Connected.

5. Run [i900DXHH3.exe] Updater.

6. Switch off phone & wait for the screen to turn off completely (note pressing the reset button is no good).

7. Switch on phone.

8. Update software should then detect phone.

9. Click the start button on the update software.

10. EBOOT, PDA, CSC, updates will process each in turn, then the USB port will disconect.

11. Com port will be found (if not refer to below note).

12. Phone, plus a few other updates will then be installed, updater will say 'Job Done' and the phone will reset.

13. Phone will take a few minutes to boot, then will auto reset for preconfig settings.

14. You are now a proud owner of a i900V turned i900 (i.e Vodafone free)

If Com port fails at step (11) then do:

At this point the updater will have failed to find a com port and the update now says failed, your Omnia will have hung on the boot screen with a full green bar at the bottom, but dont panic!

This is because a new driver being installed to XP during this process dident install in time during the com port search, so just wait for the driver message to pop up in XP saying something like 'Hardware is now ready to use' give it a 10 second wait, then close the failed updater application.

Now re-run the updater application, and then press reset on your Omnia, the updater should again find your device, and you should now repeat from step (9), this time it should install all the way!

However if this dosent work don't blaim me i'm just detailing my experience.

Hope this helps, and many thanks to Paul (MVP), Arramond, inst4nce, and secany for their efforts.

I bricked my Omnia a while ago (branded to vodafone). It wouldn't power on;only the power LED lit up. and my pc cant detect driver to reflash it .

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Polemos

I finished the ROM debranding/upgrading operation with success.

I had a Greek Vodafone branded Omnia with a version (if I remember correctly) VXHH2.

I have changed the preconfiguration to UK Prepaid (to avoid Incorrect versions etc.) and then upgraded it to the DXHJ1 English ROM to minimize the leap to any more advanced ROM.

Afterwards I have upgraded to the QBus (Cooked) ROM.

I followed the Iceman method combined with Sector's pinned ROM install guide ( http://www.modaco.com/content/i900-general...00-omnia-phone/ ).

Note that before I proceeded with the second ROM flashing I rebooted the PC. I did this because when I tried to delete the updater file windows denied access. When windows denies access means that the file is locked and when a file is locked by the system means that it still uses resources, and we don't want to take risks, right?

The whole process (preconfigure, flash and flash again, reboots, etc.) took around 40'. I estimate a needed time of around 10' for a usual flasher. The process rolled perfectly like there was nothing to worry about. The only problem (not really) was when it was searching for the ports but it eventually found it.

My word of advice, go for it.