Introducing... the HTC Touch HD

Guest mobiman2008

Guest Kelly_Hamilton
i also think it will beat the iphone in many ways. great phone. and there are allready some reviews on youtube. they all sound very good.

and state that its better than the iphone. can't wait for it to come out in one month

A friend of mine showed his HTC TyTN II to me. I was very impressed with what

windows mobile can do on this TyTN II. It works just like a computer! Amazing! You can make phone calls as well as

use it to remote desktop connect to a computer, VPN, browsing thru folders, copy and paste and so on.

With a bigger screen size (3.8"), the new HTC Touch HD will be definitely an ideal mobile device that will be

most liked by many of us for fast internet browsing, email on the go, GPS, maps... Can't ask for more.

Can anyone tell me when the HTC Touch HD will be sold in Sydney? In November or just before Christmas?

Thanks.

Kelly

Visit the SmartShopperSpace online: http://ibestpublisher.com

Guest robertc17
http://www.theunwired.net/?item=videoview-...bile-smartphone

The above link is an excellent video review of the new HTC Touch HD 25minutes long and in english, great new opera update with built in flash support and new features over the existing opera browser.

I really want this phone but my touch diamond is only 4 months old

Surely some mistake the voiceover in the video says the phone won't work in the USA. Surely he means that some of the high rate data rates won't?

Guest Magganpice

I bought a HTC Touch HD yesterday and am very pleased with the speed of TouchFLO 3D (compared to my wife's Touch Diamond before she upgraded her firmware). Touch HD scrolls very very fluently, a really nice user experience. Still have to get it to sync with my PC...

Guest saintalan

Hi

I see that this is now available from O2 so not sure how Orange say it is exclusive.

Would a SIM free/ network unlocked work on the 3 network?

Many thanks

Alan

Guest Mamadou

Anyone knows if TomTom Navigator 6 would work with this puppy?

I've had only a bad experiences with my Samsung Omnia (if anyone has a good tip on that, I'd take it, thanks).

Cheers,

Guest Quist09

I'm interested in seeing some of the camera pics too and, more importantly, peoples' opinion of the camera. Several reviews have ranked it below "other devices available" with the same resolution (5 mpx), whatever that means.

I've had an Omnia since this past summer and am quite pleased with the camera, but am dying to get my hands on the screen of the Touch HD (and get back to HTC for modifiability).

When the Omnia came out, there was so much hullabaloo about the first 5mpix camera in a WinMo phone that there were plenty ample reviews for input. Now it seems like the market is jaded with a plethora of 5mpix camera phones and several 8mpix camera phones that they act like it's a no brainer.

So what's it like?

Guest p3ngwin
I'm interested in seeing some of the camera pics too and, more importantly, peoples' opinion of the camera. Several reviews have ranked it below "other devices available" with the same resolution (5 mpx), whatever that means.

I've had an Omnia since this past summer and am quite pleased with the camera, but am dying to get my hands on the screen of the Touch HD (and get back to HTC for modifiability).

When the Omnia came out, there was so much hullabaloo about the first 5mpix camera in a WinMo phone that there were plenty ample reviews for input. Now it seems like the market is jaded with a plethora of 5mpix camera phones and several 8mpix camera phones that they act like it's a no brainer.

So what's it like?

EDIT:

********* disregard about what i say about the cameras i was mistaken B) ***********

the Diamond and TOUCH PRO have the same camera NOT the HOUCH HD which as corrected by PAUL (MVP) below me states has a 5mp camera.

the info about thew CPU's and video recording is correct still B)

for those interested in the TOUCH HD's camera, it has the exact same hardware as the HTC DIAMOND and TOUCH PRO, so that's CPU & camera included.

look for reviews of either of those devices to get an idea of the camera for pic taking and video recording. unfortunately the camcorder ability is only 320*240@30fps, due to it having the "crippled" Qualcomm MSM72001A chip made for America.

the MSM7200A (found in the sony Xperia X1i) can record 640*480@30fps this is due to a legal dispute with Broadcomm where Qualcomm infringed on I.P. for video codecs and had the offending chips banned from selling inside USA. Qualcomm made another chip (MSM7201a) WITHOUT the infringing part, it is the same in all other aspects so Qualcomm can sell something in USA.

the Sony Xperia X1i (international) has the MSM7200A chip and can record VGA video @30fps, the Xperia X1a (America) has the same CPU as the HTC devices (MSM72001a) and hence crippled to QVGA video recording.

what i don't understand is that HTC had no plans to sell the TOUCH HD in USA , yet used the USA centric MSM7201a chip. they could have used the X!i's MSM7200a and given the TOUCH HD the full-blown media experience and given it VGA video recording @30fps ! imagine that with the HD's screen to play it back on!

strange that the DIAMOND, TOUCH PRO, TOUCH HD all use the same CPU (crippled) for all territories. the TOUCH HD wasn't even designed for USA yet gets crippled.......but Sony must have wanted 2 versions by HTC. HTC doesn't seem to want 2 versions of their phones, pity.

the Xperia IS being released in USA so has TWO versions made with 2 CPU's........so if the TOUCH HD isn't being released in USA why not give it the better CPU?

Edited by p3ngwin

Guest markdotpeters5

Was going to say exactly the same. Interesting about the chips, and would certainly explain why manufactureres STILL put crap video recording in their handsets.

How did Nokia manage it with theirs then? Interesting also to see the new 8mp Sony Ericsson handsets still only record in QVGA too.

Guest p3ngwin

it infuriates me about the video recording of devices of the last 5years.

the processors have been able to do QVGA@30fps for years and in recent years VGA@30fps .

my conspiring mind thinks this has to do with Hollywood (MPAA) forcing USA handsets to be crippled to staunch video piracy (people taking them into cinemas,etc)...but there is little evidence i admit.

the Qualcomm & Broadcomm issue was a simple one of Intellectual Property. Broadcomm had tech in their codec to make possible VGA recording @30fps, and it seems Qualcomm used some of that in their MSM7XXX series. hence the ban on the Qualcomm chips to the USA.

so Qualcomm made another variant REMOVING the infringing tech so they could still sell something in USA.

Nokia, and LG with their "viewty" (Divx recording of amazing quality!) have some decent handsets that use the multimedia processors to the fullest.....yet HTC buggered customers for years with no video drivers in devices like Kaiser.

Sony's Xperia X1 seems to have proper drivers to use the graphics acceleration properly, hence the good video recording and 2D performance. again, the USA version of this device can't legally use the MSM7200a chip so USA gets the X1a with the crippled version of the chip, the MSM7201a and gets to enjoy QVGA@30fps at best.

it's a amazing that a device with a decent processor capable of VGA@30fps is crippled in many handsets to nothing better than crappy YouTube quality.

it's a waste of potential.

Guest pd.ryder
Hi

I see that this is now available from O2 so not sure how Orange say it is exclusive.

Would a SIM free/ network unlocked work on the 3 network?

Many thanks

Alan

The HD and Pro are available now on Expansys at hugely discounted prices with an "any flavour you like" contract from the major players.

Imagine, an HD on T-Mobile for £99! A Touch Pro on T for £125...

What I don't understand (and nor do T-Mobile because I've asked them...) is how can the likes of Expansys offer these devices with a contract when the operators can't / won't release the device on their network? I mean, doesn't the operator subsidise the cost of the device in these circumstances? So why would the likes of T subsidise a device it hasn't released?

I've had lengthy conversations with various departments at T-Mobile and they're at a loss as to how "they" can subsidise a generic device sold with a T contract, but they do.

B)

The HD and Pro are available now on Expansys at hugely discounted prices with an "any flavour you like" contract from the major players.

Imagine, an HD on T-Mobile for £99! A Touch Pro on T for £125...

What I don't understand (and nor do T-Mobile because I've asked them...) is how can the likes of Expansys offer these devices with a contract when the operators can't / won't release the device on their network? I mean, doesn't the operator subsidise the cost of the device in these circumstances? So why would the likes of T subsidise a device it hasn't released?

I've had lengthy conversations with various departments at T-Mobile and they're at a loss as to how "they" can subsidise a generic device sold with a T contract, but they do.

B)

T-Mobile are not subsidising the device directly. They give the dealer a hefty commission for every punter they lock into a 1 -2 year contract. It's up to the dealer how they pass it on, most do it by knocking money of the handset. Some do it by cashback vouchers which they rely on customers forgetting to redeem.

It's much easier for T-Mobile to let other people sell the hardware. Then they don't have to cop for all the costs, risks, or legal responsiblity, for technical support, repair, staff training, documentation, type testing/approval, firmware, branding, marketing or retailing. And if the phone turns out to be a lemon (as many do) or just doesn't sell, someone else has taken all the risk and losses too.

Edited by Metoo

look for reviews of either of those devices to get an idea of the camera for pic taking and video recording. unfortunately the camcorder ability is only 320*240@30fps, due to it having the "crippled" Qualcomm MSM72001A chip made for America.

the MSM7200A (found in the sony Xperia X1i) can record 640*480@30fps this is due to a legal dispute with Broadcomm where Qualcomm infringed on I.P. for video codecs and had the offending chips banned from selling inside USA. Qualcomm made another chip (MSM7201a) WITHOUT the infringing part, it is the same in all other aspects so Qualcomm can sell something in USA.

the Sony Xperia X1i (international) has the MSM7200A chip and can record VGA video @30fps, the Xperia X1a (America) has the same CPU as the HTC devices (MSM72001a) and hence crippled to QVGA video recording.

what i don't understand is that HTC had no plans to sell the TOUCH HD in USA , yet used the USA centric MSM7201a chip. they could have used the X!i's MSM7200a and given the TOUCH HD the full-blown media experience and given it VGA video recording @30fps ! imagine that with the HD's screen to play it back on!

strange that the DIAMOND, TOUCH PRO, TOUCH HD all use the same CPU (crippled) for all territories. the TOUCH HD wasn't even designed for USA yet gets crippled.......but Sony must have wanted 2 versions by HTC. HTC doesn't seem to want 2 versions of their phones, pity.

the Xperia IS being released in USA so has TWO versions made with 2 CPU's........so if the TOUCH HD isn't being released in USA why not give it the better CPU?

You're bang on with all that. Take a look at this prediction of where phone cameras and video will be in 4 years (and current Korea/Japan products) to see how sick[1] HTC's offerings are.

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/11/07/e...-video-in-4-ye/

HTC (and even Apple) often cite that such stuff is not a customer "priority" which is why they still make new devices with just 2MP cameras. My opinion is that it's more to do with using cheap hardware and keeping the network operators sweet by conserving bandwidth (whilst telling us it's all about price and battery life). Playing HD video off slow flash and with lowly CPUs and GPUs doesn't work very well, and neither does sending 2MB attachments or 20MB videos by GPRS. So they deliberately restrict what we can do by limiting the hardware to meet 80% of users needs. Which in one way is understandable, as we're the first to complain when things don't work or are just plain slow.

[1] in the old sense, not the "sick=wicked" new sense.

Edited by Metoo

Guest Quist09
You're bang on with all that. Take a look at this prediction of where phone cameras and video will be in 4 years (and current Korea/Japan products) to see how sick[1] HTC's offerings are.

HTC (and even Apple) often cite that such stuff is not a customer "priority" which is why they still make new devices with just 2MP cameras. My opinion is that it's more to do with using cheap hardware and keeping the network operators sweet by conserving bandwidth (whilst telling us it's all about price and battery life). Playing HD video off slow flash and with lowly CPUs and GPUs doesn't work very well, and neither does sending 2MB attachments or 20MB videos by GPRS. So they deliberately restrict what we can do by limiting the hardware to meet 80% of users needs. Which in one way is understandable, as we're the first to complain when things don't work or are just plain slow.

It seems like only yesterday that I bought my HTC TyTN and xda-developers was still small enough to get an overall grasp on so that you could read Sleuth's initial fumbling steps with the TyTN.

Several phones later, I sit like many others with my Omnia, which was cutting edge news three months ago and now feels a little "been there, done that". I am still enticed by the Touch HD, but reading your post I think the best thing for me to do is to go into "WinMo hibernation" mode, set-up my phone as the work/play-horse it was meant to be, and save my year's phone budget until I can get a high-def scroll device that supports an interactive holographic UI and has a Hollywood quality camera to take snaps or rather full-length feature films of my kids.

From the sounds of it, that will be around Christmas B)

...barring litigation in the U.S.

Edited by Quist09

It seems like only yesterday that I bought my HTC TyTN and xda-developers was still small enough to get an overall grasp on so that you could read Sleuth's initial fumbling steps with the TyTN.

Several phones later, I sit like many others with my Omnia, which was cutting edge news three months ago and now feels a little "been there, done that". I am still enticed by the Touch HD, but reading your post I think the best thing for me to do is to go into "WinMo hibernation" mode, set-up my phone as the work/play-horse it was meant to be, and save my year's phone budget until I can get a high-def scroll device that supports an interactive holographic UI and has a Hollywood quality camera to take snaps or rather full-length feature films of my kids.

From the sounds of it, that will be around Christmas B)

...barring litigation in the U.S.

I sympathise. I've certainly stopped chasing the "bling" and have settled for something more functional that gets the job done (Treo Pro, for a while at least).

Guest p3ngwin

there's a lot of truth in what you just said, it's a large portion of the bullshit that goes on between device manufacturer, network, and "end-user" customer.

There have been plenty of mobile phones with dedicated 3-D hardware and the sad truth is most have had no software access to justify their existence inside the device.

Whether it's due to a lack of drivers from the manufacturer of the multimedia/graphics accelerator, or if drivers are present they are not being used by the host OS and apps.

NVIDIA has been making mobile graphics accelerators for a few years now, yet these chips have been left completely idle in people's devices as there was no software to take advantage of them.

Have a look at this page to see NVIDIA's past mobile device graphics accelerators. Click on any of the GOFORCE series in left panel of that page, then ask yourself, how many devices took full advantage of this EXTRA chips?

(these chips were additional not part of any system-on-chip).

those chips were added to the device at cost to the end user without providing any functionality.... except to consume battery power.

This may or may not be NVIDIA's problem, as we do not know the details as to whether drivers were provided or not.

QUALCOMM and BROADCOMM make system-on-chips that include multimedia acceleration (Often provided by STMicroelectronics). both these companies have been guilty of not always provide in the necessary drivers to take full advantage of the entire chip unless a device manufacturer pays extra on top of the cost of the chips.

This was never more apparent than :

*the debacle of the HTC "kaiser/tytn2/tilt". where performance of the device was lower that of its predecessor.

*O2's "XDA flame" included the NVIDIA goforce 5500 chip, a separate multimedia accelerator that should have made the device one of the most powerful smart phones on the market........... had the chip been used by any software at all.

These days mobile devices have had multimedia and graphics acceleration for a few years now, with claims of being able to:

* push millions of polygons-

*do amazing texture filtering-

*support many megapixel cameras-

* record better than DVD quality video-

*DVD quality video teleconferencing

*-etc

yet the devices that include these very chips limited to:

*having no 3-D games developed for them

*two megapixel cameras

*QVGA video recording barely scraping 20 FPS

*No hardware accelerated video conferencing

*etc

It makes no sense for the device manufacturers to design such potentially powerful devices if the companies selling those devices have no intention to allow end-users to enjoy the full benefits.

This is one area where the potential of more "open" platforms, such as "ANDROID" and other LINUX-based devices, can be fully realised.

This is due to the possibility that end-users are allowed to be creative with their device to help realise its full potential.

being allowed it is an important difference.

it is the difference between current closed hardware and emerging open hardware.

an example of end user frustration due to closed systems is Apple's IPHONE. so many people felt restricted by Apple's dictation of how they should use their phone, that nature take its course with people finding a way to do what they believed was natural.

They jailbroke their phones.

In HTC's case, end users resorted to threatening the company with a lawsuit to get the promised potential out of the device. In Apple's case end users hacked their own phone to realise its potential.

If products sold in the world realised the potential of the hardware they were made from, the existence of communities like this and XDA-developers, etc would be unnecessary.

We would want, no more.

Until companies deliver on the promises, we will continue to finish the job for them unpaid.

EDITED: for clarity and error clean-up B)

Edited by p3ngwin

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.