Introducing... the HTC Touch HD

Guest mobiman2008

Woah there Nelly,

Check this out:

http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?partner=modaco&i=173552

Touch HD DUAL Pouch/case.

So there's possibly going to be 12/20 key versions of this as well?

Hmm, yes ...what to do???...

...but then, I hate using phone keypads to enter text - would rather use Transcriber or Tengo Thumb, my Tytn is on its last legs - it may not even last to November(!) so waiting for the HD Dual may not be an option and the aged keypad is the thing that's causing me most grief on my Tytn anyway, I'm breaking the bank at expecting to pay £590 for the HD and the HD Dual could be +£50 ....and thin is good!

I think I'm happy with my choice ...but then maybe I'm just trying persuade myself that I'm happy! ;)

Guest juiceppc

Hmmm Touch HD dual. It might get quite thick then you're looking at a rather large device. I dunno, with that screen size and all the soft keyboard options on WinMo I don't think I need a hard keyboard...

Now on the other hand if it were able to run full blown XP I would definitely want the keyboard.

Edited by juiceppc

Guest Syphon Filter
Hmm, yes ...what to do???...

...but then, I hate using phone keypads to enter text - would rather use Transcriber or Tengo Thumb, my Tytn is on its last legs - it may not even last to November(!) so waiting for the HD Dual may not be an option and the aged keypad is the thing that's causing me most grief on my Tytn anyway, I'm breaking the bank at expecting to pay £590 for the HD and the HD Dual could be +£50 ....and thin is good!

I think I'm happy with my choice ...but then maybe I'm just trying persuade myself that I'm happy! ;)

Nah I think the HD will come in at under the touch pro...surely?

Guest ignisuti

I definitely need a hardware keyboard as I intend to do a LOT of texting, email, and possibly even Word processing from my phone. I just don't like the time lag from softare keyboards. So, the PRO wins over the HD for me.

Now how do all you guys already have a PRO? I see that Sprint just announced the PRO will be available on October 19th for $299. That is what I'm planning to get.

Now on the other hand if it were able to run full blown XP I would definitely want the keyboard.

these mobile phones use CPU's that aren't X86 compatible, that is Intel's ISA language.

they will never be able to run any PC apps, including operating systems.

the only feasible way change what they do is to run a version of maybe Linux, then visualize XP. this is going to be incredibly slow due to the translation layer and because of the small CPU performance of the hardware.

the only options for elbow room on these mobile devices are to run different MOBILE operating systems, like flashing different WINmo versions, mobile linux and soon....Android ;)

Guest Mikeyb50

There's a podcast and hands on video in french, it looks massive (screen wise) and in the reviewers hand it also looks fairly substantial, but I have a dinky touch diamond so anything would look large in comparison. Windows 6.1 is wasted on this beast it needs windows 7 or andriod.........

Guest ignisuti

Mikeyb50, I want the last 12 minutes of my life back. The french film didn't answer either of my two questions.

Does the HTC Touch PRO play .avi files?

Where can I buy the TV out cable?

Mikeyb50, I want the last 12 minutes of my life back. The french film didn't answer either of my two questions.

Does the HTC Touch PRO play .avi files?

Where can I buy the TV out cable?

Hi ignisuti

You may get a better response from the Touch PRO (Raphael) section of the forum - we're talking about the Touch HD here.

However, I expect that out of the box the Touch PRO will only come with WMP which does not natively support .AVI until you at least install the codec - perhaps not even then. I use TCPMP on my Tytn which works great.

A quick Google search will give you ample choice of sources for the Touch PRO TV Out cable.

Unless someone's able to ask the question in French, we may have to wait until Paul et al get their stickies on a Touch HD to find out if this will support TV Out. From what I can see no one has commented either way in any review so far.

What I really want to know is how well TomTom Navigator will cope with the 5:3 Widescreen VGA 800x480 high resolution display.

Paul - If/when you get one of these could you test this out for me?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.