Introducing... the HTC Touch HD

Guest mobiman2008

Guest Menneisyys
What I really want to know is how well TomTom Navigator will cope with the 5:3 Widescreen VGA 800x480 high resolution display.

Paul - If/when you get one of these could you test this out for me?

All WVGA compatibility questions like this might also be worth asking in the G900 / G910 forums; for example, http://www.modaco.com/category/313/toshiba...900-modaco-com/ and http://www.myg900.com/

Guest Menneisyys
Personally (and currently having used an N95 as my main handset for over 12 months now), I find the sound of the N95 to be extremely disappointing for a media phone.

The constant hiss (I assume interference from the other electronics) is very annoying - you can hear it as soon as the sound system is enabled, even before any sound is played. And the lack of fine control over the volume is also bad (I find the volume to be over-loud for most situations when sitting in a quiet room - Java games being even worse than other applications).

You have different listening preferences than me ;)

I personally listen to music / podcasts via either the built-in speakers or A2DP. Via the latter, using the right headphones, the noise problem isn't really an issue (unlike with most wired headphones).

With the former, the N95 is just unbeatable compared to all the WinMo devices released so far. Not only because of the excellent stereo widening, but also of the loudness, frequency response etc. I've directly compared the N95 to the (very few - Universal, Wizard, Flame) stereo WinMo models and the N95 was better in every respect.

BTW, why I want to listen to stereo stuff at all via headphones: I swim (and, generally, also go to the sauna) almost every day. After swimming (and going to the sauna), I just prefer lying on a wooden bench and browse the Internet on whatever handset I have at hand, let it be WinMo, BlackBerry or Symbian. During this, I can only listen to music / stuff via the built-in speaker(s) because I don't want my expensive headphones to get wet. This is why I want good and stereo speakers in a handset.

I can only listen to music / stuff via the built-in speaker(s) because I don't want my expensive headphones to get wet. This is why I want good and stereo speakers in a handset.

have you tried the excellent motorolla s9 a2dp headset - it is "water resistant". have not plucked up the courage to actually swim in them yet, but they would prob handle the sauna. i'm surprised, though, that your device doesn't mind the moisture of a sauna - or are you using some kind of casing?

dr_nick

All WVGA compatibility questions like this might also be worth asking in the G900 / G910 forums; for example, http://www.modaco.com/category/313/toshiba...900-modaco-com/ and http://www.myg900.com/

On the G900 and G910 I had, TTN7's display worked OK, TTN6 did not (apart from 6.00.00)

TTN7 had other serious issues though, mainly that all audio commands were chopped off prematurely.

[rant]I suspect that is not TomTom's fault, but simply because Toshiba Mobile are totally incapable of producing a product that works properly or doing any usability testing before releasing their junk. Neither will you get any support if you are unfortunate enough to end up with one of their shoddy products.[/rant]

But as far as this question goes, yes, TTN7 will display on 800x480 landscape, so there is a good chance of it working on the X1.

Edited by Metoo

Guest ignisuti
What I really want to know is how well TomTom Navigator will cope with the 5:3 Widescreen VGA 800x480 high resolution display.

Paul - If/when you get one of these could you test this out for me?

TomTom's can't keep up with Garmin products. Get a Garmin Nuvi 700 or 800 series! They are badass!

Guest ignisuti
Er, we are talking about on WinMo here ignisuti? Hence, in conclusion, your post is completely irrelevant.

P

Sorry, I just heard TomTom and thought I'd pitch in my two cents. FYI: Garmin also makes a mobile navigation app. I think it is a one time purchase of $99. They supported the Touch Cruise and other HTC phones. So, I'd assume they'll support the HD and PRO as well.

Sorry, I just heard TomTom and thought I'd pitch in my two cents. FYI: Garmin also makes a mobile navigation app. I think it is a one time purchase of $99. They supported the Touch Cruise and other HTC phones. So, I'd assume they'll support the HD and PRO as well.

The nice thing about Garmin Mobile XT is that it pretty much works on anything you throw it at, including the WVGA G910, and also all those quirky GPS chipsets and screens like the Samsung i780 / Nokia E90. One licence / MicroSD covers you for all platforms (WM Pro/Std, S60, UIQ, PalmOS), with no activation required, and they even throw in free speedcam, traffic, and weather updates (and in the USA, local fuel prices!) if you have a data connection. So it's very handy to have around if you swap toys a lot - stick the card in and off you go. The downside is that can suffer considerable position "lag" on some devices and many prefer the UI of TTN.

Edited by Metoo

Guest Menneisyys
have you tried the excellent motorolla s9 a2dp headset - it is "water resistant". have not plucked up the courage to actually swim in them yet, but they would prob handle the sauna. i'm surprised, though, that your device doesn't mind the moisture of a sauna - or are you using some kind of casing?

dr_nick

Well, I prefer not to use them in the sauna. If I do take them to the sauna, I leave them on the floor, where there's only ~50C. I used to do this a lot with my iPAQ 3660 and 2210 back in 2003-2004 (taking them into the sauna but, of course, leaving them on the floor). Both are going OK even now; that is, they've survived.

(Of course, these are typical Finnish saunas, not the moisture ones.)

Is this the Google Phone??? it looks very similar?

Telegraph Article

;)

the article is TALKING about the Google Android platform, and the T-Mobile device "G1" that it will release 1st on......

BUT.....

the article is SHOWING the HTC TOUCH HD, a completely Unrelated device.

you could probably get Android to run on it, as the OS is open source and it will become available or get hacked.

as far as that article goes, words=Andoid, PICS=irrelevent

Guest SUPER-ZAHIR

Hey I'm new to this forum but I've got a few questions

Which phone do you guys think is going to be better, I was planning on getting a sony X1 as I can get one for around £250 as my mate knows someone who works in phones 4 u

But then I found out about the HD yesterday and I have to say I prefer the screen size and camera

Also on the X1 or HD will you be able to update WM 6.1 to 7.0?

Or would I be better of waiting to next year to see what phones will be available then?

Edited by SUPER-ZAHIR

Guest awarner (MVP)

Regarding updating and device to WM7 will require the networks or manufacturers to release a WM7 update.

By past experiences most devices do not get an major OS update of this nature, Networks etc prefer to sell new phones with new OS rather than take the time to support devices they have already sold.

This leaves the only other option and to wait for someone to "make" a compatable version and post it on sites like XDA Developers.

You can always wait and see what will be available but you will need to buy at some time. There is always something bigger and better round the corner.

£250 sounds like a real bargain and SIM free it would be very tempting to get.

Guest SUPER-ZAHIR
Regarding updating and device to WM7 will require the networks or manufacturers to release a WM7 update.

By past experiences most devices do not get an major OS update of this nature, Networks etc prefer to sell new phones with new OS rather than take the time to support devices they have already sold.

This leaves the only other option and to wait for someone to "make" a compatable version and post it on sites like XDA Developers.

You can always wait and see what will be available but you will need to buy at some time. There is always something bigger and better round the corner.

£250 sounds like a real bargain and SIM free it would be very tempting to get.

Well it would probably be on a network, but you can always unlock it,

Thing is I was looking at the features of WM7 and it looks wicked

http://www.gsmarena.com/hot_windows_mobile...ht-news-399.php

I'm thinking the HD would be better over the X1 as it has more ram for one as well as a bigger screen which is a lot better for watching films and browsing the net on.

So if I can get the HD for £250 which I should be able to I probably will, but will the HD be fast enough to run WM7 and do you think anyone would make an upgrade if the network or manufactures didn't?

I would be very surprise if someone did not.

agreed.

WinMo 7 should be better optimized for less abstraction layer performance losses, and the MSM72XX chip is a good balanced chip for performance and features. it's one reason it's so popular in many phones out now and other phones still to be released.

the amount of RAM/ROM in the TOUCH HD is excellent and should perform fine on WinMo 7. the next wave of processors that's we should care about are based on "snapdragon" and "Tegra" processors, along with the next generation ARM-based chips that companies like T.I. make.

after that, things get interesting as Intel gets it's X86 architecture efficient and small enough to get into "always on" phone-type devices and then all hell breaks loose as suddenly every piece of software written for the X86 PC architecture in ALL HISTORY becomes possible to run right on your mobile device WITHOUT recompilation.

drag and drop from our PC's desktop onto your phone!

CRYSIS isn't going to be played on the train home any time soon, but you can run full web browsers like firefox/opera/safari, run email clients same as your home PC, run older PC games.

imagine the architecture of the chips in your home PC being the SAME as in your mobile device, this is what Intel started towards when they made the XSCALE chips, and it's what they continue towards after the selling off of that chip to Marvel and designing the ATOM chips.

so WinMo 7 next year will be best on the next wave (snapdragon/nvidia/maybe T.I.'s OMAP), then after that....it gets foggy.

android and LiMo are going to get more popular simply because they'll be cheaper (free!) for companies to include, and also because there will be people "flashing" their devices from the pre-installed WinMo X to one of the alternative OS's.

Nokia has made the Symbian OS open source and even bought out Samsung's share of the pie to make it happen.

the next few years are going to be very interesting times ;)

Edited by p3ngwin

Guest SUPER-ZAHIR
agreed.

WinMo 7 should be better optimized for less abstraction layer performance losses, and the MSM72XX chip is a good balanced chip for performance and features. it's one reason it's so popular in many phones out now and still to be released.

the amount of RAM/ROM in the TOUCH HD is excellent and should perform fine on WinMo 7. the next wave of processors that's we should care about are based on "snapdragon" and "Tegra" processors, along with the next generation ARM-based chips that companies like T.I. make.

after that, things get interesting as Intel gets it's X86 architecture efficient and small enough to get into "always on" phone-type devices and then all hell breaks loose as suddenly every piece of software written for the X86 PC architecture in ALL HISTORY becomes possible to run right on your mobile device WITHOUT recompilation.

drag and drop from our PC's desktop onto your phone!

CRYSIS isn't going to be played on the train home any time soon, but you can run full web browsers like firefox/opera/safari, run email clients same as your home PC, run older PC games.

imagine the architecture of the chips in your home PC being the SAME as in your mobile device, this is what Intel started towards when they made the XSCALE chips, and it's what they continue towards after the selling off of that chip to Marvel and designing the ATOM chips.

so WinMo 7 next year will be best on the next wave (snapdragon/nvidia/maybe T.I.'s OMAP), then after that....it gets foggy.

android and LiMo are going to get more popular simply because they'll be cheaper (free!) for companies to include, and also because there will be people "flashing" their devices from the pre-installed WinMo X to one of the alternative OS's.

Nokia has made the Symbian OS open source and even bought out Samsung's share of the pie to make it happen.

the next few years are going to be very interesting times ;)

Just wondering why didn't they put an arm processor in this phone as the Archos 5 and 7 internet media tablets have them and their speed is 650mhz I think or was it 680mhz I can't remember.

Also your talking about theNvidia Tegra right?

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/page/tegra_600.html

Why don't Nvidia just make that phone lol, I was watching a video of it and they were playing Quake 3 on it!

Also will Nvidia realease the interface running on that demo phone to the main-stream as it a bit like TouchFLO but looks a lot better.

And lastly how long do you think the hTC HD will last in terms of before it would be good to upgrade and when will we start seeing atom processors in phones?

Actually one more thing will you be able to connect and external hardrive or dvd reader to the HD using a USB host mode as I know you can on the N810!

Just wondering why didn't they put an arm processor in this phone as the Archos 5 and 7 internet media tablets have them and their speed is 650mhz I think or was it 680mhz I can't remember.

the Qualcomm MSM72XX series IS based on an ARM design.

ARM are a British company that design RISC based CPU's. they don't actually MAKE them, they license the design so other companies can then make them, mod them or incorporate as part of a SOC (system on chip).

samsung, T.I. (texas instruments), Qualcomm, PA semi (now owned by Apple) all use ARM "based" designs.

Also your talking about theNvidia Tegra right?

YES

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/page/tegra_600.html

Why don't Nvidia just make that phone lol, I was watching a video of it and they were playing Quake 3 on it!

Also will Nvidia realease the interface running on that demo phone to the main-stream as it a bit like TouchFLO but looks a lot better.

The Nvidia interface on their demo device they said WILL be released to developers and device makers as a reference for how to make one (interface).

i'm not sure if Nvidia have given permission to use the exact same interface as they haven't explicitly said they have open sourced it/given it for free.

And lastly how long do you think the hTC HD will last in terms of before it would be good to upgrade and when will we start seeing atom processors in phones?

Qualcomm's "snapdragon" and Nvidia's "TEGRA" based devices will probably start showing up around the time WinMo 7 does, that is about 1H 2009 ;)

the performance of those chips will blow away the MSM72XX series :wacko:

Actually one more thing will you be able to connect and external hardrive or dvd reader to the HD using a USB host mode as I know you can on the N810!

The TOUCH HD only has USB "client", not "host". so it only enables itself to be recognised to other computers, the phone can't recognize anything plugged into it like hard drives, flash drives, etc.

(think of it like a one-way sensing, the phone is dumb to external connections and needs a "host machine" to accept it).

Guest SUPER-ZAHIR

Thats for clearing all that up p3ngwin, so It's probably best me waiting till next year to buy a new phone like the HD?

Edited by SUPER-ZAHIR

Guest Syphon Filter

So I went and had a play with the iPhone to get an idea of the how big this thing is going to feel. I think I could probably deal with it...the surface area of the face (ie the height and width) are made up for by the fact that it's thin (I'm talking comparatively with respect to the Touch Pro). I dont think I need to see the screen to know how good it is, if the screen on the Touch Pro is anything to go by then it should be great, obviously lower DPI but higher res and slightly larger would be welcome.

Also another thing I would like to see is if they have changed the way the on screen keyboards are no displayed. I would hope they have been tweaked so that they don't cover so much of the area in which you are typing. Time will tell, any word on a release date for this bad boy?

Thats for clearing all that up p3ngwin, so It's probably best me waiting till next year to buy a new phone like the HD?

depends what you're looking for in a device.

if you want a large screen, excellent resolution, great performance for most tasks (we'll see if HTC provide FULL graphics acceleration drivers!), light weight, good looks...

then this could easily be for you.

other people go for small size, fashion looks, number keypad,.....

there are so many ways that people want their device to be because everyone has a different reason for what they WANT it for.

it's purpose.

some people like some hardware buttons, hate touch-screen,etc

some people have a need to keep up with everybody else and what they see in magazines, other people care less about what it looks like and need it to DO something like a tool, a means to an end.

sometimes you hear people bitching about camera flash, because they need it for what they want it to do, while others see no point in a camera on a phone AT ALL.

Guest SUPER-ZAHIR
depends what you're looking for in a device.

if you want a large screen, excellent resolution, great performance for most tasks (we'll see if HTC provide FULL graphics acceleration drivers!), light weight, good looks...

then this could easily be for you.

other people go for small size, fashion looks, number keypad,.....

there are so many ways that people want their device to be because everyone has a different reason for what they WANT it for.

it's purpose.

some people like some hardware buttons, hate touch-screen,etc

some people have a need to keep up with everybody else and what they see in magazines, other people care less about what it looks like and need it to DO something like a tool, a means to an end.

sometimes you hear people bitching about camera flash, because they need it for what they want it to do, while others see no point in a camera on a phone AT ALL.

yeah your right

I was talking about next year though will we see much more improvement in preformance thats the only thing putting me off getting one off my mate when its out

Otherwise I'll deffo go ahead and get one

BTW syphon filter, as you have that name I take it you play / used to play the games which ones did you play?

As I played the 1st and 2nd ones online quite a bit 1st one more so that the 2nd

Edited by SUPER-ZAHIR

yeah your right

I was talking about next year though will we see much more improvement in preformance thats the only thing putting me off getting one off my mate when its out

Otherwise I'll deffo go ahead and get one

anything based on an Nvidia TEGRA or something with ARM "CORTEX" core based.

if you remember earlier i mentioned that almost all mobile phone devices have and ARM based architecture. well the latest and greatest design from ARM is their CORTEX design, it's part of the TI's OMAP series coming soon, part of Qualcomm's "snapdragon", and Samsung will make something based on it too.

these companies take the ARM CPU design, then they add-in some GRFX chip from Imagination technologies, or nvidia,etc, and that makes most of the SoC (system-on-chip).

after that add an LCD screen, some RAM/ROM, and the RADIO chips (bluetooth,cdma,3g,wi-fi,etc) and there you have your mobile device ;)

intel and some other companies around the world are working on "software radios". these are chips that can be reconfigured to change their transistor layout so they can be any "radio frequency" they want.

imagine the ease and flexibility of not having so many hardwired separate radio devices inside, one chip to rue them all!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.